Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Ok let's all take a step back! First off I used to be a member of BMW of America Owners Club. They held rallies which had technical seminars, games, and lots of grass-roots self help. It's not really expected that a company take on the expense of putting on training events. It's great if they would but it should be done as a grass roots effort. Small Spyder Oriented riding clubs would be better suited for this. There is nothing stopping anyone from conducting a seminar on any topic at the Owners Event and I am sure BRP wouldn't mind providing the space for it. Seminar topics could be on Riding techniques, tire selection, packing for a trip, camping techniques and yes oil changes. I don't see any legal liability here. As a group of Spyderlovers we should take responsibility for each other's knowledge and safety and not rely on others. So gather your local Spyder Riders and form a club or groups or whatever. BTW as for BRP dealers sharing their expertise, I'm still waiting to see some for the most part, just saying LOL

Spyder Garage

My only disappointment is I didn't get to meet all of the other SpyderLovers I wanted to meet. I did get to meet many others I didn't know.

I think BRP did an awesome job with this event...an event they don't really have to do. Think about it, their marketing effort (as with most companies) is to attract new customers. All of us are already customers (for our own reasons), so there is little reason to have an expensive event for us other than to thank us...for which we need no thanks...we love our rides!

Thank you BRP for this event!

Number One: 2008 Yellow GS SM5. I love my Spyder.
    Number Two: 2012 RT-S Limited (the poop colored RT) I still have Number One, but Some Girl made me buy Number Two...

Spyder Garage

My disappointment with the OE is that I was not there. I registered for the event, but due to circumstances beyond my control I was not able to make it. Maybe next year.
    Last edited by otter28169; 06-16-2013 at 07:09 PM.
    Three in the garage, and I think I can fit at least one more in.....and then we will have to build another garage.
    The roads in NY are so bad that I am glad we bought a Ryker Rally

Just sayin'............

Fauquier County VA - Virginia's most carefully pronounced county.
    Spyder Garage

Geez, Excuse me for expressing MY opinion.

After reading through the comments I had to go back and look at what I wrote in the original post. I think I clearly stated in the first sentence that we had a GREAT time. I don't think I said anything sucked, or BRP did anything wrong or attendees got screwed, or more stuff should have been given away. All I said was " I found the event lacking.......What was lacking were any technical forums."

You guys that throw out the lawyer card in every other post need to chill out and get into the real world. How is what I suggested any different from getting advice from others on the forum? Suppose a member or group of members posted a suggested way of doing something on their Spyder? Will you jump in and post don't tell or show anyone how to do anything because they might sue you or Spyder lovers if they get hurt or forget to do something and the wheel falls off? What about vendors posting "how to's" in response to members questions? Maybe the forum should be shut down before someone gets sued?

If so many misinterpreted what I had in the original post, maybe you can understand why some people can't completely understand user and technical manuals and a how a "how to" seminar might benifit them.

Lighten up people.
    2012 RT Limited - Pearl White

My Mods -
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?39494-DR-Buck-s-2012-RT-Limited-Mods
    2012 RT Limited , Full size brake peddel White w/Red Highlights

Spyder Garage

Default company forums or selected classes

Quote Originally Posted by DR Buck View Post
    Google a company called Wood-Mizer. They are the largest portable sawmill manufacturer in the world. HQ is Indiana. Can you say sawmill and not think DANGEROUS ? They hold owners seminars 100's of times a year. Every one includes maintenance and technical talks, mostly done by their dealers. Many companies do this. It improves sales and the companies reputation

Harley idealers conduct local "familiarization classes in the shops and the technicians show exactly is going on. They ever have seperate classes for females. I wouldn't dare comment on such a move, but they are very popular. Aircraft manufacturers, those not broke due to the economy, have seminars and week or weeks long classes for pilots and mechanics. I like the sawmill seminars referenced above.

Tuck

Spyder Garage

What we have hear is a failure to communicate..............I miss Paul Newman!
    2011 RTS SM5

Very Active Member Arr MiHardies's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Disapointment With BRP Owners Event

I'm disappointed I'm too much of an introvert to actually talk to all you strangers in person.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    President - Spyder Ryder of America - Mojave Desert Chapter
    National Web Master - Spyder Ryder of America

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Arr MiHardies View Post
    I'm disappointed I'm too much of an introvert to actually talk to all you strangers in person.

Hey, you talked to me while we sat stranded on the hwy waiting for them to clear the wreck away, i enjoyed our brief encounter.

Cruzr Joe

2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    Hey, you talked to me while we sat stranded on the hwy waiting for them to clear the wreck away, i enjoyed our brief encounter.

Cruzr Joe

Was he reading from a script his wife had previously prepared for him because that doesn't count?
    2011 RTS SM5

Spyder Garage

Dr. Buck

You could have brought up ***** care and not struck as many nerves, LOL

Cruzr Joe

2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Buttsy View Post
    Was he reading from a script his wife had previously prepared for him because that doesn't count?
    No, he and i chatted for a short while and he was very pleasent

Cruzr Joe

Very Active Member Arr MiHardies's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Cruzr Joe

Yes. But you initiated the conversation. Introverts do not initiate unless they already know the person.

President - Spyder Ryder of America - Mojave Desert Chapter
    National Web Master - Spyder Ryder of America

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    You're not saying your owner's manual shows how to align the belt, are you? I have a 2008 owner's manual and it only shows how to check belt alignment.

I agree that there shouldn't be any legal issues, if it is something already covered in the owner's manual.

I also agree with those that say there could be legal issues. I once worked for a large corporation that years ago produced gas water heaters. They were sued because someone's child was cleaning his bike chain with gas in front of the water heater. The corporation lost and after that they had a sticker affixed to the heater regarding the use of flammable material in front of the heater.
    If you will note I said most of these things mentioned.

Glo Ryders {4 sets (Blue, Red, Orange, Pink) I swap out}
    Rear Trunk Liner ......... Seal Floorboards
    Rear Trunk Shelf
    Corbin Heated Seat
    extra 12V plug
    Elka shocks
    White/Red fender lights
    Bump/skid
    Baker Wind Wings
    Honey Burl Dash Kit

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think ya'll should lighten up on DR Buck. This isn't a pro-BRP vs anti-BRP issue. All he said was he'd like to have some guidance on maintenance, and an event full of Spyder experts and 1200 or so owners might have been an opportune time to do it. He did say he enjoyed what they did put on.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Arr MiHardies View Post
    Yes. But you initiated the conversation. Introverts do not initiate unless they already know the person.

Maybe so, but you were nice to talk to after the initial contact, hope you had a good time

Joe

Last edited by Cruzr Joe; 06-16-2013 at 07:59 PM.

MOgang Member & Pyro-Man kevorama's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I'm still waiting for BRP to contact me about doing the fireworks display
    They've redone their owner's event based on SpyderFest.
    “Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die tomorrow.”
    James Dean

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Soooo... spyderFest is still the better party; right?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

For the whopping ZERO dollar registration cost I think BRP went whole hog. I would rather the event stay the way it is. Don't try to do any more other than just give us a chance to meet them and say thanks in an area with great ryding. I think the spyderquest and other event organizers can pick up and run with Dr. Buck's ideas.
    2015 Intense Red Pearl RTS SE6 - Laser Alignment by Precisyon Trac, Tri-Axis handle bars, ? to be determined.

2014 XLR Viper 305V14 Toyhauler (Home)
    2015 Ram 3500HD Crew Cab

Former Spyders
    2010 Blue RT A&C SE5 53K plus miles - never left us stranded!
    2013 Pure Magnesium Metallic ST SE5 11K plus miles - never left us stranded!

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=DR Buck;640532]We had a great time meeting everyone, looking at all the farkled Spyders, eating and riding. But, I found the event lacking. This was our first and as I participate in similar events for my other hobbies and interests I expected a little more. What was lacking were any technical forums. It would have been great if BRP put on live demos as how to do things like oil changes, belt alignments, pre-ride checks, or even tupperware removal for the new owners. I think there would be a lot fewer service complaints if the less mechanically inclined owners could perform routine maintenance.

BRP wouldn't even have to do the seminars. They could solicit for dealers or even guys like Scotty to do them. Anybody else think this would improve the event, or am I off-base here?[/QUOT

How anyone could complain about an event where the company that we brought a product from to show thier appreciation threw us a party of this quality is beyond me. The party as well as the Spyder is way above the norm. But I guess that it proves that no matter what you do, someone will always whine.
    Rudy

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default BRP

Quote Originally Posted by DR Buck View Post
    We had a great time meeting everyone, looking at all the farkled Spyders, eating and riding. But, I found the event lacking. This was our first and as I participate in similar events for my other hobbies and interests I expected a little more. What was lacking were any technical forums. It would have been great if BRP put on live demos as how to do things like oil changes, belt alignments, pre-ride checks, or even tupperware removal for the new owners. I think there would be a lot fewer service complaints if the less mechanically inclined owners could perform routine maintenance.

BRP wouldn't even have to do the seminars. They could solicit for dealers or even guys like Scotty to do them. Anybody else think this would improve the event, or am I off-base here?
    Don't blame BRP the event was awesome. The dealer at the owners event could of done so much more than just tend to there cash registers. With 800 plus Spyder owners there the sky was the limit. To many times BRP is the target to blame when some dealers could do more for their customers than pass the buck.

Spyder Garage

Didn't attend, but that's a great idea!

2018 F3 S, BRP SS Grill, Spoiler, Attitude Bars, #1 linkage kit, Chopped R Fender, TBR S1R slip On exhaust, Elka Stage 2 R Shock, Shad saddlebags

Spyder Garage

I went to the Owners Event for the same reason i went to Spyderfest and Lamonts BBQ ............ To meet old spyder friends and make new ones ......... For me the Event was a knockout, i loved it.

Cruzr Joe
    you go any where there's an excuse for a party.....

great to see you and the Mrs again

hope you took care of everyone after I left Lamonts....
    1. it is what it is - 2014 Black RT-S - Baja Ron Anti-Sway bar, lots of LEDs, Spyderpops Skid Plate, Twisted Sister HID Driving Lights, Tricled 2nd, 3rd & 4th brake lights, F4 Customs vented windshield, Lamonster highway pegs, Ultimate Tall Boy seat, Utopia backrest

Spyder Garage

Don't know why so many feel the need to come down on Dr Buck. He (sorry, assuming 'he') said he enjoyed the OE; but, he felt something was missing in his opinion. Now someone says he's whining, blah, blah, blah, blah.
    Last edited by wyliec; 06-17-2013 at 05:53 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Illinois Boy View Post
    This is "apples and oranges", with all due respect.

You are talking about "commercial-equipment" owned by a company in the operation of their business that faces labor-laws, safety issues, and productivity requirements. This equipment is not a "retail" product, like a Spyder.

Part of the "maintenance-training" the manufacturer provides is also to keep from getting sued.

Also, you are trying to compare "commercial" equipment that generates revenue for its owner under specific laws, requirements, and liability standards not existing in "retail" products. An entirely different scenario -- thus apples and oranges. No comparison, in my opinion, or by an attorney's point of view.

I can imagine there are numerous issues that arise on this equipment needing maintenance often, if not daily; requiring skilled-operators or maintenance personnel looking daily to help assure the machinery is operable and safe. The company owning the equipment also shares in the liability risk in keeping their employees safe on the job. There is such a thing as OSHA and state regulations regarding commercial equipment -- especially dangerous equipment on the job-site. Again... different laws, use-purposes, and personnel operating-skills cover "retail" products.

Companies like Caterpillar, John Deere, and many others similar are no different than this company in providing "maintenance-training" also -- but mostly for the reasons I just mentioned (i.e., safety, productivity, and likely contract clauses requiring training for on-site skills in maintenance.)

No one should ever expect a retail company to provide detailed maintenance-training to their end-users. Far too many liabilities in doing so. You were better off to have gone to the rally to enjoy the riding in that area and the hospitality provided.
    I would have to disagree. I am a long time RVer and have owned several motor homes. We often go to yearly company sponsored rallies (FleetwoodRV) where they have catered meals and other events. They also have multiple seminars/classes setup that revolve around there coaches and the RV life style. There is always a basic maintenance for chassis (conducted by Freightliner) and engines (conducted by Cummins or Cat). They also have seminars that appeal to the female side as well such as cooking in an RV, etc. In addition they have vendor booths for accessories that do not directly compete with the coach manufacture.

I think BRP could offer something similar on a much smaller scale. I've been to several owner events and it seems like quite a bit of time is spent just standing around. After all how many times can you look at the same BRP model display or go though the clothing store? If you are not ryding you're standing around waiting for the next meal.
    Last edited by 1551retired; 06-17-2013 at 06:22 AM.

Spyder Garage

There is an old saying..."Never look a gift horse in the mouth." While the OP's intention was innocent, a title expressing disappointment and a content making suggestions in the same breath as praising the event, tends to come across as ingracious. A title of Suggestions For Future Events or something similar might have drawn less flak. The bottom line here is that BRP provides this to us entirely at their expense. It is their privilege to do so wherever and however they see fit. We should be nothing but grateful. It is always our choice not to attend if it doesn't meet our desires. The last I heard, attendance was not mandatory. It is also acceptable for us to tell them what we would like to see, but if done in a more encouraging way it might get a better response. JMHO
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!