Spyder Garage

Default Problem shifting

I have a hard time shifting between 1,N and 2nd gear.
    Oil level is fine.
    Clutch fluid level is fine, but could stand a flush and refill.

Mostly cant get into neutral. Only when the bike is OFF will it easily go into Neutral.
    ideas?
    RT-S # 352; Timeless Black... faster than any other color. Mods: EasternBeaver PC8 Fuse Box, 12v digital dashboard display, RearTrunk internal Lights.
    Pioneer XMP3 hardwired, KewlMetal highway foot rests, PolkAudio Speaker upgrades (dxi525 & dxi400), Custom Garmin Nuvi bracket and wiring, Panel Savers, Custom LED array third brake light and rear signal LED's. Custom mud flap lights. Daytime Running Lights (3wattsx6). Heated Corbin seat with 'Lamonster' cut. JBL 400watt Amp,
    Other secret mods.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What year and model?
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

If the clutch fluid is full of black sludge, you could be having slave cylinder problems. By the same toke, it could be something as simple as some air in the system. Flush and bleed the clutch, then keep an eye on it. If it doesn't improve, the slave is probably in need of O-rings at the very least. If it improves it was probably air. If the fluid gets dirty again quickly, have the slave cylinder looked at...not just the O-rings but for scoring on the cylinder and/or piston.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Thanks Scotty!
    The fluid looks cleaner on the top layer but not on the bottom.

Is flushing and changing the clutch fluid something you recommend _I do_ ? Or is too delicate that a dealer should do it?
    I can change the oil myself, as well as some other wrenching.

It's a RTS Sm5 2010. 11,980 miles
    Last edited by Sopher; 06-07-2013 at 12:57 PM.
    RT-S # 352; Timeless Black... faster than any other color. Mods: EasternBeaver PC8 Fuse Box, 12v digital dashboard display, RearTrunk internal Lights.
    Pioneer XMP3 hardwired, KewlMetal highway foot rests, PolkAudio Speaker upgrades (dxi525 & dxi400), Custom Garmin Nuvi bracket and wiring, Panel Savers, Custom LED array third brake light and rear signal LED's. Custom mud flap lights. Daytime Running Lights (3wattsx6). Heated Corbin seat with 'Lamonster' cut. JBL 400watt Amp,
    Other secret mods.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sopher View Post
    Thanks Scotty!
    The fluid looks cleaner on the top layer but not on the bottom.

Is flushing and changing the clutch fluid something you recommend _I do_ ? Or is too delicate that a dealer should do it?
    I can change the oil myself, as well as some other wrenching.

It's a RTS Sm5 2010. 11,980 miles
    BRP recommends periodic clutch fluid flushing. I would not go more than two years (although they also have a mileage specification). I was doing mine myself, for the most part, before the slave cylinder was replaced. It is not hard, but your dealer can do it quicker and with less possibility of damaging paint, etc., from the corrosive brake fluid. If you have bled brakes before, you can do it, but it helps to have an extra person to watch the smal reservoir. If you are the least bit uncomfortable, or don't have help, enlist your dealer to do it.

Was your fluid at the proper level? If it was low, you may have a leak (bad slave cylinder o-rings?), so seeing the dealer might be a good idea if that is the case.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Could it just be something like sticking clutch plates??
    Or is it definitely in the lever?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Could it just be something like sticking clutch plates??
    Or is it definitely in the lever?
    It is likely neither. It could be warped clutch plates, but that isn't that common and any severe warpage would be accompanied by clutch slipping and/or chatter. It has nothing to do with the lever. The master cylinder could be faulty, but they usually fail completely, not just get weak. My money is on air in the system or the slave cylinder.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!