Thread: BRAKE ALARM

Spyder Garage

Default BRAKE ALARM

My dealer told me that the brake alarm is not working on my 2011 RTS SE5 . This is the alarm that goes off if you turn off the and don't have the brake set. They told me to replace the alarm means replacing the entire dash cluster. Has anyone heard of this and do I really need this replaced? If they replace the cluster that means my mileage counter starts over at 0. Thanks for your time. The is still under warranty.

La Grande, Oregon "In The Blue Mountains, On The Oregon Trail"
    Spyder Garage

Default Brake Alarm.

I can respond to the question of an instrument cluster replacement causing the mileage to go back to zero. I just had my instrument cluster replaced, and the mileage on the new cluster read the same regarding the mileage as when I dropped my Spyder off for the instrument cluster replacement work, which was done under warranty.

I was surprised, as I figured the mileage would be "zero" on the new cluster. I asked the service writer if a label had been attached to the frame showing the old mileage versus the new mileage, due to the new instrument cluster installation. Nope, the service advisor said that no label needed to be attached, and that one of the on-board computers will populate the previous mileage reading into the brand new instrument cluster--and, if I'm recalling correctly, he said that it was the same as for the Can-Am ATV's, or Ski-Doo snowmobiles too, but, I'm not sure which it was. <M>
    Last edited by Hovdestar; 05-30-2013 at 02:17 AM.
    2012 RT/S

Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I had the same problem in March 2012 see my post

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...rking-normally

After a couple of trips the fault came back - Had the Spyder serviced They checked the Rear Brake function Brake Fluid, Brake switch inc the console switch and could still not correct the fault
    The Tech said the same thing the bleeper alarm is contained with the cluster and the only remedy was to replace the cluster - As all other functions in the cluster display was ok and I did not want to get my mileage set back to zero I decided to accept the fact my alarm bleeper does not work although the warning light still functions

I figured as my Car doesn't have a warning bleeper to advise me the handbrake is not selected so I could live with this on my Spyder (The alarm was annoying anyway) And I know some had posted they wanted to know if the bleeper could be disconnected

I do find the bleeper will sometimes work after a long trip I suspect it's a dry joint in the Cluster and when its hot the bleeper makes connection and then works
    Not sure if anyone has taken a cluster apart to see if there is a circuit board in there that could be repaired but as this is a sensitive piece of technology - Would not like to risk it myself

Sorry could not help solve the problem but maybe like me you can learn to live without that bleeper and just double check the parking brake is on when leaving the Spyder
    Eddie Sheppard
    Poole Dorset UK

Get a Spyder - See the World

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I find the brake beeper alarm extremely annoying and wish mine would break! How did you break it? Don't change the cluster just go with it it's not that vital. Just remember to put your brake on or wear running shoes so you can chase your Spyder down the road. LOL

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hovdestar View Post
    I can respond to the question of an instrument cluster replacement causing the mileage to go back to zero. I just had my instrument cluster replaced, and the mileage on the new cluster read the same regarding the mileage as when I dropped my Spyder off for the instrument cluster replacement work, which was done under warranty.

I was surprised, as I figured the mileage would be "zero" on the new cluster. I asked the service writer if a label had been attached to the frame showing the old mileage versus the new mileage, due to the new instrument cluster installation. Nope, the service advisor said that no label needed to be attached, and that one of the on-board computers will populate the previous mileage reading into the brand new instrument cluster--and, if I'm recalling correctly, he said that it was the same as for the Can-Am ATV's, or Ski-Doo snowmobiles too, but, I'm not sure which it was. <M>
    Your dealer was misinformed. By law, at least in this state, a sticker has to be attached. The trouble is tghat the law specifies that it be attached to the left door pillar. I have yet to find one of those on a Spyder. The ECM will not repopulate the odometer. Once the cluster is changed, the mileage reverts to zero, and cannot be retrieved by the dealer or the machine.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default BRAKE ALARM

Thanks everyone for the feedback Funny thing is, I never knew the bleeper wasn't working I always make sure the brake is set. The dealer informed me of the malfunction. As long as it doesn't cause more issues, I'll leave it as is. I don't miss it one bit.

La Grande, Oregon "In The Blue Mountains, On The Oregon Trail"
    Spyder Garage

Default Misinformed Dealer.

Yep, upon further inquiry of the dealer, absolutely nothing was done to my instrument cluster. The service writer called me in the late afternoon, and apologized. New instrument cluster has been ordered--should be here in about half a month. <M>
    2012 RT/S