Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Thought of trying a different GPS than Zumo 660

Well, it was a good thought - inexpensive Nuvi at Costco, a couple of Ram parts and mount it to the hole location on the adjustable handlebars. Wrote Garmin to ask about the power cord and received a mild scolding in return. Yes, I knew it would not be waterproof but as I don't ride that much in the rain, so what. But I was also told in no uncertain terms that the Nuvi could not take the vibrations etc of a motorcycle ride and that if used on a motorcycle, the warranty would be void. Suggested that I get with the Zumo 660. Guess I'll start searching the forum for posts on the 660.
    David Horn, Kerrville, TX
    Fulltime RVer
    2014 Phaeton 40ft motorhome w/TandemTow trailer
    2014 Mazda CX5 (Soul Red)
    Ringo, the travelin' canine (just black and tan)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm running an old Nuvi 205. Since I paid about $60 for it refurbished, I figured it was a good test subject. I had to tap into the speaker wiring, to add an external audio jack, and ran that back to my Sena SM-10, so she can put ideas into my head while riding.
    For power, I just bought one of the cords you plug into a cig lighter, pulled out the board, and hooked it into my fuse box.

With the ram mounts, I haven't seen any issues with vibration, but water is another issue... If I get caught in the rain, I stop, and put that thing in the trunk - until I figure that out

I thought aout one of the Aqua-boxes, but those things just look so big! I may make one myself...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You literally can wrap them up in a sandwich baggie...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

that what I do. work great

Spyder Garage

I've been using a Nuvi 765t for almost 2 years and 14K miles no problems. I ordered the factory mount and wiring off of amazon. Works great. I use a sandwich bag when it rains.

Current: 2018 F3 Limited
    Previous: 2011 RT with 622 Trailer

Mods:
    F4 Customs 25" Windshield
    F4 Customs Air Wings
    Spyderpops Top Case/Seat Extender
    TackForm Phone Mount
    Lamonster Ram Ball Handlebar Mount
    Show Chrome Passenger Armrests

Spyder Garage

I use a Nuvi 1490, mounted using Ram parts mounted where the temp gauge was and using the gauge light power. Mounting bracket is from Ram and I got the cord from amazon. Works great with no vibration problems. I have a sun shield which helps with the rain but I do store it away in a heavy downpour. I don't care about the audio so it works great for me ... I got all the Ram parts from GPS City.
    Bill
    Pride Runs Deep Semper Tacitus

An armed man is a Citizen; an unarmed man is a subject....

2017 F3 T SE6
    2015 Vulcan Vaquero ABS
    ALR Chapter 401 (Hilliard FL)
    GA & FL Patriot Guard

Spyder Garage

Default Don't know..!!

have the nuvi 1300 for over a year on a modified Ram mount, working fine. Been in a couple downpours where stopping was not an option and fared fine. Baggie or plastic wrap when possible. If they make one specific they will never admit the others will work especially at those prices. Jmo...!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Been using a Nuvi 550 for the last three years with no problems.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the advice - I'm going to stick with the Nuvi and get some Ram mount parts for it - and carry a plastic baggie in case of rain. I figure I can go through 4 of them for the price of the Zumo and I really don't use all the other bells and whistles.
    David Horn, Kerrville, TX
    Fulltime RVer
    2014 Phaeton 40ft motorhome w/TandemTow trailer
    2014 Mazda CX5 (Soul Red)
    Ringo, the travelin' canine (just black and tan)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool

i agree 100% mine is a Nuvi 1490 had it about a year with a sun shield and ram mount and its great also has bluetooth that sinks with my i phone music and phone calls u can buy lots of bags for the price of a zumo 660.
    Mike

Spyder Garage

I've had a Zumo 550 for three years without a problem… I have a buddy with a NUVI 550 ($99-$199 on EBay). It's waterproof, and works a treat. I just helped my BIL put one on his Magna, for a 2300 mile trip - worked without a hitch………. That's the way I would go, if I needed to do it again.
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

Default This is the cable.

Power cable.
    Power cable.jpg

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Been using a Nuvi for two years with no problems whatsoever, even in the pouring rain (with nothing more than a baggie and elastic band). I refuse to spend $600 for a Zumo then worry about it getting stolen. The Nuvi cost me $60 for a refurb and works perfectly. You could buy ten of these for what a Zumo costs.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I had a Zumo 665 and lost it. I just can't see spending that much again. I think in the future I'll go this route as well.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

I have a nivi 1390LMT first on my GW then the RT. First use a small bag and a rubber band in the rain and as for power cord go to amazon. Look for the one with 1 amp or higher. I will have to look for the part number. I have wire up many bike for car GPS and they work find.

You will need a sun shade. I make my own out of plastic.
    2012 Spyder RT-SE5 Gray 5-31-12 First 5,075 miles on 10-8-12
    NBV kit highway brackets with pegs Bajaron sway bar Lave exh wrap
    Grip Buddies AirHawk 2 His & Her's Walmart Front driving lights
    Spyderpops upper block off plate, belt guard, bump Skid
    BRP
    trailer hitch Napa 6 to 4 wire power converter Ram GPS upper dash
    Baker build air wings the New 3 piece full set Kewl Metal GPS hand bar
    Inspector Gadgets rear mudd flap type, Air deflectors upper & lower A-frame

Spyder Garage

Default Thought of trying a different GPS than Zumo 660

You must be a classy guy. Nice handle, 1390 to get you there and riding a Spyder. You in Maggie Valley this week? I'm at the Comfort Inn and will be at Lamont's.
    Just like most, using ram mounts, Garmins cable that came with it and you've got to have a sunshade and a small sandwich bag
    for the rainy days or a rain jacket pocket works well.
    Tuckmiddle

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Been using a Nuvi 550 for the last three years with no problems.
    Well, so much for that theory! Mine wouldn't fire up the very next morning. I went to the store across the street from our motel and they had one GPS...a low end Nuvi. Of course it was a different shape and size. I used zip ties and Gorilla tape to fasten the car mount to my RAM mount, and we hit the road. Hope this one lasts until we get home.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dshogman View Post
    Well, it was a good thought - inexpensive Nuvi at Costco, a couple of Ram parts and mount it to the hole location on the adjustable handlebars. Wrote Garmin to ask about the power cord and received a mild scolding in return. Yes, I knew it would not be waterproof but as I don't ride that much in the rain, so what. But I was also told in no uncertain terms that the Nuvi could not take the vibrations etc of a motorcycle ride and that if used on a motorcycle, the warranty would be void. Suggested that I get with the Zumo 660. Guess I'll start searching the forum for posts on the 660.
    Hi, I use my iPad Mini mounted to my dash as my GPS, works great. That way I don't need a Garmin or whatever, already had the iPad mini, larger screen too. Make a great day, Paco.
    Chase the wind every chance you get.....! 2013 Circuit Yellow RT-SE5
    Mods: Bump Skid, foam grips; Tric-LED 3rd & 4th tail lights, Mirror turn signals, & front fender lights; CB, Shortee CB & Radio Antennas, NBV Highway Pegs, USA & CA flags on Rivco flag mounts, Black widow frunk logo, Utopia Driver backrest, Sheepskin Driver Seat pad, running & brake light license frame, Chrome Luggage Rack, Ram mount on dashboard for iPad Mini for GPS, Race Tech shocks all around.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default How did you get appropriate power cord to iPad Mini?

Quote Originally Posted by pacog1943 View Post
    Hi, I use my iPad Mini mounted to my dash as my GPS, works great. That way I don't need a Garmin or whatever, already had the iPad mini, larger screen too. Make a great day, Paco.
    We want to mount our existing GPS / Bluetooth enable phones & need a USB2 charger vs. the mount provided for the Garmin on the ST-Limited .. Any guidance on how we should proceed? Thanks in Advance!

Spyder Garage

I have an old nuvi 1490 and have the ram mounts and baggies and it work fine EXCEPT

I cant figure out how to make maps with the Garmin Basecamp software and transfer the routes to the nuvi

yes, there is a transfer to device option in the Base camp software but when I check my device....... no route

I did this for hours before leaving for the owners event and could not get it to work

I am now looking for a different GPS unit
    1. it is what it is - 2014 Black RT-S - Baja Ron Anti-Sway bar, lots of LEDs, Spyderpops Skid Plate, Twisted Sister HID Driving Lights, Tricled 2nd, 3rd & 4th brake lights, F4 Customs vented windshield, Lamonster highway pegs, Ultimate Tall Boy seat, Utopia backrest

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lookerjdc View Post
    I have an old nuvi 1490 and have the ram mounts and baggies and it work fine EXCEPT

I cant figure out how to make maps with the Garmin Basecamp software and transfer the routes to the nuvi

yes, there is a transfer to device option in the Base camp software but when I check my device....... no route

I did this for hours before leaving for the owners event and could not get it to work

I am now looking for a different GPS unit
    I don't think the Nuvi can accept routes. It seems to need to think for itself, then nag when you go your own way. What I have had some success with is to plan the route using Base camp, or Tyre, then create waypoints along the route. I then add those waypoints to a list, and transfer the list to the garmin. I then have to select waypoints as via points when planning the trip using the GPS.

If the Zumo will accept full routes from Base camp, then I may be adding that to my Christmas list.

Spyder Garage

I'm disappointed with my Zumo 660. I say this because although the first year it performed flawlessly, I began having "sound and or loading issues" with it. I just feel like it was/is not worth the some $1,100.00 that I paid for it. I have to literally bang it on the back to get it to "somewhat" work.

Chris

Spyder Garage

Based on earlier SL recommendations I sprung for a Nuvi 1490 last year to replace a really old GPS that wasn't working great.

Well, this one crapped out just the same-- it's been having trouble keeping a charge, and the connectors won't stay fastened to the unit, they rattle loose. So, it's constantly resetting itself, even while "plugged" in to my Powerlet on the dash. But take it off power, and the battery won't last more than an hour. Essentially, it's now useless to me, in less than a year.

Anyone know of any good GPS units that feature a *locking* power cord to the unit?
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Spyder Garage

I have had a Garmin GPSmap 60CSX for probably 10 years (guesstimate) and love it. Used on various bikes with handlebar RAM ball mounts. Performs great...waterproof...wire to Powerlets. I believe this model has since been replaced by the 62S. Only downside is small screen as it is a handheld.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by daveinva View Post
    Based on earlier SL recommendations I sprung for a Nuvi 1490 last year to replace a really old GPS that wasn't working great.

Well, this one crapped out just the same-- it's been having trouble keeping a charge, and the connectors won't stay fastened to the unit, they rattle loose. So, it's constantly resetting itself, even while "plugged" in to my Powerlet on the dash. But take it off power, and the battery won't last more than an hour. Essentially, it's now useless to me, in less than a year.

Anyone know of any good GPS units that feature a *locking* power cord to the unit?
    If you buy a 765t, around $100 refurbished, it comes with a snap in mount and power cord that locks in. See pic.765ta.jpgI mounted this piece, the mount 765tb.jpgto the factory brp gps mount in the middle of the handlebars. The power cord snaps into the side of this mount and stays hooked up all the time. Then you just snap the 765t into the mount and it has worked flawlessly for about 2 years and 14k miles now.

Current: 2018 F3 Limited
    Previous: 2011 RT with 622 Trailer

Mods:
    F4 Customs 25" Windshield
    F4 Customs Air Wings
    Spyderpops Top Case/Seat Extender
    TackForm Phone Mount
    Lamonster Ram Ball Handlebar Mount
    Show Chrome Passenger Armrests