Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default check transmission?

I keep getting "check transmission" on the display. It will go away on its own but keeps popping up. Usually on the 2nd to 3rd shift any ideas?
    2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS convertible. 2017 GMC Sierra cc diesel. 2017 Arctic cat RR 137 ES

Spyder Garage

Arrow

Any codes?

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Check oil level. that can affect it. also front fusses if loose

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    Any codes?
    How do you know if it's throwing codes? It shows the check engine light briefly

Quote Originally Posted by happyspyder2039 View Post
    Check oil level. that can affect it. also front fusses if loose
    I will look into both
    2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS convertible. 2017 GMC Sierra cc diesel. 2017 Arctic cat RR 137 ES

Spyder Garage

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by ARCTIC View Post
    How do you know if it's throwing codes? It shows the check engine light briefly

I will look into both

Your initial post said "check transmission" was on the screen. what that is.

Search pulling codes and you'll find a how to for your model. Don't have it memorized.

Oil, the TCM has it's on oil pump. If the oil level gets too low it will starve the TCM oil pump and either disallow a shift or make shifting erratic.
    Last edited by Jeriatric; 06-14-2013 at 11:51 AM.

Spyder Garage

Your initial post said "check transmission" was on the screen. what that is.

Search pulling codes and you'll find a how to for your model. Don't have it memorized.

Oil, the ECM has it's on oil pump. If the oil level gets too low it will starve the ECM oil pump and either disallow a shift or make shifting erratic.
    That's what it's doing. It's stopping me from shifting and then when I roll off the throttle USUALLY it then lets me shift and the light is gone

Spyder Garage

Ok, I checked the oil and it was down to just above the "add" line. I put the needed oil in it but can't imagine that would affect the shifting???? All Relays and fuses are secure. I can't test drive it until sometime this weekend. Wonder if I jarred something when messing with the headlights?

Spyder Garage

Arrow

Ok, I checked the oil and it was down to just above the "add" line. I put the needed oil in it but can't imagine that would affect the shifting???? All Relays and fuses are secure. I can't test drive it until sometime this weekend. Wonder if I jarred something when messing with the headlights?
    Think of it this way. That's your oil level setting still on level ground. Now imagine what it's doing when you...stop..start....roll left or right with road slope....or, add the G forces of turning. Any one of these could cause the trans shifter oil pump to be deprived of sufficient oil supply.

Spyder Garage

Think of it this way. That's your oil level setting still on level ground. Now imagine what it's doing when you...stop..start....roll left or right with road slope....or, add the G forces of turning. Any one of these could cause the trans shifter oil pump to be deprived of sufficient oil supply.
    Hopefully the issue is cured. BUT..... I'm skeptical. I added less than 1/4 of a quart of oil.

If it's an electrical gremlin at least it likely won't cause mechanical damage.

Spyder Garage

Arrow

Hopefully the issue is cured. BUT..... I'm skeptical. I added less than 1/4 of a quart of oil.

If it's an electrical gremlin at least it likely won't cause mechanical damage.
    If you want it to be electrical. Perhaps you'll get your wish.

Spyder Garage

I don't WANT it to be electrical but it appears to me it is and I'm trying to make myself feel better about ridingit with the issue

Spyder Garage

Arrow

I don't WANT it to be electrical but it appears to me it is and I'm trying to make myself feel better about ridingit with the issue

Only kidding with ya man. Hope it's all OK now.

Spyder Garage

Hopefully that little dab of oil did the trick

Only kidding with ya man. Hope it's all OK now.

Spyder Garage

Default You can start..!!

imagining..these techy machines will do many things when low on oil. They may advise you in advance but then you will not have to replace expensive parts..it's a good thing. I check all levels before weekend rydes and carry a little with me.. Hope that is what happened..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

That makes 2 of us!!! I probably should check it more often but most off my rides are spur of the moment quick rides. I made sure the tcm harness was good and tight. Can't see anything wrong otherwise

Spyder Garage

Ok, I added oil, checked all relay's and fuses, unplugged and reseated the wire harness connection on the TCM, wire brushed the battery terminals and re-torqued the bolts..... Rode 30 miles tonight and never saw any engine lights Hopefully (fingers crossed) it's fixed

Drove through this on the way home: Screenshot_2013-06-14-22-45-56.jpg
    Last edited by ARCTIC; 06-14-2013 at 10:50 PM.

Spyder Garage

Still getting error code
    PO0826
    IMG_20130618_182749_538.jpg

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

looks like a bad up/down shift switch:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyryder View Post
    looks like a bad up/down shift switch:
    Thank you!!! VERY, VERY HELPFUL

Spyder Garage

I followed the wire down to a connection right behind the frunk and it didn't appear to be loose. Suppose I should just order a new SE5 shift paddle? Is it item #23 in the diagram? They call it a "switch housing - SE5 semi-automatic" Hopefully it's the switch guts included?

switch housing.JPG

It's obviously an intermittent issue. Hopefully I'm not just replacing a part because there was some moisture in it?

Spyder Garage

Update, I did install the new shift switch housing and it seems to have fixed the problem. I've gone on 2 separate rides about 230 total miles and have not seen the check transmission light since. This site is NECESSARY if you own a spyder. I appreciate all the help from everyone.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Check

my bike did that in the first months of ownership, I took it back to the dealer and they advised me that there was nothing wrong. Needless to say over a year later my engine is locked but luckily I am so anal that I kept all receipts of service and diagnostics on the bike and now waiting on a decision from BRP. in short, take it to the dealer and have them check the codes and retain the receipt just in case something happens
    I keep getting "check transmission" on the display. It will go away on its own but keeps popping up. Usually on the 2nd to 3rd shift any ideas?

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Glad you got your issue resolved- This Site is PriceLess ........ isn't it.

Quote Originally Posted by myronmathis View Post
    my bike did that in the first months of ownership, I took it back to the dealer and they advised me that there was nothing wrong. Needless to say over a year later my engine is locked but luckily I am so anal that I kept all receipts of service and diagnostics on the bike and now waiting on a decision from BRP. in short, take it to the dealer and have them check the codes and retain the receipt just in case something happens
    Good advice on a new vehicle, but considering his is a 2008

Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Check Transmission Warning - My story

On my way to the dealer today to get the Windshield bracket replaced (Another story see the thread )
    WARNING FOR ALL RT OWNERS * You may want to check

About 4 miles from home and the Check Transmission? Warning came up along with the light in the display
    Spyder RT-S SE5 Still running and I was in 4th Gear
    Looking for a safe place to pull over and tried to change gear it would not go up or down
    Found a side road and stopped the Spyder and it showed 1st gear

Turned it off back on, Foot on brake it started went into Neutral but would not change up or even reverse
    Also noticed all my lights were out – Yesterday I replace my number Plate bulb with an LED which was Can-Bus safe – This one had heat shrink at the back This had blown a fuse I believed I still had the Spyder connected to a battery tender and this was the cause
    Once the fuse was replaced and the battery tender removed all was tested OK

So I decided to replace the Fuse for the lights and they worked but blew the 15amp fuse
    Now I also believed I had an Electrical and Low oil problem

Had no Oil with me so decided to call out the UK AA (Automobile Association) Breakdown Service
    Whilst waiting for them to arrive I decided to remove the LED Number Plate bulb
    Once it was removed -Key in Spyder in N Started and was able to shift into 1st gear, Quick check up the road and all gears were working and the Check Transmission Light did not come on
    Cancelled the AA and made my way to the dealer with no further problems
    Have since replaced the Number Plate bulb with a standard one

Questions
    How can a blow 15amp fuse for the lights bring up the Check Transmission warning and also not allow me to change gear

Can I replace the Rear number plate bulb with a none Can-Bus type LED Bulb

Just posted this just in case someone has a similar problem
    Last edited by eddieshep999; 07-08-2013 at 12:01 AM.
    Eddie Sheppard
    Poole Dorset UK

Get a Spyder - See the World

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Check Transmission Error while changing gears.

I ride a 2012 RS SE5, mine is at the dealer right now for the same issue. I too did not feel comfortable riding with that error message, flickering lights, etc. The technician called me last week and said that it is the "gear location sensor". It is covered under warranty, 3-5 days shipping and I should be up and rolling again.
    Last edited by Spydaman; 07-07-2013 at 03:56 PM.