Spyder Garage

Default ADDED SOME OIL, NOW NO DIAGNOSTICS???

Sooooo Spydie was low on oil (checked it BEFORE a ride). Oil was added a little at a time to a warm engine as per CanAm instructions. When I got to an acceptable level, I pulled her out of the garage and turned it off while we got ready for a ride. When I then hopped on and turned the key to run diagnostics as part of startup NOTHING! Battery is ok? Oil and diagnostics may not be related....... Anyone have any advice? Cant start it to get it to the dealer - would like to avoid the cost of a tow

Let's Roll

Ride Forrest Ride!
    Spyder Garage

Is your kill switch on ? You know the red rocker button.

Spyder Garage

Try taking the key 30 or more feet away from the Spyder for several minutes.
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

Apply foot brake.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Are you saying there is no indication of any electrical power? No screen lighting-up? No lights and etc?

Filling your oil is not likely the cause. If no indication of power... it may be as simple as your battery terminal connections finally jiggled loose. (Very common).

Keep us informed... even if it is as simple as a mistake by you. (Everyone has had their embarrassing moments to share!)

SL #7026
    VBA #652
    HOG #3935417
    2011 Viper-Red Spyder RT SE5 & Trailer
    2017 HD Ultra Limited
    Former Rides: 2014 HD Ultra Limited; '04 Kawa Nomad; '09 HD Ultra-Classic; and many Hondas through the years.
    Spyder Newbies Do's & Do Not's: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

Spyder Garage

Embarrasing moments indeed, even when you know better. Take a deep breath and think of the "simple fix".

Spyder Garage

If you restart within a short while (5 minutes?) you will not get any startup screen, just the normal display allowing you to restart without the mode button. Basically it is a quick restart function. Is that what you are saying? If so, wait a while and it should start the way you are used to.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by effgjamis View Post
    Is your kill switch on ? You know the red rocker button.
    Kill switch is in RUN position

Let's Roll

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Illinois Boy View Post
    Are you saying there is no indication of any electrical power? No screen lighting-up? No lights and etc?

Filling your oil is not likely the cause. If no indication of power... it may be as simple as your battery terminal connections finally jiggled loose. (Very common).

Keep us informed... even if it is as simple as a mistake by you. (Everyone has had their embarrassing moments to share!)

Will check the terminal connections and hopefully that is the problem. I put a battery charger on it late last night and it shows 0 voltage and it will not take a charge! Recently when starting Spydie up she'd go through prelim diagnostics, ask to hit the MODE button, and then I'd start it. But, as soon as the START button was pressed, the engine would fire and it would run prelim diagnostics again and ask to hit the MODE button, even though she was already running. When I hit the MODE button the second time everything appeared to be ok and she ran great. Gotta clue on that? Any advice is appreciated

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MotownCruiser View Post
    Will check the terminal connections and hopefully that is the problem. I put a battery charger on it late last night and it shows 0 voltage and it will not take a charge! Recently when starting Spydie up she'd go through prelim diagnostics, ask to hit the MODE button, and then I'd start it. But, as soon as the START button was pressed, the engine would fire and it would run prelim diagnostics again and ask to hit the MODE button, even though she was already running. When I hit the MODE button the second time everything appeared to be ok and she ran great. Gotta clue on that? Any advice is appreciated
    Check your fuses and relays, and might want to check your terminals again. That is also an indicator that the battery is not fully charged. If the charger says it is but it keeps giving the issue, you might want to start looking at new a new battery.
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Spyder Garage

Default battery

2010 RTSS
    Your problem sounds identical to the one I'm having , same symptoms .Once mine reached the point you're at , it failed all together and needed hauled to the dealer. I'm hoping to get results on what they find on mine tomorrow .Mine did this with a brand new fully charged battery . Please post again if you find anything causing the problem.

Spyder Garage

ok its official, my battery is toast the fact that it decided to die just after adding oil is coincidental. I had a battery charger on her all night at a 2 amp setting and it will not hold a charge. Is it hard to change out the battery? Looks like three panels need to come off..........

Let's Roll

Spyder Garage

ok its official, my battery is toast the fact that it decided to die just after adding oil is coincidental. I had a battery charger on her all night at a 2 amp setting and it will not hold a charge. Is it hard to change out the battery? Looks like three panels need to come off..........
    Your battery may be toast, but it sounds as though something else may have toasted it. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    Are you using the 2amp setting as a "tender"?

Because if you are that might just be the Butler in your little battery drama.

OK, obtuse.
    A more or less constant 2 amp charge would kill your battery.
    Full disclosure:Others disagree.

I winter it with a battery TENDER and have been out on her several times this spring without incident. However, last night I left a 2 amp CHARGER on it overnight. That may have been the kiss of death? When I went to bed it had gone from 4% to 47% and when I looked at it this morning it was 0% TOAST!

Spyder Garage

Default IPOD???

I've had an IPOD connected in the rear trunk - would that drain the battery???

Spyder Garage

I've had an IPOD connected in the rear trunk - would that drain the battery???
    Mine never has.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Talking

Never a problem with mine. When on the road I keep it plugged in to recharge while in play mode, and when the bike is shut down too.
    Last edited by Jeriatric; 06-04-2013 at 04:07 PM.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks To All :)

Thanks to everyone for their input on this. Right now my game plan is to drop in a new battery and then get it to the dealer so their computer can run some more thorough diagnostics. I have owned it for 2 years now and the warranty ran out about six weeks ago Mileage is still low ~6700 but we'll see what happens!
    ~Bob

Let's Roll

La Grande, Oregon "In The Blue Mountains, On The Oregon Trail"
    Spyder Garage

Default Zebras In Oregon.....

........can be found at the Wildlife Safari, near Winston! HA! <M>
    2012 RT/S

Spyder Garage

Default The Final Word

Problem appears to have been battery so keep you fingers crossed for me. The original YUSA battery was most likely toast and simply needed replaced. It was easy enough to drop in the new battery, just tedious! I went with an Odyssey PC680 for a replacement as it seems to have a good review within SpyderLovers. I'll just have to wait and see what happens!

Let's Roll

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Wonder how long the 2010's batter will last? Mine seems to be fine but should we replace them just in case? I keep check on the terminals at the battery (yes they have been loose when I checked them on a couple of occasions). I am sure I averted problems by tightening them. I feel by doing this and using a tender on a regular basis it should last maximum time whatever that time is.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by StanProff View Post
    Wonder how long the 2010's batter will last? Mine seems to be fine but should we replace them just in case? I keep check on the terminals at the battery (yes they have been loose when I checked them on a couple of occasions). I am sure I averted problems by tightening them. I feel by doing this and using a tender on a regular basis it should last maximum time whatever that time is.
    Put a star washer on the battery terminals and they won't loosen again, Mine were lose at 5 hundred miles back in 08 , Never loosen again. 19 thousand miles..