Spyder Garage

Angry Brake Alert - Brake Failure!

Just had a panic moment this morning when my wife hopped on the 2011 RT to go to work and reported "Brake Failure". The RT has 22,000 miles on it and we had just traveled about 200 miles Saturday and another 200 yesterday on moderate roads in good weather. Since it cooled off a little last evening I decided to install the SpyderPops Bumpskid and proceeded to attempt to run it up on some Rhino ramps to provide clearance. One ramp slid forward and I stopped the Spydee half way up and locked the parking brake to assess the situation and thought well, maybe thats high enough and then when I was looking under at the old plastic plate, I heard a slow slippage of the ramp forward while the left wheel revolved and eased lower. At that point I got the floor jack and lifted first that A arm up and slid the ramp fully under the wheel and then did the same with the right side to level them out.

I guess that the parking brake only locks the rear wheel? Any way, completed the installation of the Bumpskid with the appropriate drilling of the mounting holes using the bumpskid as template as per directions, was pleased with the look, and then lowered the Spydee back down in a reverse order with the floor jack and enlisting my wife to hold the one ramp with the wheel halfway down until I could get on, release the parking brake, and let the Spydee roll backwards down to the floor and the level parking rest in the garage. I did not reingage the parking brake as I usually let Spydee rest with the brake off, so I can push it forward or back as need to clean or move around the bike.

My wife however religiously sets the parking brake anytime she stops (a good habit) and when she hopped on this morning and punched turned the key she saw the "Brake Failure- and Brake Alert Orange alerts when she pushed the mode button this morning.

I took it for a short spin, did not feel any brake dragging, and have since checked the reservoirs under the seat and they seem fine, not leaks on the floor, etc.

What gives? Any ideas? Are there any wires I might have cut or crimped in installing the bumpskid or jacking up the Spydee? Wife is not happy
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

First of all, given the info in your post, I assume you have a manual transmission? With the Automatic, you HAVE to set the brake, or Spydee will let you know as soon as you turn off the key!!

The parking brake does only lock the rear wheel, so no problem there.

I really can't think of anything that you did that would cause such a problem. It doesn't seem to take much to throw some of these errors. You can check the electrical stuff - make sure battery connections are tight / clean, pop the fuse box cover, and check the fuses / relays.

It may have been a random hiccup, but I think since it is giving a brake failure, and the wife drives it, I would probably take it to a dealer, have it hooked to BUDS, just to make sure it was just a hiccup, and nothing more serious.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Having the same problem right now on my RS SE Checked fluid levels all are full. Brake failure light is displaying even if im not sitting on the bike and the key is in the ON position.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

With the bike angled upward the low brake fluid sensor may have gone off as the fluid drained rearward. With the bike back in the level it should be ok but I would check the brake fluid level anyway.

Spyder Garage

Default Have to agree..!!

now do the key walk ( take your key out walk away for a good while ) the computer should reset. Hope thats it..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Double check the brake reservoir(s). They often look full enough, but even a tiny bit low can set them off, especially if the Spyder is at a severe angle. Did you turn your key on while raised, or do anything else? If the fluid is verified as being at level, and the alarm does not clear after the Spyder is started and the brakes are applied, see your dealer.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!