Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by TuckMiddle View Post
    I have a service plan and they do everything on the published inspection sheets. Last month,at 28,000 miles, they did every item, including the valve Insp, front brakes and any other conceivable item and the bill was $2950. All was paid for by the service plan which covers all labor for 3 years and 6 oil changes, 6 major Insp, 2 batts, and a couple other goodies I can't remember. I won't reveal the cost , but I've got copies of all work, parts, misc, etc. Doing every single
    thing BMP has on the Inspections, I am light years ahead dollar wise and probably would have spent more than this service agreement Has cost and I have another 15 month to go on the agreement with one oil change, one batt, and two more major insp, plus any labor for tires, troubleshooting, etc
    Outstanding investment as far as I am concerned. Oh, trouble shooting for problems has been immense For several items That may have been covered by the basic two yr warranty, I'm not sure all of it would have, I never even asked. Today was 3 hours Trouble shooting on the lack of charging the iPod in the trunk and this has been covered by something, as it should be. I also have what amounts to a 5.9 yr ext warranty due to the many unknowns that seem to pop up. All this extended stuff is new to me. I only have ever bought one ext policy' in my life, 75 years and counting rapidly, and that is on the Prius we bought in 2008 that has never had claim except one of the computers at 8 months. So that money goes down the drain in a couple weeks when the 5 years is up.
    Sorry this is so long, but I wanted you to realize that there was a way to keep the cost way down, cover many of the mysteries of Spyder ownership and still get max use of our $$$. I dare say we probably saved twice the cost paid for the Mx program and the bike has been pretty much trouble free and Serviced by super technicians and parts folks and even a loaner bike when my wife couldn't pick me up.
    Tuck
    Tuck, 3K every 14,000 miles means a person would reinvest the total value of a $30.000.00 spyder every 140,000 miles( in 14K services alone - not to mention all the normal wear items). That's just plain nuts. Don't care who is running the pencil. If.....this turns out to be the case with maintaining spyders. They won't make it. Hell, my Vettes never cost that kind of money. And I've had many.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    Tuck, 3K every 14,000 miles means a person would reinvest the total value of a $30.000.00 spyder every 140,000 miles( in 14K services alone - not to mention all the normal wear items). That's just plain nuts. Don't care who is running the pencil. If.....this turns out to be the case with maintaining spyders. They won't make it. Hell, my Vettes never cost that kind of money. And I've had many.
    Yeah, that's my main concern. In just 14,000 miles, I've spent a LOT getting my bike serviced.

To date, I've been happy paying for the convenience of a dealer doing most of my work, but seeing as it's not so convenient any more, I think I'm done paying for everything I can do myself. No more lazy excuses from now on!
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

The lack of non BRP service centers keeps the price of service high. Until local shops can work on Spyders the high cost of maintenance and shoddy workmanship with untrained and uncaring dealers will continue. In three years I will sell my 2012 RT-S and most likely get another brand of trike if this continues.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    $110 per hour here for labor. I'm having a tire put on the back today. Last one was 149.95 for the tire and today it will be 179.95.

That said, a thourough explaination of the items might be in order for your bill.
    How about this one...got rear tire changed out and I asked how much...$219.00 (BRP Kendra) just for the tire. I said hey I just got a 2013 catalog in the mail the day before and the price in there is $199.00. The service writer said they charge a 10% mark up on the list price!!!!

Spyder Garage

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Ga Blue Knight View Post
    The lack of non BRP service centers keeps the price of service high. Until local shops can work on Spyders the high cost of maintenance and shoddy workmanship with untrained and uncaring dealers will continue. In three years I will sell my 2012 RT-S and most likely get another brand of trike if this continues.
    Just got off the horn with my service dept. If they do 'everything listed in the 14K service' it runs $950.00 - including parts. Shop rate $90.00 hr.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

After reading this thread I've got some observations:
    1. The rate for labour of $54.00/hour in NY to 150.00 a dealer in IN is BOGUS.BRP better figure out that $3K every 14K miles is a perscription for failure, as someone already posted.
    2. Any thought of me selling or trading in my '09 GL1800 trike on an RT-Limited has just gone out the window. Based on the maintenance cost alone. My 3-H-Ds never cost me as much as a Spyder
    3. $30K for a early C6 vette is way better a purchase. My 26K C5 cost me $62.00 for a 7 qt. Mobil 1 oil change, filter and inspection today.
    Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My 14,000 mile service cost me $400.00. Skipped the valve check, brake fluid replacement, coolant replacement, oil/filter and oil screen cleaning (did myself) and air filter replacement (since it was replaced at 10,000 miles). Price included installing Bajaron's plugs and wires. Dropped Spyder off and it went in the maintenance bay at 0930 (appointment) and picked it up at 1500. Was at the shop at 1430 and tech was just finishing up with the Tupperware install. Thought the price was fair.
    2016 F3-L Special Series? Mods: Lamonster IPS end caps w/ Gripper 3rd pegs, GPS mount, Power Plate, Perf. Muffler; Backoff Brake Light Strobe; CD Front (amber/red) Brightsides & Tip Kit; ISCI Flag Holder w/Long Poles; BRP Signature Light, Aux Lights, Saddlebag Liners, Garmin 590 GPS; TricLED foam Grips, LEDs (Aux/headlights); Pitbull Driving Lights; RDL seat; Ultimate backrest

Previous ryde: 2012 RT-L, 26,636 miles on it when traded; 2014 RT-L, 34,147 miles on it when traded

Spyder Garage

Default News to me :(

Quote Originally Posted by TuckMiddle View Post
    I have a service plan and they do everything on the published inspection sheets. Last month,at 28,000 miles, they did every item, including the valve Insp, front brakes and any other conceivable item and the bill was $2950. All was paid for by the service plan which covers all labor for 3 years and 6 oil changes, 6 major Insp, 2 batts, and a couple other goodies I can't remember. I won't reveal the cost , but I've got copies of all work, parts, misc, etc. Doing every single
    thing BMP has on the Inspections, I am light years ahead dollar wise and probably would have spent more than this service agreement Has cost and I have another 15 month to go on the agreement with one oil change, one batt, and two more major insp, plus any labor for tires, troubleshooting, etc
    Outstanding investment as far as I am concerned. Oh, trouble shooting for problems has been immense For several items That may have been covered by the basic two yr warranty, I'm not sure all of it would have, I never even asked. Today was 3 hours Trouble shooting on the lack of charging the iPod in the trunk and this has been covered by something, as it should be. I also have what amounts to a 5.9 yr ext warranty due to the many unknowns that seem to pop up. All this extended stuff is new to me. I only have ever bought one ext policy' in my life, 75 years and counting rapidly, and that is on the Prius we bought in 2008 that has never had claim except one of the computers at 8 months. So that money goes down the drain in a couple weeks when the 5 years is up.
    Sorry this is so long, but I wanted you to realize that there was a way to keep the cost way down, cover many of the mysteries of Spyder ownership and still get max use of our $$$. I dare say we probably saved twice the cost paid for the Mx program and the bike has been pretty much trouble free and Serviced by super technicians and parts folks and even a loaner bike when my wife couldn't pick me up. I have normally done most of my own mx on cars, trucks, bikes, whatever, but with a bunch of back fgixes, shoulder, arthritis plus being a crab, per my wife, I could see the Spyder was a challeng to my abilities so that was the original cause of concern. Now it has worked much better than ever antiscipated and I'm a happy guy. Big red and I are scheduled to be at Maggie Valley, but my wife has a neck operation this Thurs and that may cnx the trip, but I hope to be at Lamonts, regardless.
    Tuck
    My dealer didn't even offer this to me ??? Didn't know it was available....hmmmm figures
    2014 RT , Yellow

Spyder Garage

Default Have tools

Just got off the horn with my service dept. If they do 'everything listed in the 14K service' it runs $950.00 - including parts. Shop rate $90.00 hr.
    after reading all this I may buy a service manual and learn to do it myself !!! Hmmmm don't think my Spyder will fit on my bike rack now I need a welder to add panels lol
    2014 RT , Yellow

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default DEAR DAVE

I feel your PAIN, Welcome to the " DEALER FROM HELL " club......I know you didn't want to join but.....They made you....... .....Mike.............................Post script,,,,If the Spyder wasn't so damn AWESOME ...the Rotten Dealers would have KILLED IT by now,,,,,This is a sad comment on what BRP has to deal with also....
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 05-29-2013 at 11:07 PM.

Very Active Member MidLifeCrisis's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default NOT happy with my dealer service...

Just called my dealer and they quoted me $580 for the 14k full service. Their labor rate is $90 per hour. Something is just wrong with some of the price quotes dealers are asking. I've always thought my dealer was expensive....

Spyder Garage

Question

Quote Originally Posted by MidLifeCrisis View Post
    Just called my dealer and they quoted me $580 for the 14k full service. Their labor rate is $90 per hour. Something is just wrong with some of the price quotes dealers are asking. I've always thought my dealer was expensive....
    Parts included?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good price...if they really do the FULL 14k service.
    2016 F3-L Special Series? Mods: Lamonster IPS end caps w/ Gripper 3rd pegs, GPS mount, Power Plate, Perf. Muffler; Backoff Brake Light Strobe; CD Front (amber/red) Brightsides & Tip Kit; ISCI Flag Holder w/Long Poles; BRP Signature Light, Aux Lights, Saddlebag Liners, Garmin 590 GPS; TricLED foam Grips, LEDs (Aux/headlights); Pitbull Driving Lights; RDL seat; Ultimate backrest

Previous ryde: 2012 RT-L, 26,636 miles on it when traded; 2014 RT-L, 34,147 miles on it when traded

Very Active Member MidLifeCrisis's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Parts included?
    That's what they said.

Spyder Garage

Exclamation

That's what they said.
    I've heard of price spreads, but nothing like this thread contains. Sure glad I like to bend wrenches.

Spyder Garage

Alright folks, here is my RS SE5 14K service fully itemized bill (I'll save my comments for the end):

1. Perform oil & filter change:
    Parts subtotal: $77.54
    Labor subtotal: $99.00 (one hour)
    JOB SUBTOTAL: $176.64

2. Replace air filter: Not selected (I have the K&N aftermarket air filter)

3. Replace coolant:
    Parts: $27.07
    Labor: $99.00 (one hour)

4. Replace brake fluid:
    Parts: $9.98
    Labor $297.00 (three hours)

5. Replace brake pads front/rear:
    Parts: $160.98 (1 front brake kit Gen 3 pads, 1 rare brake kit Gen 3 pads)
    Labor: $148.50 (2.4 hours at $237.60, however they listed a discount subtracting -$87.10 for some reason)

6. VA State Safety Inspection: $12.00

Total parts: $275.67
    Total labor: $655.50
    Shop supplies: $26.00
    Tax: $15.09
    Total amount due: $972.26

-----------------

So, there ya go: it was that brake flush that did me in. When I went through the items I immediately focused in on that asking how the heck it could cost so much. They say it's a two person job for them to bleed each caliper, and they charge one hour labor for each of the three brakes. I'm not mechanically inclined enough to know if that's BS or not, but I did then ask if this is something that the dealer recommends is always required at the 2 year/14K mark, or is this something I can push off to a more relaxed cycle. Being good loyal soldiers they recommended to stick with the warranty schedule.

Obviously, brakes are not something I want to mess around with, but I ask the wisdom of the crowd if this is something I can safely put off to longer intervals, or if not, is there an easy way to inspect the quality of the remaining fluid to know if I'm good enough to go for longer between flushes.

Because I do NOT want to pay that much again at this interval.

BTW, again, by choice I didn't get valves checked, plugs replaced, air filter replaced, nor exhaust gaskets replaced. Strangely enough, the only service my dealer listed as not chosen was the air filter, which was specifically called out as I mentioned above-- everything else I passed on wasn't listed on my receipt.

But bottom line: I can only imagine how much MORE expensive this service would have been for me had they done all of the above. I'm thinking I'd have been close to $1500 territory with the valve check included.

Lessons learned? I'm going to suck it up and do my own oil changes from now on. And at the above price I think I'm going to figure out how to replace my own brake pads as well. I'll take it into the dealer to handle BUDS checkups and the like, but anything I can do on my own, I'll do on my own, and just document the heck out of it to protect myself in the event of warranty issues. Fingers crossed.
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well at least I see that they didn't make you buy the grease they used on you while they had you bent over the lift table...
    Or didn't they use grease??
    Sorry...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Question

Did you get a kiss?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by waytootall67 View Post
    How about this one...got rear tire changed out and I asked how much...$219.00 (BRP Kendra) just for the tire. I said hey I just got a 2013 catalog in the mail the day before and the price in there is $199.00. The service writer said they charge a 10% mark up on the list price!!!!

Both of our RT's had rears replaced and the price for the tire was $138. Labor was a little high because they had to R&R the trailer hitches and replace rear pads.. still got out of there for under $200. Sometimes I think dealers use dartboard pricing!
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Well at least I see that they didn't make you buy the grease they used on you while they had you bent over the lift table...
    Or didn't they use grease??
    Sorry...
    And not even the common decency to offer me a... HEY, FAMILY WEBSITE!

Anywho. On the bright side, my Spyder *is* back in my hands, and all prepped to go to Maggie Valley, so I'll just find a way to let all the frustration go over the next couple weeks and approach zen perfection for the Owner's Event.

rayeade

Where can you get a shop manual for the Spyder? I have not seen one listed in the on lone shore.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default shop manual

Quote Originally Posted by rayeade View Post
    Where can you get a shop manual for the Spyder? I have not seen one listed in the on lone shore.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    You can get them on-line for approx. $22 in computer disk form.......Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 05-29-2013 at 10:52 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by daveinva View Post
    Anywho. On the bright side, my Spyder *is* back in my hands, and all prepped to go to Maggie Valley, so I'll just find a way to let all the frustration go over the next couple weeks and approach zen perfection for the Owner's Event.
    The best possible attitude to have!
    It all passes when the loud grip is twisted, and another apex approaches...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I feel your pain. Local dealership, is $110 an hr. Thankfully all of my exposure has been very positive.

Spyder Garage

There are a number of moving parts here (not on the Spyder, but in the details). The 12K service is the first 'biggy' for Spyder. The Maintenance Schedule talks about labor-intensive things like valve adjustment, check inner bearings, replace outer seals, exhaust gaskets, and then there's the normal checks and fluid replacements. My original dealer in North Baltimore, who also sold me my Spyder, estimated the service at .... check this ... $1,800.00. Now, this was given that they'd raised their Spyder labor rate from $80.00 per hour to $120.00 per hour as of Spring 2012. Then I had them install an Elka rear shock. The final ticket was nearly $2,200.00.

Maybe the service plan was the right way to go. I didn't do it because on a car, it's usually just a profit center for the dealer. Whether auto or motorcycle, dealers don't make money on sales. They make money on SERVICE. Moving right along, the outcome of my contribution to the GDP was a a botched replacement of the valve cover gasket (meaning they didn't) incorrect install of the shock and they could never get the ASC right. They corrected the oil gasket issue straight away. Still, the loss of trust in terms of what I spent and what I got. Also, as discussed in a previous post, it looks like part of the problem was Elka , but I digress.

To raise a labor rate from $80.00 to $120.00 and then scotch a service tells me the dealer doesn't want my business (AKA Spyder business). I even say that given that it's not so much the amount, but what I get for that amount. They sell Spyders, but they also sell all the other Jap metrics plus Triumph. Spyders are their add-on, not their main line. That dealer, 28 miles north of me, is now history.

I now go to a dealer 40 miles north of me in Hanover, Pennsylvania with an $80.00 per hour labor rate, and ... lucky to say ... they are a pure Can Am/BRP house (with only Polaris ATVs as an add-on ... no other motorcycle or powersports vehicle on the premisis), and finally, their tech has the highest BRP/Can-Am certification hours in the continental US (126 hours). They probably have the best in-dealer Can Am store in the mid-atlantic. I'm not a mechanic, nor do I have the facilities at my townhome to do all my own work. Therefore, the quality of the dealer/service provider is key, and I've found that I can take a nice ride at twice the distance to get quantumly better service at more reasonable prices. While there, I met a fellow ryder who rydes over 58 miles to Hanover, when he has two Can-Am Dealers (including my old one) within closer range.

For those of us who don't or can't do all our own work, pick your dealers/mechs carefully and find references. I even take a day off from work now to get the Spyder serviced by competent technicians. I realize that not all have access to such service; I'm sorely thankful to have found my new dealership.

~ Surfer

Quote Originally Posted by daveinva View Post
    So, the good news is that my Spyder is FINALLY ready for pickup today.

Annnd, that's the good news.

The bad news? For the privilege of loaning my Spyder to the dealer for 15 days, the bill for my 14K service with new brake pads is ~$1000.

This is, frankly, insane.

Recall that I didn't do the *entire* 14K service-- I opted out of the (expensive and needless) valve check, no spark plugs replaced (replaced them on my own with Ron's), no air filter replaced (I have a Kewlmetal intake with the H&N filter), no gasket replace (I put on Goldwing gaskets ~6K miles), etc.

Basically, oil change, inspections, rear wheel bearings (maybe-- I don't know if they did it, I'll have to check) and fluid (coolant & brake) replaced. PLUS the brake pads replaced.

So, how the heck do I get over $900 on just the above? Labor's very pricey here-- $99 an hour for Spyders-- but parts is parts.

Anyway... I'm steeling myself for one helluva itemized conversation this afternoon.