Spyder Garage

Default first 125 miles.....do I have issues??

Driving home from work...20 miles of interstate through downtown, 20 miles of "out of town" open interstate.

Weather: 90 degrees, humid
    Traffic: congested, 35 to 40 mph, stop and go, up to speed
    Time: 5:30 pm

1) Had 5 to 6 bars (constant through town)...lowered to 4 bars, long stretch with tree cover. What happens at 7 bars?

2) Felt spray (moisture) on my face..(as if car in front of me was using their windshield fuild pump) Could be condensing fluid from shield...70% humidity. Looking at 6 bars, thought I had a coolant leak, but could find no way fuild could be hitting my face. It's been 20 years since I owned a water cooled bike, and never felt moisture spray on my face without the car in front of me causing it. OK, start laughing now, get through it.

3) Went 125 miles and have less than a 1/4 tank. Sounds OK..not great.

4) Noticed burn spot on (less than quality) stock muffler. I would've thought it would take a little longer for this to happen. Going to try and get a new one from dealer. (keep it in case I decide to sell when I reach 100K miles).

5) When riding my Softail without a shield, it was all I could do to keep my head up. Neck and shoulders got tired shortly after leaving onramp. Of course the sitting position is set back. I felt real comfortable with stock shield. Direct wind on my chest, but no trouble with head buffering, or fatique. (Wearing a half helmet with goggles).

6) Stopped by Harley dealership to show my (HD) mechanic the Spyder. Cleared the entire store out, including the owner. LMAO! Had 2 guys follow me there from the interstate. Grown men asking to sit on it. What a shame.

7) Was home late. No problem, friend left 4 messeges wanting to buy a bottle of "Apple Pie". Home made moonshine drink that tasted just like apple pie. Perfect little beverage for camping. Need to be careful though, tends to realease ones inhibitions, and the clothes soon disappear around the campfire. :

Happy Owner
    Chances are the referenced post is positive in nature, may result in a solution, alteration, modification, or highlights an extraordinary event or ride, that's worth posting.

Spyder Garage

Default Re: first 125 miles.....do I have issues??

Sounds pretty normal to me.

The fan kicks on at 6 bars.

Not sure what to tell you about the 'spray'. Never had that.

Make sure and VARY your speed and gears. Downshift. Upshift.... and DON'T go easy on it like the manual says.

Gotta seat those rings in!

If you get another stock pipe..... it will probably get the burn mark too. Mine had it after 20 miles.

I put the Hindle on and life is good.

I've had the Apple Pie before...... yummy stuff!

Spyder Garage

I've got the Micron already...in a box still. Will keep new unused stock muffler for garage orniment.

Happy Owner
    Chances are the referenced post is positive in nature, may result in a solution, alteration, modification, or highlights an extraordinary event or ride, that's worth posting.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Twodog185
    Driving home from work...20 miles of interstate through downtown, 20 miles of "out of town" open interstate.
    2) Felt spray (moisture) on my face..(as if car in front of me was using their windshield fuild pump) Could be condensing fluid from shield...70% humidity.
    The coolant used in most modern internal combustion engines has a very distinctive smell. If you had coolant sprayed on your face you would know...

3) Went 125 miles and have less than a 1/4 tank. Sounds OK..not great.
    Most folks are averaging around 30 - 35 US MPG. I've heard as low as 28 and as high as 45. The best way to get more mileage is to slow down on the highway.

4) Noticed burn spot on (less than quality) stock muffler. I would've thought it would take a little longer for this to happen. Going to try and get a new one from dealer. (keep it in case I decide to sell when I reach 100K miles).
    Yup... known issue.

6) Stopped by Harley dealership to show my (HD) mechanic the Spyder. Cleared the entire store out, including the owner. LMAO! Had 2 guys follow me there from the interstate. Grown men asking to sit on it. What a shame.
    Yup... another known issue. Some have expressed impatience with gawkers and interested passersby. If you intend to ride the Spyder often you better get used to it -- at least until more of 'em get on the roads.

7) Was home late. No problem, friend left 4 messeges wanting to buy a bottle of "Apple Pie". Home made moonshine drink that tasted just like apple pie. Perfect little beverage for camping. Need to be careful though, tends to realease ones inhibitions, and the clothes soon disappear around the campfire.
    Hmmmmm... need to know WHO ELSE is around the campfire before I can respond to this one!

Regards,

Mark

Spyder Garage

OH YEA!!!! love that apple pie
    HAPPY FORMER OWNER of 2008 PE 3016

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

18 to eighty, blind crippled or crazy, if they are getting naked, I suppose Ill have a peek. (female variety of course)