Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Default Stay with it and you will learn the Spyder way.....

Quote Originally Posted by JacqueTanis View Post
    So I think I'm just so used to my two wheels I'm having a hard time adjusting to three. I was leaning on the seat but I'm so new (less than two weeks but 1500 miles - yay) the road was off camber and I would just feeze up and let off the throttle. I can take 15 MPH turns doing 25 to 30 on my BMW but on The Angel I found myself slowing wayyyy down to even 10. Also, I was riding behind a 2 wheel rider who is pretty paranoid and kept adjusting their up and down and all over the place. I finally got in front of them and did a little better. Should I move off the seat like I do on my ATV?
    I (now) consistently run curves 10 to 15 above posted. And I am definitely no "hot" ryder. Did learn on the Tail of the Dragon...not to be a show off and try to wave and the camera dudes and go tight into a corner......after that no waving...but did enjoy the twisties....liked the Rattler even better. Keep practicing follow advise of previous posts and you will conquer!!! Definitely would, when able, add the elkas, swaybar or Len's relocators...definitely makes a difference IMHO...
    Enjoy the ryde...you are the master of your world...
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Spyder Garage

Did the Dragon with the 2010 RT in the Owner's Event in 2011 and last Saturday with my 2013.

Short and sweet: I COULD DO IT A THOUSAND TIMES!!!

Too bad we were running short on time... I would like to do it on my wife's 2011 RS-S.
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Spyder Garage

The Spyder does take some adjustment on the rider's part. First, be sure your suspension is set up for the load and the type of riding you do. For the twisties another notch or two on the front spring preload can help. Aftermarket accessories like BajaRon's swaybar or Elka shocks can also be of help if you ride hard. With your suspension set correctly to reduce the body roll, you will feel less need to move slowly through the corners. It sounds like you are trying to use good technique. The Spyder likes you to lean in, or even to shift your weight off the seat in the tight curves. It seems to like a bit of trail braking, and responds well to accelerating out of the apex. Some time in the saddle should increase your confidence and your technique. You will never beat the sport bikes through the mountains, but you should be able to leave most of the cruisers and tourers behind. You will get a workout doing it, though. It is a physical machine.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Well, I learned what The Angel can and CANNOT do. I went riding up in our gorgeous mountains today and took a twisty-turny I ride regularly. OMGosh, what a work out ... I was so sore and tired when I got home last night I just collapsed. Of course it didn't help that the more tired I got the more I gripped those handle bars and fought my machine. After a few hours (lots of breaks) I just couldn't seem to relax and enjoy the ride. It seemed like I had to go sooooo slowwww on those tight curves and it took me forever to get where we were going. Everyone was cool and had lots of patience with me but I finally told them to just go on ahead and I'd meet them there. So, will it get better or is The Angel just NOT made for that sort of road? After yesterday I've decided to ride my BMW on those twisty-turnies and The Angel on roads with more gently curves and straight roads ahead, longer trips ... Any tips would be appreciated!
    Riding the Spyder aggressively takes some time to learn. And... it is a very active ride that can wear you out quickly.

For moderate riding, leaning well into the turn (I call it "kiss the mirror") may be enough.

For riding twisties really aggressively, "kissing the mirror" in addition to significant "butt shifting to the inside" is required. By that, I mean physically changing your seating position by 4-6" to the inside. Watch pro motorcycle racers and how they "butt shift". That's what's needed.

And... you must plan and adjust your position in advance of the curves... not once you're already in them.

Finally, use your brakes... if needed... before the curve. Not after you're in it.
    Last edited by ataDude; 06-17-2013 at 01:14 PM.
    ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

Default Curves are Awesome

The majority of my rydes are on very curvy mountain roads, that is really all I like to ride. My 2012 RSS handles great and is really fast on curves. It may be the fox shocks that help. I test rode a ST and did not like the wobbly feel of it. The curves take practice and definitely a lot of leaning and adjusting of your body weight. I lean forward and shift weight to the side quite a bit. Let off the throttle a little going in and then I like to really accelerate out. I can take curves well above the suggested speed. I can ride faster than my car but not as fast as a true sport bike. I ran up on 2 wheelers multiple times going slower than I prefer and this includes on the Dragon. It is a little bit of a work out which is something that I actually enjoy about it. Even on curvy roads, I have to pay really close attention to make sure I am not exceeding the speed limit by too much, I try really hard not to speed excessively but it is hard to do on the Spyder. Keep practicing, I think the curvy roads are the best!
    Goblyn Gyrl
    2012 RS-S SE5 Neutron Green

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Paisley View Post
    Blowing Hot air.... I don't think I'd take it that far.

I can out perform many local riders who are on 2 wheels. It's not the vehicle that defines this, it's the rider and their vehicle specific proficiency.
    Take a 40 year conventional MC rider on a Spyder and we typically hear the "It tried to kill me in the corner...", "My arms and whole body took a beating"..

JacqueTanis, give it some time to adjust to the riding style. There are many great contributors here @ Spyderlovers that will provide some useful direction.

D

I have to agree with Derek. When I ride , I lean a little in the corners it helps you not slide off the seat , you are also not fighting the cornering forces when turning and it also helps the spyder turn. I ride my spyder like I ride snowmobiles and ATV's not gripping the bars too tight and at the end of the day my arms and hands are not tired. I can keep up to my friends that ride two wheels even on the twisties.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A lot of you hit on the right points. Tiredness / soreness is due to gripping on the bars too tightly, trying to muscle the machine instead of just steering it. But to maintain a light touch on the bars and not fall off, requires more lower body involvement beyond just sitting on the saddle. Like in other threads here, it's been mentioned for the need to brace using a combination of knee against the tank and body lean or hanging a butt cheek off the inside.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

"Patience", is the one virtue that none of us can wait to acquire...
    But with a little patience and a softer grip; it'll all come to you with a bit more time in the saddle, and miles on the odometer...
    Or should I have said, "kilometres"?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Bob Ledford;641263]Janis

Do like the previous posters told you. It all comes together with time and practice, practice and more practice comes experience and then you find, pure enjoyment and you don't even notice it happening."

It does get better with more time in the saddle. I love doing the twisties and some roads here provide the experience for miles at a time.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

rayeade

Default Is my new machine just NOT made for those twisty-turnies?

I am a new owner also and I have no doubt that with time just like my first motorcycle that
    I will get faster in the curves.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Spyder Garage

Default For sure..!!

It is, are you...? It takes time patience and practice. When you ride both you will always be more comfortable with the one you know..Get to know your spyder and you will see how well they do the curves. Don't use your spyder as a parade bike..it would be a sad end for a fine machine...!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

First of all Welcome to the Spyderlovers kingdom . I've had my RTS almost 2 years with going on 18,000 miles. At first the curves are tough on you, I also have two wheelers in the garage and have ridden for over 40 years. I ridden sport bikes, standards and cruisers, Sport bikes are made for the curves, standards as well will be hard to beat. There's not a cruiser out there that, after experience, you won't leave in your dust if you so choose. Those machines will run out of ground clearence way before they can run off and leave you on a spyder. Anyway, it will get better and you will get the confidence to push your machine a little more. By the way, none of the above bikes will stay with you on a curvy wet road or a road that has some gravel laying around in the curves, the Spyder ignores these conditions. So feel good knowing your on the safest machine overall.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Spyder Garage

Default workout

you mentioned off camber turns ,did it seem like it was rolling over to the outside and that's what you were fighting, if so I would definatly get Baja rons swaybar installed it will flatten out those turns

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default leg work

I have ridden 2 wheelers for 35 years. On the spyder I learned to push downward on the inside handle bar and push down hard on the outside foot, all the while leaning into the turn. That helped me tremendously.

Spyder Garage

Default Sometines

Sometimes it feels like there is an uneven spot in the road and it just sucks me over. Scares the bejeesees out of me!

Quote Originally Posted by mob133 View Post
    you mentioned off camber turns ,did it seem like it was rolling over to the outside and that's what you were fighting, if so I would definatly get Baja rons swaybar installed it will flatten out those turns

Spyder Garage

Sometimes it feels like there is an uneven spot in the road and it just sucks me over. Scares the bejeesees out of me!
    That is usually a sign that there is insufficient toe-in, as far as the alignment is concerned...provided the tire pressure is correct and the same on both sides. Your dealer should align the front end, using the proper procedure, specs, and tools for your Spyder. The specs, tools, and procedures for the 2013s are different. If your dealer refuses to align it properly, seek another dealer and complain directly to BRP.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!