Spyder Garage

Default Vary the RPMs during break-in..but by how much?

I'm picking up my new RS-S tomorrow, just in time to leave with a couple of other riders on a 600-700 mile loop through central KS. Unfortunately, my first day's ride will be mostly Interstate. I know the recommendation is to avoid steady-RPM cruising during break-in, so how much do I need to vary the engine speed along the way, and how frequently should I try run it through the whole rev range? I want to break it in properly, but I also don't want to drive my riding companions bonkers.

I've broken in plenty of motorcycles before without any issues, but always started with a couple hundred miles of short, around-town trips before taking a longer tour on the superslab.

Any advice is appreciated.

2013 RS-S SM5 [His] • 2021 RT Base [Hers] • 1977 Bultaco custom roadster • 1974 Harley-Davidson/Aermacchi 350 SS

Spyder Garage

Talking

Companion riding on a longer trip and break in miles simply don't go hand in hand. If you want to break it in properly, then prepare to disappoint them. jmo

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Unfortunately;
    Do you have any way to plan an alternate, parallel route that you can take in order to vary your rpms a bit, and then meet up with them at day's end?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

You know the right way- Short-Varied-Some cool downs-Etc! The choice is entirely yours?

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

A group ride wont hurt at all. Vary the RPM's when it's convenient and move between 4th and 5th gears to help. I think engines are built really well for the most part, and require very little break-in. Change your oil and filter(s) at 600, and have fun.

Spyder Garage

I "broke in" my 2008 and the 2010 just like I ride them. No issues. 43K when I traded the 2008 and now 38K on the 2010.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Breaking in

I feel your pain. I am a Lone Ranger rider most of the time. I know if it were me riding with you all I would need is a few words as to your planned on riding style. Like I am going to run between 55/65 and an occasional run up 67.8 MPH.

Spyder Garage

Default speed

the day I got my spyder I drove almost 100 miles from the dealer to home and the dealer never said a word about breakin varying speeds but I would think since its a high rpm engine that the important part is not to lug it until it has some miles on it but who really knows as I seen some new bike go on 500 mile trips right from the start ?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
    I "broke in" my 2008 and the 2010 just like I ride them. No issues. 43K when I traded the 2008 and now 38K on the 2010.
    EXACTLY! ride it aggressively and go. I wouldn't skip on that ride. Just shift through the gears occasionally and play with it while cruising down the interstate
    2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS convertible. 2017 GMC Sierra cc diesel. 2017 Arctic cat RR 137 ES

Spyder Garage

Many schools of thought when it comes to break in.

Obviously, there's the "by the book" way. I'm sure that way will work just fine.

That said, there's also the "aggressive" break in espoused by some. Best description online can be found here: http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

With my Spyder, I followed those recommendations, and have had no issues since then. Of course, I've only got 14,000 miles on my bike, so who knows if I doomed it at 40,000 miles, and I just don't know it yet.

But so far, so good.
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'll stir-up the fire here a bit and post this link... which typically starts the debate-fires going...

http://mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

This what I do to break-in engines, and it works from my experience.

Others can do what they want, how they want (which is why I do not buy used vehicles).

Before anyone starts to debate... please take the time to read the material first (despite it being a crappy web design setup).

EDIT: Didn't realize Daveinva just posted this.

SL #7026
    VBA #652
    HOG #3935417
    2011 Viper-Red Spyder RT SE5 & Trailer
    2017 HD Ultra Limited
    Former Rides: 2014 HD Ultra Limited; '04 Kawa Nomad; '09 HD Ultra-Classic; and many Hondas through the years.
    Spyder Newbies Do's & Do Not's: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

Spyder Garage

I have "broken in" many new bikes and cars. I ride them like I just stole them. I have NEVER had even a slight problem. I even took a Triumph 2300 Rocket 3 and installed a Supercharger within 100 Miles of it being new. Rode it like i stole it also. My opinion::::: Break it in like you will ride it..... Engines are on the money now. Not like it was "back in the day"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Illinois Boy View Post
    I'll stir-up the fire here a bit and post this link... which typically starts the debate-fires going...

http://mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

This what I do to break-in engines, and it works from my experience.

Others can do what they want, how they want (which is why I do not buy used vehicles).

Before anyone starts to debate... please take the time to read the material first (despite it being a crappy web design setup).

EDIT: Didn't realize Daveinva just posted this.

I agree with the doubly posted motoman method 10,000,000%
    2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS convertible. 2017 GMC Sierra cc diesel. 2017 Arctic cat RR 137 ES

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rabtech View Post
    I have "broken in" many new bikes and cars. I ride them like I just stole them. I have NEVER had even a slight problem. I even took a Triumph 2300 Rocket 3 and installed a Supercharger within 100 Miles of it being new. Rode it like i stole it also. My opinion::::: Break it in like you will ride it..... Engines are on the money now. Not like it was "back in the day"

The caveat is to let the motor warm up to operating temperature FIRST and only right before you're going to ride it properly. NEVER, NEVER keep starting it when it's new to show your buddies how it sounds or whatever......

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARCTIC View Post
    The caveat is to let the motor warm up to operating temperature FIRST and only right before you're going to ride it properly. NEVER, NEVER keep starting it when it's new to show your buddies how it sounds or whatever......

Yes, this is soooooo important. It is a rule I live by. You can ride it like you stole it. However, Get some oil to the top of the engine and get a little heat in it. DONT start it and race it up. Engines are built to have a load on them . Just racing them up is asking for a problem.... Its ok to give them a slight rap every once in a while at a red light but dont make a habit of it...
    Last edited by rabtech; 05-29-2013 at 06:18 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARCTIC View Post
    EXACTLY! ride it aggressively and go. I wouldn't skip on that ride. Just shift through the gears occasionally and play with it while cruising down the interstate

Hey Arctic ,,,,that could cause you to have a wreck or maybe some kind of ticket for exposure....

I couldnt stand it. The inner child in me came out!!!

Spyder Garage

Default MotoMan engine break in the best way

After engine is warmed up, the first 20-50 miles should be on the gas up to about 6,000 rpm, then let engine slow you down; several times. While on freeway, you can downshift to about 6,000 rpm (speeding up), then allow engine to slow you down, (without getting run over). Just vary rpm up & down during your freeway ride & it should be good! Congrats on new RSS Spyder . All my bikes & Spyders were broke in the MotoMan way; & all do not use oil, and seem to have plenty of torque/power. You are a seasoned rider so no problem with engine break in. I put 2oz of Lucas upper cylinder lube in gas tank before 1st fill up & 1 oz every tank after that.
    Your 2013 Spyder comes with upper cylinder lube in gas tank, as per Len at Pitbull Powersports Springfield, Mo.
    Good luck. Have a fun ride!! Jim
    Last edited by spyderyderjim; 05-29-2013 at 06:31 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Engine BREAK~IN

Many of our family members have responded to you with great and accurate ways of breaking in your engine.

More importantly is to vary the engine RPM every few minutes!

ALSO BE SURE TO USE COMPRESSION TO SLOW YOUR ROADSTER.

SEATING THE RINGS

It is equally important when breaking in your engine to vary the RPM both in acceleration and compression! After all what you are doing is assuring that the rings work in both directions! The ring movement (however small it is in the ring lands of the piston) have to take the force of hard acceleration and compression.

Look at some of the race engines; they run only about 20 minutes between 1,500 to 2,500 RPM with a few short blasts of 5K or 6K for a few minutes before heading for the track. Once on the track it is hard at it going down the straights and then fast down shifts coming into the corners (compression)

In all this the bearing inserts are also getting seated in during the initial start up / break in period. About 20 minutes.

A question to ask is, How much running time does the engine have on it before it is crated and shipped out from the factory and the dealer prep time? I think the initial break~in (20 minutes give or take) has been completed by the time we take delivery.

This is not to say you will be abusing your Roadster, it is only suggesting that you give it a reasonable workout and vary the RPM from low to high 3,500 to 7,000 what ever you feel comfortable with.

RYDE ON and enjoy your new ROADSTER
    Last edited by MrLooney; 05-29-2013 at 06:53 PM. Reason: added comment
    If it Feels Good, Do It !!

Too Much Is Just Enough !
    2011 RS~S Pure Magnesium / Black ~M~

Spyder Garage

Default Vary the RPMs during break-in..but by how much?

Thanks for the advise. We talked it over and we're going to make all of the trip on two-lane state roads except for one 60-mile stretch of interstate midway.

2013 RS-S SM5 [His] • 2021 RT Base [Hers] • 1977 Bultaco custom roadster • 1974 Harley-Davidson/Aermacchi 350 SS

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Make sure you ride in the back of the pack. Then you can speed up and down and keep rpms up and do not lug below 3500. Let the motor warm up to temp. It is an aluminum motor and should be warmed up before getting on it. It is nice that these are water cooled and you can warm it up properly. It is very hard on a AL motor to rump on it when it is cold...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rabtech View Post
    Hey Arctic ,,,,that could cause you to have a wreck or maybe some kind of ticket for exposure....

I couldnt stand it. The inner child in me came out!!!
    I had to read my post again he'll probably want to play with it after all the excitement of riding a new spyder

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    Companion riding on a longer trip and break in miles simply don't go hand in hand. If you want to break it in properly, then prepare to disappoint them. jmo
    Excellent advice.

2018 F3 S, BRP SS Grill, Spoiler, Attitude Bars, #1 linkage kit, Chopped R Fender, TBR S1R slip On exhaust, Elka Stage 2 R Shock, Shad saddlebags