Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WackyDan View Post
    Flash point of gas is near 495 degrees. If the bike was shutoff for near any amount of time, the danger would be gone and with it not running you eliminate most electrical arcing/sparks that could have been present.

So yeah... real mystery here.
    495F is around the autoignition temperature and around -47F is the flashpoint for gas.

Here's what I found interesting and they're not my words.:

"A material's autoignition or ignition temperature is the temperature at which a material self-ignites without any obvious sources of ignition, such as a spark or flame."

The temps. between the flashpoint and autoignition require an ignition source.

daveinva,

I misspoke in my above post. Of course I may have also misunderstood what I read regarding flashpoint and autoignition.
    Last edited by wyliec; 06-24-2013 at 11:49 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    495F is around the autoignition temperature and around -47F is the flashpoint for gas.

Here's what I found interesting and they're not my words.:

"A material's autoignition or ignition temperature is the temperature at which a material self-ignites without any obvious sources of ignition, such as a spark or flame."

The temps. between the flashpoint and autoignition require an ignition source.

daveinva,

I misspoke in my above post. Of course I may have also misunderstood what I read regarding flashpoint and autoignition.
    Ahhhh... Good point.

* And look folks, I don't think anyone is claiming that there is some wide spread problem with Spyders self igniting. There isn't, but many have some memories of a few years back when there seemed to be a trend of it. So we get a bit sensitive when something like this is captured on film in all it's glory.

Spyder Garage

Ahhhh... Good point.

* And look folks, I don't think anyone is claiming that there is some wide spread problem with Spyders self igniting. There isn't, but many have some memories of a few years back when there seemed to be a trend of it. So we get a bit sensitive when something like this is captured on film in all it's glory.
    It's not like the Dodge pickups you see on the side of the road and at junk yards with the front burned up... they are almost as common as armadillo road kill around here.

In any case I hope they can pinpoint the source of the disaster...

JT

Very Active Member Desert Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JaymeG33 View Post
    It was brought to my attention today that the video was posted on here. So I finally got a chance to read thru this thread. Let me first say that I was the one taking the video, and flipping between video and picture taking. I can tell you what I saw and what I didn't see.

So here ya go:

First of all, I did not see a bag. I'm not saying that there wasn't one there, there was a slight breeze and one could have blown thru that parking lot.
    It was 90+ degrees. This happened at the end of the demo day, approx 430-440pm. The machines got very little time turned off between demo rides.
    The 'potential customers' were taking their preride testing in the coned off area. They didn't even make it out for the street ride yet.
    All of the machines at the demo ride were semi-auto's.
    The Spyders were not taken to gas stations to be refueled. When the I spoke with the VERY RUDE BRP Rep earlier in the day before this happened, he told me that they keep the back of the rig open for refueling the Spyders.
    As this machine burned, the parking brake released and drifted back towards the crowd. They put a road cone behind the rear wheel to stop it from rolling. You can see the cone in the video.
    The BRP reps did try to put out the fire with multiple fire extinguishers. They tried to unlatch the seat. As they would try to pull the side of the seat back, you could see that they entire section under the tupperware was cherry red.
    Finally they just walked away and let it burn. Total burn time was approx 10 minutes. The fastest I've ever seen $30,000 go up in flames.

As soon as the fire was put out by the fire department, the BRP representatives scattered like cockroaches and were no where to be found. By this time the media was there and I'm sure that they were avoiding being interviewed.

I posted this video because there is always something to be learned from such tragedys. I was not the ONLY one taking pics and video. Mine just happened to get posted first I suppose, approx 14 hours AFTER the incident. It's not like I hit some automatic upload button instantly.

I love my Spyder and wouldn't trade it for anything. Accidents happen and that's the bottom line. This expericnce was exciting and terrifying all at the same time. It really snaps you into reality witnessing something like this. I'm glad it wasn't someones personal machine.

Now, with that all being said....
    The very next day, our Club participated in the parade for Thunder in the Valley. After the parade was over, we rode over to the BRP Rig to park. It was another 90+ degree day and one of our members 2011 RT temp light came on and went into Limp Mode. I instructed her to turn it off immediately and just park it to cool. For god sakes we didn't need ANOTHER fire. The BRP Rep came over and told her that she needed to move her Spyder because she was parked behind his KIA REALLY? I told him that it wasn't moving. PERIOD. He told me that we (meaning Spyder owners) weren't welcome there anyways. Entirely OUT OF LINE in my opinion. Last I checked, if it wasn't for all of us buying their products HE wouldn't have a job. SO...ultimately took MY SPYDER up the street to the SUZUKI demo rig and I was welcomed to park it there so the woman with the over heated RT could let her machine cool down without further potential problems. I'd LOVE to talk to BRP about this incident. I'm sure they can find my phone # in their database in Canada. I'm available anytime.....
    Unbelievable. Thanks Jayme for the update.
    Happy Spyder Owner
    States visited on the Spyder.
    And if we live life without a passion, then we're not living.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jthornton View Post
    It's not like the Dodge pickups you see on the side of the road and at junk yards with the front burned up... they are almost as common as armadillo road kill around here.

In any case I hope they can pinpoint the source of the disaster...

JT
    There were tens of thousands of those pickups sold over and above that of the Spyder... So the perception of common incident may be just that. On the other hand, we have spyders that have a fairly close knit online community versus that of your average everyday truck.

Spyder Garage

There were tens of thousands of those pickups sold over and above that of the Spyder... So the perception of common incident may be just that. On the other hand, we have spyders that have a fairly close knit online community versus that of your average everyday truck.
    The perception was you see a burned up truck in the last 10 years on the side of the road or at a junk yard it was a Dodge Ram almost every time, not a Chevy, Ford or any other brand. I'm really bad at making a point and the point I was trying to make is it is rare to see a Chevy or Ford or any other brand of truck that caught fire. Spyders belong to the rare club and not the Dodge club from what I've seen on the web and on the side of the road. At least we don't use T-stoff for fuel...

JT

magical member
    Spyder Garage

, now I'm worried the odds are against me, I have a Dodge Ram and a Spyder.

harry

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by harrypottar View Post

harry
    Sold your Yugo, huh?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

As someone else said here that's why we carry insurance and if you did not know this StateFarm that's who holds all my insurance has allowed me to increase my insurance on my 2011 RT Limited to cover all my Farkels. So for just an extra 50 dollars a year im covered for 8 grand(total of all farkels on rt to date). If my Rt ever caught fire I would just let it burn...I love the bike but I don't want a bike repaired that has ever been that hot.

Spyder Garage

harry
    I've had one Dodge RAM, my son has had 2, and the gf's brother-in-law has had one for quite a while. I guess I've not been looking to closely along the side of the road for burned up RAM's.

Spyder Garage

harry

The Almighty tells me he can get me out of this mess, but he's pretty sure you're f***ed.

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

Default Not sure what caused this....

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    The Almighty tells me he can get me out of this mess, but he's pretty sure you're f***ed.
    Love the Braveheart reference!!

Spyder Garage

Lot's of jumping to conclusions out here.... you'd think we'd all be super-thin with so much exercise.....

A machine that burns gasoline in order to propel itself catches fire.....while rare.... should this be THAT shocking? every vehicle ever made that burns fuel has a risk of catching fire.

Sometimes it happens... sometimes with an Sh on the front of it.

Spilled gas? Not likely... I've spilled gas directly on a hot engine and pipes before.... no fire. Liquid gas doesn't burn.... the vapor does...

Carrying a fire extinguisher? While I appreciate the reasons given....helping others, etc..... there's no way in hell that I'll try and put out a burning spyder with a fire extinguisher.... and I'll tell anyone tying to put mine out NOT to do so. Get the hell away from the burning machine and wait for the experts to arrive... unless there is danger to others, your house, etc.....

This is why we have insurance.... it's not worth getting burnt trying to save a motorcycle.

I'm still not a fan of the evap cans. Have not removed mine from my RT... yet.. but didn't have one on my GS for the last 40,000 miles I put on it.

Thanks for sharing the video. I actually think this is the perfect place to have this happen... wide out in the open so BRP has to address it.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Thanks for sharing the video. I actually think this is the perfect place to have this happen... wide out in the open so BRP has to address it.

....and we're gonna ride, we're gonna ride.....

ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds, with
    the devil close behind,.....we're gonna ride....

2008 GS.....PE # 2888

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have to disagree on spiled gas not startig a fire. Guess it could be possible with a Spyder, But it is very possible with a T-120 Bonnavile. (sp).
    Back in the old days, when a customer was not allowed to pump their own gas, it happened. A Bunch of us "limey" riders pulled into a gas station. The attendent came out and oug guy at the pump asked if he could pump the gas. The attendent said, no and proceeded pump gas full force. I splashed all the place and we all ran/got the other bikes out of the way. the fire took care of everything else. Of course, no cell phones in those days. A guy rode about a half mile to another station to report the fire. Even the attendents car was burned up.
    Oldmanzues

Between Fort Worth and Wichita Falls Texas
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    ........ I actually think this is the perfect place to have this happen... wide out in the open so BRP has to address it.
    My thoughts exactly.

Spyder Garage

Default I was there also and i posted the picks here

https://www.facebook.com/mark.kubice...8667042&type=3

The rumor that was going around at the time was the breaks were on and no alarm sounded and they heated up and caused the fire! But the fire started in the engine compartment! not on the tires. didn't here about the bag untill i read Lamont's post. I just got back from vacation so thats why the late post!
    Last edited by kubie; 06-26-2013 at 08:55 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Final conclusion... BRP has a "hot PR problem" on their hands.

Pictures and vids are all over the Internet and most particularly on the blogs of motorcycles that are not fans of the machine. The jokes are rampant... although these things typically do slow down after a while.

The publicity it is generating could be, in my mind, as long-standing as the era of the AMF years were for Harley motorcycles. There are people to this day that still believe HD's suffer the same ailments as those years of AMF's mismanagement of Harley.

No matter how anyone wants to smooth this out, this event will have long-standing consequences in the public perception of Spyders. I can only wish it would not have happened.

I hope someone at BRP is losing sleep over this... If not, then there IS a problem in my mind.