Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ga Blue Knight View Post
    This entire issue of dealer competence must become a primary concern for BRP and the Can Am Marketing department or the Spyder line will start to suffer in the new sales arena. I have seen this befor with other motorcycle brands that were great reliable bike but with horrible support. They are no longer with us sad to say.

Spyder Garage

Okay... maybe I'm going to be called crazy for this, but let me play the role of corporate apologist for a moment.

1. BRP marketed the Spyder heavily to novice riders. How many of those novice riders represent the % of loudest complaints?

Meaning, if you had no experience with bikes, and you came to the Spyder thinking, "Hey, it's just like an open-air automobile, it's so easy to ride... I bet that means it doesn't run hot, it's cheap to fix, and I can get service the same day!", you obviously got a rude surprise. The Spyder is NOT a car, it's a motorcycle, and a very unique, high-tech one at that.

It may come as a shock to some, but motorcycles require more maintenance than cars. And the more unique a bike is, the more unique its quirks are.

2. The Spyder is just a baby in the grand scheme of things. How many *decades* has Harley, Honda, BMW and others had to build their bikes? How many *decades* have they had to build dealer networks, supplier networks, experienced independent mechanics, and all the rest? How much has our collective experience with all the others colored our perspective with how BRP is doing it today (or *should* do it)?

To be honest, I'm genuinely shocked BRP has done *this well*, this quickly, with the Spyder. They launched a completely new product line, using technology no one has ever deployed before, and they've managed to support it to, in general, a high level of owner satisfaction. They're not perfect, of course, and we are *obligated* to note where they're not. But they've come a long, long way in the blink of an eye.

3. That all said, I agree that BRP will live and die by its dealer network. Which means that we should all find ways to improve that dealer network. Complaining in a private forum not read by BRP-- and most certainly not read by 99.9% of Spyder dealers out there, as we can all attest to-- isn't doing anything to improve that network.

What *does* improve that network is talking to your dealers, and giving them feedback. Talking to BRP-- *writing* BRP, not just emailing them, to tell them what they're doing wrong (and what they're doing right-- everyone loves deserved praise, after all). Taking positive steps, not just venting. Although, I agree, there's a time and place and need for venting, in the end, posting here at Spyderlovers is the equivalent of talking to yourself. Don't talk to yourself, talk to your dealers, talk to BRP, and make the experience better for yourselves, and the *next* Spyder owner to buy themselves their ride.

Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

There is no better time to have a problem with your spyder than when it is under WARRANTY,,, may cost you agravation but not money, let the dealer sort it out and enjoy it after it is fixed!!

Spyder Garage

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by daveinva View Post
    Okay... maybe I'm going to be called crazy for this, but let me play the role of corporate apologist for a moment.

1. BRP marketed the Spyder heavily to novice riders. How many of those novice riders represent the % of loudest complaints?

Meaning, if you had no experience with bikes, and you came to the Spyder thinking, "Hey, it's just like an open-air automobile, it's so easy to ride... I bet that means it doesn't run hot, it's cheap to fix, and I can get service the same day!", you obviously got a rude surprise. The Spyder is NOT a car, it's a motorcycle, and a very unique, high-tech one at that.

It may come as a shock to some, but motorcycles require more maintenance than cars. And the more unique a bike is, the more unique its quirks are.

2. The Spyder is just a baby in the grand scheme of things. How many *decades* has Harley, Honda, BMW and others had to build their bikes? How many *decades* have they had to build dealer networks, supplier networks, experienced independent mechanics, and all the rest? How much has our collective experience with all the others colored our perspective with how BRP is doing it today (or *should* do it)?

To be honest, I'm genuinely shocked BRP has done *this well*, this quickly, with the Spyder. They launched a completely new product line, using technology no one has ever deployed before, and they've managed to support it to, in general, a high level of owner satisfaction. They're not perfect, of course, and we are *obligated* to note where they're not. But they've come a long, long way in the blink of an eye.

3. That all said, I agree that BRP will live and die by its dealer network. Which means that we should all find ways to improve that dealer network. Complaining in a private forum not read by BRP-- and most certainly not read by 99.9% of Spyder dealers out there, as we can all attest to-- isn't doing anything to improve that network.

What *does* improve that network is talking to your dealers, and giving them feedback. Talking to BRP-- *writing* BRP, not just emailing them, to tell them what they're doing wrong (and what they're doing right-- everyone loves deserved praise, after all). Taking positive steps, not just venting. Although, I agree, there's a time and place and need for venting, in the end, posting here at Spyderlovers is the equivalent of talking to yourself. Don't talk to yourself, talk to your dealers, talk to BRP, and make the experience better for yourselves, and the *next* Spyder owner to buy themselves their ride.

If you're found crazy for thinking this way. You're welcome to the room across from me. I'm told it has better padding

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Exclamation

" The problem now is that after buying my RT I developed cancer am in the fight for my life. I don't have the time, money, or energy anymore to keep putting up with the problems this machine has been causing me. I'm not looking for any sympathy, pats on the back, or anything else. What I am looking for are trouble-free days where I can get on the road and enjoy what time I have left on a machine that is supposed to be fun to ride and own. My RT Spyder has been anything but enjoyable and trouble-free. "

BRP - ANYONE WHO HAS INROADS WITH BRP.

Are you listening?......are you asking someone to listen?

Hope so!

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Edsts View Post
    Thanks guys for some support . Like many said on here it was just venting . Most if not all of my question are answered on thus forum . As far as the foul language all I have to say is I can show 8 different post of some worse language at the end of the day I do listen to the more experience spider owners . Dealing with a new dealer now and also getting my more experience friends involved .

The Spyder will be going to the fiancée next season by then I will make sure all the inks are worked out .

Will keep moving forward
    Thanks guys !
    Welcome back OP. As you can see, there are some very passionate people on the SL site.

I for one am glad to see that you have taken the to another dealer. Also hoping they get your issues solved and that you can move on to a great experience.

This next step will help determine if you had a bad dealer mechanic, or a bad .
    I am guessing it will be the former. Please keep us posted on the outcome.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Edsts View Post
    Thanks guys for some support . Like many said on here it was just venting . Most if not all of my question are answered on thus forum . As far as the foul language all I have to say is I can show 8 different post of some worse language at the end of the day I do listen to the more experience spider owners . Dealing with a new dealer now and also getting my more experience friends involved .

The Spyder will be going to the fiancée next season by then I will make sure all the inks are worked out .

Will keep moving forward
    Thanks guys !
    I wasn't go to respond to this; but, I couldn't let it go. Did I misread your original post before it was edited. I thought you used the 'f' word (although misspelled to get under the radar) and the same for the 's' word comparable to crap? If I did get you mixed up with someone else, I apologize. I haven't seen those eight posts you mentioned; could you p.m. those links? I'm curious. I'm not asking to have you post them here. I'm the only one that's curious.

In any case, I do hope you get your spyder fixed to your satisfaction.

Spyder Garage

Default I also regret buying

I also regret buying a can spyder, after the first vist to a dealer and no support from BRP, i decide to do all my own maintance. i have purchased most of the tools, the service books and spare parts including a extra motor, i have gotten most of my information off of spyder lovers of problems with the can am and made corrections to mine, I will be selling mine this year. 2008 PE#301

The members of spyderlovers has done so much R/D for BRP that they should provide spyder riders the
    best service & parts net work out there.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=DaveNur;634567] The problem now is that after buying my RT I developed cancer am in the fight for my life. I don't have the time, money, or energy anymore to keep putting up with the problems this machine has been causing me. QUOTE]
    Dave,
    I'm sorry to hear that; our thoughts and prayers go out to you and yours!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DaveNur View Post
    Not once did I have a problem with one of those bikes - - even the brand new models - - from the day I bought one.
    Oh, you're the one? My friend with the lemon 1979 CB500 told me about you. Or was it the guy down my block with the broken-down Goldwing? I forget which.

We can all talk our own personal experiences until we're long in the tooth. Unfortunately, the plural of anecdote is not data.

But you know who does collect data? Companies that manufacture motorcycles. Which is why my recommendation to all was to direct complaints to BRP, and not just an anonymous online forum. Either BRP will use that data to improve the Spyder to your satisfaction, or they won't, and in that event you'll hopefully be happier with a different product.

I wish you the best of luck (and much better health in the future-- cancer sucks)
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Spyder Garage

Default Delete

This is the kind of thread that I'd like to see Lamont come in on and deeeeeee-lete! It's not constructive, doesn't support the community and offers mostly heat ... very little light. There are honest questions and concerns across many threads, but blowing off and defaming what 10s of thousands of people own ... wrong. "Clicks" in shocks? Doubtful. Clicks in brake rotors/calipers? Maybe.

If ya don't like the machine, that's cool. Buy something else. 2010 Spyder RT-S, mods to my definition of perfection. Mine was a PE too ... # 391. Now she has almost 20K miles. The '10s were the first of the RT series, had feeble front shocks and needed some tweaks. We all worked through it and mostly asked questions and learned answers instead of throwing Can-Am under the bus.

If you don't like your dealer, find another one (I did). Best service I've ever had. I found a dealer with a big Can-Am presence, not a sideline. The Spyder ST series is a beautiful machine. The Rotax engine is used in aircraft, for goodness sake. Anything that is has the reputation and reliability to carry people aloft wins in my book. Bosch electronics ... same can bus as on BMWs.

Spyder Garage

Default Re: Regret buying this piece so crap !

My 12' RSS runs like champ, haven't had any issues. And I have allot of mods

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Tapatalk 2

Spyder Garage

I understand your frustration and am glad you posted. The only reason there is a lemon law for cars is that people spoke out. There should be a lemon law for all expensive products. Too bad some want to shoot the messenger. We have had no problems so far with our 2013 RT SE5 and hope you get your problems resolved.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SilverSurfer View Post
    This is the kind of thread that I'd like to see Lamont come in on and deeeeeee-lete! It's not constructive, doesn't support the community and offers mostly heat ... very little light. There are honest questions and concerns across many threads, but blowing off and defaming what 10s of thousands of people own ... wrong. "Clicks" in shocks? Doubtful. Clicks in brake rotors/calipers? Maybe.

If ya don't like the machine, that's cool. Buy something else. 2010 Spyder RT-S, mods to my definition of perfection. Mine was a PE too ... # 391. Now she has almost 20K miles. The '10s were the first of the RT series, had feeble front shocks and needed some tweaks. We all worked through it and mostly asked questions and learned answers instead of throwing Can-Am under the bus.

If you don't like your dealer, find another one (I did). Best service I've ever had. I found a dealer with a big Can-Am presence, not a sideline. The Spyder ST series is a beautiful machine. The Rotax engine is used in aircraft, for goodness sake. Anything that is has the reputation and reliability to carry people aloft wins in my book. Bosch electronics ... same can bus as on BMWs.
    I for one am happy Lamont let this thread go on. Let owners speak thier experiences, good AND bad. If you dont want to read it, please skip over it and read something else.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dave01 View Post
    I for one am happy Lamont let this thread go on. Let owners speak thier experiences, good AND bad. If you dont want to read it, please skip over it and read something else.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Even though the content and presentation is upsetting; it shows that there's room for everybody and their opinions in here.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Even though the content and presentation is upsetting; it shows that there's room for everybody and their opinions in here.
    +1

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Spyder Garage

I like ice cream...
    Phil

I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands.

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by flaggerphil View Post
    I like ice cream...
    Bluebell vanilla and strawberries. Yummmm

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ga Blue Knight View Post
    This entire issue of dealer competence must become a primary concern for BRP and the Can Am Marketing department or the Spyder line will start to suffer in the new sales arena.
    After spending a many weeks here reading both positive and negative posts and PMs(doing my homework), I come to the following conclusion: It absolutely makes no sense for me to go from my very low mileage '09 GW Trike to a '13 Limited. My reasoing:
    a. there is at least a 50/50 chance of getting a 2013 RT-Limited with issues, of one kind or another. Seems like many RT owners prefer the 2012.
    b. I have NO local dealer. The dealer in my state with the BEST reputation for both sales and service is 2 hours away by freeway. Expansion of a competent dealer network should be a BRP priority, as GaBK alluded too.
    c. Seems like owners spend a signifigant amount of coin adding farkles that should be included as standard equipment, especially on a Limited branded model.
    d. An average of 27-30 MPG for a touring machine is just too low. I know there are some that report 33-35 MPG; but they are a minority. Not to mention the preference for mid grade or premium fuel.
    e. PMs telling me "Don't Do It", or "You Pay the Money, You Take the Chances" are not confidence inspiring that either BRP or the majority of dealers don't know what's it takes to build or service a reliable $30K trike.
    I had really hoped that my desire to evolve to a RT-S SE5 or Limited would have come to a different conclusion. I am developing treatment neccessary OA in my thumbs(L>R) after 40 years of work. It sure would have been nice not to have to clutch and brake with my hands. This riding season will be a water shed year for me.. I will continue to monitor this great forum to see "if the wind changes".
    Mike

Very Active Member MidLifeCrisis's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Regret buying this piece so crap !

Hi Mike,

There's no way the RTs are a 50/50 gamble. The ratio of good machines to problem ones is much higher than that. There are thousands of registered SL members and only few real lemons. There are some real misses with regards to some issues. The RT turn signal switch is definitely high on the list of misses.

Not sure what farkles you are referring to, but I'm guessing the SpyderPops block off plates are on your list. They are required for anyone riding in the heat, but a cheap fix. There are far more farkles available for the GW and there's tons of complaints about them and heat as well.

Can't comment on the dealer in your area, but if they are trusted and reliable, you'll likely drive off with a fine machine.

Not sure if people are more or less satisfied with 2012s, then the 13s. There are far more customizations available for pre 13 models and people tend to like their customizations. There were some nice changes made for the 13s, but seem to have added limitations as well.

Your gas mileage observations are definitely correct. There's just too much tire touching the ground and too much wind resistance for the machine to get into the 40mpg range. The design IS what makes them a Spyder. Bigger engines or another gear could improve their mileage, but that'll likely come at the cost of something else.

If you requested PMs from folks with issues, then there's no surprise you received a flurry of horror stories. It's just human nature to tell everyone about bad experiences. In the end, you have to love what you ride and the Spyder is definitely not for everyone. The Honda is a great machine. I may be able to talk my wife into one of those sone day too.

Thumbs up to your due diligence and research.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

coffee ice cream, or coffee & peanut butter!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

coffee ice cream

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Not sure what farkles you are referring to, but I'm guessing the SpyderPops block off plates are on your list.
    Block off plates, bump skid, HMT, CB, Heated Seat, to name a few

If you requested PMs from folks with issues. I didn't request. I started a thread "Thinking about trading my GW for a Limited" and these were in the replies.

Thumbs up to your due diligence and research.
    Unlike 90% of Americans, I'm not an impulsive buyer when it come to the big bucks. This is also how I found out that the 2 closer dealers(35 and 60 miles) are like many complained about here for gauging and incompetency. The good one is just over 2 hours away. That works out to a a big inconvenience.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD[/QUOTE]
    Appreciate you support in my search. I will continue on with it as my wife thinks an SE5 is better for my hands. I told her theoretically, yes; but the reality/execution may be a different story.

Spyder Garage

32,000 happy miles on my 2011 RT. Find a good dealer and keep smiling Ed. Good luck!
    Bill H.