Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Disapointment With BRP Owners Event

Always seems to be one unhappy camper no matter what.

It was a great owners event. Meeting old friends and new. Great riding. Great food.

BTW.. there WERE technical seminars held.... every night in the parking lots of the hotels. People helping each other with issues, talking about add-ons and having fun.

How anyone could be disappointed down in that beautiful area for riding is beyond me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    Can't speak to who went to the event and who did not. But, can say with complete confidence there are many now riding spyder's who don't have the first clue on how to do, or, are initially intimidated at the thought, of doing the very basic things he mentioned.

Some of us who have been around cycling for years should remember from where we came.

Really!
    I hear you... and quite honestly do not entirely disagree with Dr. Buck's comments. I just see where there is a potential problem with the whole idea though.

I believe dealers should go through those things when you buy a bike. HD, for instance, includes the basic maintenance items upon delivery of a purchase. Not so much with BRP dealers.

All in all, I hear you guys...

SL #7026
    VBA #652
    HOG #3935417
    2011 Viper-Red Spyder RT SE5 & Trailer
    2017 HD Ultra Limited
    Former Rides: 2014 HD Ultra Limited; '04 Kawa Nomad; '09 HD Ultra-Classic; and many Hondas through the years.
    Spyder Newbies Do's & Do Not's: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DR Buck View Post
    We had a great time meeting everyone, looking at all the farkled Spyders, eating and riding. But, I found the event lacking. This was our first and as I participate in similar events for my other hobbies and interests I expected a little more. What was lacking were any technical forums. It would have been great if BRP put on live demos as how to do things like oil changes, belt alignments, pre-ride checks, or even tupperware removal for the new owners. I think there would be a lot fewer service complaints if the less mechanically inclined owners could perform routine maintenance.

BRP wouldn't even have to do the seminars. They could solicit for dealers or even guys like Scotty to do them. Anybody else think this would improve the event, or am I off-base here?
    In 2010 I went to Spyders in the Smokies - Gatlinburg. Lacking of some things I would've liked.
    In 2011 I went to the Spyders Owners Event in Maggie Valley. Lacking of some things I would've liked.
    In 2012 I returned to Maggie Valley to a TrikeTalk.com Trike event. Lacking of some things I would've liked.

All of them had things I did like. I usually don't go to rallies to go to school. If they had the 'learn to change the oil' class, it would have taken overhead to get it set up right and in an area where a large group could actually see the procedure. So ... like you, I like to meet others and pick up tips. Then too, at SOE 2011, they had a maintenance tent where they corrected an ASC problem I was having. I learned something new at each event.

Summer 2013: Having been to the Smokies now three years in a row, I'm doing something different for this year. I'm leading a tour of 11 of us Spyder people up through Northern PA ... across the miles I'll put to use everything I've learned in now the fourth year of owning my RT-S. Between this and the local rallies I host, whatever is lacking in my events, for some, will be my fault. Alas, I will muddle through and do the absolute best I can ... and expect someone will tell me what was "lacking", many will thank me; which I'm sure BRP/CanAm is experiencing, keeping in mind that SOE is not to 'service' our needs. SOE is BRP/Can-Am's chance to purvey little bits of this and that ... sort of like eating tappas, to keep all of our appetites whet and to cover the broadest base possible. It's to market ... market ... market. If they pick up your feedback. It may strike a chord in their marketing strategy ... but I'd just say go and enjoy the events for the items you found that did make you smile.

Paul

Spyder Garage

There is always room for improvement, but I was very pleased with what BRP provided. The meals were great, the staff friendly, and seeing that many Spyders in one place was great. The location couldn't have been more beautiful, and the addition of the Wheels Through Time Museum was a nice touch. I'll be adding this event to my yearly touring agenda.
    2014 RTS , Spyderpops oversized brake pedal Cognac

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Yfactor View Post
    Originally Posted by DR Buck

We had a great time meeting everyone, looking at all the farkled Spyders, eating and riding. But, I found the event lacking. This was our first and as I participate in similar events for my other hobbies and interests I expected a little more. What was lacking were any technical forums. It would have been great if BRP put on live demos as how to do things like oil changes, belt alignments, pre-ride checks, or even tupperware removal for the new owners. I think there would be a lot fewer service complaints if the less mechanically inclined owners could perform routine maintenance.

BRP wouldn't even have to do the seminars. They could solicit for dealers or even guys like Scotty to do them. Anybody else think this would improve the event, or am I off-base here?

Most of these things are covered in the owners manual so I see no legal or liability problems with demonstrations of these.
    If there were a problem then the owners manual would also be a problem.
    Never said there was not any legal liability with what is in a manual. Of course there is.

I did, however, say, in so many words, that demonstrations have added liability -- which is true.

Do I think it is right? NO I do not; but this world has too many "It's not my fault" people these days wanting to profit for their mistakes -- causing too many people and companies to be cautious.

SL #7026
    VBA #652
    HOG #3935417
    2017 HD Ultra Limited
    Former Rides: 2014 HD Ultra Limited; '04 Kawa Nomad; '09 HD Ultra-Classic; and many Hondas through the years.
    Spyder Newbies Do's & Do Not's: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    You're not saying your owner's manual shows how to align the belt, are you? I have a 2008 owner's manual and it only shows how to check belt alignment.
    A service manual has the information on more technical issues.

Again, a company is not going to get into more technical issues as demonstrations.

How many car, motorcycle, or ATV companies have "maintenance-training" sessions for the public on the more technical maintenance issues? None that I can think of... but I suppose there could be one out there. Would be surprised to see it though...

For those that my think I was jumping-down Dr. Buck's post, you have it wrong. I believe it would be a nice-touch if they had those types of sessions (officially sponsored). However, I was merely pointing-out how corporate legal teams view these types of things. And believe me... they look at it in the way I described. Anyone that has had experience in corp-law would agree with me. For those that have not, are merely arm-chair quarterbacking the issue... No offense intended. The world has been invaded by a bunch of panty-waisted people looking to blame others for their mistakes and make money from it... It sucks.

SL #7026
    VBA #652
    HOG #3935417
    2017 HD Ultra Limited

Spyder Garage

Service Manuals are readily available directly from BRP. They're not hiding anything. You can learn to do as little or as much as you want right in the service manual.

In addition, there are plenty of people out here ready and willing to help...via message, posting, videos.. or sometimes even hands on.

Lamont also has hosted wrenching days around the time of his BBQ's.

Spyder Garage

DRBuck does not need me to defend him but I am stepping in to say that you guys may be a little harsh on the man. First, Dave knows his way around the Spyder and has done many modifications to his RT. He certainly doesn't need BRP to teach him how to change the oil. Secondly, many companies that make niche products, often high end, hold "homecoming " or owners events. The folks that built our RV hold one each year at their location in Iowa. They offer seminars just like the type DR Buck was referring to.

Honestly, my husband and I thought there would be seminars just as DR Buck described. Unfortunately, due to some issues with the RV (results from storing off site for first time), we missed the owners event. We will certainly try to make the next one that is close to us and look forward to meeting all of you there!

Madonna
    2018 RT Limited Champagne Dark

Spyder Garage

This is our second Spyder owner's event. We think being able to talk directly to BRP representatives is great. BRP makes Spyder owners feel like part of the family. We had an issue regarding our dealer that we discussed with a rep last year and we received several follow up emails from them. As long as they stay focused on the individual customer, that will continue to set them apart from the others. We saw some of the same BRP faces that we saw in Durango, and they were all just as nice as they could be. We hope BRP will continue to host events like this so we can meet more Spyder lovers like ourselves.

Mrs. Magoo

Spyder Garage

Look, let's face it. BRP tries to support it's dealer network as much as it can, and the dealers are not about to give away their expertise for free. General maintenance is explained in the owners manual, and beyond that you have to ferret the info out for yourself. It's pretty much the same for the autos that all of us drive... no company is about to give away info that earns them their livelihood for free.
    I personally thought that the 2013 meet was the best run so far!
    Dave
    Never leave well enough alone! (Raymond Loewy)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Illinois Boy View Post
    Simple stuff like this is in the manual. If someone owns a Spyder and rode it all the way to the OE without having an idea how to do these things... well... they don't deserve to be owning a Spyder.Really...
    I disagree with your statement. I think DR Buck and JerBear make interesting observations. Just because they don't see things as you, does not mean their comments are not valued by many. I think it would be a great thing for BRP to offer owner-based demo's and workshops. Not a liability issue at all. I for one am waiting for BRP to answer two simple emails to their customer service office. BRP can do something different than some of the other motorcycle companies, and if they did, it would improve the knowledge base and move them far ahead of the other companies, IMHO. I was unable to make the OE, as a new owner. However, did anyone address the thread published on this site to BRP about issues with the current heat exhaust? If so, would be interested in their response.

"Goodnight Mrs. Calabash, Wherever You Are" (Jimmy Durante)
    2001 Valkryie Interstate with Lehman Trike
    2005 Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe
    2006 Goldwing with Champion Trike
    2011 Harley Ultra Classic Tri Glide
    2013 Can-Am RT Limited

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

My dissappointment was I could not attend... :-(

Spyder Garage

I agree a technical seminar on basic maintenance an owner is expected to do like check fluids and tire pressure would be beneficial to everyone including dealers and BRP. It would be great to be able to do these on actual Spyders under the instruction of BRP. Reading a manual or watching a video is not as helpful as actual hands on experience. It would make the OE even better.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kepople View Post
    My dissappointment was I could not attend... :-(
    Same here...

Spyder Garage

While I don't think having such seminars is a bad idea..... I think the headline of "Disappointed" just brushed many the wrong way. Perhaps it should have been more along the lines of recommended ideas for next time.

I used to be of the opinion "If you can't wrench it, don't ride it".... but that changed with the Spyder... which has more first time riders than I've ever seen before.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) pslawing's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

This was my first owners event. I loved it! Meeting new friends from Spyderfest, seeing Girls on Spyders, eating great food, great mountain rides! I enjoyed very much talking to the BRP folks. I was very surprised at the meals. Nice venue and delicious upscale food. Even a $30 gas card. I don't see HarleyDavidson doing anything for their owners. Hats off to BRP for this event.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

*BING*

kepople:dissappointment was I could not attend... :-(
    Raknid:
    Same here...

Me Three...
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 06-16-2013 at 05:44 PM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default deserve to own one

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    Can't speak to who went to the event and who did not. But, can say with complete confidence there are many now riding spyder's who don't have the first clue on how to do, or, are initially intimidated at the thought, of doing the very basic things he mentioned.

Some of us who have been around cycling for years should remember from where we came.

Really!
    the only thing i know how to do us check the tires and put gas in it. but i know damn well i have worked my butt off to own mine and i do deserve to own it.
    2014 RT , Yellow

Spyder Garage

you cant please all the people all the time

this was my first owners event, and I had a blast

catching up with old friends, making new friends, riding, riding and more riding (except Wed afternoon where we got caught in the storm while we were up on the mountain........)

I look forward to next year!!!
    1. it is what it is - 2014 Black RT-S - Baja Ron Anti-Sway bar, lots of LEDs, Spyderpops Skid Plate, Twisted Sister HID Driving Lights, Tricled 2nd, 3rd & 4th brake lights, F4 Customs vented windshield, Lamonster highway pegs, Ultimate Tall Boy seat, Utopia backrest

Spyder Garage

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by connie9003 View Post
    the only thing i know how to do us check the tires and put gas in it. but i know damn well i have worked my butt off to own mine and i do deserve to own it.
    If my post offeneded you, it shouldn't have. It was a statemnt in defense of new riders/owners.

I'll give you this. It's easy to misunderstand me at times because I don't write in rose petal english.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Trickie Dick View Post
    I was talking to Scotty at the owners event and we were remarking how much money and effort BRP must have put in to host this event. Just the cost of the meals alone must have been something. We mused how it had changed over the years and then we said by Monday someone would post some criticism of the event. So I wasn't surprised to see the title of this thread at all. Just disappointed.........just sayin
    I'm disapointed that 24 hours after meeting folks, I've forgot 90% of the names / faces..

I believe if I stood on a corer handing out money, some people would be disapointed. Considering the money spent to reserve the grounds, arrange with the town, then they fed us twice, had some great rides organized, time spent,and a gas gift card on top, I get "urked" that people would expect more.... If you have a finance advisor, or lawyer that you give business to, they will often sponsor lunches, or dinners.... free food! Would you expect free legal advice during that dinner?

It's sad that we have graduated from a society of gratiude, to one of entitlement.....

Spyder Garage

I wasn't disappointed at all. I had the privilege of meeting Rattigan Roger and his lovely wife, Gloria, Flamingo babe, (hope I got the name right) renew old friendships, riding with and staying with one of the nicest people in this world in Cal777/Rudy, riding some of the finest mountains and seeing some of the most majestic waterfalls in the U.S. And, yes, enjoying the generosity of BRP's thanks for our patronage.

Yes, the originator of this thread is correct that it would be nice to have seminars, etc. However, the lack thereof certainly didn't leave me disappointed with the event.

Chris

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default had a great time at the owners event

Had a great time at the owners event. Great food, great to see old friends. Thank u BRP for an outstanding event

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Trickie Dick View Post
    I was talking to Scotty at the owners event and we were remarking how much money and effort BRP must have put in to host this event. Just the cost of the meals alone must have been something. We mused how it had changed over the years and then we said by Monday someone would post some criticism of the event. So I wasn't surprised to see the title of this thread at all. Just disappointed.........just sayin
    I thought everything was 1st class.I really enjoyed the entire few days and thought BRP did a great job.

Ivor

Spyder Garage

I went to the Owners Event for the same reason i went to Spyderfest and Lamonts BBQ ............ To meet old spyder friends and make new ones ......... For me the Event was a knockout, i loved it.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer