Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Spyder Nose Scraped by Dealer

DSCF0378.jpg
    Picked up my RT today from shop. It was in for 600mi. and some minor warranty work. While in there care the nose was damaged. I have sent pictures and talked with the dealer (didn't notice until I got it to the house, 85mi. away), waiting for response. Now... I had planned to install a "bumpskid". My question is this: Will the nose of the "bumpskid" cover the damage or do I need to press dealer for a repair? I have not seen the "bumpskid" in person nor have I seen pictures at the correct angle to be able to tell. Any close up pics of the nose would be a great help. I can't tell if there is a space between nose of Spyder and nose of "bumpskid".

Spyder Garage

That is pretty nasty looking. Looks more like tar or something--but hard to tell exactly for what I can see in the picture.

Hopefully your dealer will not give you the "third degree" and you will get the problem solved without too much hassle.

You have entered into a grey area that is sometimes hard to prove.

Keep us posted.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by mdale46 View Post
    DSCF0378.jpg
    Picked up my RT today from shop. It was in for 600mi. and some minor warranty work. While in there care the nose was damaged. I have sent pictures and talked with the dealer (didn't notice until I got it to the house, 85mi. away), waiting for response. Now... I had planned to install a "bumpskid". My question is this: Will the nose of the "bumpskid" cover the damage or do I need to press dealer for a repair? I have not seen the "bumpskid" in person nor have I seen pictures at the correct angle to be able to tell. Any close up pics of the nose would be a great help. I can't tell if there is a space between nose of Spyder and nose of "bumpskid".
    Some lifts are high. It would be very easy to do this going on and coming off. Not saying that's what happened. But, based on where the marks are. It's highly probable.

If, you can not see the marks when standing in front but back a little. Then you'll not see them with the bump skid in place. If your dealer accepts responsibility perhaps he'll help with the bump skid purchase. Just a thought.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Don't you just hate it when stuff like this happens?
    If your dealer admits to it happening, and assumes responsibility for repairs; (IF! )
    Good Luck, and please let us know what he says...
    (And then; put the Bumpskid on to protect it from any further abuse...)
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

DSCF0378.jpg
    It will protect it, but I would get that fixed first. And it's on them if that wasn't there when you delivered it to the dealer.

Like Bob said, the least they could do is help on the purchase...
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Between Fort Worth and Wichita Falls Texas
    Spyder Garage

The bumpskid will not cover it entirely. You'll still see some of it. Sorry!
    Do things like your life depends on it. It COULD!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thats the way it is. I've had this happen to me previously, honestly. It'll be a case of your word against theirs. Whoever worked on your bike won't really want to admit that he mighta caused the problem.
    If anything, i'd just write it off as some wear and tear. Install the skid pads and just enjoy riding some more. Stressing and getting into an argument with the dealer about this will be just too stressful.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spydercowboy View Post
    Sorry... It looks as if the the bevelled edge of that nose has taken some damage, and the Bumpskid won't wrap up over the front of it...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by keith217 View Post
    Thats the way it is. I've had this happen to me previously, honestly. It'll be a case of your word against theirs. Whoever worked on your bike won't really want to admit that he mighta caused the problem.
    If anything, i'd just write it off as some wear and tear. Install the skid pads and just enjoy riding some more. Stressing and getting into an argument with the dealer about this will be just too stressful.
    I agree with this one. Once you leave the dealer, who knows. As a cop, I hated to respond to domestic distrubances. He said, she said with no good answer.
    Ask the dealer, but if they say, not me, as above.
    Good luck and safe riding.
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Sorry, I know this is too late, But, the bumpskid would have prevented this.

Cruzr joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Default Now if..!!

It ends up in your hands...a little light sanding on that upper area some color matched paint ( see threads ) or a trip to the nail salon for paint and you will not notice it with the skid installed..good luck..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

DSCF0378.jpgWhile in there care the nose was damaged.
    I know that it is inevitable that your new toys will get scratched. But please at least give me the satisfaction of scratching it myself. Sorry to hear about your crappy luck, hopefully it all turns out OK!
    2011 RTS SM5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by keith217 View Post
    When I bought my RS back in 2011 I noticed a scrape on one of the front rims about a week later. I knew I did not do it, and when I talked to the dealer they said they will try to get BRP to warranty it, as it looked like it was done during tire mounting. Of course they came back with BRP said no due to being so late in reporting it, and had I told them the same day or next day it would have been better. What saved me was I took pictures of me taking possession of the bike, and when multiplied enough you could see the scrape. Suddenly BRP decided to warranty the rime.

I have only used this dealer for one service job (found a better mechanic), but will give them credit. Whenever they check in a bike for repair/service they have a check list to mark down any scratches, damage, or if no damage present with the bike owner and service writer present. Then go over the list when picking up the bike. Maybe all dealers need to do this?
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Spyder Garage

i always insist that they look the bike over before i leave it

Cruzr joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Default UPDATE on Spyder Nose Damage

Talked with the owner/dealer and no arguement was presented on there part. Some what surprising, I think. They have ordered a new front bumber cover (nose). I fear, however what damage will be done this go round as I have identified several other minor scratches that where not there when I left it with them. ( They replace a headlight. It and one foglight have scratches also. ) Anyway... I would like to do the work myself if they will let me have the part and return the damaged one when complete. Has anyone R&R'ed this part before? I would appriciate some guidance!

Thanks for all the suggestions from fellow "Spyderlovers". I must have the "bad service" gene! Taking any vehicle in for service, is like having to go to the dentist. Worse in this case.
    "No respect"!!!
    Last edited by mdale46; 06-12-2013 at 03:38 PM.

Between Fort Worth and Wichita Falls Texas
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    i always insist that they look the bike over before i leave it

Cruzr joe
    Good idea but who the heck would look under to see what's going on? Guess we now see why we should even if you got a bumpskid.
    Do things like your life depends on it. It COULD!

Spyder Garage

I looked the bike over as did a friend who drove me the 85mi. to pick it up. I didn't notice the "scuff" damage until we stopped to eat. The spyder was in front of the window about 12ft away.
    Ouch! By the way, I had washed the Spyder before taking it to the shop and it was return (lets say, not the same). It looked as though it had been driven in the rain. Again, "no respect". I know that many on hear have been through a like situation.

Spyder Garage

Talking

I looked the bike over as did a friend who drove me the 85mi. to pick it up. I didn't notice the "scuff" damage until we stopped to eat. The spyder was in front of the window about 12ft away.
    Ouch! By the way, I had washed the Spyder before taking it to the shop and it was return (lets say, not the same). It looked as though it had been driven in the rain. Again, "no respect". I know that many on hear have been through a like situation.
    Not asking you to name the dealer but what is/was your overall impression before this incident.

Are they a multi bike dealership?

Level of training for their spyder tech(s)?

any other input?

Just curious.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Canam "only" dealer. Recommended by several on this forum. They are seemingly very knowledgeable on the Spyder. Bosted as to there level of expertise. I suppose I drew the short straw!
    Last edited by mdale46; 06-12-2013 at 01:59 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Update

Dealer as been by all accounts very cooperative. The owner/dealership picked up Spyder today and will fix oil problem, replace the nose (bumper cover) as well as the L kick panel. No arguement, for that I give them a thumbs up. By the way, they had offered to bring a demo Spyder for me to drive while mine was in shop. I declined, but was impressed with the offer.

Fingers crossed!

Spyder Garage

I agree with spydercowboy.

2012 Spyder RT Limited
    Guardian Bell (gift from son)
    Spyderpops bumpskid
    ISCI hand brake
    BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar
    BRP Adjustable Wind Deflectors

Spyder Garage

I would demand they replace the parts... then I would install a bumpskid.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

The service manager let a parts counter guy ride my 08 Spyder back to the shop. Apparently he didn't know there was no hand brake and he ran it into a metal work bench! It put a huge gash in the hood and scratch one of the fenders pretty good.

The parts manager called me on the phone before I even got home. She told me what happened and that the parts were already ordered. They made a mistake and owned up to it immediately.

No harm, no foul.

Number One: 2008 Yellow GS SM5. I love my Spyder.
    Number Two: 2012 RT-S Limited (the poop colored RT) I still have Number One, but Some Girl made me buy Number Two...

Spyder Garage

Fortunately I did not have to demand anything. I sent them pics and they called back, saying they had ordered parts to replace damage one's. Bumpskid was # 4 on my list of Mods. It has moved to #1. I had the opportunity to see quite a few at Maggie Valley and very much liked the way they looked and protected nose.

I too can except mistakes, as long as they do not try to cover them up.
    Last edited by mdale46; 06-20-2013 at 03:14 PM.

Spyder Garage

The "frunk/nose of my spyder was scraped by some redneck in Arkansas while we were going home to Flarda. He was in front of me on an incline. Both of us were making a left hand turn. There was uncoming traffic so we couldn't make the turn right away. I guess he forgot what a brake is about on his truck or he didn't know how to hold a clutch half way to keep it from drifting back. I blew my horn (wish I had of had Rudy's), but to no avail. I have a nice little "cherry" where the BRP emblem is.

Chris