Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Real Bike?

Spyder Garage

Default Real Bike?

On a charity ride this weekend. So, this big bike guy is eyeing me and the Spyder. Finally walks up and says "when you gonna get a real bike?" I said, "I had a bicycle put couldn't ride it anymore so I got this. Do you have a real bike?" His jaw tightens, he mumbles something unintelligible and walks away while two of his buddies are standing there snickering.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

He must be married to the idiot woman I encountered a few weeks ago. You had a great response.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I run into these types of challenges with people when hunting. Bait, no bait, bow verses gun etc. I find these situations deteriorating to both sports.

Spyder Garage

It is pretty difficult to fix either "stupid" or "rude". Your reply and the result were great.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Good one..!!

similar comment was you need a real bike to ride the wind..had one sold it and now have a roadster and ryde ahead of the wind..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

It takes all kinds of folks but for the most part when a "Real Biker" type ask when are you going to get a real bike he's basically calling a 60 something year old guy on a Spyder a sissy. But there is very good chance that the Spyder rider is an ex Vietnam era Vet with combat experience and a weapon on my..er... I mean his hip. The fact that he is ....or could be I should say...a Retired Federal Agent could make the "Real Biker" consider what he is saying. All kidding aside, no one can make you feel insecure or bad about your choices in life except yourself. There are 10,000 Spyderlovers and probably over 50,000 Spyder Owners worldwide that agree with our choice in motorcycles, not to mention almost that many more who would buy one if they had the funds. The fact that someone feels the need to approach a complete stranger to mention something about their ride in a negative confrontational maner speaks volumes about the poor choices in their lives.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You've just got to say it with a BIG smile and a twinkle in your eyes...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    LOVE IT!!!!!and it's RED!!!

Spyder Garage

"it might as well be a car with added danger"

----
    USAF Retired (1986 - 2006)
    Ohio PGR Ride Captain
    Riding with Dignity, Honor and Respect

Spyder Garage

Don't knock my ride! It got me hooked on trikes...LOL.

-Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Not knocking it at all... more of an acknowledgement of the power of an internal combustion engine...

Spyder Garage

i'm kinda liking that one bob! where do i get one?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bruiser View Post
    On a charity ride this weekend. So, this big bike guy is eyeing me and the Spyder. Finally walks up and says "when you gonna get a real bike?" I said, "I had a bicycle put couldn't ride it anymore so I got this. Do you have a real bike?" His jaw tightens, he mumbles something unintelligible and walks away while two of his buddies are standing there snickering.
    Restrained, but classic.

2018 F3 S, BRP SS Grill, Spoiler, Attitude Bars, #1 linkage kit, Chopped R Fender, TBR S1R slip On exhaust, Elka Stage 2 R Shock, Shad saddlebags

Spyder Garage

that is a great bike!! I need one of those for my 3 and a half year old Grandson who is a little hellion on his Schwinn tricycle
    Happy Spyderlovers

Spyder Garage

Not knocking it at all... more of an acknowledgement of the power of an internal combustion engine...
    I knew that. I do sorta wish I had an odometer on it, though. Lots of miles on that puppy over 40+ years. It has served me well as a pit bike.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

that is a great bike!! I need one of those for my 3 and a half year old Grandson who is a little hellion on his Schwinn tricycle

I'd saw the pedals off of it first; they look like a great way to tenderize a young leg with a beating...

Spyder Garage

I'd saw the pedals off of it first; they look like a great way to tenderize a young leg with a beating...
    Take another look...they're fixed in place. This isn't Amateur Hour.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

One thing's for sure; if the CPSC ever saw it... they'd have a stroke!

Spyder Garage

Great comeback This weekend I was on the ferry heading across the Puget Sound and two guys on their Harleys
    were upset that they put my Spyde front and center on the ferry. First off every time. They offered to race. I just
    said why I would not want you to feel bad should an old guy and his wife on his tricycle should fly by you. When we got
    off the ferry I only saw them in my mirror's. That really was not for long. I want one of those Briggs Tricycles

Spyder Garage

Good comeback, Bruiser!

I might get a little upset on these types of comments, so I would come with a comment like your's, or walk away to avoid escalating the issue (meaning that I don't have a good comeback at the moment ). To make them think a little (most of the time a lot since they need gray matter in the first place), I usually like to mention these jerks to tell the "get a real bike" or "training bike" comment to a disabled veteran or civilian who thanks to this engineering, they are able to ride like you and me.
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Spyder Garage

I have never had to respond to an ignorant statement from anyone like that. But, My response would be simply, that more than likely, I have been riding two wheelers longer than most of them have been alive! (anyone with any maturity, meaning age, isn't going to make a statement such as that) and that I presently have 6 two wheelers in my garage, that see very little service, because the Spyder is a much more engaging and enjoyable ride.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Spyder Garage

Guy says, "Is that a real bike?" I said, "No, it isn't a bike. Bike comes from bicycle, and 'bi' means two and I have three." He pauses and says, "What color are the other two?"

Bernie
    --
    RT-S (Blue) with Power Sports Wrap Racing Stripes
    BajaRon's Sway Bar
    Kewl Metal Gizmo Mount
    Rivco Flag Mounts
    NBV Highway Pegs

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I feel left out of this conversation. I live two miles from a huge HD dealership and go there once or twice a month as they have a "thing" going on every Saturday....band, food, demo rides, etc. Naturally I take my Spyder or Wing and park in the DV slot. There are two or three typical HD guys (five day beard, unwashed clothing, large chains tied to their empty wallet, etc) and I get the usual questions...but never smart AXE remarks. Maybe it is my DV license plate (Korea and VN) or my 80 YO grey hair, but most say "that is what I am going to get when I don't feel safe on my two wheeler".

There is usually one or two Tri Glides there (and one on the showroom floor) and since HD is selling trikes, the smart remarks have diminished.

Perhaps it is because Texas has one of the largest percentage of concealed carry folks....I just don"t know. ha ha

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.