Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by r1100rider View Post
    i got to thinking if that works so would triggering the lites with the handlebar sw and then hitting the starter tried it and it works
    I tried that and it didn't work on mine. Pulled the trigger, waited 30 or so seconds for the lights to warm up and continued to hold the trigger while pushing the start button and no luck
    2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS convertible. 2017 GMC Sierra cc diesel. 2017 Arctic cat RR 137 ES

Spyder Garage

Ok.... Here's a list of what I've done (all I can remember)

• Tried moving ground
    • tried running with just one light at a time
    • unmounted the balasts and had them OUTSIDE of the plastic and separated from one another and placed in MANY different places within wiring reach of the headlamps
    • tried switching the polarity of the hookups at the headlights.
    • Experimented with different ground hooks
    • the hot wire is routed directly to the battery. AS is the ground for most of the tests.
    • wrapped the balasts in tinfoil
    • had the lights on and warmed up before starting.
    • had the bike running and then fired up the lights
    • had jumper cables ran to my 3/4 ton diesel truck with dual alternators and dual batteries while it was running. tried different timing of engine starts vs light starts and different positions of the balasts.

My final analysis is.......... IT WON'T WORK WITH THESE DAMN LIGHTS

I'm going to quit and patiently wait for my high powered halogen lights while I still have a functioning starter on my Spyder.
    2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS convertible. 2017 GMC Sierra cc diesel. 2017 Arctic cat RR 137 ES

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARCTIC View Post
    My final analysis is.......... IT WON'T WORK WITH THESE DAMN LIGHTS

I'm going to quit and patiently wait for my high powered halogen lights while I still have a functioning starter on my Spyder.

Believe me....I totally feel your pain...

Spyder Garage

KBcarstuff and xenon depot they are not the same
    you said I bought the HID lighting kit from Xenon Depot
    i don't know if they have the same quality of ballast ?
    Spyder RT LTD 2018 SE6 ASPHALT GREY METALLIC - DARK EDITION( Wife)
    Spyder F3T 2016 LTD Black Special Édition
    French Spyder Forum
    SpyderTeam Rive-Sud MTL

Facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/spyderteam/
    Twitter
    https://twitter.com/SpyderTeam_ca

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by va2djd View Post
    KBcarstuff and xenon depot they are not the same
    you said I bought the HID lighting kit from Xenon Depot
    i don't know if they have the same quality of ballast ?
    They are the same. Xenon Depot is sold through KBcarstuff.com Everything the user on here named "xenondepot" sells goes through the site KBcarstuff.com. I think (not sure) that the xenon depot is their store branded collection of HID lighting kits. Kinda like craftsman tools sold through sears. Type in www.xenondepot.com on your web browser and see where it takes you. I do not see anywhere on their website where they sell anything but xenon depot labeled HID kits. John and Danny are the two that I have spoke with at KBcarstuff. For clarification, my kit is the xtreme kit which is supposed to have the higher quality components.
    Last edited by ARCTIC; 06-08-2013 at 05:16 PM.

Spyder Garage

Well,
    KB is advising me to try eliminating the relay and power the system directly from the headlight wires because they think that my issue could be from not having a load on the headlight power wires. They never mentioned this in my initial call. I already have the whole thing uninstalled and boxed up. I MIGHT try to unplug the headlights to test their theory. Does anyone know if this is a possibility?

Spyder Garage

It will run without the relay's in there BUT.... Won't start when you have the headlights on. So if you start it, turn the key off and then back on it will keep the headlights on and won't start. It's very strange. It kicks out the starter.

Spyder Garage

Mind are install without the realay on head and fog and no problem with nanny
    Spyder RT LTD 2018 SE6 ASPHALT GREY METALLIC - DARK EDITION( Wife)
    Spyder F3T 2016 LTD Black Special Édition
    French Spyder Forum
    SpyderTeam Rive-Sud MTL

Facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/spyderteam/
    Twitter
    https://twitter.com/SpyderTeam_ca

Spyder Garage

The fawking thing still does weird chit with the lights. Sometimes the high/low shutter flickers rapidly and the engine sputters.

Spyder Garage

Have you checked your battery condition and connections? It sounds like a bad battery may be aggravating the issue.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Have you checked your battery condition and connections? It sounds like a bad battery may be aggravating the issue.

I guess I haven't gone back to hooking jumper cables up to the truck without the relay's

Spyder Garage

Ok, I stuck with it and ruled out EVERY POSSIBLE scenario. Tried it with the jumper cables hooked up and It still does weird stuff. Sometimes it takes 2 or three attempts to start the bike. Sometimes it starts and runs but kinda sputters before it pulls through. I'm quitting on them. The PIAA bulbs are nearly indistinguishable between them and stock. Not worth spending any money for the swap. I'm back to pretty much stock but it'll start and run everytime I push the button. I would consider offers on the HID lighting kit if anyone out there wants to give it a try

Spyder Garage

Ok, I stuck with it and ruled out EVERY POSSIBLE scenario. Tried it with the jumper cables hooked up and It still does weird stuff. Sometimes it takes 2 or three attempts to start the bike. Sometimes it starts and runs but kinda sputters before it pulls through. I'm quitting on them. The PIAA bulbs are nearly indistinguishable between them and stock. Not worth spending any money for the swap. I'm back to pretty much stock but it'll start and run everytime I push the button. I would consider offers on the HID lighting kit if anyone out there wants to give it a try
    Seems pretty clear that the Xenon Depot type hids are the problem.... Are you not getting any help from them on resolving this?
    They are a sponsor but when I had an issue with their fog light kit they were scarce and not at all helpful. Some sponsors are lots better than others and many will jump at the chance to resolve a problem like this...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cjackg View Post
    Seems pretty clear that the Xenon Depot type hids are the problem.... Are you not getting any help from them on resolving this?
    They are a sponsor but when I had an issue with their fog light kit they were scarce and not at all helpful. Some sponsors are lots better than others and many will jump at the chance to resolve a problem like this...
    I calmly discussed it with them a couple times on the phone. On the first call they told me that Danny would look at my thread on here and try and troubleshoot and respond. I've seen no response. They are pretty much calling it a freak deal. I'm on my own because they have been installed. They offered to sell me bulbs at cost for another application if I wanted to put them on another vehicle... I've done nothing wrong but I'm picking up the tab. I'm not real impressed

To qualify my abilities so you don't think I'm some sort of a dumbazz.... I've installed multiple high powered car stereos and boat stereo systems, wired and rewired many trailers. Rebuilt and installed snowmobile motors. Worked in the service department at car dealerships all through high school and college.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I bought the HID lighting kit from Xenon Depot. Spent an insane amount of time getting the spyder tore down and carefully routing wires and securing all wires from harms way. Tested the lights and they fire up with the trigger switch on the right handlebar PERFECT... Tried starting the spyder and it fires for 5 seconds then kills the motor and the display says " VSS fault" and "check DPS". I cannot get the spyder to run with the headlights connected. If I pull the fuse it will start and most times have a very high idle and other times run just fine. If it pull the fuse for the headlights and start it and then push the fuse in while it's running.... sometimes it revs the engine up and won't idle back down and other times it kills the engine instantly. Anybody got any ideas???? Frustrated doesn't even begin to describe my HID venture
    This same exact situation is happening to me. I am finished hooking everything up on my 2011 RS (headlights and foglights), but when I try to start the bike, it goes straight to VSS fault. I contacted John from Xenon Depot and he told me I needed to purchase the inline capacitor they sell to fix the problem (CBFIX). I am skeptical about this working, but I am going to try. This has been frustrating to say the least.

Spyder Garage

OK.....................you've convinced me. LED lights from Custom Dynamics it is!

2018 F3 S, BRP SS Grill, Spoiler, Attitude Bars, #1 linkage kit, Chopped R Fender, TBR S1R slip On exhaust, Elka Stage 2 R Shock, Shad saddlebags

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mavericklion79 View Post
    This same exact situation is happening to me. I am finished hooking everything up on my 2011 RS (headlights and foglights), but when I try to start the bike, it goes straight to VSS fault. I contacted John from Xenon Depot and he told me I needed to purchase the inline capacitor they sell to fix the problem (CBFIX). I am skeptical about this working, but I am going to try. This has been frustrating to say the least.
    If you end up deciding to give up on the aftermarket ones.. I have a factory can-am kit for sale $340 the bike will run perfectly with the factory kit and replaces the whole light fixture with nicely sealed housings that are designed for the HID lights

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flanker View Post
    OK.....................you've convinced me. LED lights from Custom Dynamics it is!
    How does led compare to HID?

Spyder Garage

LEDs have a low voltage/current draw (compared to HIDs or halogens), run much cooler, don't have any ballasts to with, and put out an intense blue/white light. Might be cheaper than an HID kit too; though I'm not sure on that point as I haven't researched any HID kits. I would also note; from reading other forum threads here, there seems to be a huge qualitative and ease of installation/operation difference in HID kits.........some have reported excellent experiences with a particular brand of HID kit [of course I can't remember which brand it is ]. This parallels what I've read about various HID kits in the car forums I'm a member of also.

customdynamics.com go to their Spyder section.....................they've got tons of useful (and the other kind too) LED upgrades. Turn your ride into a veritable road bound UFO!

BTW: Despite my initial post; I am sorry to hear you've had such an aggravating time with the HID kit; like that can really ruin your day in a hurry; especially considering the expense, and time and effort trying to trouble shoot intractable technical issues. good luck!

2018 F3 S, BRP SS Grill, Spoiler, Attitude Bars, #1 linkage kit, Chopped R Fender, TBR S1R slip On exhaust, Elka Stage 2 R Shock, Shad saddlebags

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flanker View Post
    LEDs have a low voltage/current draw (compared to HIDs or halogens), run much cooler, don't have any ballasts to with, and put out an intense blue/white light. Might be cheaper than an HID kit too; though I'm not sure on that point as I haven't researched any HID kits. I would also note; from reading other forum threads here, there seems to be a huge qualitative and ease of installation/operation difference in HID kits.........some have reported excellent experiences with a particular brand of HID kit [of course I can't remember which brand it is ]. This parallels what I've read about various HID kits in the car forums I'm a member of also.

customdynamics.com go to their Spyder section.....................they've got tons of useful (and the other kind too) LED upgrades. Turn your ride into a veritable road bound UFO!

BTW: Despite my initial post; I am sorry to hear you've had such an aggravating time with the HID kit; like that can really ruin your day in a hurry; especially considering the expense, and time and effort trying to trouble shoot intractable technical issues. good luck!
    This is an old post someone dug up. Since starting this post, I gave up on trying to make the Xenon Depot HID lights work and bought a CAN-AM HID kit which worked perfectly for me until I traded my RS (it's actually a GS) for a ST Limited. I had only used the kit for 2 months so I switched the bike back to stock before trading it in. And it won't work on my new bike.
    Not sure If I'm going to mess with my ST headlights or not. They are better in stock form than the RS was but the HID kit was SOOOOOOO DAMN NICE.

Spyder Garage

Default HID

when it comes to HID's , nothing beats the quality and durability with great customer support ....that would be ......RETRO- SOLUTIONS for all of your needs (bike, car, truck). have used them many years with awesome
    support and have NOT had any issues related to my spyder YET! I have tried other brands and had bad experience with them. ooh and your wasting your money by going with LED's not the same light output!
    '' RIDE -WINE - DINE LIKE ITS YOUR LAST DAY- SO MAKE IT COUNT DAILY''
    2013 ram 1500 RT HEMI 405 Hp
    2012 spyder RT + cat-bypass, mod muffler, PCV + auto tune, HID headlight n foggers, seal floorboards, LED's every where, supercharged ..not!
    2012 Fiat c500 conv.