Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Is SE5 filter accessible/changable from new quick change side panel?

I have 2012 RTS SE5 and have the new quick access side panel installed.

My question is... can I also access and change the SE5 filter by removing the quick change panels only? Or, do I have to remove all the covers the old fashioned way? I haven't changed my own fluids yet.
    Thanks for any replies.

George
    Argyle, TX

Spyder Garage

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by TexGEOas View Post

My question is... can I also access and change the SE5 filter by removing the quick change panels only? Or, do I have to remove all the covers the old fashioned way? I haven't changed my own fluids yet.
    Thanks for any replies.

George
    Argyle, TX
    All you need to remove is the new access panel.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Default How do you tell if you have the new panel?

Quote Originally Posted by TexGEOas View Post

Thanks for any replies.

George
    Argyle, TX
    I have a 2012 RTS SE5 purchased in October of 2012. What am I looking for. Need to change oil so any help?

Spyder Garage

Your bike should have a hole drilled in the support to allow easier access to one of the filter bolts.

Spyder Garage

Default Not to hijack thread

I have recently talked to two riders that purchased 2012s ( new ) within the last couple of months and neither have had the new quick change panels installed. Shouldn't one think that any new bikes would already have them installed before being sold by now ?

Spyder Garage

Does anybody know when these panels started showing up on the new bikes? I purchased my 2012 RTS in March of 2013. The dealership did my 600 mile service and nothing was mentioned about this panel. Do I have to request this panel or do they automatically change it out? Is this a warranty thing or is it something that I will have to pay for? Does anybody have a picture of the panel so I know what I'm looking for when I look at my bike? Thanks

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

According to the manual you are to change oil filter when you change trans filter, And to do that you have to remove the side panels and the bottom plate to drain the oil. So I don't know what the advantage of this quick change panel is. I will tell you that the engine drain plug is suppose to be a torx bolt but you had better us a 6 MM hex key or you will strip it out .Very tight the first time. I change to Dimple Magnetic plug with 13 MM hex for both engine and trans.