Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Is my new machine just NOT made for those twisty-turnies?

Well, I learned what The Angel can and CANNOT do. I went riding up in our gorgeous mountains today and took a twisty-turny I ride regularly. OMGosh, what a work out ... I was so sore and tired when I got home last night I just collapsed. Of course it didn't help that the more tired I got the more I gripped those handle bars and fought my machine. After a few hours (lots of breaks) I just couldn't seem to relax and enjoy the ride. It seemed like I had to go sooooo slowwww on those tight curves and it took me forever to get where we were going. Everyone was cool and had lots of patience with me but I finally told them to just go on ahead and I'd meet them there. So, will it get better or is The Angel just NOT made for that sort of road? After yesterday I've decided to ride my BMW on those twisty-turnies and The Angel on roads with more gently curves and straight roads ahead, longer trips ... Any tips would be appreciated!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Relax & enjoy

A tight grip is definately what you don't want to do. It definately should get better. I'm real happy with mine and the way it performs in the turns. Best of luck.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Relax and concentrate more on your "whole body" ergonomics when riding. It's not like a car, you do have to move around on the seat and work the turns when riding harder. If you try to ride sitting upright on the seat in the turns, the spyder will wear you out pretty quick and makes for a not so fun ride....

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JacqueTanis View Post
    Well, I learned what The Angel can and CANNOT do. I went riding up in our gorgeous mountains today and took a twisty-turny I ride regularly. OMGosh, what a work out ... I was so sore and tired when I got home last night I just collapsed. Of course it didn't help that the more tired I got the more I gripped those handle bars and fought my machine. After a few hours (lots of breaks) I just couldn't seem to relax and enjoy the ride. It seemed like I had to go sooooo slowwww on those tight curves and it took me forever to get where we were going. Everyone was cool and had lots of patience with me but I finally told them to just go on ahead and I'd meet them there. So, will it get better or is The Angel just NOT made for that sort of road? After yesterday I've decided to ride my BMW on those twisty-turnies and The Angel on roads with more gently curves and straight roads ahead, longer trips ... Any tips would be appreciated!
    I accidentally rode the Rattler to Lamonts, and I know what you mean. I have ridden for 40 years and by no means do I consider myself the best, but I do know my way around a bike. And anyone that says that they can out perform a two wheeler on the twisties is just blowing hot air.

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default I agree

Riding the Spyder in the twisties is way different than on my ST1300 Honda or any other bike for that matter.
    It is more of a work out than on a bike but it's still fun but like above if I want to get some place fast and the road is
    very windy I take the bike every time if I am out for a Sunday type of ride the /Spyder is the way to go.

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Quote Originally Posted by danlnc View Post
    I accidentally rode the Rattler to Lamonts, and I know what you mean. I have ridden for 40 years and by no means do I consider myself the best, but I do know my way around a bike. And anyone that says that they can out perform a two wheeler on the twisties is just blowing hot air.

Spyder Garage

Blowing Hot air.... I don't think I'd take it that far.

I can out perform many local riders who are on 2 wheels. It's not the vehicle that defines this, it's the rider and their vehicle specific proficiency.
    Take a 40 year conventional MC rider on a Spyder and we typically hear the "It tried to kill me in the corner...", "My arms and whole body took a beating"..

JacqueTanis, give it some time to adjust to the riding style. There are many great contributors here @ Spyderlovers that will provide some useful direction.

D

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The Spyder is happiest in sweepers and higher speed curves, definitely not the best in tight hairpins. You can't fight physics of muscling a 900lb machine around a first gear corner as easily as you can on a 500lb motorcycle. There is just too much mass to call it "flickable" in the twisties. That said, you can do things to help it corner, like improving the suspension, and using active body weighting, and sticky tires.

Even in RS RSS form, it's more a sport touring rig than a backroads brawler. You won't keep up with sport bikes (BTDT) without Nanny telling you to "act your age".

But on the bright side, think of the free upper body workout you're getting without going to the gym!
    Last edited by asp125; 06-17-2013 at 10:02 AM.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    The Spyder is happiest in sweepers and higher speed curves, definitely not the best in tight hairpins. You can't fight physics of muscling a 900lb machine around a first gear corner as easily as you can on a 500lb motorcycle. There is just too much mass to call it "flickable" in the twisties. That said, you can do things to help it corner, like improving the suspension, and using active body weighting, and sticky tires.

Even in RS RSS form, it's more a sport touring rig than a backroads brawler. You won't keep up with sport bikes (BTDT) without Nanny telling you to "act your age".

But on the bright side, think of the free upper body workout you're getting without going to the gym!
    I agree. That's all I was saying. I love my Spyder, but it is what it is.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Don't leave the ST at home it will not be happy with you! As the others have said a tight grip is your enemy you need to relax and give yourself a chance to get used to the differences in the Spyder vs a two wheeler.

Try leaving your sport biker friends at home and give it another try without the pressure of keeping up with the others. Good luck.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool tips from an OF

Janis

Do like the previous posters told you. It all comes together with time and practice, practice and more practice comes experience and then you find, pure enjoyment and you don't even notice it happening.

You made mention that you took your Beemer out and did better. You should have because you probably had it longer, right?

As "saluda" mentioned you have to unthink your normal two wheel skills and learn new three wheel skills. Like the Spyder does not require you to counter steer into a corner. But it does require that you lean your upper body mass into the corner to counter the g-forces trying to pitch you off. If you go into a corner on your Beemer to hot what happens? You fall down. What happens on your Spyder? You just wet your drawers and go on.

As a newbie rider myself 50 years on two wheels and only a year an a half on three at the age of 72, just take it slow and watch the body language of those with more 3 wheel experience. You will find yourself blowing the paint off those 2 wheel hotdoggers in no time at all.

Don't forget to come back periodically for more Q&A.

Spyder Garage

Default Advice

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    Relax and concentrate more on your "whole body" ergonomics when riding. It's not like a car, you do have to move around on the seat and work the turns when riding harder. If you try to ride sitting upright on the seat in the turns, the spyder will wear you out pretty quick and makes for a not so fun ride....
    So I think I'm just so used to my two wheels I'm having a hard time adjusting to three. I was leaning on the seat but I'm so new (less than two weeks but 1500 miles - yay) the road was off camber and I would just feeze up and let off the throttle. I can take 15 MPH turns doing 25 to 30 on my BMW but on The Angel I found myself slowing wayyyy down to even 10. Also, I was riding behind a 2 wheel rider who is pretty paranoid and kept adjusting their up and down and all over the place. I finally got in front of them and did a little better. Should I move off the seat like I do on my ATV?

Spyder Garage

Default LOL - Agreed!

Quote Originally Posted by danlnc View Post
    I've just decided that I'll have to choose my depending on the route, although I am hoping to at least get comfortable enough on The Angel that I can at least ease around those tight turns without freezing up and yelling (inside my head very loudly) PANIC

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Paisley View Post

I can out perform many local riders who are on 2 wheels. It's not the vehicle that defines this, it's the rider and their vehicle specific proficiency.
    Take a 40 year conventional MC rider on a Spyder and we typically hear the "It tried to kill me in the corner...", "My arms and whole body took a beating"..

JacqueTanis, give it some time to adjust to the riding style. There are many great contributors here @ Spyderlovers that will provide some useful direction.

D
    Thank you so very much ... I have soooo much to learn - LOL and unlearn!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post

You made my day and gave me a big smile. Now to show my newbie genes ... what do you mean by active body weighting and sticky tires and how do I improve the suspension? I do think The Angel is a perfect touring machine ... I did 2400+ miles on my BMW F650Gs in January and it was great but nothing compared to the 1350 miles I did when I picked The Angel up last week and drove it home. Talk about comfort (LOL, except the seat - I'm getting a Russell for this girl).

Spyder Garage

Talking Don't stop

The reality is. Riding the spyder aggressively in twisties is a work out.
    At first, if I spent a day - 10 or 12 hours - in the twisties. I'd be toast.
    It takes time for your body to adjust because it is a work out.
    But, if you stay with it. You'll be glad you did. jmy2c

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JacqueTanis View Post
    So I think I'm just so used to my two wheels I'm having a hard time adjusting to three. I was leaning on the seat but I'm so new (less than two weeks but 1500 miles - yay) the road was off camber and I would just feeze up and let off the throttle. I can take 15 MPH turns doing 25 to 30 on my BMW but on The Angel I found myself slowing wayyyy down to even 10. Also, I was riding behind a 2 wheel rider who is pretty paranoid and kept adjusting their up and down and all over the place. I finally got in front of them and did a little better. Should I move off the seat like I do on my ATV?
    Two weeks (1500mi) is still "new" to you, get some more seat time and you'll find it easier. I still ride two wheels and have learned to make that mental switch every time I get on the Spyder. Yes you'll find riding the Spyder more like your ATV to help, not always necessary but if you are comfortable riding that way it will help make the switch easier.
    Last edited by asp125; 06-17-2013 at 10:51 AM.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the info ...

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Paisley View Post

D

Spyder Garage

Thank you ... I WILL stick with it for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    The reality is. Riding the spyder aggressively in twisties is a work out.
    At first, if I spent a day - 10 or 12 hours - in the twisties. I'd be toast.
    It takes time for your body to adjust because it is a work out.
    But, if you stay with it. You'll be glad you did. jmy2c

Spyder Garage

Yes you're right Bob, I needed that reminder - when I went from my Honda Shadow to my BMW I about had a stroke, I was so scared but now, after a year riding it I'm fine - so, I'll give it some time and enjoy one day realizing how comfortable I am - thank you so much!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ledford View Post
    Janis

Do like the previous posters told you. It all comes together with time and practice, practice and more practice comes experience and then you find, pure enjoyment and you don't even notice it happening.

You made mention that you took your Beemer out and did better. You should have because you probably had it longer, right?

As "saluda" mentioned you have to unthink your normal two wheel skills and learn new three wheel skills. Like the Spyder does not require you to counter steer into a corner. But it does require that you lean your upper body mass into the corner to counter the g-forces trying to pitch you off. If you go into a corner on your Beemer to hot what happens? You fall down. What happens on your Spyder? You just wet your drawers and go on.

As a newbie rider myself 50 years on two wheels and only a year an a half on three at the age of 72, just take it slow and watch the body language of those with more 3 wheel experience. You will find yourself blowing the paint off those 2 wheel hotdoggers in no time at all.

Don't forget to come back periodically for more Q&A.

Spyder Garage

I have to agree with the other posters

it does take time and practice - and it will come

you learn to shift your weight, you learn to pick your line going in to and coming out of turns to set yourself up for the next turn, etc, etc

but in the end, its all about you having a good time, not trying to pass the person in front of you (unless they are doing 10 mph.......) lol
    1. it is what it is - 2014 Black RT-S - Baja Ron Anti-Sway bar, lots of LEDs, Spyderpops Skid Plate, Twisted Sister HID Driving Lights, Tricled 2nd, 3rd & 4th brake lights, F4 Customs vented windshield, Lamonster highway pegs, Ultimate Tall Boy seat, Utopia backrest

Spyder Garage

I dont lean in the twisties...I hang off the side. Last year I did some mountain twisties in Montana with a Goldwing and a C90 cruiser following me and I had to stop LOTS to let them catch up and these are 20+ years of riding. I wouldnt do as well keeping up with a sport bike.

One guy I was riding with hadnt ridden with me before and his comment at the first stop was "Wow you really have to work that thing."

Spyder Garage

JacqueTanis, I wrote a long response and decided to just cut to the chase. You need to remember the first time you rode 2 wheels and how long it took to become comfortable. Now for your Angel you need to give her that much time and enough time for you to over come your bad 2 wheel habits. Straight smooth slow rides don't count to learning to stay on. They just give confidence allowing you to trust Angel. Practice at your own speed on some bad back country roads until you are comfortable staying on and riding these bad roads as they are a challenge.

Time in the saddle and miles will help The Angel run all ove
    r that Hussy BMW

Hang in there The Angel is worth it.
    2013 Pure Magnesium Spyder RS-SM5 Cal Sci medium clear windshield, R-35 hard sided saddlebags and fitments rack, 2013 Can-Am Spyder ST Limited Embroidered Stock Seat, Trunk opening spring, fire extinguisher, Passenger backrest and rack, Added side mirrors, Handlebar bag.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have 6000 miles on my 2013 rt limited and the handling is nothing like my Yamaha Super Tenere however it is not supposed to be. I to rode the dragon and pushed to HD's up and down the Dragon. But once again HD's are not made for the sharp turns either. Every bike has its advantages and disadvantage.

Spyder Garage

Default twisties

I agree with you the twisties is not very comfortable with the spyder especially with two up large size people on it compared to a two wheeler I did the demo ride on a new 2013 rt and we stayed well behind the group on the short ride on the twisties as I felt like we was gonna fall off it in a curve I get the same feeling some times on my own spyder also but I ,ll be surpised if anyone can keep up with a two wheeled bike on a long twisty road I no I wont be able too

Spyder Garage

on the Dragon, we got passed by a crotch rocket and a Honda (who was riding on his skid plates on the turns)

I had no inclination to keep up with them - I was there to enjoy myself, not set a speed record, but I did keep pressing myself to MY limits

on the Rattler there was one long lopping right turn and I slipped outside of my line and in trying to get back on it, I lifted my right wheel off the ground, but apparently since I had my weight shifted, the nanny didnt kick in and I was able to get back on it and continue
    1. it is what it is - 2014 Black RT-S - Baja Ron Anti-Sway bar, lots of LEDs, Spyderpops Skid Plate, Twisted Sister HID Driving Lights, Tricled 2nd, 3rd & 4th brake lights, F4 Customs vented windshield, Lamonster highway pegs, Ultimate Tall Boy seat, Utopia backrest