Spyder Garage

Default Leaving for Maggie Valley in the Morning - First long trip!!

I don't know if I'm nuts or not. I've got the RT-622 hooked up to my Spyder and tomorrow morning I'm leaving for Maggie Valley. I'm very nervous about doing this because I haven't taken this long a trip by myself since I got out of the Army in 1978 and drove a 1976 Chevy Chevette from California to Minnesota. I'm trusting that God will take care of me and that my 2013 RT-Ltd will run fine. So far it's been great! (Now I've just jinxed myself ).

It's 960 miles from my house to Maggie Valley and I'm going to do the trip in 3 days on the advice of many people here. On day 3, I'll be riding with a bunch of people from Kentucky who have graciously let me ride along with them (Thanks Fred!!) I've had my hotels booked since last March and I've got my routes loaded into the GPS. I've looked at a number of packing lists and have decided what to take. I think I'll even bring my travel guitar along, after all what's a guitar player without his guitar. I also have my camera packed so I can document the journey.

I've been looking forward to this trip since March. It's the first time I've ever taken two full weeks off of work. I look forward to meeting as many of you as possible at the Owner's Event and at Lamont's Barbecue. I hope Lamont and Chris are feeling better!

Ride safe everyone and I'll see you there!

Tony
    <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <><
    2017 Red F3T

Mods
    Lamonster RIP Floorboards
    Lamonster H4 LED headlights
    Lamonster LED Fog Lights
    Lamonster LED White and Amber Fog Ring
    Lamonster Show Chrome Fender kit
    Lamonster Drink holder
    Lamonster Dual Power Plate with large X-Grip
    Lamonster F3 Driver Back Rest
    Lamonster Lid Lock
    Baker Air Wings Luggage Rack

Spyder Garage

Default Re: Leaving for Maggie Valley in the Morning - First long trip!!

Safe travels, and smile and enjoy the ryde.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
    2015 Intense Red Pearl RTS SE6 - Laser Alignment by Precisyon Trac, Tri-Axis handle bars, ? to be determined.

2014 XLR Viper 305V14 Toyhauler (Home)
    2015 Ram 3500HD Crew Cab

Former Spyders
    2010 Blue RT A&C SE5 53K plus miles - never left us stranded!
    2013 Pure Magnesium Metallic ST SE5 11K plus miles - never left us stranded!

Spyder Garage

Tony, all I can tell you is that my wife, Cindy, and I left Flarda on Saturday and we have traveled almost 700 miles at the end of today, Sunday, on our 2013 RT-S with our 622 trailer and it has at least up until now run flawlessly. I couldn't ask for a better and smoother ride. Just take your time and smell the roses as you go. See you at Maggie Valley.

Chris

Spyder Garage

Anyone who has the guts to travel from California to Minnesota in a Chevette, can manage anything. This sounds like a piece of cake by comparison. Godspeed!
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Tony ride safe and we will see Wedensday in Kentucky. God Bless you on your trip down to Lexington.
    Fred
    "Bad to the Bond"

MODS:
    RT RIDER FLOORBOARDS PART #SPY-RT-FB
    Diamond R, Passenger Armrest for Can-Am Spyder RT
    CAN AM SPYDER RT/RTS/LTD CATALYTIC
    CONVERTER SHIELD SET
    CAN AM SPYDER RT/RTS/LTD RADIATOR BLOCK OFF PLATE
    SHORTEE Antennas 2011Can Am Spyder RT
    Flag mount for trailer hitch
    LED arrow turn single lights for mirrors
    IPS Key Cover
    FH400 License Plate Mounted Double Flag Holder Kit - Can-Am Spy RT
    Hopnel Windshield Pouch - CanAm Spyder
    Can Am BRP (RTS) Spyder Graphic Kit with Trim Kit

Spyder Garage

Ride safe Tony and we shall see you in Maggie Valley and also at Lamont's BBQ.

Carl
    2012 White RT Limited and 2013 Yellow ST-S Think 3 .i.

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

Sounds like an amazing trip and well planned. Keep Spyderlovers Handy. If you have any problems, help is one post away.

I'm envious of anyone who can play guitar. I wish I could wrap my mind around it. I'd love to learn!

Spyder Garage

You'll do great Tony. RELAX. If you have any trouble, don't nuke. Tell yourself it's an adventure and it will be a great story to tell your friends!!

Phil, Tyler TX- from my iPad 7.5 using Tapatalk HD

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    You'll do great Tony. RELAX. If you have any trouble, don't nuke. Tell yourself it's an adventure and it will be a great story to tell your friends!!

Some of our best trips were where things didn't go as planned.... It will all work out!!!!!! And it is an ADVENTURE!!!!!Have a great trip!
    Last edited by hotglue; 06-10-2013 at 05:09 AM.

Spyder Garage

Hope you have a safe trip!!
    2015 RT-S SE6
    USAF Retired 1973-1994

Support our Troops

Spyder Garage

Left home in northeast IN yesterday & arrived at my daughter's place in Rock Hill, SC today. 700 mi so far. Wed. up to Maggie Valley & Fri. I'll ride to Greeneville, TN for the BBQ on Sat. Maybe on to Gatlinburg & then home sometime later, after I call on a prospective customer in southern IN. Hope the weather likes me.

Spyder Garage

I cancelled my room reservation for MV but now I'm able to go. Please PM me if you have any ideas on where I can stay...
    Bill H.

Spyder Garage

Relax and have a great trip. There are many friends along the way should you have problems.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Don't forget to print out a list of "Spyders to the Rescue" in case you need some help or Apple Pie.

(Spyders to the rescue can be found on spyderlovers.com home page.)

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

First day of the trip was fine!!! Rode from my house to Bloomington IL (290 miles) in about 7 hours, all on back roads and through small towns. Spyder ran great with no issues except the trailer got pretty dirty. I'm really glad I bought an Air Hawk R for my butt. It saved the day!! Now going to get some dinner, then crash for the evening.

Ride safe everyone!!

Tony
    2017 Red F3T

Mods
    Lamonster LED Fog Lights
    Lamonster Drink holder
    Lamonster Lid Lock

Spyder Garage

Default understand being nearvous

understand being nervous if the spyder was as reliable as the Goldwing I would not be but its far from it and I,am leaveing Thursday Morning and only 5 hours maybe drive time and never even thought to take this bike more then a hour from the house due to its reputation it has but I ,ll try it anyway so good luck ride safe and slow and hope it makes it

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hmmm. I recall posting a similar thread last year. I was debating taking the Spyder to Cincinatti, from Charlotte. In the end, I decided that I had an equal chance of breakdown in the truck, so I took the Spyder. 1300 miles overall round trip.
    10000 miles later (in 11 months), I haven't looked back at all.

Stuff happens... how you deal with it tells the big story...

Spyder Garage

Default I now know what twisties are!!!

Got up early this morning and left the Super 8 in Bloomington, IL, by 7 AM. Took me 9 hours to get to Frankfort, but I took all back roads. The RT's Garmin had me taking some roads that I didn't know were roads! I went on a barely two lane road for about 10 miles that had nothing but curves. Also US 421 is not as straight as it looks on the map. There are some sections that have a lot of twisties. All in all, while it was a long ride, I did have a lot of fun riding today.

I'm worn out though. I think on the trip back home, I'm going to be boring and take the freeway.

No problem with the Spyder again today except for I've found the hot right foot problem. My Sena SMH10R's battery also ran out about 10 miles before I got to the hotel. Going to have to look at getting that fixed soon, (maybe at the barbecue?) Sure glad I bought the Air Hawk though, best money I've ever spent on my Spyder.

Tomorrow, I'm meeting the Kentucky guys in Lexington and we're all riding down together. Should be a fun trip.

Ride Safe and see you in Maggie Valley!

Tony
    2017 Red F3T

Mods
    Lamonster LED Fog Lights
    Lamonster Drink holder
    Lamonster Lid Lock

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarPlayer View Post
    Got up early this morning and left the Super 8 in Bloomington, IL, by 7 AM. Took me 9 hours to get to Frankfort, but I took all back roads. The RT's Garmin had me taking some roads that I didn't know were roads! I went on a barely two lane road for about 10 miles that had nothing but curves. Also US 421 is not as straight as it looks on the map. There are some sections that have a lot of twisties. All in all, while it was a long ride, I did have a lot of fun riding today.

I'm worn out though. I think on the trip back home, I'm going to be boring and take the freeway.

No problem with the Spyder again today except for I've found the hot right foot problem. My Sena SMH10R's battery also ran out about 10 miles before I got to the hotel. Going to have to look at getting that fixed soon, (maybe at the barbecue?) Sure glad I bought the Air Hawk though, best money I've ever spent on my Spyder.

Tomorrow, I'm meeting the Kentucky guys in Lexington and we're all riding down together. Should be a fun trip.

Ride Safe and see you in Maggie Valley!

Tony

Tony...I bet it was more comfortable than the Chevette though.

Have a good ride and we'll see you in MV. We pull out of here early, early on Thursday and that should put us there before lunch.

See you there.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

Proud of you Tony!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bhfromme View Post
    I cancelled my room reservation for MV but now I'm able to go. Please PM me if you have any ideas on where I can stay...
    We are staying up in Cherokee, not far from Maggie. Good ride up the mountain just 15 miles or so. You can Google the motels there and maybe find something.
    Last edited by StanProff; 06-12-2013 at 07:13 AM.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderpoop View Post
    understand being nervous if the spyder was as reliable as the Goldwing I would not be but its far from it and I,am leaveing Thursday Morning and only 5 hours maybe drive time and never even thought to take this bike more then a hour from the house due to its reputation it has but I ,ll try it anyway so good luck ride safe and slow and hope it makes it
    Sorry to read that your afraid to use the Spyder. I very seldom leave the house on less than an hours ride and do so every chance I get. It is very easy to get paranoid when reading about issues on a forum. That is one of the benifits of a good forum, knowing what issues some folks are having, but just as important, knowing that everything is relative. First there have been some common issues with some spyders, I am not trying to downplay that. Many of these were taken care of by recall or other warrantys. Most of the 11,000 members on this forum, such as myself, have put many thousands of enjoyable miles on the machines without a problem. My wife and I spent 17 days on a cross country trip and had the best time of our lives and would do it again in a heartbeat. (we covered almost 5,000 miles, just me, my wife, the Spyder and 622 trailer). If I had let the forum issues scare me we wouldn't have taken the trip. I just kept it in perspective in that there could be 50 complaints or even a 100 (with many posted by the same people) and 10,000 others without a complaint rolling up thousands upon thousands of miles. I have two wheelers as well as the Spyder, I've ridden most of my life (over 40 years) and the Spyder wins hands down for the Safety features it provides.
    I hope you have a good trip to Maggie and gain more trust in the Spyder. Looks like Thursday may be wet so have your rain gear handy
    Friday and Saturday is looking good.
    Happy Spyderlovers