Spyder Garage

Default More Electrical Problems. - HELP

I just had the battery changed by the dealer and all seemed well until I just hooked up my BRP trailer and it may be a coincidence, but I have a problem.

With the ignition off, when i plug the trailer into the BRP socket, all of the marker lights including trailer running lights are on. None of the lights on the Spyder are on thought.

Isnt the BRP trailer plug switched on with the ignition?

We are going away tomorrow and don't have time to,take it to the dealers, so we will just unplug the trailer every time we stop so i dont kill the battery.

All the lights work as they are supposed to when the Spyder is started.

I have had the trailer hooked up several times and there has never been a problem.

Any suggestions on where to look?

Spyder Garage

Default Stuck Relay? That is what it sounds like

Quote Originally Posted by gazunni View Post
    I just had the battery changed by the dealer and all seemed well until I just hooked up my BRP trailer and it may be a coincidence, but I have a problem.

With the ignition off, when i plug the trailer into the BRP socket, all of the marker lights including trailer running lights are on. None of the lights on the Spyder are on thought.

Isnt the BRP trailer plug switched on with the ignition?

We are going away tomorrow and don't have time to,take it to the dealers, so we will just unplug the trailer every time we stop so i dont kill the battery.

All the lights work as they are supposed to when the Spyder is started.

I have had the trailer hooked up several times and there has never been a problem.

Any suggestions on where to look?
    Sounds like the Trailer Module relay?

When all is said and done......well it must be time to ride~
    2 Stricklands, Steve & Barb
    2011 RT AC, SE5
    Trailer for Travel and/or Golf Clubs
    Power outlet up Front
    Floorboards
    Voltmeter replacing old gas gauge
    Oil Pressure gauge replacing old temp gauge
    Turn Signals on mirrors

]

Spyder Garage

Any solution to this in the driveway, or is a replacement required? Tested the pins with the meter and there is power at the marker light pin all the time now. In the old days, you could always whack a relay with the side of a screw driver and sometimes it would unstick. Does anyone know if the wiring harnesses into the relay has an always on power connection?
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 Stricklands View Post
    Sounds like the Trailer Module relay?

Spyder Garage

I believe this has been mentioned a few times. My only issue, is why does an electrical module crap out on a $4,000 trailer? Methinks, that should be a longevity item?

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Of course there must be an always on connection in the trailer control module wiring in order to supply power for the hazard lights which can be turned on anytime without the ignition on. Silly me.
    Still would like to understand if the relay control module has failed for others. Have searched for other posts on this issue and found nothing.

Any solution to this in the driveway, or is a replacement required? Tested the pins with the meter and there is power at the marker light pin all the time now. In the old days, you could always whack a relay with the side of a screw driver and sometimes it would unstick. Does anyone know if the wiring harnesses into the relay has an always on power connection?

Spyder Garage

The trailer module has no separate relay. It does utilize solid-state switching within the module. The module is fed directly from the battery via MFB1 in the main fuse box (under the seat) and then through F7 in the front fuse box, which also feeds the backup activator. These do not work through the switch or the load shedding relay...they are hot all the time. The module senses use of the Spyder lights, and switches separate power to the trailer lights as a result. With the Spyder lights not on, it appears that the module has shorted the power to the running light circuit. Similar to a suck relay. The only cure would be a new trailer module. The only other possibility would be that somehow the power wiring has become externally shorted to the running light wire on the trailer side of the module. I'd pull F7. If the trailer lights go out, suspect a bad module...although tracing the module output wires for possible shorts to power wouldn't be a bad idea. This is the first time I have heard of this type of failure on a BRP trailer module, although I have seen it elsewhere with powered modules.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Thanks Scotty

I pulled 7 fuse as suggested and hooked up the trailer and the lights were out. I did test the pins on the spyder side of the trailer module and the pin that supplies the power to the running lights is powered all the time.
    As suggested it must be the trailer module. Will need to have the trailer module replaced when we get back.
    Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    The trailer module has no separate relay. It does utilize solid-state switching within the module. The module is fed directly from the battery via MFB1 in the main fuse box (under the seat) and then through F7 in the front fuse box, which also feeds the backup activator. These do not work through the switch or the load shedding relay...they are hot all the time. The module senses use of the Spyder lights, and switches separate power to the trailer lights as a result. With the Spyder lights not on, it appears that the module has shorted the power to the running light circuit. Similar to a suck relay. The only cure would be a new trailer module. The only other possibility would be that somehow the power wiring has become externally shorted to the running light wire on the trailer side of the module. I'd pull F7. If the trailer lights go out, suspect a bad module...although tracing the module output wires for possible shorts to power wouldn't be a bad idea. This is the first time I have heard of this type of failure on a BRP trailer module, although I have seen it elsewhere with powered modules.

Spyder Garage

Thanks Scotty

I pulled 7 fuse as suggested and hooked up the trailer and the lights were out. I did test the pins on the spyder side of the trailer module and the pin that supplies the power to the running lights is powered all the time.
    As suggested it must be the trailer module. Will need to have the trailer module replaced when we get back.
    Remember with the fuse pulled you have no way to activate reverse...and no other trailer light functions (except possibly brake lights?) At least yours didn't fail and blow the fuse...which puts you out of business altogether with trailer lights and reverse.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Just to let you know it was the trailer module on the Spyder that was defective. Dealer replaced today and all is good.

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Remember with the fuse pulled you have no way to activate reverse...and no other trailer light functions (except possibly brake lights?) At least yours didn't fail and blow the fuse...which puts you out of business altogether with trailer lights and reverse.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the "following up". This provides valuable information for the rest of us down the road.

Chris