Spyder Garage

Default Went to Maggie Valley without Spyder

The saga continues! Thursday AM, pulled bike out of garage to head over to Maggie Valley, a 2 plus hour ride for us. Oil on the floor and bottom side of bike. It just came back from service 2 days prior. Drove car over, enjoyed event as much as possible without Spyder. It took the 2 hour drive over to calm down. What a turn out!

The score for this service is as follows. Scuffed nose, scuffed L side kick panel, scratched/nicked L side foglight assy., and oil leak. I got my money's worth, don't you think? Yes, I'm venting just a bit.

Not really sure of oil leak. It is localized to left side. Wiped oil off floor Thursday and no new drips while we where away. I suggested possibly, residual from a spill. Dealer says no and don't drive it. I have had numerouis conversations with Owner/dealership. I am really scared to death to give it back to them at this point. I have had no arguement from them, but that doesn't make me feel any better, about "what's next".

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mdale46 View Post
    The saga continues! Thursday AM, pulled bike out of garage to head over to Maggie Valley, a 2 plus hour ride for us. Oil on the floor and bottom side of bike. It just came back from service 2 days prior. Drove car over, enjoyed event as much as possible without Spyder. It took the 2 hour drive over to calm down. What a turn out!

The score for this service is as follows. Scuffed nose, scuffed L side kick panel, scratched/nicked L side foglight assy., and oil leak. I got my money's worth, don't you think? Yes, I'm venting just a bit.

Not really sure of oil leak. It is localized to left side. Wiped oil off floor Thursday and no new drips while we where away. I suggested possibly, residual from a spill. Dealer says no and don't drive it. I have had numerouis conversations with Owner/dealership. I am really scared to death to give it back to them at this point. I have had no arguement from them, but that doesn't make me feel any better, about "what's next".
    I have 100% Sympathy for you. I don't mean to be mean and I understand that not everyone can do their own service. But this is one reason I do as much of my own maintenance as I can. I'm sure this has crossed your mind as well in the last few days.

Oil changes are so easy and you know exactly what you've got when you're done.

Just my 2 cents but I think it may be in your best interest to give the dealership another shot. Hopefully, they will be eager to regain your confidence and your business. If you take it somewhere else they will charge you, as they should, because the issue was not of their doing. Besides, you need to get satisfaction on all of the damaged components and the perpetrators are the only place you can get that done.

It goes without saying that they need to come pick your Spyder up since they are the source of the problem in the 1st place.

Small claims court is the perfect resolution if this dealer does not step up to the plate. I wouldn't mention it but as a last resort. And not as a threat, but simply as a heads up.

Good luck and let us know how you get treated this time.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Very sorry to hear about the issues after serviceing. It does sound like cause/effect and the dealer should be given the opportunity to correct any problems before moving down the road to another serviceing place. The only exception here for me would be if this is the norm with the dealer who serviced your . If a first time event, give them the opportunity to make it right.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default UPDATE

Dealer picked up Spyder today. Fixing oil issue, replacing nose (bumper cover), and replacing L kick panel. No arguements, no shifting of blame. For that I am pleased and hope this time around provides a better out come. They have appologized several times for screwing up our plans for Maggie Valley last week. They had in fact offered a demo Spyder for the trip, but we declined. They would not had been able to get it to me until Friday midday and we would have missed it anyway. so...

Fingers crossed!

Spyder Garage

More reasons to do as much service work yourself as possible.... that way you know what was done and that it was done right!

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Dealer picked up Spyder today. Fixing oil issue, replacing nose (bumper cover), and replacing L kick panel. No arguements, no shifting of blame. For that I am pleased and hope this time around provides a better out come. They have appologized several times for screwing up our plans for Maggie Valley last week. They had in fact offered a demo Spyder for the trip, but we declined. They would not had been able to get it to me until Friday midday and we would have missed it anyway. so...

Fingers crossed!
    I am wondering if perhaps a birdie hath spoken words of wisdom in their ear...

I am very glad that they stepped up to the plate. Anyone (and everyone) can make mistakes. It's how the mistakes are handled that tells the real story.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Registered Users JJW SpyderRider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Fingers crossed!
    Sorry you did not get to ride the great roads in the Maggie Valley area.

Did they tell you what was causing the leak? My new RT-S had a leak when I first picked it up. I pointed out a drip of oil under it at time of pickup but was told it was from a forklift that had been parked there. By a hundred miles I had oil all over the side and under the RT. The factory had pinched the O-Ring on the transmission filter cover. It only leaked when running. I wounder if that is what happened. I do my own oil changes and check VERY close for any leaks when I'm done.

RT-S: HMT brake light, mud flap lights/turn signals, Trailer hitch, Garmin 660 GPS, Ride-On, Travel cover, LED Mirror turn signals, LED trunk lighting, RGB ground effect lighting, BajRon anti-sway bar, to be continued ......

Member of the WSR (Woodstock Spyder Riders)

Spyder Garage

Talking

As difficult as the experience has been, sounds like you're doing the right thing under the circumstances(& the dealer too). Hope it works out OK and at some point it ends up being a been there done that story, with a happy ending.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

At least the dealer took ownership of the problems and is willing to correct them. That in itself speaks well of that dealer. Let us know what they say.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Sometimes the simple little things cause problems. My tech back in 09 reused the copper o ring gaskets on the oil change. 75% of the time no issue, in my 25% case oil all over. I followed up with them and found out about the reuse of the gasket. Very silly and very unnecessary. It caused me to return to the dealer after service, they had to redo the oil change at their expense and accomplished nothing. The techs excuse was that he always reused them on Harley's. Well guess what the Spyder ain't a Harley! Now the tech does the oil changes exactly as I tell him because now I am the tech that does them at home in my garage!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This entire episode could have gotten way worse in about a hundred different ways; and didn't!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default UPDATE #2

Dealer has had Spyder RT for total of 3 weeks, not counting the week it sat in my garage waiting for them to pick it up. They called this AM (1 week after picking it up). Replaced nose bumper cover, MFD console, filter covers and seals. Still leaking oil and they now have ordered filter housing. I have just read some older post's on oil leaks. Sounds like yet another maintenance screw up. I may never see it again! If and when I do, I am thinking it will not be the same machine.

This was suppose to be a simple 600 mi. service by the Pro's!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Exclamation

Dealer has had Spyder RT for total of 3 weeks, not counting the week it sat in my garage waiting for them to pick it up. They called this AM (1 week after picking it up). Replaced nose bumper cover, MFD console, filter covers and seals. Still leaking oil and they now have ordered filter housing. I have just read some older post's on oil leaks. Sounds like yet another maintenance screw up. I may never see it again! If and when I do, I am thinking it will not be the same machine.

This was suppose to be a simple 600 mi. service by the Pro's!
    Pick it up put on trailer take to Cowtown!!! At least you'll KNOW it will be fixed right!!!