Very Active Member MidLifeCrisis's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Belt & sprocket replacement?

A friend of mine told me his dealer has been told by BRP that belt changes require subsequent spoken changes as standard, if belt damage was the result of pebbles or other objects becoming wedged in the belt! I can understand if the sprockets were somehow seriously damaged, but that's not the case.

That's the craziest thing I've heard. Anyone hear of such a thing?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Spyder Garage

It is standard procedure to replace sprockets and belt at the same time with any drive system. I'm sure there are some who just replace the belt and you may get good results (depending on several factors). But if you replace the belt only, don't be disappointed of the belt doesn't last very long.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Default Belt & sprocket replacement?

So, what happened with the $300 belt replacement costs I used to read about? The rear sprocket alone is $350 and the front $100, plus belt, plus labor. That ends up being almost a grand for a belt change!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MidLifeCrisis View Post
    So, what happened with the $300 belt replacement costs I used to read about? The rear sprocket alone is $350 and the front $100, plus belt, plus labor. That ends up being almost a grand for a belt change!

The replacement of the Sprockets would be if the belt was damaged by foreign bodies being wedged between the belt and sprockets. This would scar the sprockets and cause excessive belt wear in the future. If for some reason you had to change a belt with out damage to the sprockets it would not need to be replaced.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DaveNur View Post
    One more justified reason to go to a drive shaft.
    While shaft drives are great, they have issues as well. BMW had lots of Pinion shaft issues with their shaft drives a few years ago. Anything made by man will wear out and break just differently. Shaft dries also have a pop stick effect on acceleration. More noticeable in some bike that others. The heavier the bike the less the effect.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I like the idea of a shaft drive; but the width of the rear tire and wheel would force it to take up precious saddlebag space...
    They do seem to last an awful long time; what's wrong with taking a good peek under the Tupperware while Baby gets a new "Rubber Band"?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ga Blue Knight View Post
    The replacement of the Sprockets would be if the belt was damaged by foreign bodies being wedged between the belt and sprockets. This would scar the sprockets and cause excessive belt wear in the future. If for some reason you had to change a belt with out damage to the sprockets it would not need to be replaced.
    That's more along the lines of what I was thinking. In the end, the dealer ended up changing the belt only, as there was very little to no pitting to the sprockets. I was just kind of surprised when told belts and sprockets had to be changed simultaneously.

I agree with Ron. It may still be a good idea, depending on any wear evidence and mileage, but different than it being a requirement.

Spyder Garage

Just how long should a belt last? Most motocycle belts last 50,000 miles and more. Tom

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    It is standard procedure to replace sprockets and belt at the same time with any drive system. I'm sure there are some who just replace the belt and you may get good results (depending on several factors). But if you replace the belt only, don't be disappointed of the belt doesn't last very long.
    What's the benefit of this then?
    I thought the benefit of going from a chain to a belt was that the belt wore down and the sprockets didn't, as opposed to a chain where the whole system wears out.
    I'd rather have a drive shaft.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey