Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default First oil change under my belt

I did the first oil change on my own( 2012 RT SE5) and I'm very happy with the results it took longer then i thought but I had allowed extra time so no problem. Watching for any leaks like a hawk. I bought the oil and filter kit from the dealer (reasonably priced ) the kit came with and new cover for the front filter same depth and size as the original is that standard and if so why?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Good job. Your bike probably had the new cover on it.. Check with Bajaron for filters for your next oil change.

Spyder Garage

Is it normal for the dealer to install the new filter and cover at the 600 mile service?
    The last service (600 mi)on ours was done in oct of 2011.Was the revision out then?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

October 2011?; you might still have the old parts...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder4Tess View Post
    Is it normal for the dealer to install the new filter and cover at the 600 mile service?
    The last service (600 mi)on ours was done in oct of 2011.Was the revision out then?
    all ready had the 600 mile the was the first one I did on my own and at 3600 miles and the kit had the cover in it.

Spyder Garage

Default Great..!!

now that you have conquered oil and filters (2) o-rings and crush washers, you can move on to bigger and better things. Good job..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

First of meany oil changes to come.
    may be I should do it my self as the cost is between $300-$400 New Zealand could save some money every 5000K's
    next is at 17500 I am at 17210 now.
    Last edited by 8 legs nz; 06-03-2013 at 12:00 AM.

Spyder Garage

I thought the BajaRon filters will not fit the longer extended change interval caps. It this correct?

What is the change interval with BajaRon filters and what is the cost compared to OEM?
    2015 an Am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Yamaha WR250R - Sold
    2011 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited - Sold
    2011 Aspen Sentry Trailer
    2003 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2007 Unigo Trailer - Sold
    2001 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2001 Honda 750 NightHawk - sold
    2015 RT Ltd , Canamspyderaccessories Brake pedal ext. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bmwlarry View Post
    I thought the BajaRon filters will not fit the longer extended change interval caps. It this correct?

What is the change interval with BajaRon filters and what is the cost compared to OEM?
    The 'New' engine oil filter is the same filter with screen inside and outside to cure issues that the original filters had. All aftermarket filters already came with these features so there was no need for any changes to the HIFlo filters I sell or the other alternatives.

No one but BRP makes the longer filters for the SE5 transmission so if you go that route you will have to get your transmission filters from BRP.

None of the aftermarket transmission filters suffered any of the issues that the original BRP filters had so none of the aftermarket producers are interested in making this new dimension transmission filter. I suggest you keep the original transmission cap so that you leave your options open.

You can check my pricing by clicking on my banner ad on the Home Page here at Spyderlovers.

I run Amsoil at about 6000 mile intervals (6,400 miles at last change) and have my oil tested. It has come out well above minimum specs each time and I could have run it longer. I don't suggest extending your oil changes beyond what BRP recommends if you are not using a true synthetic, Group IV, ester based oil.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Between Fort Worth and Wichita Falls Texas
    Spyder Garage

Our dealer claims they had to rebuild a Suzuki clutch that had AMSOIL in it but sat for a long time. If it's true there must be something more to it like oil that was in there for 10,000 miles and then left to sit there or something like that. That or he just wanted to sell the BRP oil which could be too. I use AMSOIL in my Harley but not in the transmission so I have no knowledge of how it works with wet clutches and since our Syder is sorta new we just stayed with BRP oil. But I hope somewhere along the line my wife let's me put AMSOIL in her baby. But until then......
    Do things like your life depends on it. It COULD!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    The 'New' engine oil filter is the same filter with screen inside and outside to cure issues that the original filters had. All aftermarket filters already came with these features so there was no need for any changes to the HIFlo filters I sell or the other alternatives.

No one but BRP makes the longer filters for the SE5 transmission so if you go that route you will have to get your transmission filters from BRP.

None of the aftermarket transmission filters suffered any of the issues that the original BRP filters had so none of the aftermarket producers are interested in making this new dimension transmission filter. I suggest you keep the original transmission cap so that you leave your options open.

You can check my pricing by clicking on my banner ad on the Home Page here at Spyderlovers.

I run Amsoil at about 6000 mile intervals (6,400 miles at last change) and have my oil tested. It has come out well above minimum specs each time and I could have run it longer. I don't suggest extending your oil changes beyond what BRP recommends if you are not using a true synthetic, Group IV, ester based oil.
    My question is why did they give me a new cover,cap for the front outer most filter ( honestly I'm not sure which filter it is) it's the same size as the one I took off to change the filter does that bolt on cap have a usage life or did the dealer sell me something I didn't need

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post

While I'm asking questions when I got the filter kit and oil from the dealer I asked for the full synthetic oil they said that the full synth caused the clutch to slip? THis is on my 2012 RTS SE5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oe3spyderguy View Post
    While I'm asking questions when I got the filter kit and oil from the dealer I asked for the full synthetic oil they said that the full synth caused the clutch to slip? THis is on my 2012 RTS SE5
    All depends on what brand,type of syn.
    Some are for engines and others are for engine and wet clutch applications.There are additives for the clutch.

I'm new to Spyders,but isnt the BRP syn. oil a full synthetic for engine and wet clutch?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder4Tess View Post
    All depends on what brand,type of syn.
    Some are for engines and others are for engine and wet clutch applications.There are additives for the clutch.

I'm new to Spyders,but isnt the BRP syn. oil a full synthetic for engine and wet clutch?
    the dealer told me with the xps use the blend