Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Not sure what caused this....

....but it's not good.

Spyder Garage

I am thinking the rider had more than a hot right foot on that baby?
    2011 RTS SM5

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Exclamation there's another thread about it

Seems a plastic bag got sucked up and into engine compartment while a new rider was taking a test ride and caused a fuel line to leak & a fire. Thankfully no injuries Avoid those bags

Spyder Garage

Default Wow..!!

someone tried to post a link but didn't work. Worst place and time to go up in flames..wonder if they will ever lets us know what happened...!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

So sad...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I'd say that's a total loss....why I carry an extinguisher with me at all times...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I had read about this...

Given a history of this happening too regularly a few years ago... there apparently remains a concern yet today.

Whether it is was a plastic-bag or not; fuel lines shouldn't be easily knocked loose, and vehicles shouldn't just catch fire.

SL #7026
    VBA #652
    HOG #3935417
    2011 Viper-Red Spyder RT SE5 & Trailer
    2017 HD Ultra Limited
    Former Rides: 2014 HD Ultra Limited; '04 Kawa Nomad; '09 HD Ultra-Classic; and many Hondas through the years.
    Spyder Newbies Do's & Do Not's: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Littlebadwolf View Post
    I'd say that's a total loss....why I carry an extinguisher with me at all times...
    Extinguisher didn't help in this case. Sny had an issue at owners event, the master cilinder for the brakes cracked and blew brake fluid onto the exhaust pipe, but his is a st.
    Corbin saddle
    spyderpops block off plate, bump skid, belt guard
    IPS
    Tricled LED lights all around(too many to name here)
    Smoothspyder belt tensioner
    Custom Dynamics britesides
    VTC floorboards, upper air vents, spoiler
    BK car stuff HID upgrade
    trailer hitch
    Repainted rear fender, trunk latch assembly, switch cluster, gauge cluster
    cell phone interface kit
    travel cover that no longer fits due to the spoiler
    New sway bar
    New shock relocator

Spyder Garage

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Get those cannister vent lines extended as far away from the engine as possible!
    Happy Owner

Between Fort Worth and Wichita Falls Texas
    Spyder Garage

No way a darn plastic bag by itself should do that. Even if it got caught on a fuel line. Makes me wonder if BRP has really answered their recall that supposedly addressed fires.
    Do things like your life depends on it. It COULD!

Spyder Garage

It would be interesting to see if the actual cause could be determined. Note in the beginning, the fire is centered around the seat. Fire extinguishers were useless because the main body of fire was under the tupperware. They knocked the fire down but not out. You can see it being pushed from one side to the other. Just before the firefighter hit it with water, the fuel tank vented. That's the "rocket" type flame you see shooting up.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Very Active Member MidLifeCrisis's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Not sure what caused this....

Now do they believe the hot foot issue?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This really couldn't have happened at a much worse time or place...
    People taking test rides...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Wife and I rode this very Spyder the day before. Tom

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Littlebadwolf View Post
    Regular extinguishers didn't put it out in the first part of the video. I'm not sure a baby extinguisher carried on board would have done any better. Very fortunate when the gas cap went that the fire sputed straight upward. Sideways could have really hurt someone. It may be hard to watch them burn, but it's a lot harder to recover from third degree burns. JMHO
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Vehicles shouldn't catch fire at all... no matter the reason. I realize, on occasion, you will hear of a vehicle or bike catching on fire... but it is a rare occurrence based on any specific model or brand. However, not so with the Spyder.

I still have to discuss the comments from those (non-believers) who spout-out about how they catch fire. Things like this do no easily go away. Car manufacturers have had to stop making certain models through the years due to stigmas they have.

Someone said it was not the best place for a fire. I would agree. The adverse publicity of this video is beginning to go viral on the net will do damage to the perception of Spyders, no matter the cause or situation.

BRP cannot be happy about that... or at least shouldn't be.

Maybe it will get their attention... who knows.

SL #7026
    VBA #652
    HOG #3935417
    2011 Viper-Red Spyder RT SE5 & Trailer
    2017 HD Ultra Limited
    Former Rides: 2014 HD Ultra Limited; '04 Kawa Nomad; '09 HD Ultra-Classic; and many Hondas through the years.
    Spyder Newbies Do's & Do Not's: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have no idea if it's related but when doing some general maintenance I noticed two lines that were rubbing pretty hard on the motor. The main fuel line to the throttle bodies had worn totally through the split loom and had rubbed slightly on the fuel line itself. The other was one of the vac line that had rubbed pretty good. Not nearly through the line, but enough that with only about 5k miles it made me concerned what they would look like down the road.....

These are two areas that I think everyone might want to take a look at. Especially the main fuel line leading to the throttle bodies from the fuel filter.... I also attached a pic of how I added a piece to prevent any future concerns.
    Motor on!

Spyder Garage

not the best advert for a demo ride.......
    1. it is what it is - 2014 Black RT-S - Baja Ron Anti-Sway bar, lots of LEDs, Spyderpops Skid Plate, Twisted Sister HID Driving Lights, Tricled 2nd, 3rd & 4th brake lights, F4 Customs vented windshield, Lamonster highway pegs, Ultimate Tall Boy seat, Utopia backrest

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Spyder_Cowgirl's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Not the First

Sure it's not the best advertisement for the Spyder. However, as it's not the first to catch fire (I know of at least one other video and also of one Girls on Spyders member whose machine caught fire), maybe it will wake BRP up to the fact that there REALLY IS A PERSISTENT PROBLEM WITH THE VENTING SYSTEM ON SOME OF THESE MACHINES. Just look at all the threads regarding "gas smell" .... IMHO, the previous fires and this one probably have the same root cause (and it's something that BRP, unfortunately, has not paid proper attention to).

Maybe, since this was one of their own machines ... it will wake them up and result in a true solution that improves safety for all of us.

So, while it's not great advertising ... I think it couldn't of happened in a better spot; but only if BRP thoroughly investigates and comes up with something that stops these fires from happening for good. As above ..."vehicles shouldn't catch fire"!

Best Regards .... Ann
    __________________________________________________ _
    2016 RT Limited -- "Jubilee" (as in Cherries)
    Guardian Bell (gift from spyderowboy)
    ISCI Dual Flag Mount – Tall Poles
    Lamonster Bottle Holder and Spyder Cuff
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Rear Run / Brake / Turn LEDs
    Spyderpops Mirror LEDs
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake

Spyderpops Keep Out The Trash (KOTT) Grills
    Don't Eat Mud / mudflap
    __________________________________________________ __

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If this fire is cause by a fuel hose deteriorating(chaffing)then BRP should replace them with stainless braided fuel hoses to prevent this from happening. They (BRP) should make a recall and get this solve. I am worried and I don't want to take a change and everybody should. Let's all rally and get BRP take action asap.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

Default My 2013 Spyder RT-S boils the gas in a full tank pushing vapors/smell out of canister

I wrapped exhaust header pipes near gas tank, & put 1000 deg heat reflecting insulation around gas tank. Gas vent smell stopped, & gas not boiling after riding.
    BRP would be wise to address this dangerous issue. Jim

Spyder Garage

It was a plastic removal demo, impressive.
    Happy Spyder Owner
    ISCI Floorboards, Ebrake extension peg, Hand Brake, and hyway pegs, tjfisher2 passenger peg extension, BRP 23" Ultra Touring Windshied, Backrest, Fog Lights, 12volt accessory plug, NMN 4" handlebar risers, Auto Zone red LEDs, BRP Comfort seat, Evoluzione sway bar, powerbus, powerlets and air shock.

Spyder Garage

Default Re: Not sure what caused this....

Plastic removal demo!

From Deep in the Hart of Texas!
    2012 RT A&C bought new 42312 sold July 2018 56k miles currently driving a 2014 RTSE6 LTD bought October 2018 w 6800 miles nicely farkled
    2014 RT SE6 LTD , White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CyncySpyder View Post
    Seems a plastic bag got sucked up and into engine compartment while a new rider was taking a test ride and caused a fuel line to leak & a fire. Thankfully no injuries Avoid those bags
    That sounds a bit far fetched to me. Have you ever looked at the underside of a Spyder? It's basically solid plastic panels and steel frame. To somehow get past all of that and break a fuel line? Really? I am having some trouble with that.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Default How often does this type of thing happen?

Okay,

Being new to the Spyder etc., and seeing this, kinda blows the confidence a little bit.

How often have there been fires that involved Spyders? I think I know of 3 since joining this forum when we bought our 2012 in December.

What model seems to be the most involved in fires?

Is it something we all should be taking the units to dealers and paying them to extend vacuum lines from the cannister and re-enforcing fuel lines that rub against the motor housings?

I know we have insurance but this is one of those scary subjects, just about as bad as deer!

I too really doubt a plastic bag could have gotten sucked into the motor area causing this. Wondering how they say a plastic bag did it? Wish we knew more details on this one.

Like others have stated---I think having this happen when and where it did and getting the publicity that it is and has, may just make BRP take a closer look and act accordingly, or at least one could hope.

I just pray none of us will go through this----can you imagine what it could have been like had the rider been on and NOT knowing it was catching on fire, the melting tupperware etc., WOW!

I'll be following this thread closely. I hope we learn more and more on this.

Thank you Lamont and others for posting and discussing this. Together we all can help each other and BRP!

2015 RT-Limited SE6-TricLED Fender LED's (Red and Amber), 3rd LED Brake Light/Tail Light, ISCI Handbrake with black small hands handle,Spyderpops Rock Guard. ,Can-Am Adjustable Wing Vents, Bumpskid, Bajaron's Sway-Bar with metal Heim Joints. Elkas Stage 2 Plus., TricLED Wide-VU Mirrors, TricLED Jumper Port, Laser Aligned!