Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Questions for Spyder Owners

Good Morning,

I'm currently and have been for 20+ years a HD rider and I'm considering a Spyder. Looking for answers or opinions from owners.

1. Did most of you come from the 2 wheeled world? What was the deciding factor to switch?
    2. What made you decide on a Spyder?
    3. Do exhaust mods like the hindle require anything additional? Remap etc?

I love the concept of the Spyder and need to go test ride one. I have already listed my HD for sale as it does not get much use. 2006 with 2500 miles. I love to ride, but seeing as most do, I have to work for a living and riding the bike 60 miles a day to work in traffic is no fun. The idea of not having to put my feet down every minute is appealing to me and I think I would ride it more. Thanks in advance for any thoughts or opinions you may have.

Ride Safe,
    Mike

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Re: Questions for Spyder Owners

Quote Originally Posted by ruttrow
    I love the concept of the Spyder and need to go test ride one. I have already listed my HD for sale as it does not get much use. 2006 with 2500 miles. I love to ride, but seeing as most do, I have to work for a living and riding the bike 60 miles a day to work in traffic is no fun. The idea of not having to put my feet down every minute is appealing to me and I think I would ride it more. Thanks in advance for any thoughts or opinions you may have.

Wow Mike, you don't start with the easy ones!

I think you're gonna find there as many answers to "why a Spyder" as there are members on this forum. For us, my wife wanted to get off the pillion and ride her own machine. For a novice rider, the Spyder seemed perfect -- for all the reasons you mentioned above. We have not been disappointed!

My wife and I can now ride together (she on her Spyder, me on my Triumph Tiger) with both of us sharing the excitement of controlling a fine machine. My biggest problem now is getting her to SLOW DOWN!

Regards,

Mark

Spyder Garage

If not a Spyderlover then at least an enquiring Spyder mind.

I owned a 2 wheeled cycle about 20 years ago but was scared off it by cars either not seeing me or not caring about me. So, when I saw the Spyder, I figured this was something that could keep me safer while allowing me to ride. After doing some more checking on my own and talking with the service manager at my dealership, I learned that it has many safety features built in. The price seemed right also.

I added the Hindle exhaust and it did not require any other computer or equipment modifications. If you go with the NoMagicNeon 90 and Micron exhaust, you need to save and re-use the gasket off the stock pipe.

Your last bit about riding in traffic and putting your feet down is the same for me. As long as the weather isn't brutally cold or snowing, I ride the Spyder.
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

I seem to fall in with SpyderMark. My wife wanted to get off the pillion after all these years. I think her decision was based on the stability, the safety features, the stopping power, sufficient power for touring, and the uniqueness of it. I have been riding for 50 years now, but I sneak off on her Spyder every chance I get. Not putting your feet down is nice. To me, it is the most comfortable motorcycle I have ever ridden. I can go twice as far as on my BMW before I start to squirm in the seat. No major mods for us, as we enjoy the quiet ride, so can't answer as to your last question.
    -Scotty

Spyder Garage

I'm currently and have been for 20+ years a HD rider and I'm considering a Spyder. Looking for answers or opinions from owners.

1. Did most of you come from the 2 wheeled world? What was the deciding factor to switch?

Ride Safe,
    Mike
    Gave up my '96 Heritage after ryding and ordering the !! Sold the custom 1200. Those were the last 2 HD's i had left, even with the being in the shop right now, i have no regrets. :bigthumbsup:

1. & 2. I'd never ridden anything but 2 wheels (cages excepted) for over 30 years. The deciding factor for me included (1) a lot of research about this new ryde (2) i'm a gear head and i love the technology (3) i'm getting older and it just felt so dang comfy (4) except for the uninvited attention it gathers (i'm usually a pretty quiet, spot light avoider) i still just liked the WOW factor.
    3. Nope, at least on the Hindle, didn't have to change a thing. Although later i'm planning on getting the air cleaner and o2 sensor from ken.

The became my daily mode of transportation to and from work (until i was laid off), now it is my main transportation in my job hunting travels. ;D All in all, i couldn't be happier about the decision to get the .

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Ruttrow,

I've owned 15 or more motors in the last 35 years, and the last one was a 2005 Softail. I modified it enough that it sat perfect for me. I put 20K miles on it in 3 years just on weekends. I never commuted with it.

Well, because of back pain and hip issues, I had been looking at trikes for the past 2 years. I rode a few traditional trikes and never felt comfortable about the "emergency" handling.

I came across a test ride opportunity and went. The moment I left the dealer lot, I knew this was the one. At 45 mph, I did everything I could to turn it over. I swerved back and forth until I got one wheel finally off the ground. The system throttled back and straightened me right out. Going down a hill, right front wheel off the road in the dirt, I tried to lock the brakes. However the system did it, I came to a stop straight down the hill and the right front never left the dirt. The other 2 wheels were on asphalt.

I then raced the instructor from 0 to 90 and I felt there was plenty left when I shut it down.

Since it's new, there are issues with it. Some day there may be a "touring" spyder. Right now, you've got to build it. The sport touring is already there.

I sold my Softail without hesitation. Although I thoroughly enjoyed every minute fixing it up, and riding it, I knew it was time.

I'm done with the attention getting aspect of riding customized motorcycles. I now have to put up with "Spyder Face". That burning feeling you get from smiling the entire time you're riding. I need to plan ahead now. When you stop for gas, plan an extra 5 to 10 minutes for Q & A. Hopefully this will wear off (some).

I can't wait to go to Deals Gap. That trip is strictly for me. ;D

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thank You for all the replies. Now I just need to find a dealer that wants my business. Emailed & left voice mails for 2 dealers from around here yesterday morning and have not heard back. Thanks again for all the quick replies.

Mike

Yellinacha
    Spyder Garage

I like your screen name!
    I traded in my Harley Softail Deluxe for the Spyder and I don't regret it one bit! I was having a real tough time knowing I had to trade her in but I knew in the long run that I wasn't gonna ride it anymore once I got the Spyder and I couldn't afford to have both.

I've only been riding for a few years and I've been told I ride well but I like bjt said, crazy drivers in cars sort of wrecked the experience of biking for me. I never came close to getting hit but have seen some close calls with others - as a matter of fact my husband almost got tboned on his Roadglide on Saturday. Someone ran a stop sign and he stopped his machine hard - looked like a dirtbike rider - he had the bike skidding around and going sideways but he never lost it. He's been riding about 30 years.

I also don't like the stop and go traffic on hills - I got sick of putting my feet down as well. Don't have to worry about that anymore :bigthumbsup:.

Another problem I have on and off is neck pain and I've got C5-C7 compressed discs. I can ride but after an entire day of riding my neck would be killing me and sometimes my arm would go numb so I'd be riding one handed trying to shake the feeling back into my arm. I made the bike to fit me since I'm tiny - 5 ft. I erged the seat, new bars, but I was still either worn out at the end of the day or a bundle of nerves.

So I was gonna give up riding or trike my bike and I saw how much a good trike conversion kit would cost. Then my friend got his Spyder - I was so intrigued and went on this forum and read up on it - and read nothing but GOOD STUFF.

Then I test rode one and it went from there. Ordered it end of April, picked it up just this last Saturday! I LOVE IT - I feel safer, more visible, I don't get tired riding it and it is so responsive on the roads. I'll need an exhaust and right now I'm liking how the Hacker sounds. It's all bone stock now but in time I'll do some mods to it.

I'm in CT, got mine at Gargano's - really really nice folks and they do have people that travel that have ordered Spyders from them.

Spyder Garage

When you change the exhaust, the Spyder will automatically re-map.. but it takes a couple hundred miles. You can speed up the re-mapping by unplugging the battery for about 1/2 hour... then it's 'learning' from scratch again.

I would also put the o2 modifier from evoluzione.net on your Spyder if you are going with an aftermarket performance exhaust.

PhotoShop Master
    Spyder Garage

i to have owned hd's in the past the last one i owned was a 1998 dyna wide glyde nice bik i owned it for 2 years put 1500 miles on it ,,,, i've been a spyder owner for around 8 weeks and put 3000 miles on it already ... as far as why ....take the test drive .... you'll know why ,,,,,
    good luck and take care

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

This bike is a pleasure to ride, but it can't fit every size and shape of rider and it can't meet everyone's expectations based on their previous riding equipment and riding style. I was worried about all of the concerns expressed about the reach to the handle bars, the worthless tour shield and the wind effect. Maybe since I had to wait until June for mine the warm weather has made the wind issue not such a factor. Sure you get a blast of wind, but for those of us who rode cruisers most of the summer without a windshield, this is nothing. Laid back on a cruiser with wide bars and no shield effectively makes you a sail.

I may have longer arms or just fell into a sport bike posture easier than others, but I have not found the reach to the bars a problem either. I have only ridden 100 miles at a stretch, so that could be part of the answer.

I'm sure if I tried some other shields, bar extensions, etc, I would notice the difference, but my point of reference is my old cruiser and that leaves me very happy with the Spyder as my new ride.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Bum knee bad balance, love to ride. Spyder hits the spot.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

My only concern each day as I go out is, "will this be the day I become the owner with a real problem". Reading the serious problems (not muffler burn spot and squeaky brakes), but major problems with belt, engine, electronics is always in the back of your mind. Metric cruisers never left me with those kind of thoughts.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thanks again for all the replies. I joined this forum to get some info and meet people and so far the info I received has helped. All I need to do now is test ride one and go from there. I have already gotten some response from the ad I put on a couple of HD forums yesterday to sell mine so I'm hoping that what I have now sells.

Smylinacha , glad to here your husband did not get hurt.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BRPjunkie
    My only concern each day as I go out is, "will this be the day I become the owner with a real problem". Reading the serious problems (not muffler burn spot and squeaky brakes), but major problems with belt, engine, electronics is always in the back of your mind. Metric cruisers never left me with those kind of thoughts.
    Care to point me in the direction of the " real problem " posts?

Thanks,
    Mike

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

They are scattered throughout the site and include major failures (engine breakdown, bearing failure, loss of DPS steering, broken belt). All are covered by warranty, but lay the bike up for days.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BRPjunkie
    They are scattered throughout the site and include major failures (engine breakdown, bearing failure, loss of DPS steering, broken belt). All are covered by warranty, but lay the bike up for days.
    I searched all the things you mentioned and the only return I get is your post. I guess enough said. If I have to look that hard to find problems and most of what I have read here and on other sites is positive, I guess when I get to that point I'll take my chances. I have had my share of problems with any brand motorcycle I have ever owned, should it happen, probably not, does it happen, sure it does. I have owned Harley's for the last 20 years and even a company like HD who has been in business 105 years has what I consider to be quality issues.

Spyder Garage

Ruttrow,
    There have been a small percentage of problems, some bigger than others. Of course those that have issues are more likely to post about it than those that do not. So keep it all in context. Like HD, this company has been around for a long time producing quality performance products. Enjoy your new toy and worry about a problem when it happens to you and use your warranty. I have almost 4000 miles on my Spyder without issue.
    With Christ all things are possible, so live life with no fears and no worries.
    Happy Ex Owner, Hopefully future Spyder owner again.
    Pastor Deb Tangen, Missions Director and short term missionary.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I'm 61 and decided to sell my heavy cruiser and buy a Spyder for 2-up riding. Bought a light Ducati Monster 1000 for riding alone. This set up works for me and I hope to ride till they plant me. I've had two wheels since I was 16. I was at my dealer in Ramsey Minnesota picking up my license plate for the Spyder and as of Monday the 9th he had both a Silver and a Yellow spyder for sale. The dealer is Pro Power Sports and Marine in Ramsey Minnesota. About 15 miles north west of Minneapolis. Good luck on your decission.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dltang
    Ruttrow,
    There have been a small percentage of problems, some bigger than others. Of course those that have issues are more likely to post about it than those that do not. So keep it all in context. Like HD, this company has been around for a long time producing quality performance products. Enjoy your new toy and worry about a problem when it happens to you and use your warranty. I have almost 4000 miles on my Spyder without issue.
    Well said. I look forward to enjoying one in the very near future. The only thing I worry about when riding is getting run over.

Thanks ,
    Mike

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Hello All,

Just got back from a Spyder test ride. Very different than riding any motorcycle I have ever owned. I reached for the front brake before I even got out of the parking lot. Dealer told me there was not one there and I knew that from the amount of reading I have done, it's hell to get old. Very strange not putting your feet down when stopped. Overall I thought the overall ride was good, steering was different, but something I think I could get used to. Way to quiet for me which I know can be fixed. I think my only concern is the reach to the hand controls, I'm only 5'6 and while reaching the bars was not an issue I feel I'm hunched over more than what I would like. I can see wrist pain in my future. Can anything be done about that? Then I would need to find a dealer where service comes first, when I asked this dealer about service he said they are currently running about 3 to 4 weeks out so that if you know you need something to try and schedule ahead of time. Not great but I understand, I then asked what if something breaks under warranty that puts it out of service, his answer, I could sweet talk the Service Mgr. to try and get around the 2-3 week wait. That will happen. Can anyone help on the what I consider to be reach issue?
    Thanks Again,
    Mike

Invalid Emails
    Pensacola Florida & Baja Alabama (Robertsdale)
    Spyder Garage

Good Morning,

Ride Safe,
    Mike
    I have been riding powered two wheelers since '60 but stupid things I have done in the past 45 years is catching up with me.

Arthritis, Diabetes, Kidney Failure, Bullet Wounds, and Agent Orange have all conspired to make it difficult to ride two up on my wonderful old Pacific Coast.

I have ridden a number of trikes and sidecar rigs over the years and the Spyder is the best handling of any and all of them.

I don't ride to be like everybody else, would never have bought the PC in that was the case. The Spyder is a special critter!

SS

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Way to quiet for me which I know can be fixed...
    Of course there are several after market exhausts you can put on, Mike.

dltang and bjt have a nice Hindle install video

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9g2oUhl_nE"]YouTube- Broadcast Yourself.[/nomedia]

which show how easily and quickly it's done. I put on a Micron can from NoMagic Neon like in Lamont's video

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAUdFa1ayC4"]YouTube- Broadcast Yourself.[/nomedia]

and I like the sound and performance, maybe the mileage, too (I never had checked mileage prior to swapping out the stock exhaust).

..I think my only concern is the reach to the hand controls, I'm only 5'6 and while reaching the bars was not an issue I feel I'm hunched over more than what I would like. I can see wrist pain in my future. Can anything be done about that?
    Well, I'm 6'2" but I understand about the reach issue. I had purchased the 1" BRP riser block, but it's still not installed. Other riser block setups are available:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/smf/index.php?topic=1204.0

My lovely bride and I did the long Homecoming ride to Valcourt thru NY and Qc and back through VT and MA, and I was really OK with the stock bar set up. Regarding the wrist pain or numbness, those CB2 Crampbusters are just brilliant for $10.95:

http://www.crampbuster.com/

I put one on each bar end, and it was great to fidget my hands around a bit and remain in control. :bigthumbsup:

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

jeuchler,

Thank you for the great info. All I need to do know is pull the trigger on one. Hoping I can do that on Monday.

Thanks Again, Mike