Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Fauquier County VA - Virginia's most carefully pronounced county.
    Spyder Garage

Default Disapointment With BRP Owners Event

We had a great time meeting everyone, looking at all the farkled Spyders, eating and riding. But, I found the event lacking. This was our first and as I participate in similar events for my other hobbies and interests I expected a little more. What was lacking were any technical forums. It would have been great if BRP put on live demos as how to do things like oil changes, belt alignments, pre-ride checks, or even tupperware removal for the new owners. I think there would be a lot fewer service complaints if the less mechanically inclined owners could perform routine maintenance.

BRP wouldn't even have to do the seminars. They could solicit for dealers or even guys like Scotty to do them. Anybody else think this would improve the event, or am I off-base here?
    2012 RT Limited - Pearl White

My Mods -
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?39494-DR-Buck-s-2012-RT-Limited-Mods
    2012 RT Limited , Full size brake peddel White w/Red Highlights

Spyder Garage

Arrow

Personally think it's a great idea. Give a little - learn a lot. That's why I advocate the 'Buddy System' for maintenance. People who live near each other are missing some really good times if they aren't getting together to work on their Spyders.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I hear what you are saying; but am not too sure any corporation would want to promote DIY training; other than the very basics of checking or changing oil (and such).

Service for their dealer network generates a large part of their revenue; and this goes without mentioning the potential liabilities involved with corporate DIY Maintenance Training...

I could see someone making the following statement in a lawsuit... "But I did it exactly as I learned from BRP at the Owner's Event!".

Sorry, but I wouldn't ever expect any corporation to expose themselves in that manner given the litigious society we live in these days.

Heck... I am expecting someone to sue a member here eventually for advice given to them that didn't work out. Don't know when that will happen... but I am most certain it will someday. Too many under-employed attorneys, and people wanting to blame others and make money...
    Last edited by Illinois Boy; 06-16-2013 at 08:31 AM.

SL #7026
    VBA #652
    HOG #3935417
    2011 Viper-Red Spyder RT SE5 & Trailer
    2017 HD Ultra Limited
    Former Rides: 2014 HD Ultra Limited; '04 Kawa Nomad; '09 HD Ultra-Classic; and many Hondas through the years.
    Spyder Newbies Do's & Do Not's: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

Spyder Garage

Arrow

Good point. Too many people have their lawyer on speed dial.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you go to the event with the intention of meeting all of your "newest best friends"; you never come away dissatisfied...
    At least that's what I do... JMHO
    I learned a long time ago that it's not what you say as an instructor; it's what they remember hearing in Court, that matters...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Fauquier County VA - Virginia's most carefully pronounced county.
    Spyder Garage

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Illinois Boy View Post
    I hear what you are saying; but am not too sure any corporation would want to promote DIY training; other than the very basics of checking or changing oil (and such).

Service for their dealer network generates a large part of their revenue; and this goes without mentioning the potential liabilities involved with corporate DIY Maintenance Training...

I could see someone making the following statement in a lawsuit... "But I did it exactly as I learned from BRP at the Owner's Event!".

Sorry, but I wouldn't ever expect any corporation to expose themselves in that manner given the litigious society we live in these days.

Heck... I am expecting someone to sue a member here eventually for advice given to them that didn't work out. Don't know when that will happen... but I am most certain it will someday. Too many under-employed attorneys, and people wanting to blame others and make money...

Google a company called Wood-Mizer. They are the largest portable sawmill manufacturer in the world. HQ is Indiana. Can you say sawmill and not think DANGEROUS ? They hold owners seminars 100's of times a year. Every one includes maintenance and technical talks, mostly done by their dealers. Many companies do this. It improves sales and the companies reputation
    Last edited by DR Buck; 06-16-2013 at 07:21 PM.
    2012 RT Limited - Pearl White

My Mods -
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?39494-DR-Buck-s-2012-RT-Limited-Mods
    2012 RT Limited , Full size brake peddel White w/Red Highlights

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I was talking to Scotty at the owners event and we were remarking how much money and effort BRP must have put in to host this event. Just the cost of the meals alone must have been something. We mused how it had changed over the years and then we said by Monday someone would post some criticism of the event. So I wasn't surprised to see the title of this thread at all. Just disappointed.........just sayin
    Love my

Statistics show that most motorcycle accidents are caused by a defective nut holding the handlbars.

Spyder Garage

Default it's all right here

Quote Originally Posted by DR Buck View Post
    We had a great time meeting everyone, looking at all the farkled Spyders, eating and riding. But, I found the event lacking. This was our first and as I participate in similar events for my other hobbies and interests I expected a little more. What was lacking were any technical forums. It would have been great if BRP put on live demos as how to do things like oil changes, belt alignments, pre-ride checks, or even tupperware removal for the new owners. I think there would be a lot fewer service complaints if the less mechanically inclined owners could perform routine maintenance.

BRP wouldn't even have to do the seminars. They could solicit for dealers or even guys like Scotty to m. Anybody else think this would improve the event, or am I off-base here?
    between arntufun's videos and the diy board most of it is covered. somebody with an RT and a video camera should do some videos on body removal and anything else that is different from the ''s'' platform.
    thanks again Randy
    it was fun while it lasted.

Spyder Garage

I came a long way and I thought it was an excellent event. BRP obviously spent a boatload. Granted, it's intelligent marketing for current owners which generally are future buyers but it's not something that most companies would even think of doing. Forums on general stuff and tech Q&As might have been a nice add on but I really appreciate the fact that BRP actually seems to appreciate the owners.
    2012 Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

BRP wouldn't even have to do the seminars. They could solicit for dealers or even guys like Scotty to do them. Anybody else think this would improve the event, or am I off-base here?

Well, you asked!

I think you are so far off base, you're behind home plate.

Why would any manufacturer consciously take revenue opportunities away from a dealer network they need to expand? I can't imagine Honda, Yamaha, Harley Davidson or any other company supporting such a bad idea. Why would a company work against themselves in this manner? I can understand seminars on safe riding techniques similar to the saw mill example but to work to curtail a revenue stream from the dealers is bad business.

DIY is fine as long as folks don't exceed their level of competence.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    Well, you asked!

I think you are so far off base, you're behind home plate.

Why would any manufacturer consciously take revenue opportunities away from a dealer network they need to expand? I can't imagine Honda, Yamaha, Harley Davidson or any other company supporting such a bad idea. Why would a company work against themselves in this manner? I can understand seminars on safe riding techniques similar to the saw mill example but to work to curtail a revenue stream from the dealers is bad business.

DIY is fine as long as folks don't exceed their level of competence.
    Agree on the competence statement. But, I hope BRP does not model themselves after all you have named. If they do, then they just become one of them. To date, that IS NOT how I view BRP. Hope it stays that way.

Spyder Garage

The owners event is a thank you from BRP for our purchase of their product. No, it doesn't have all the bells and whistles some of us would like. However, it's an opportunity to meet some of the folks from BRP, fellowship with other Spyder owners, and enjoy ourselves. Not many companies do this. If they do it's usually a one day thing at a local dealer and the meal, if there is one, usually consists of a hot dog or dried out burger and a cold drink, no nice roads to ride and no one from corporate to meet and talk to. BRP supplies the catered meal. We have the gorgeous areas to ride, be it Maggie Valley or Colorado. I don't know what BRP pays out for these events. Frankly, I don't have a need to know. But to have them do this for us is something to be appreciated. JMHO.

Due to reasons beyond our control, we missed the OE this year. Hope to make the next one.
    Last edited by bruiser; 06-16-2013 at 09:50 AM.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

rayeade

Default Disapointment With BRP Owners Event

Iwas not disappointed at all. Did not get to the dinner and had to cut my visit short on Friday morning. However I did meet some of the owners and get firsthand info on some of the items that are taken care of by sponsors here, such as hot right foot from the radiator. I found Spyderpops and had the lower vent closed of with his heat shield and no more hot foot. There are always ways that events can be improved but I will leave it to the sponsor to decide what they want to do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Google a company called Wood-Mizer. They are the largest portable sawmill manufacturer in the world. HQ is Indiana. Can you say sawmill and not think DANGEROUS ? They hold owners seminars 100's of times a year. Every one includes maintenance and technical talks, mostly done by their dealers. Many companies do this. It improves sales and the companies reputation
    This is "apples and oranges", with all due respect.

You are talking about "commercial-equipment" owned by a company in the operation of their business that faces labor-laws, safety issues, and productivity requirements. This equipment is not a "retail" product, like a Spyder.

Part of the "maintenance-training" the manufacturer provides is also to keep from getting sued.

Also, you are trying to compare "commercial" equipment that generates revenue for its owner under specific laws, requirements, and liability standards not existing in "retail" products. An entirely different scenario -- thus apples and oranges. No comparison, in my opinion, or by an attorney's point of view.

I can imagine there are numerous issues that arise on this equipment needing maintenance often, if not daily; requiring skilled-operators or maintenance personnel looking daily to help assure the machinery is operable and safe. The company owning the equipment also shares in the liability risk in keeping their employees safe on the job. There is such a thing as OSHA and state regulations regarding commercial equipment -- especially dangerous equipment on the job-site. Again... different laws, use-purposes, and personnel operating-skills cover "retail" products.

Companies like Caterpillar, John Deere, and many others similar are no different than this company in providing "maintenance-training" also -- but mostly for the reasons I just mentioned (i.e., safety, productivity, and likely contract clauses requiring training for on-site skills in maintenance.)

No one should ever expect a retail company to provide detailed maintenance-training to their end-users. Far too many liabilities in doing so. You were better off to have gone to the rally to enjoy the riding in that area and the hospitality provided.

SL #7026
    VBA #652
    HOG #3935417
    2017 HD Ultra Limited
    Former Rides: 2014 HD Ultra Limited; '04 Kawa Nomad; '09 HD Ultra-Classic; and many Hondas through the years.
    Spyder Newbies Do's & Do Not's: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

Spyder Garage

For stating this you are being roasted. Really!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    For stating this you are being roasted. Really!!
    Simple stuff like this is in the manual. If someone owns a Spyder and rode it all the way to the OE without having an idea how to do these things... well... they don't deserve to be owning a Spyder.

Really...

SL #7026
    VBA #652
    HOG #3935417
    2017 HD Ultra Limited

Spyder Garage

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Illinois Boy View Post
    Simple stuff like this is in the manual. If someone owns a Spyder and rode it all the way to the OE without having an idea how to do these things... well... they don't deserve to be owning a Spyder.

Really...
    Can't speak to who went to the event and who did not. But, can say with complete confidence there are many now riding spyder's who don't have the first clue on how to do, or, are initially intimidated at the thought, of doing the very basic things he mentioned.

Some of us who have been around cycling for years should remember from where we came.

Really!
    Last edited by Jeriatric; 06-16-2013 at 10:56 AM.

Spyder Garage

Originally Posted by DR Buck

Most of these things are covered in the owners manual so I see no legal or liability problems with demonstrations of these.
    If there were a problem then the owners manual would also be a problem.

Glo Ryders {4 sets (Blue, Red, Orange, Pink) I swap out}
    Rear Trunk Liner ......... Seal Floorboards
    Rear Trunk Shelf
    Corbin Heated Seat
    extra 12V plug
    Elka shocks
    White/Red fender lights
    Bump/skid
    Baker Wind Wings
    Honey Burl Dash Kit

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Yfactor View Post
    Originally Posted by DR Buck

Most of these things are covered in the owners manual so I see no legal or liability problems with demonstrations of these.
    If there were a problem then the owners manual would also be a problem.
    You're not saying your owner's manual shows how to align the belt, are you? I have a 2008 owner's manual and it only shows how to check belt alignment.

I agree that there shouldn't be any legal issues, if it is something already covered in the owner's manual.

I also agree with those that say there could be legal issues. I once worked for a large corporation that years ago produced gas water heaters. They were sued because someone's child was cleaning his bike chain with gas in front of the water heater. The corporation lost and after that they had a sticker affixed to the heater regarding the use of flammable material in front of the heater.

Spyder Garage

Your not even in the ball park, much less off base. It was a GREAT event & if ya want to learn about your Spyder read the BOOK. Just my opinion.---Budro

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by coz View Post
    between arntufun's videos and the diy board most of it is covered. somebody with an RT and a video camera should do some videos on body removal and anything else that is different from the ''s'' platform.
    thanks again Randy
    I agree- If you "Look in the DIY Section" you find video,s of lots of things or picture explanations -ADD the search feature and theres Not much you can,t find out here!!! Lamont even has the RT tupperware removal in there too.

If your gonna keep your Spyder a few years its time to take it apart and get to know it because it will save you Big $$$ and the second and third time get real easy!!!!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

All the items mentioned are covered already on the forum. There are many how-to videos related things such as checking the oil, changing the oil, belt alignment, tupperware removal, access to everything under the skin of the spyder etc.
    I appreciate the Owners event very much. No complaints on this end.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Spyder Garage

Default just wonderin'

Did the RV co. that ya brought your Spyder to the event behind have a owners event ? Did they give a seminar on Spyder loading ? Not nice I know, but sometimes it just feels good.---Budro I rode mine

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default VERY GOOD IDEA!

Back in the 60's and 70's, when I belonged to the ALFA Romeo Club of Northern California, we would invite a dealer technician to give us the correct procedure for changing spark plugs, or adjusting valves, or balancing the Weber carbs, or adjusting headlights, etc. about every three months, at one of our regular meetings. It prevented non-technically inclined owners from REALLY screwing things up, and made for much more satisfied ALFA owners over all. It also showed which dealers were REALLY interested in happy owners, and not just "servicing" the vehicles. It's a great idea, and I hope BRP does it! It would definitely help their image with owners. CapNCrunch

Spyder Garage

Default I wasn't disapointed!

I was there to meet and talk to people who have the same love for their Spyder as I have. And I did. Not only did we compare our rides, we talked about other non-spyder things. Isn't that what this OE was all about?

I made a vacation out of the week and rode almost 1700 miles. Many of them in the mountains and the rain! I even rode the Dragon... and have the T shirt to prove it. Although, it only rained a few hours on Thursday, I was smiling to myself as I was thinking about Spyderfest. The nice thing here was that it was much warmer. As I was riding up to Lamonts and on the Rattler, Nanny kicked in. I just patted her on the side and said thanks!

I was a great event and all the things BRP did for us was top notch. My hat's off to them.

Can't wait till next year!
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk