Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Spyder Smyles's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Open or Enclosed Trailer to Haul Motorcycles – Thoughts?

Hubby and I are looking to get a trailer to pull my Spyder and his Goldwing on long distance trips that we don’t have the time to ryde too do to that little thing called work. I was wondering what other motorcycle enthusiast’s think as far as pro’s and con’s are of an open trailer versus an enclosed trailer. Also wondering what brand of trailers other spyderlovers may be using.
    CURRENT: 2015 Yellow RT-S SE6 "Smiling All the Way"
    CB, Satelite Radio, BRP Vented Windshield, BRP Adjustable Handwings, Cup Holder, EZ Pass Holder, Side Saddle Cargo Nets, Smiley Face FLO, Smiley Flower Face Decals, Tri Axel Handlebar's, Corbin Heated Seat, Baker Built Upper/Lower Air Wings, BumpSkid, High Third Brake/Running Light, Brake/Running Light/Turn Signal License Plate, Turn Signals in Mirrors.

PAST: 2013 Yellow RT-S SE5 - Loaded with lots of goodies.

Spyder Garage

I have both ... I use the 7 x 14 enclosed for trips because of the ease of having everything there and I can also haul my wife's Vulcan 1500. For short trips to the dealer or the like I use my 7 x 10 utility trailer. I would not use anything smaller unless you get a custom made set up like the Alumina types.
    Bill
    Pride Runs Deep Semper Tacitus

An armed man is a Citizen; an unarmed man is a subject....

2017 F3 T SE6
    2015 Vulcan Vaquero ABS
    ALR Chapter 401 (Hilliard FL)
    GA & FL Patriot Guard

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder Smyles View Post
    Hubby and I are looking to get a trailer to pull my Spyder and his Goldwing on long distance trips that we don’t have the time to ryde too do to that little thing called work. I was wondering what other motorcycle enthusiast’s think as far as pro’s and con’s are of an open trailer versus an enclosed trailer. Also wondering what brand of trailers other spyderlovers may be using.
    Open trailer:
    Pros ......
    Cost
    Fuel mileage
    Visibility when towing
    You proudly display your spyder when towing

Cons.....
    Protection of your machine and exposure to the elements.
    Limited ability to haul your gear & clothing

Brand...... ALUMA.

ENCLOSED TRAILER :

Pros.....
    Protection of your machine when traveling
    Doubles as storage for your spyder
    lots of ways too hang and haul gear and clothing

Cons....
    Cost
    Fuel mileage
    Visibility when towing

Brand..... ALUMA
    2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS convertible. 2017 GMC Sierra cc diesel. 2017 Arctic cat RR 137 ES

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

For security and protection from the elements I'd go with the enclosed version. Plus in a pinch it could serve as an aluminum tent.

Spyder Garage

Personal preference, I went with an enclosed trailer because the bike is not exposed to the elements and I can haul lots of other stuff safely and not worry about someone stealing things when I stop. I know it costs more but I think it is worth the extra expense. I ended up with a used Haulmark Low Profile trailer for my RT (7' x 14').

2012 Spyder RT Limited
    Guardian Bell (gift from son)
    Spyderpops bumpskid
    ISCI hand brake
    BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar
    BRP Adjustable Wind Deflectors

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder Smyles View Post

My experience with an enclosed trailer was the same as yours: work. However, we learned a few lessons (thankfully the enclosed trailer was a loner):

a) It is nice to transport the on an enclosed trailer because we got the chance to take our whole family (3 dogs at the time) to Maggie Valley (Owners Event and Lamonster's BBQ 2011). We also got to load the enclosed trailer with pretty much half the house as well, this made having an enclosed trailer the best option, plus protecting the . However, we had to make several fuel stops because between an 8 cylinder truck hauling a trailer full of stuff was no cheap travel

b) We have learned that getting to the destination is more fun than trailering the , and now that we have 2, it made it more fun! Sure, we are training our 2 dogs to rYde with us(our third one passed away but she was too big to get on the so we were going to keep her with friends or at the kennel since she was old anyway), so we still have to make as many stops and take a few more days off to deal with the travel.

The important thing is to enjoy, no matter which way you get there. Good luck!
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Spyder Garage

Agree with bullant12 on fuel. We pulled an 8X20 to Spyderfest. We have two RTs so we needed something with space. Ours is a V nose. I wouldn't have anything with a flat nose. Running a 2004 Silverado with a 5.4 we got 10 mpg going out and 10.5 coming back. Had some pretty good mountains to go over. Here's the kicker. Friends hauled her Spyder and his road King in 7X18 enclosed. His F150 with 5.3 got 8.5 mpg. The enclosed works good. It's your call.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bruiser View Post
    Agree with bullant12 on fuel. We pulled an 8X20 to Spyderfest. We have two RTs so we needed something with space. Ours is a V nose. I wouldn't have anything with a flat nose. Running a 2004 Silverado with a 5.4 we got 10 mpg going out and 10.5 coming back. Had some pretty good mountains to go over. Here's the kicker. Friends hauled her Spyder and his road King in 7X18 enclosed. His F150 with 5.3 got 8.5 mpg. The enclosed works good. It's your call.
    You got the motors mixed up. Chevy 5.3 and Ford 5.4
    2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS convertible. 2017 GMC Sierra cc diesel. 2017 Arctic cat RR 137 ES

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bruiser View Post
    I was pulling an 8X14 with a 2010 Toyota Tundra 8 cyl. I was lucky 11 mpg's, but the lowest recorded was coming into the mountains at 9.4 mpg. That is when my wife and I decided not to get a trailer!
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Spyder Garage

I have both...I prefer the enclosed trailer.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Enclosed.. too many prying eyes and sticky fingers to risk losing your rig. Then again, a friend of mine lost his entire race setup when thieves jacked his trailer: bike, compressor, tools, race leathers etc.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Enclosed is the only way to go. A lesson I learned from many years of trailering snowmobiles.

The way people obsess over their Spyders, I can't believe anyone would pull a Spyder on an open trailer for any distance.

And keep this in mind about gas mileage. If you don't trailer you still need gas for the Spyder. So you're only paying extra for the difference of the two. I would venture to guess if a person had two Spyders and trailered them the extra cost in gas would be negligible.

The trip to Spyderfest I averaged just over 12 mpg with my F-150 with a 5.0 pulling a 23' trailer. So the extra cost in fuel for the trip was in the neighborhood of 250 bucks, worth every penny. Because as I've said before, for the ride down and back, I was warm and dry. More importantly, the wife was warm and dry.

I know some would say I'm not a real biker. That I already know, I mean I do ride a Spyder.
    Here's To A Great Riding Season, Snowmobile That Is

"​Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt"

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.
    Teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime.
    Give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish"

Spyder Garage

I have an enclosed Wells Cargo Cycle Wagon. Interior is 20' long x 79" wide x 72" tall. Easy to carry your Spyder & Goldwing.

Wells Cargo is a high quality trailer designed for a 20 year life of daily use.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Spyder Garage

We have an open air ride trailer and overall are very happy with it, it has a metal front guard to protect the Spyder from rocks, etc... Easy to tow and load. We had a slight problem with the switch to the compressor but air ride sent out a new one to install. Nothing terrible.
    2013 RS-S Neutron Green/Black, Shark RSR2 helmet, Shark Evoline 3 helmet, Sena SMH20, Corbin Seat, Wheelchair Rack, TricLED fender lights, TricLed Underglow kit (green), Trunk Liner, STL Handlebars, Web Boards Driver Floorboards, backrest, BRP Saddlebags, ISCI Handbrake

Spyder Garage

Default Interstate trailer

We have a 7 x 10 open interstate trailer. It works just fine for us.

Spyder Garage

I prefer an enclosed trailer. This is the one I prefer.

http://ironhorsetrailers.com/

KYSPYDER

Spyder Garage

Default Trailer

I know people can steal anything, but I just sleep better in the motel at night when my Spyder is enclosed. Diesel F-250 pulls it well. 2013 RT LTD with 2000 miles.
    Good Luck!

Ronbo

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARCTIC View Post
    Open trailer:
    Pros ......
    Cost
    Fuel mileage
    Visibility when towing
    You proudly display your spyder when towing

Cons.....
    Protection of your machine and exposure to the elements.
    Limited ability to haul your gear & clothing

Brand...... ALUMA.

ENCLOSED TRAILER :

Pros.....
    Protection of your machine when traveling
    Doubles as storage for your spyder
    lots of ways too hang and haul gear and clothing

Cons....
    Cost
    Fuel mileage
    Visibility when towing

Brand..... ALUMA

just curious, since you are in Iowa, how does Featherlite (Cresco IA) compare with Aluma?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderDen View Post
    just curious, since you are in Iowa, how does Featherlite (Cresco IA) compare with Aluma?
    Featherlite is top notch also. They are very well built but it seems that their forte is the heavier duty trailers for hauling cars. Aluma builds a quality lighter duty enclosed "powersport" trailer.

Spyder Garage

Ever see one of theseResized_20191012_104401.jpg ironhorse trailers? Set up for a trike only weighs 950 pounds - 4 years of warranty.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-16-2019 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Non-vendor Advertising

Spyder Garage

Yes, and VERY pricey for it. Saw a used one just the other day on CL - $5000. I don't have that kind of money. I'll use an open trailer unless I can get a great deal on a used enclosed one.
    2014 RT-S Orange - LED headlights/driving lights, LED under mirror turns, LED brake/run lights along trunk and saddlebags, LED third brake light, LED turn bulb replacements, Magic Mirrors, Voltmeter, Oil PSI gauge, heated gear connection, BRP backrest, dash Mount USB plug, Lamonster belt tensioner, Baja Ron sway bar, NBV highway pegs, BRP arm rests M2 suspension.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Spyder Garage

I had a buddy that pulled a HD across a coupe of states on an open trailer, got pretty bad damage to the aluminum and shiny stuff due to a combination of road grime/debris and rain. He swore off open haulers after that.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

Credit my wife with a good idea that works well for us. We have two RT's which needed a covered place to stay. She suggested we get an enclosed trailer that would serve double duty as a place to store the Spyders in the riding months, and in the winter when we have garage space because she has our van in Arizona for the winter, I bring the Spyders into the garage and the trailer serves as a place where my duck and goose decoys are locked up and easy to access. We have a Haulmark Passport 8 x 20. It gives us plenty of space. I upgraded the cheapo tires to Goodyear Endurance tires immediately.
    GMC Duramax pulls it well.

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARCTIC View Post
    You got the motors mixed up. Chevy 5.3 and Ford 5.4
    OOps I just can't help myself.... Motors are electric and Engines are Gas, Diesel, propane, natural gas, and so on .

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    OOps I just can't help myself.... Motors are electric and Engines are Gas, Diesel, propane, natural gas, and so on .
    and when was that posted?

motor =

NOUN
    a machine, especially one powered by electricity or internal combustion, that supplies motive power for a vehicle or for some other device with moving parts.
    synonyms:
    apparatus · appliance · instrument · tool · utensil · device · unit · contraption · [more]
    ADJECTIVE
    giving, imparting, or producing motion or action.
    "demand is the principle motor force governing economic activity"
    synonyms:
    kinetic · driving · impelling · propelling · propulsive · operative · moving
    BRITISH
    driven by a motor.
    VERB
    travel in a motor vehicle, typically a car or a boat.
    "we motored along a narrow road" · [more]
    synonyms:
    hurtle · speed · career · shoot · streak · sweep · hare · fly · wing · drive

Both trailers (enclosed and open) have there pros and cons I'm still trying to decide what to go with myself.
    Last edited by CopperSpyder; 11-16-2019 at 12:59 PM.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown