Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jthornton View Post
    I was a bit surprised to add a 1/2 quart of oil after 1500 miles so about 1/3 of a quart per 1000 miles. So I'm wondering how much oil the Rotax normally uses. I have 2,200 miles so it should be broken in by now...

What is your average oil usage per 1000 miles?

Having to add oil between oil changes is something I have not done since I sold my 1981 Chevy Custom Deluxe 10 truck.

Thanks
    John
    I never added a drop of oil between maintenance in over 100000 miles on 2010, 2012, and 2014 RTs. I have friends that switch to amsoil or other oils (not picking on them) and immediately their bikes started using up the more expensive oil, then when they changed back to the blended synthetic the oil use stopped..
    some coincidence.... it would never occur to some that maybe BRP picked the right oil for the rotax engine they use
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Spyder Garage

I had thought of that.... talked with previous owner. he told me it used 1 quart every 1000 miles, and that is with the local dealer doing the oil change using BRP oil. Even though it has called for 10-40 began thinking today about a 20-50...
    2013 RTS SE5

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Sorry to revive a bit of an old thread, but I am noticing that my 2014 STS is using oil. I checked it a couple weeks ago after some riding and it was halfway between add and full. I rode some this last weekend and checked again and it's now on the add line. I am using the BRP blended oil that the dealer put I when the break in change was done at 700 miles. I'm at about 2100 miles. This is a bit disconcerting since I wouldn't think any engine designed in this day and age should be burning oil so early in its lifecycle. My question is for the moment, how much oil approximately is needed to fill it from the add mark?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tgwinn View Post
    Sorry to revive a bit of an old thread, but I am noticing that my 2014 STS is using oil. I checked it a couple weeks ago after some riding and it was halfway between add and full. I rode some this last weekend and checked again and it's now on the add line. I am using the BRP blended oil that the dealer put I when the break in change was done at 700 miles. I'm at about 2100 miles. This is a bit disconcerting since I wouldn't think any engine designed in this day and age should be burning oil so early in its lifecycle. My question is for the moment, how much oil approximately is needed to fill it from the add mark?
    Are you running the engine to full temp before checking? I check mine after a ride. I let it idle while I get ready and shut it down and check the level within 5min. The 998's do use some oil usually 1/2 qt. between changes for mine. Make sure you DO NOT overfill my take is it will end up in the air filter. Mine is on the add line when cold so do make sure you are checking it right.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Improving With Age

2012 RTL,

About the end of my 3rd oil change at 10,000 miles. It did not require any additional oil this cycle, so it must be broke in. The motor required about a half quart of additional oil in the previous oil cycles. Switched to Amsoil the previous oil change and will continue to use it.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

2012 RS-S I have used royal purple since my first oil change.

I believe the more expensive the oil the more it will use and at almost 15 bucks a quart over 50000 miles that a lot of extra oil.

I add a quart every 3000 miles ant sure these things are made for synthetic oil?

keep the rubber side down. jtpollock

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I do check directly after riding within a few minutes so that the engine is up to temp. Like i said, I am not using full synthetic since it has only had its break in service and the dealer put in the BRP blend oil. I guess I will pick up a quart or two today on the way home and add a small amount, ride and then check again. I had planned to change it over to full synthetic on my next oil change though...maybe I should rethink that, although I am not sure it will matter since it is burning the BRP blend oil.

Spyder Garage

Default MILE ZERO

WITH JUST OVER 13,000 MILES OF SMILES ON MY FE-S SINCE MARCH 1st...
    I HAVE ADDED 'ZERO' OIL AT THIS TIME...
    I HAVE HAD 2 OIL CHANGES SINCE NEW, AND CHECK MY OIL REGULARLY, AND HAVEN'T FOUND IT NEEDING ANY AT ALL...
    SPYD3R F3-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A bunch of years ago; Docdoru posted some leak-down test results on the 998cc Vee-Twin engines. I can't find it, but I recall that these engines seem to be on the "loose" side...
    Can anybody find that post?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

It just seems crazy to me that in this day an age with the technology we have, that they are still turning out brand new engines that burn oil. If this were 40 or 50 years ago, then ok..but it's not very confidence inspiring at this point in time...

2010 RTS-SE, Orbital Blue
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    WITH JUST OVER 13,000 MILES OF SMILES ON MY FE-S SINCE MARCH 1st...
    I HAVE ADDED 'ZERO' OIL AT THIS TIME...
    I HAVE HAD 2 OIL CHANGES SINCE NEW, AND CHECK MY OIL REGULARLY, AND HAVEN'T FOUND IT NEEDING ANY AT ALL...
    SPYD3R F3-S
    You have the 1330 in the F-3, the OP has the 990. On my '10 RTSI kept the oil level about half way between the add and the full line after a ride.

Spyder Garage

It's a curious thing the term "tolerances" in engines.

Honing is a process used to finish the bore of a cylinder to remove any ridges after the bore has been performed.

Usually honing is used to bring the bore to it's final measurement. It creates a uniform light cross hazing on the bore. Once the engine is assembled and put into service all of these components, pistons, rings and oil and cylinders valves and guides, bearings and a multitude more start to "bond". The rings need to bed in and in the process wear to the shape of the wall of the cylinder. Of course other components in the engine in contact with oil will also have a bearing on oil use at this time. During this running in time it is not unusual for engines to use oil.

This groovy process can take 10,000 miles or more before they are fully bedded in! How you ride or drive can also have an effect on the length of time before the engine is there.
    2012 RT , Yes Lava Bronze

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

That's good info to know. I have never had any of my bikes in the past use a drop of oil between changes and I found it a bit disconcerting. I ended up having to put a half quart in to bring it back to the full mark. So that's a half quart that was used in about 1700 miles.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tgwinn View Post
    My question is for the moment, how much oil approximately is needed to fill it from the add mark?
    From page 111 of your operator's guide it says the amount of oil to be added to raise the level from the Add mark to the the upper mark, F, is 0.5qt or 500ml. It also says that if the level is near the upper, F mark, do not add oil.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S