Spyder Garage

Default RIDING IN THE RAIN???

Will be riding my ST-S to eastern TX later in the week for a high school reunion. Have over 3100 miles on my Spyder, but have never ridden in rain, except forVisitedStatesMap.jpeg a few sprinkles. This time of year, I am bound to run into rain showers on the way there and/or on the way back. Can anyone give me feedback on riding in a good steady rain or downpour on an ST? I wear a full face helmet with a face shield and have a two piece rain suit. Will rain hit me in the face with the windshield all the way up? I'm 5' 10"" by the way. Also, do I have to worry about my Sena Bluetooth headset getting wet? Any info would be appreciated.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

It looks like you have the right gear for a wet ride. I have new Sena's but they have not ridden in the rain yet. Never had a problem with my previous Cardo communicators in the rain. Recommend you make sure all the rubber plugs are pushed all the way in on the communicators.

Try to avoid going through any standing water on the highway. The will hydroplane and that can be scarry if it happens.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default RAIN

I have logged many hundreds of miles in hard rain... not because I wanted to,
    you will be fine with your rain gear you may want to get some waterproof boots or
    you can use plastic bags over what you have on your feet. as for rain in your face
    at speeds you will not get much in your face but when you stop for a traffic light or ???
    you will get rain drops just like the wind shield.
    AND... like riding a motorcycle you should watch out for any fresh oil in the center
    of your traffic lane it gets slippery.... slow down to a safe speed.
    Ride safe
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by JKMSPYDER View Post
    Will be riding my ST-S to eastern TX later in the week for a high school reunion. Have over 3100 miles on my Spyder, but have never ridden in rain, except forVisitedStatesMap.jpeg a few sprinkles. This time of year, I am bound to run into rain showers on the way there and/or on the way back. Can anyone give me feedback on riding in a good steady rain or downpour on an ST? I wear a full face helmet with a face shield and have a two piece rain suit. Will rain hit me in the face with the windshield all the way up? I'm 5' 10"" by the way. Also, do I have to worry about my Sena Bluetooth headset getting wet? Any info would be appreciated.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Recommend you DON'T use your cruise control when ryding in the rain.
    Last edited by SpyRyd; 06-16-2013 at 05:59 PM.
    2016 F3-L Special Series? Mods: Lamonster IPS end caps w/ Gripper 3rd pegs, GPS mount, Power Plate, Perf. Muffler; Backoff Brake Light Strobe; CD Front (amber/red) Brightsides & Tip Kit; ISCI Flag Holder w/Long Poles; BRP Signature Light, Aux Lights, Saddlebag Liners, Garmin 590 GPS; TricLED foam Grips, LEDs (Aux/headlights); Pitbull Driving Lights; RDL seat; Ultimate backrest

Previous ryde: 2012 RT-L, 26,636 miles on it when traded; 2014 RT-L, 34,147 miles on it when traded

Spyder Garage

All I can add is it'll only take minutes, in the rain, to feel more secure while riding. Also, I had read before about the bags for your feet. I keep forgetting to use them (as I can't find a cover for my boots) and my boots get soaking wet. Someday I'll remember!
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

I do have the Can-Am riding boots that are supposed to be waterproof. I guess I'll find out.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I you have the RT riding boots; they are.
    I've got a one-piece ToourMaster Elite rainsuit. I've never gotten wet while wearing it.
    Rain on your face shield can be a bit of a learned talent; I usually drop my windshield to the lowest position so that I get more airflow onto my faceshield; it helps to keep the rain drops moving off of it!
    Sticking your head out to the side can also be a useful trick in clearing a shield...
    Good Luck!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member Arr MiHardies's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I was just riding in the rain today in Arkansas. I got plenty of water in my face. Kept wiping my face shield but didn't help my visibility enough.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    President - Spyder Ryder of America - Mojave Desert Chapter
    National Web Master - Spyder Ryder of America

Spyder Garage

Default cruise control...

Quote Originally Posted by SpyRyd View Post
    Recommend you DON'T use your cruise control when ryding in the rain.
    Amen to that!
    Dave
    Never leave well enough alone! (Raymond Loewy)

Spyder Garage

Default riding in rain...

Make sure you have your visor all the way down and locked/snapped shut. Some visors allow water to run down from the top in behind the visor if they are not closed all the way.
    Dave
    Never leave well enough alone! (Raymond Loewy)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default riding ST in rain

I have ridden my ST Limited in the rain / fog in the mountains of western PA for several hundred miles in beginning of June. My ST handled very well. My Sena was fine. My vision was okay as long as I kept the face shield open at least 1/2 inch.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Frogg Troggs work well. specifically the Road Toadz jackets.

waxing the windshields and faceshields help A LOT during
    rain riding

Spyder Garage

Default Riding in the rain

I was doing a road trip this weekend in the NW to Oregon and Washington State. we had 7/8 days of rain, I did 2000 miles and was very surprise how well my RT preform in rain, not even one drop of water into the compartments.

The one trick (was mentioned above) that I used is to look over the windshield in low speed, in high speed (above 75 MPH) no problem at all.

I was wondering if someone is aware of a RainX comparable product that can work on the Spyder windshield.

Enjoy the trip and be safe.
    This message was sent between rides

Spyder Garage

My 2 tips. To clear your visor...DO NOT USE YOUR HAND. I turn my head to the side and clear half the visor then do the same in the opposite direction.

Second, as Nemo once said, "Just keep swimming". The slower you go, the wetter you'll get, in my experiance.
    RS - 55K+ miles, F3 - 200 miles and counting.

Spyder Garage

I had the joy of riding in the raid for about 550 miles in one day going home from Spyderfest. Just stay with the flow of traffic and keep on going. Hope your rain gear is something that will keep you dry. I was surprised that doing 70 on the interstate in rain how dry you actually stay as long as your gear holds up. When I got to my hotel I was very surprised that the only thing that was wet was my feet and my hands. During the trip I thought that I was soaked because I was so cold. Driving in the rain can fatigue you more the normal riding. So take a break if you get tired.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

He's got to be back by now; HOW DID YOUR TRIP GO?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Texas Trip

Hey Bob, the trip went great!! You gave great advice about putting the windshield down in the rain. That trick kept my face shield clear. I got back on Monday. Read my post on the general discussion site titled: "Do you believe in Karma?" Thankfully the problem happened in my driveway!!