Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Riding Jackets in the Summer

2 part question:

1)I know the answer is "absolutley everytime", but how many of you RT riders ride with a mesh jacket in the Summer?
    it gets really hot here as I am sure all are aware, but this is for protection so I am trying to find one with a lot of cooling.

2) What mesh jackets are the coolest and most comfortable for a chunky Texan?

I saw the FLY Cool Pro which is Really reasonable on Revzilla but cant try it on. Price is great though

thanks

Spyder Garage

This is a judgement call.

You wear what makes you comfy. However, if you are ATGATT (All The Gear All The Time) user, you will wear a mesh jacket for protection. Again, this is a judgement call and you will learn during the process. However, this is my judgement: when going on short rYdes (run errands around town) and not on the interstate, I go shorts, short sleave t-shirt and tennis shoes. If I go on a day rYde, I'll switch the shorts and shoes to jeans and riding boots AND take a mesh jacket if I have to take the interstate for some reason.

Many companies offer good mesh gear, with big sizes to choose from. Revzilla will let you swap out gear at no additional costs within 30 days. Good luck!

Cycle Gear is a reputable chain store for bikers. It has a good selection of jackets.
    Last edited by bullant12; 05-30-2013 at 09:54 AM.
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Spyder Garage

I wear the tornado mesh jacket from Revitt, purchased from Revzilla. I think like most mesh, as long as your moving its fine, sitting in traffic will be hot.

I wouldnt say the Revitt is for you, its a european cut. But whats nice about revzilla is you can order it, try it on and send it back if it doesnt fit. You pay shipping....one way.
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Spyder Smyles's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

As accidents can happen at anytime I am a firm believer in wearing a helmet, jacket, gloves, long pants, and boots whenever I am on a bike. I use a mesh Joe Rocket or Tour master jacket with a light lose shirt under it. If it is extremely hot I wet down the shirt under the jacket and it acts like a cooling system. I have also been known to wet a wash cloth and stick it on my head under my helmet to help cool me off.
    CURRENT: 2015 Yellow RT-S SE6 "Smiling All the Way"
    CB, Satelite Radio, BRP Vented Windshield, BRP Adjustable Handwings, Cup Holder, EZ Pass Holder, Side Saddle Cargo Nets, Smiley Face FLO, Smiley Flower Face Decals, Tri Axel Handlebar's, Corbin Heated Seat, Baker Built Upper/Lower Air Wings, BumpSkid, High Third Brake/Running Light, Brake/Running Light/Turn Signal License Plate, Turn Signals in Mirrors.

PAST: 2013 Yellow RT-S SE5 - Loaded with lots of goodies.

Spyder Garage

Talking Mesh Jackets

Personally wear 'Gear One' Mesh Tex offered by site sponsor BajaRon. The important thing to remember regardless of what you decide to wear when riding in HEAT - 'stay hydrated'.

It can get hot here too.

FORECAST HIGH TEMPERATURES FOR SATURDAY:

LOWER DESERTS...............105 TO 113.
    HIGH DESERTS.................95 TO 103.
    Last edited by Jeriatric; 05-30-2013 at 10:35 AM.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mesh jackets will actually keep you cooler than bare exposed skin. Sun and wind on bare skin will dry you up and tan you like a baseball glove. Sitting still in hot humid weather it'll be hot, but a little airflow and it will cool you down quite fast. Soaking down a t-shirt is a great trick, you'll actually feel cold for the first while, as are those gel scarves or vests.

Joe Rocket, Icon, Speed & Strength, River Road are brands of jackets that are cut for the North American build. Revzilla has great return policies and it helps to read the customer reviews.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bullant12 View Post
    This is a judgement call.

You wear what makes you comfy. However, if you are ATGATT (All The Gear All The Time) user, you will wear a mesh jacket for protection. Again, this is a judgement call and you will learn during the process. However, this is my judgement: when going on short rYdes (run errands around town) and not on the interstate, I go shorts, short sleave t-shirt and tennis shoes. If I go on a day rYde, I'll switch the shorts and shoes to jeans and riding boots AND take a mesh jacket if I have to take the interstate for some reason.

Many companies offer good mesh gear, with big sizes to choose from. Revzilla will let you swap out gear at no additional costs within 30 days. Good luck!

Cycle Gear is a reputable chain store for bikers. It has a good selection of jackets.
    I agree 100%. It's totally a judgement call and I end up doing the same. I am guilty at times of dressing "light" when it comes to gear in the summer. Helmet 100% but I do wear shorts, t's, and sneaks in the summer. (guess I'm a squid...) Jackets on the highway are almost a must though due to wind flap that beats you up.
    Gear COLOR makes a pretty big difference too.....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I wear a Fieldsheer Mesh jacket
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    Gear COLOR makes a pretty big difference too.....
    White is a good reflector color... If you have long sleve t-shirts that are made for hot weather, that works to avoid getting sunburned.
    I also bought a couple of cooling towels when it gets REALLY hot out there... haven't tried them yet, but I've heard from other riders they work...
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

...Tourmaster modular mesh jacket here... Good for the twenties, up through the nineties!
    It has an insulated liner and a nylon shell that can be added as condtions warrant...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I almost always wear mesh in the hot summer. As was said, it keeps the sun off and shades the skin, so it is actually cooler than without the mesh. The safety and visibility factors (for hi-vis jackets) are also undeniable. My old jacket was a FirstGear, which I loved, but when it got tired they didn't make that design any longer. I didn't like the newer FirstGear mesh, so I am now wearing a Tourmaster Sonora.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I just looked; Mine is a TourMaster Flex, Series 3

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    ...Tourmaster modular mesh jacket here... Good for the twenties, up through the nineties!
    It has an insulated liner and a nylon shell that can be added as condtions warrant...
    ! In the summer the mesh is good, but I carry all the pieces with me anyway. In the Spring or Fall, you never know how much coverage you'll want. You may start out needing something heavier and in the afternoon only need the mesh. I highly recommend the Tourmaster modular.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member MidLifeCrisis's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The Olympia switchback has been working out pretty nicely for bith our AZ summers and winters thats betwee 118 and 30 degrees. At leadt that's the temos I've ridden un anyway.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Spyder Garage

I wear a Joe Rocket Phoenix 5.0 Hi-viz mesh jacket.
    http://www.joerocket.com/catalog/ind...s/Phoenix_5.0_[mesh]
    2014 Timeless Black RTS/SE - BRP CB/Comm System; BRP Zumo 660 GPS System; BRP Cellphone Interface; BRP ST-1 Helmets w/BRP Headsets; BRP XM Radio; BRP Tri-Axis Handlebars; BRP Adj Wind Deflectors; BRP Adj Vent Windshield; BRP Comfort Seat & Utopia Backrest; Corbin Armrests; HMT Brake Light; TricLED 3/4 Brake & Running Lights; TricLED Fender Lights & Rr Cargo Lights; CD Fender TIPS Kit; Bump Skid; Scorpio i900 Alarm; Touratech GPS Locking Mount; NBV Highway Mounts; BBP Brake Pedal, Stebel horn.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If its nice and toasty. I would go with maybe just a vest. That way you can enjoy the warm summer weather without the restrictions of a jacket. Even though a mesh jacket is cool and what not for keeping cooler. Look into getting a vest, there are some really good priced vests out there, I can point you in the right direction if its something you'll now consider

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    ! In the summer the mesh is good, but I carry all the pieces with me anyway. In the Spring or Fall, you never know how much coverage you'll want. You may start out needing something heavier and in the afternoon only need the mesh. I highly recommend the Tourmaster modular.
    I'd say that, "Great minds think alike...", but mine clearly isn't!

Spyder Garage

1. 90% of the time I wear a mesh jacket in the summer time. 100% of the time if there's any freeway riding. not sure if there's really a rhyme or reason behind it.

2. My personal preference is the Rush Mesh Jacket in (of course) day glo yellow. I'm a huge fan of high vis colors (yellow, green, orange) while riding. For the other 3 season, the wife and I both have Firstgear Kilimanjaro Jackets.
    ----
    USAF Retired (1986 - 2006)
    Ohio PGR Ride Captain
    Riding with Dignity, Honor and Respect

Spyder Garage

Default BRP Summer Mesh

Thats right the same CO. that makes your bike has the most awesome mesh jacket. I have armor inserted(that they make ) for the shoulder and elbow. but the back protector only in my leather jacket. You can get it for the summer mesh, if you want.

This jacket comes with a removable lining, so you only need the one jacket if you start out in the morning and ride into the night.

There is a front inside zip where I keep my wallet. Both pockets have outside zips, they also make matching pants which I don't have yet. Yu even get a heavy duty hanger with it

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

so going along with this...

do you guys wear gloves in the summer?

Spyder Garage

Default Mesh in Texas

New rider, considered carefully and decided the protection was worth investing in the mesh. Here in Texas, my thought was that mesh could be a three season jacket with a liner or something under it. So far, have riden in temps up to 90+. I can confirm it gets hot when sitting in traffic but when moving it is not bad. Rode 60 miles or so two weeks ago with t shirt only...won't do that again because of wind and sun burn. Have not tried the wet t-shirt trick but sounds good.

Got my FirstGear from Revzilla. Great service and quick. I am chunky as well, but jacket fit except for a bit long in the sleeves. I am by no means an expert, but for a first investment I think it is a good one. Just bought a pair of mesh pants as well...when they arrive I will do some testing on those.

Good luck on your search
    Mike
    2014 RT Limited Black Currant

Spyder Garage

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by kepople View Post

Yes, Deer Skin

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Default Yes

Yes to the gloves. Mine have quite a bit of mesh they are very comfortable.
    Mike
    2014 RT Limited Black Currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by keith217 View Post
    If its nice and toasty. I would go with maybe just a vest. That way you can enjoy the warm summer weather without the restrictions of a jacket. Even though a mesh jacket is cool and what not for keeping cooler. Look into getting a vest, there are some really good priced vests out there, I can point you in the right direction if its something you'll now consider

Throw it over a t-shirt add some elbow pads and you're all set.
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

JLohPhotos