Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default New enabled Spyder rider. Adaptions and advice needed. Is there a Walker holder?

Hi, What an inspiring group of enthusiasts contributing here. I'm asking this for my non-computer savvy dad. About Dad: the youngest, funniest, most enthusiastic 88-year old EVER. Wounded badly in WWll but not immobile, old age is the culprit here. Rheumatoid arthritis causing hand and wrist pain and issues, neuropathy causing walking issues (numb feet), broken leg (near hip) surgery bungled causing walking issues and finally, vertigo causing balance roulette (never knows when it will kick in). He can't walk too far w/o a walker nor can he stand very long. He just purchased a 2008 SM5 with 2000 miles and is thrilled to be able to ride again. ( My sister and I are thrilled because we can only hear about his Norton and Indian and suicide shift about 2 more times.) He will need the hand brake and I'm pretty sure he will need the floorboards. Is there a rider here who transports a walker that can offer suggestions? Also due to the botched surgery, it is very difficult for him to get his leg over to get on the ride. Anybody got tips? Anything else you can suggest? Anybody in So. Cal? Thanks for your expertise. He's the greatest dad and we're so happy for him to be able to get on the road again! BTW, if you are in the area, he would love to pick your brain or just "shoot the breeze". I guarantee you will be very entertained by him. His home brew label is below (Tres Pendejos -"Home brew for the Homeboys") His name is Stan (but also answers to "Pendejo").
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by White Widower; 06-21-2013 at 04:06 AM. Reason: too small

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by White Widower View Post
    Also due to the botched surgery, it is very difficult for him to get his leg over to get on the ride. Anybody got tips?
    Gave our neighbors a ride a couple weeks ago. Took some coaxing but since his wife and daughter-in-law returned in one piece I guess he figured he would too. He and his wife have a very clear view of 80 from both sides and had never been on a motorcycle let alone a Spyder even though their son and his wife ride. Daughter-in-law is looking real close at a Spyder of her own.

Anyway, our neighbor has knees that are not his own. Range of motion is not all that great so not only was it difficult he couldn't get his leg over in the traditional way. So, mounting from the left I had him put his right foot on the passenger foot rest and stand, which he was able to do, then sit sidesaddle as it were on the back half of the seat. Then it was just a matter of grabbing his leg and hoisting it over. If one happens to be the rider then I imagine scooting forward wouldn't be a problem.

Baja Ron - Dimple - Ultimate - Lamonster Garage - K&N - Smoothspyder - Amsoil - Hiflo - FOBO - Spyderpops

Sena - Dynaplug - Shoei - Tourmaster - Garmin

Spyder Garage

Default Great idea!

Quote Originally Posted by 2 Cruysyn View Post
    Gave our neighbors a ride a couple weeks ago. Took some coaxing but since his wife and daughter-in-law returned in one piece I guess he figured he would too. He and his wife have a very clear view of 80 from both sides and had never been on a motorcycle let alone a Spyder even though their son and his wife ride. Daughter-in-law is looking real close at a Spyder of her own.

Anyway, our neighbor has knees that are not his own. Range of motion is not all that great so not only was it difficult he couldn't get his leg over in the traditional way. So, mounting from the left I had him put his right foot on the passenger foot rest and stand, which he was able to do, then sit sidesaddle as it were on the back half of the seat. Then it was just a matter of grabbing his leg and hoisting it over. If one happens to be the rider then I imagine scooting forward wouldn't be a problem.
    Do you mean to scoot back to passenger seat? I think that is an excellent suggestion because he is tall 6'2" - well, that was before he shrank - another joy of aging! Let's call it 6ft+. Long legs don't seem to help especially. A step stool would be ideal to give that added boost. I found some folding ones online that are just one step. It could fit in the storage, but that went over like a lead balloon. Not interested. He's gonna work on stretching to help alleviate the cramp he gets from trying to get that leg over. He will definitely have to help the leg manually as your neighbor did. He's a tough bird mentally and physically and keeps quiet about his pain. He would probably put me up for adoption if he knew I shared his "ailments". He does not talk about them and has mentally healed himself of many things over the years - things that still have the docs scratching their heads . Thank you for taking the time with this excellent solution! BTW. how do you make new paragraph breaks in these forums?

Spyder Garage

My wife cannot lift her right leg well, due to injuries and surgery. Her solution is to mount from the right side instead of the left. It seems unnatural, but the Spyder doesn't lean, so you can mount from either side.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

First, &

I don't mean to sidetrack on this thread (and you can PM me if you want)... but my question:

Does Stan know what "Pendejo" REALLY means? (note: yes, it is a cuss word in Spanish, but in Spanish slang it is calling someone a fool. I will give out the CORRECT definition if requested...)
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Spyder Garage

Seal floorboards would probably help him a great deal.
    Vickie Trumbetic

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Teddy & I would like to say Congrats on the New Ryde & Welcome to the SpyderHood

My first thought was, Your dad got the wrong machine for his comfort and enjoyment The RT has an upright seating position, unlike the leaned over sporty position of the RS, not to mention that the RT also comes with a full compliment of comort features such as adjustable windshield, heated grips, cruise control plus an audio system on the RT-AC/RT-S/Limited models among other comfort features not available from the factory for the RS. Also, having problems with arthritus, it would seem the SE5 Semi-Automatic transmission would've been a much more suitable fit for someone in his condition, just helping to eleminate variables without having to worry about shifting with a clutch

However, whats done is done & many of our site sponsors on the home page have numerous mods that can help make an RS much more comfortable and ryder friendly including Handlebar risers so he won't have to lean over so far, floor boards and highway pegs to give a better leg and foot position, larger & adjustable windshields to help buffet the wind and provide less turbulence, and backrests for back support on longer rydes, along with countless other upgrades to help.

You've found the site on the WWW for anything and everything Spyder Related, and we're glad you joined and hope to see some pics of your dad on his new to him Spyder

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Exclamation

Hey SETH O were you at??? Your expertese could help here. If you haven't heard of Seth he's a parapalegic with an RS and a place for the wheel chair. Thought he would have put in his 2Cents worth by now. He has it figured out to the best way to put "stuff" on an RS. Hope your dad doesn't have problems with the shifting. (One of the reasons I got the semi automatic.) Good Luck on getting him all squared away and hope he has MANY years of fun ryding!!!

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Almost forgot ..... SpyderLovers actually has a seperate Forum for Enabled Ryders

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeFeet View Post
    Hey SETH O were you at??? Your expertese could help here. If you haven't heard of Seth he's a parapalegic with an RS and a place for the wheel chair. Thought he would have put in his 2Cents worth by now. He has it figured out to the best way to put "stuff" on an RS. Hope your dad doesn't have problems with the shifting. (One of the reasons I got the semi automatic.) Good Luck on getting him all squared away and hope he has MANY years of fun ryding!!!
    pssssssttttt....hey ThreeFeet............ you know Seth jumped the RS ship and traded his RS at PitBulls durring this years SpyderFest for one of Len's sweet new ST's, right?

But yeah, SethO is a great Enabled SpyderRyders Resource and here's a link to the Forum page as well
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/f...d-SpyderLovers

Spyder Garage

exactly - track down SETH0 on the site - he can answer your questions
    1. it is what it is - 2014 Black RT-S - Baja Ron Anti-Sway bar, lots of LEDs, Spyderpops Skid Plate, Twisted Sister HID Driving Lights, Tricled 2nd, 3rd & 4th brake lights, F4 Customs vented windshield, Lamonster highway pegs, Ultimate Tall Boy seat, Utopia backrest

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CyncySpyder View Post
    pssssssttttt....hey ThreeFeet............ you know Seth jumped the RS ship and traded his RS at PitBulls durring this years SpyderFest for one of Len's sweet new ST's, right?
    Nope. Seth got another RS (black). ISCI didn't have a hand brake for the ST yet.

Number One: 2008 Yellow GS SM5. I love my Spyder.
    Number Two: 2012 RT-S Limited (the poop colored RT) I still have Number One, but Some Girl made me buy Number Two...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Some Guy View Post
    Nope. Seth got another RS (black). ISCI didn't have a hand brake for the ST yet.
    Actually... Seth wanted a 2013 RS but the ISCI hand brake did not fit either so he went with the 2012.
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:

Spyder Garage

Exclamation Oooooppppppsssssss .............. My bad

Actually... Seth wanted a 2013 RS but the ISCI hand brake did not fit either so he went with the 2012.

I stand corrected That's just wrong in so many ways I need

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bullant12 View Post
    First, &

I don't mean to sidetrack on this thread (and you can PM me if you want)... but my question:

Does Stan know what "Pendejo" REALLY means? (note: yes, it is a cuss word in Spanish, but in Spanish slang it is calling someone a fool. I will give out the CORRECT definition if requested...)
    He definitely knows the translation. It has many variations including another word for donkey. He's a hoot and tries not to take life too seriously. Thanks, though.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by White Widower View Post
    He definitely knows the translation. It has many variations including another word for donkey. He's a hoot and tries not to take life too seriously. Thanks, though.
    I like people with a sense of humor... especially when you name a brew "3 puc hairs"

Previously owned:

Spyder Garage

Default So true.

Quote Originally Posted by CyncySpyder View Post
    My first thought was, Your dad got the wrong machine for his comfort and enjoyment The RT has an upright seating position, unlike the leaned over sporty position of the RS, not to mention that the RT also comes with a full compliment of comort features such as adjustable windshield, heated grips, cruise control plus an audio system on the RT-AC/RT-S/Limited models among other comfort features not available from the factory for the RS. Also, having problems with arthritus, it would seem the SE5 Semi-Automatic transmission would've been a much more suitable fit for someone in his condition, just helping to eleminate variables without having to worry about shifting with a clutch
    You are so right about the model. He has been looking for one - an RT- for some time and the 3 San Diego area dealerships do not allow test drives. He didn't want to drop over 20K without a test spin. He had this one drop in his lap and was a great deal ( 2000 miles, tons of extras and upgrades, riding gear, and delivered). Love at first sight. My sister and I were upset but then we realized he has been making decisions for 88 years without our input. I can completely understand his "why not go for it" impulse. It really is a cool machine, He has already had his money worth in fun - and it has only been a month or two.. It is true...it puts a giant grin on your face! We realized that his favorite things to do are not possible anymore - hike, backpack, motorcycling, etc. so why not? The last time he did something so crazy was over 50 yrs ago. He and his buddy, both seasoned hikers, decided to hike from the lowest to the highest U.S. points (Death Valley to Mt Whitney) "just for fun". It took them 2 weeks and it turns out they were the very first documented hikers to do the grueling trek according to officials. Back to the bike, I know he will want the RT after he gets some miles under his belt. If/when he does find a RT, I am fully prepared to take the SE5 off of his hands. What a thoughtful daughter .,,

Spyder Garage

Default Thank you everyone!

The word on the street is that this is the best Spyder owner forum and I am convinced it is. You took the time to help the newest convert (my dad via me) and we appreciate the excellent info and genuine warm welcome you have extended. My questions have probably been answered already somewhere here, so thank you for your considerable assistance. This is going to be a great time for dad. Very best regards.

Spyder Garage

Default Here's another

Quote Originally Posted by bullant12 View Post
    I like people with a sense of humor... especially when you name a brew "3 puc hairs"
    Great. As mentioned earlier, he is definitely fun and funny. Here's 2 of his other labels. I hope nobody is offended. It's not intended to be anything other than a grin. BTW, that's not him in the picture!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

I have seen people put their walkers on the back or they make a bracket on the non pipe side. I have a wheelchair bracket on my back seat and scotty has a very good idea with nancy getting on from the pipe side if it helps.

talk to anyone from isci about floorboards and a handbrake, they give a discount if your jacked up and anyone with basic mechanical knowledge can put it on in about 2 hours.

here is a video of how I do it

enjoy the ride.
    I am existing right now, would give anything to live again. Fix my sci and you have everything I own.

crash tester for:

www.industrialspecialty.com

http://pitbullpowersportsinc.com/pbp/home.html the best dealer on the planet, sure wish I lived closer.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You may want to check out Spyder Ryder of America - San Diego chapter on Facebook if you dad is looking for local riders.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Great idea

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    You may want to check out Spyder Ryder of America - San Diego chapter on Facebook if you dad is looking for local riders.
    Thanks, Ann. I looked on the Chapters list and didn't see San Diego. Thanks for the info!

Spyder Garage

Default Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by SethO View Post
    I have seen people put their walkers on the back or they make a bracket on the non pipe side. I have a wheelchair bracket on my back seat and scotty has a very good idea with nancy getting on from the pipe side if it helps.

talk to anyone from isci about floorboards and a handbrake, they give a discount if your jacked up and anyone with basic mechanical knowledge can put it on in about 2 hours.

here is a video of how I do it

enjoy the ride.
    Seth, thanks for the video and info. You obviously are a pro at it now. You must have some serious upper body strength. The video is ideal because one cannot imagine the process. You make it look easy and it most definitely is not! Very best regards.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default RT Mounting with bum leg

I have CP and it effects my legs and I mount the RT by stepping on the passenger left footboard with my left foot then pivoting my foot and body. Then I grab my right cuff and pull my foot then leg over the rear seat. When dismounting I slide back into the passenger seat and sort of layback and swing my leg over the glove box. I just worry that I will rip the seat one day from scuffing my foot across the seat. Hope this helps a bit.

Spyder Garage

My wife had her right hip repaired just over a year ago. When I remind her, she will step up on the right driver floorboard, then swing her left leg over to the left driver's board, then scoot back into the passenger seat, then I can swing through with my right leg to the right side by stepping on the left floorboard, my hip was injured when we went down on my GL1800 and I tried to keep it from falling. It has worked for us very well.
    The trick is to get the least injured limb to do the most work.

Doc
    Last edited by Doktor; 09-05-2013 at 08:13 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Walkerholder, and cp rider

check out my video