Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine Locked

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Engine Locked

I took my spyder RS-S to the del for diagnostics after it shut down on me on the highway, they told me that all signs point toward the engine being locked up. Has anyone out there had this issue before? they also advised me that it is still under warranty if it is a manufacturers defect, my first thought was "what else could it be besides their defect"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by myronmathis View Post
    I took my spyder RS-S to the del for diagnostics after it shut down on me on the highway, they told me that all signs point toward the engine being locked up. Has anyone out there had this issue before? they also advised me that it is still under warranty if it is a manufacturers defect, my first thought was "what else could it be besides their defect"
    Could be other things like low oil or wrong oil. But chances are it was an oil pump failure or some other warrantied item. Was it showing hot?
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool

BajaRon is right on target but I will add to the list of what ifs....

You could have lost a water pump overheated and seized a piston or two. Burned a connecting rod bearing.????

Did you notice any strange noises or smells?

model. Year? Mileage?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default engine locked

The spyder is a 2011 RSS, I didn't hear any strange sounds nor did any warning messages come up. the oil pressure light never came on and the temperature was normal. nothing drained from the engine area or from anywhere under the bike itself.

Spyder Garage

Default SEIZED Motor

If it Feels Good, Do It !!

Too Much Is Just Enough !
    2011 RS~S Pure Magnesium / Black ~M~

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default locked engine

they say that it was metal fragments in the oil when they drained it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ledford View Post
    BajaRon is right on target but I will add to the list of what ifs....

You could have lost a water pump overheated and seized a piston or two. Burned a connecting rod bearing.????

Did you notice any strange noises or smells?

model. Year? Mileage?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default siezed engine

have you heard of this happening before?
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLooney View Post

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

My engine locked, The connecting rod broke but my dealer could not determine what actually caused it . Oil had metal shavings like yours did, He said all of the damage to the engine
    was bottom end damage. The engine case was cracked and couldn't be rebuilt . I hope you don't have a problem with your warranty as BRP would not cover mine.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default engine

why wouldn't they cover it?
    Quote Originally Posted by hackett43 View Post
    My engine locked, The connecting rod broke but my dealer could not determine what actually caused it . Oil had metal shavings like yours did, He said all of the damage to the engine
    was bottom end damage. The engine case was cracked and couldn't be rebuilt . I hope you don't have a problem with your warranty as BRP would not cover mine.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hackett43 View Post

Wow this is what scares me about purchasing a spyder. I am by no means a wealthy individual and would rely on BRP honoring their warranty if something does go wrong. What did they tell you when you contacted BRP?

Spyder Garage

Default Re: Engine Locked

I think they blamed his on an o2 mod or fuel manager, but I couldn't find the thread on my cell.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    "can you hear me now?"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Espionage View Post
    Wow this is what scares me about purchasing a spyder. I am by no means a wealthy individual and would rely on BRP honoring their warranty if something does go wrong. What did they tell you when you contacted BRP?
    Don't jump into "the sky is falling" mentality just yet. Remember the problems always come to the internet. So a higher percentage of what you read are problems.

Quote Originally Posted by serf View Post
    I think they blamed his on an o2 mod or fuel manager, but I couldn't find the thread on my cell.

It's understandable for warranty to be denied if in fact the programming is altered. Not saying that is what happened.
    2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS convertible. 2017 GMC Sierra cc diesel. 2017 Arctic cat RR 137 ES

Spyder Garage

That really doesn't tell us much. There are always going to be metal fragments in the oil when an engine seizes. The question is, Which came first? The Chicken or the egg? (which is easily answered but I digress).

In other words, did the metal fragments CAUSE the seizure or did the seizure cause the metal fragments?

Could have been something fragged and the parts caused the seizure. Or it could have been some issue that caused extreme friction which in turn caused the engine to create metal fragments as it seized.

Since you had no heating or oil pressure issues my guess is the 1st possibility.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    That really doesn't tell us much. There are always going to be metal fragments in the oil when an engine seizes. The question is, Which came first? The Chicken or the egg? (which is easily answered but I digress).

In other words, did the metal fragments CAUSE the seizure or did the seizure cause the metal fragments?

Could have been something fragged and the parts caused the seizure. Or it could have been some issue that caused extreme friction which in turn caused the engine to create metal fragments as it seized.

Since you had no heating or oil pressure issues my guess is the 1st possibility.
    The answer to which came first is probably easily answered by... are you claiming warranty or are you reviewing a warranty claim
    2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS convertible. 2017 GMC Sierra cc diesel. 2017 Arctic cat RR 137 ES

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well; Here's to hoping that the cause is found, and the cure is handled in a satisfactory manner!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Engine locked

Thanks I just want to be sure that BRP honors the warranty, I haven't made any mods to my RSS so this wont be an issue. I will keep everyone posted on how its going with my spyder. This is a great site to communicate issues with our spyders and suggestions. Thanks to all!

Spyder Garage

Default Well..!!

Not enough to make an educated guess as to the cause. Hopefully they get into it quickly for the sake of both parties..Do let us know as things develop...!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...Under-Warranty

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Engine Locked

I haven't contacted BRP, the service department has to take the engine apart to see what may have caused the issue. Should I contact BRP? Should I get my Lawyer involved if they wont honor the warranty?
    Quote Originally Posted by Espionage View Post

Spyder Garage

Default Woa hoss!

I haven't contacted BRP, the service department has to take the engine apart to see what may have caused the issue. Should I contact BRP? Should I get my Lawyer involved if they wont honor the warranty?
    Delete legal counsel from your speed dial and take it one step at a time. Give life before a lawyer a chance.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

I recommend leaving the lawyer out of the picture and use that only as a last resort. When you mix BRP and lawyer together you get non-response or non-help because they are going to let the "system" take care of things.

The dealer is your first line of defense. Let them do the work and fix the machine. It seems like it should be a warranty thing unless you have made any modifications to void the warranty. I believe you are the second person to mention this problem on the site. When there are some 40 to 50 thousand machines out and about, you are going go find crazy stuff from time to time.

Please keep us informed.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 06-21-2013 at 05:34 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default engine locked

you are right about life before lawyer, I am just anxious about the outcome
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    Delete legal counsel from your speed dial and take it one step at a time. Give life before a lawyer a chance.

Spyder Garage

Talking

you are right about life before lawyer, I am just anxious about the outcome
    We're all with you. Anxious that is. Hope it's cut and dried in your favor and nothing you have to defend.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just please let us know what happens next; we're pulling for you!
    And since you've made no modifications to the bike; what could they use as a reason to negate the warranty?
    NOTHING!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Well, They first said because i had a fuel controller on my spyder it wouldn't be covered under warranty . That was before my dealer had ever did anything to the bike, So i called and
    talked to them and asked them how can they not cover without any proof that the controller cause damage to the engine. So they told me it was a misunderstanding and i had to authorize my dealer to do diagnostics . After my dealer tore down the engine and took pictures and sent them to brp. they found no damage that was caused by the fuel controller .
    So BRP told me that they still would not cover damages under warranty, Because i over rev the engine at 11000 rpms and caused the engine to over heat. Please, Whatever you do just follow the process let your dealer file for warranty repairs. DO NOT MENTION ANYTHING ABOUT LAWYERS AT THIS POINT, FOLLOW THE PROCESS !!!
    GOOD LUCK !!!