Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Swerving.. Spyder or human error?

Hi community,

I purchased my STS 2013 in April, has about 2800 miles on it. Just now found time to ask a few questions

During my 600 mile maintenance I received new ball joints. At first I thought it was the roads that I was driving on, but I'm not sure so I'm looking for any thoughts from other spyder lovers!

When driving at speeds above 50MPG it feels like the steering wheel or front end is extremely sensitive which feels like I'm swerving from left to right and can't seem to keep a straight line. Also, when braking hard
    (almost reaching ABS lockup), its very easy to go left or right and not stay straight.

Is it just me or could something be out of whack with my machine? Any help is greatly appreciated as always!

Spyder Garage

Go back to the dealer and have him align the front end, too, using the procedures and tools developed for the 2013 model. Too little toe-in will make the Spyder real skittish. Also check your front tire pressure. Too much or too little can do the same thing. I'd recommend starting around 18 psi annd experimenting between 15-20 up front. Human error can be entering into the equation, too. Be sure and hold the handlebars loosely, don't overcontrol, and remember not to countersteer.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Also have them check the front shocks there were some bad ones on some 2013
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Majority rule..!!

Have them check it out completely. Especially the alignment and ties pressure...!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

"It's a poor mechanic who always blames his tools..."
    No doubt; have them check the alignment, and play around a bit with the front tire pressures...
    But don't forget what else Scotty said, " Be sure and hold the handlebars loosely, don't overcontrol,"
    I'm not saying that it's your fault; I'm just saying that it might not be all the machine's fault...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Have them check it out completely. Especially the alignment and ties pressure...!!
    Tire pressure is good both fronts are at 18 with 28 on back.

I spoke to the dealership, they said that the 2013 models do not undergo alignment as the front end was redesigned to help with the handling and that they don't have anything to align them with equipment wise. Dealership is Fredericksburg Motor sports (http://www.fmscycles.com/index.htm)

They said Spyders have a bad tendency to feel "floaty" and I'm not use to it yet. I've put 3000+ miles on my ST since April and feel pretty comfortable. The feeling change was noticed after the ball joint replacement they did for me.

Have I been mislead and any other thoughts?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dadunston View Post

I spoke to the dealership, they said that the 2013 models do not undergo alignment as the front end was redesigned to help with the handling and that they don't have anything to align them with equipment wise. Dealership is Fredericksburg Motor sports (http://www.fmscycles.com/index.htm)
    Did you buy that?

Don't!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Did you buy that?

Don't!

I did lol! I'm calling BRP to get something in an email to show the dealership, I'm starting to feel unsafe on this thing and the dealership is actually refusing to take my money because they said its not possible. A dealership refusing money, OMFG.

Spyder Garage

Yeah right.....a suspension like the spyders, and no adjustment? I guess all those screw in links and rod ends and ball joints just get screwed in until they "feel right", the suspension is designed to work around it? Not a chance.

Spyder Garage

Tire pressure is good both fronts are at 18 with 28 on back.

They said Spyders have a bad tendency to feel "floaty" and I'm not use to it yet. I've put 3000+ miles on my ST since April and feel pretty comfortable. The feeling change was noticed after the ball joint replacement they did for me.

Have I been mislead and any other thoughts?
    I'd sure try to find another dealer. Not only can they be aligned, there is a new procedure, new specs, new tools, and a Knowledge Base article outling the procedure. Have them contact BRP dealer tech support for advice.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    I'd sure try to find another dealer. Not only can they be aligned, there is a new procedure, new specs, new tools, and a Knowledge Base article outling the procedure. Have them contact BRP dealer tech support for advice.
    Do you happen to have a knowledge base article link and the procedure name so I can go harder with my facts?

I called 3 dealers and they are all saying the same thing about there not being a need to align them because they only have "toe", I'm not car part savy.

Spyder Garage

Do you happen to have a knowledge base article link and the procedure name so I can go harder with my facts?

I called 3 dealers and they are all saying the same thing about there not being a need to align them because they only have "toe", I'm not car part savy.
    I've also found this link:

http://spydertechnician.blogspot.com...ter-wheel.html

Spyder Garage

They do only have toe-in alignment, but that is what tends to make them wander. It is still alignment. Lazy, uninformed dealers give me a rash! Sorry, I don't have access to the Knowledge Base article. The draft KB article or Service Bulletin was posted here when all the 2013s were having wandering problems at first blush. BTW, 18 is a little high up front for the 2013's. Try 15-16 and see if it is better. Remember, tire pressures are supposed to be measured cold.
    Last edited by NancysToy; 07-09-2013 at 12:48 PM.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

They do only have toe-in alignment, but that is what tends to make them wander. It is still alignment. Lazy, uninformed dealers give me a rash! Sorry, I don't have access to the Knowledge Base article. The draft KB article or Service Bulletin was posted here when all the 2013s were having wandering problems at first blush. BTW, 18 is a little high up front for the 2013's. Try 15-16 and see if it is better. Remember, tire pressures arte supposed to be measured cold.
    I've got a lot to learn! thanks for the support and prompt replies! (highfive)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They do only have toe-in alignment, but that is what tends to make them wander. It is still alignment. Lazy, uninformed dealers give me a rash! Sorry, I don't have access to the Knowledge Base article. The draft KB article or Service Bulletin was posted here when all the 2013s were having wandering problems at first blush. BTW, 18 is a little high up front for the 2013's. Try 15-16 and see if it is better. Remember, tire pressures are supposed to be measured cold.
    Scotty, just curious why you think 18 is too high on the 2013? Mine was delivered with 21 in the front and I did drop it down to 18 but I thought 15 - 16 was too low
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear of your issues with the . Lazy or incompetent dealer(s) seem to be at the root of the issue here. Please keep us informed as you work on getting your problem(s) solved

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Scotty, just curious why you think 18 is too high on the 2013? Mine was delivered with 21 in the front and I did drop it down to 18 but I thought 15 - 16 was too low
    Everybody has their own personal "Comfort Level" for suspension settings... BRP seems to universally suggest tire pressure settings that are quite low; perhaps to give a nice, cushy ride.
    What they don't seem to have realized yet; is that some of us are enthusiasts... We'll gladly sacrifice some ride comfort for better handling!

Spyder Garage

The new, lower profile tires seem to like a little less pressure than the earlier models did. The new ones are a little more "squirmy" at the higher pressures, from what I have heard...and the increase above the OEM recommended pressure is no longer needed to counteract the tire portion of the body roll with the more rigid tires.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Why is it that dealerships today have such a long list of 'Can'ts'?

If the front end can't be aligned, then why are there adjustments on the tie rods?

Why is there a detailed procedure for proper alignment from BRP?

Amazing! But the fact remains that if the customer doesn't know more than the dealer you could be in big trouble.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Cool Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post

If the front end can't be aligned, then why are there adjustments on the tie rods?

Amazing! But the fact remains that if the customer doesn't know more than the dealer you could be in big trouble.
    And if it wasn't for guys like you and Scotty, I would still be sitting here saying "Duh". I just wanted to thank all you guys for stepping up to the plate with answers so we can go to our dealers a lot more informed.

Spyder Garage

The new, lower profile tires seem to like a little less pressure than the earlier models did. The new ones are a little more "squirmy" at the higher pressures, from what I have heard...and the increase above the OEM recommended pressure is no longer needed to counteract the tire portion of the body roll with the more rigid tires.

I ran 18 psi front on my 2008. My STS was delivered with 13 psi. I pumped it up to 18 and didn't like the ride or handling. I settled on 16 as good for me. I doubt tire pressure is the OP's problem, but I'd try 15-16 psi and see if you like it better,
    2013 ST-S SE Pure Magnesium

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

So far, I've been running 14 on the front and 24 on the back on my 2013 RS-S and love the way it handles.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I will say that when I dropped my front tire pressure from 21 to 18 it did help the handling.
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jharpo View Post
    And if it wasn't for guys like you and Scotty, I would still be sitting here saying "Duh". I just wanted to thank all you guys for stepping up to the plate with answers so we can go to our dealers a lot more informed.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post

Its really amazing that they would deny doing work for pay through lack of knowledge. This type of thinking is becoming more common with the smaller rural dealerships as their trained techs leave for better paying jobs. When the Spyder first came out the dealerships had to have a trained tech. Now years later there either does not seem to be a requirement anymore or BRP is not checking. This is not a good direction to be heading in for a long term future for the Spyder. While I don't mind riding 110 miles for the next closest dealer I doubt many new riders will se that a ok.