Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default NOT happy with my dealer service...

So, the good news is that my Spyder is FINALLY ready for pickup today.

(Saga here: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...olling-Thunder)

Annnd, that's the good news.

The bad news? For the privilege of loaning my Spyder to the dealer for 15 days, the bill for my 14K service with new brake pads is ~$1000.

This is, frankly, insane.

Recall that I didn't do the *entire* 14K service-- I opted out of the (expensive and needless) valve check, no spark plugs replaced (replaced them on my own with Ron's), no air filter replaced (I have a Kewlmetal intake with the H&N filter), no gasket replace (I put on Goldwing gaskets ~6K miles), etc.

Basically, oil change, inspections, rear wheel bearings (maybe-- I don't know if they did it, I'll have to check) and fluid (coolant & brake) replaced. PLUS the brake pads replaced.

So, how the heck do I get over $900 on just the above? Labor's very pricey here-- $99 an hour for Spyders-- but parts is parts.

Anyway... I'm steeling myself for one helluva itemized conversation this afternoon.
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I would hope so that is a ridiculous amount of money in this economy even if it is for toys!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good Luck! I'm a bit more than just interested in how they're going to explain this amount...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've had that same experience and I also wondered if they really did the work. We pay $99 here too.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Wow, I don't know what to say. I have a policy on all my vehicles to do all work myself if at all possible if not covered under warrenty, but I know that's not practicle for everyone. Everytime I break this policy I wind up with a huge bill and/or problems with the service. Sears once charged me $150 just to tell me that they were unable to fix my car (they were supposed to fix a brake line and decided it was too difficult after they looked at it). Got into a huge fight with the service manager when I refused to pay. A boat dealership once charged me $130 to fix an idle problem on a brand new boat under full warrenty. Unless you have a trustworthy dealer almost anything can happen.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Good Luck! I'm a bit more than just interested in how they're going to explain this amount...
    Storage fee?
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I hope that they don't see all of this...
    My shop charges $50/hour for labor.
    Klinger PowerSports
    Walton, NY
    607 865 6326
    (Speak with Aaron in the Service Department.)

Spyder Garage

Unhappy

Doesn't add up. Don't care whose pencil you use. Fair is fair......this ain't fair. Period.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

That sucks.. will be doing my 14k later this summer. Will let you know how my dealer does... may be an option for you in the future..

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Very common post; Service sticker price shock...
    Just curious doesn't anyone ask how much is it gonna cost before they get the bill.? Maybe it's just me but when i had a business's every customer would ask first;What's it gonna cost...?
    My Harley dealer gives me a print out before they do the service, and you sign it before the work is done.

Spyder Garage

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    Very common post; Service sticker price shock...
    Just curious doesn't anyone ask how much is it gonna cost before they get the bill.? Maybe it's just me but when i had a business's every customer would ask first;What's it gonna cost...?
    My Harley dealer gives me a print out before they do the service, and you sign it before the work is done.
    Always ask for the closest possible guesstimate.

Spyder Garage

$110 per hour here for labor. I'm having a tire put on the back today. Last one was 149.95 for the tire and today it will be 179.95.

That said, a thourough explaination of the items might be in order for your bill.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

My Service Manager told me that to do everything BRP recommends at that service would cost near $3000. He didn't recommend the full service and we negociated a much cheaper alternative service plan.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Spyder Garage

I did get a guesstimate; it wasn't that. Hence why the conversation coming.

My dealer's expensive. Always knew that, have always been (largely) okay with paying the premium.

But after waiting over two weeks for routine service, my patience was at an end, and now seeing a price close to twice as high as I was expecting to pay... I'm, ummm, curious how their math adds up.
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Spyder Garage

Default Not happy with my sales guy....

Well so far I can't complain about the service dept at my dealer but my sales guy ?????? When I walked into the showroom to "Look" at the spyders ( who had already sold themselves to me I didn't need talking into it) he really didn't want to give me the time of day. we were ratty and worn out looking we were out on our Harleys all day and it was VERY HOT OUT ! I was TRYING to ask him questions about the RT. You could tell he didn't want to waste his time. I asked him if he could start it and show me how the features worked. Again you could tell he was anoid that I was bothering him. He told me he would start it BUT the battery was dead from sitting. Finally I just looked at him and said "If you want me to take this off your hands today you might want to be a little bit more helpful !!!!" I truly believe he didn't think my ratty @$$ could afford it !!!! It was a spur of the moment purchase on a well researched "want" If I had it to do all over again I would have been patient and just left. But we know how we get when we want it now! The service guys however so far have been great. So when people ask me where to buy there spyder I send them to a different dealer.... you should never judge a book by its cover. it still Pi$$e$ me off when I think about his attitude.
    2014 RT , Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    $110 per hour here for labor. I'm having a tire put on the back today. Last one was 149.95 for the tire and today it will be 179.95.

That said, a thourough explaination of the items might be in order for your bill.
    Wow...
    Last Friday's bill to change a tire on my bike: $54.00

Spyder Garage

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by MarkLawson View Post
    My Service Manager told me that to do everything BRP recommends at that service would cost near $3000. He didn't recommend the full service and we negociated a much cheaper alternative service plan.
    Mark, no doubt you were told that but, how they could come to that number for a 14K service is beyond me. No way, no how. At most it's a 8 hour day @ say 100 bucks an hour plus parts, including the valve check. Parts would be plugs, oil, filters, anti freeze, brake fluid and maybe valve shims.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Wow...
    Last Friday's bill to change a tire on my bike: $54.00

The $ I quoted were for the OEM tire only. Later, I will find the full cost when the labor is added. No car tire here--as usual--dealer won't install for me, and I don't want any non- techs messing with my . Unhijack: Sorry: I will use my own thread if anything gets interesting.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

BTW, one thing I do recall them mentioning when I arranged the service was the flushing the brake fluid was a "two person job."

That's the first I ever heard of such a thing, my spidey-sense was calling BS on that. Anyone know if that's true?

Spyder Garage

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by connie9003 View Post
    Well so far I can't complain about the service dept at my dealer but my sales guy ?????? When I walked into the showroom to "Look" at the spyders ( who had already sold themselves to me I didn't need talking into it) he really didn't want to give me the time of day. we were ratty and worn out looking we were out on our Harleys all day and it was VERY HOT OUT ! I was TRYING to ask him questions about the RT. You could tell he didn't want to waste his time. I asked him if he could start it and show me how the features worked. Again you could tell he was anoid that I was bothering him. He told me he would start it BUT the battery was dead from sitting. Finally I just looked at him and said "If you want me to take this off your hands today you might want to be a little bit more helpful !!!!" I truly believe he didn't think my ratty @$$ could afford it !!!! It was a spur of the moment purchase on a well researched "want" If I had it to do all over again I would have been patient and just left. But we know how we get when we want it now! The service guys however so far have been great. So when people ask me where to buy there spyder I send them to a different dealer.... you should never judge a book by its cover. it still Pi$$e$ me off when I think about his attitude.
    Went through the same thing recently when purchasing the KTM. Great dealer, great service department, pathetic sales person. When surveyed......my response was that I would continue doing business with them(have for many years) BUT, would never, ever, work with the salesperson again. Moral to the story.....don't cut the tree down because one apple has worms.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by daveinva View Post
    BTW, one thing I do recall them mentioning when I arranged the service was the flushing the brake fluid was a "two person job."

That's the first I ever heard of such a thing, my spidey-sense was calling BS on that. Anyone know if that's true?
    We keep watching on this one. Have not seen this in print that I can recall. If they try to double up on the labor because of that--all I can say is ooooooooooooooooooooooooboyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy !

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A two-person job?
    I've got to throw the Bull flag on that one...
    There's lots of brake bleeder kits that only require one human with "almost average" intelligence to run them...
    ...And I even built one out of a turkey baster!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by daveinva View Post

Unless the Spyder has some magic braking system, a container of fluid, a mityvac, and one person is all thats needed. I'm surprised some enterprising individual hasn't bought a new master cap and used a Motive pressure bleeder for the process. FYI, the bleeding process is easier (no matter what you work on) if you use ATE SuperBlue. When the fluid changes color, you know you have that line and wheel cylinder done. Next time, a switch back to gold does the same. http://thmotorsports.com/i-510372.as...FZPm7AodLwIAww
    Last edited by beanoil; 05-29-2013 at 01:22 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default NOT happy with my dealer service...

I have a service plan and they do everything on the published inspection sheets. Last month,at 28,000 miles, they did every item, including the valve Insp, front brakes and any other conceivable item and the bill was $2950. All was paid for by the service plan which covers all labor for 3 years and 6 oil changes, 6 major Insp, 2 batts, and a couple other goodies I can't remember. I won't reveal the cost , but I've got copies of all work, parts, misc, etc. Doing every single
    thing BMP has on the Inspections, I am light years ahead dollar wise and probably would have spent more than this service agreement Has cost and I have another 15 month to go on the agreement with one oil change, one batt, and two more major insp, plus any labor for tires, troubleshooting, etc
    Outstanding investment as far as I am concerned. Oh, trouble shooting for problems has been immense For several items That may have been covered by the basic two yr warranty, I'm not sure all of it would have, I never even asked. Today was 3 hours Trouble shooting on the lack of charging the iPod in the trunk and this has been covered by something, as it should be. I also have what amounts to a 5.9 yr ext warranty due to the many unknowns that seem to pop up. All this extended stuff is new to me. I only have ever bought one ext policy' in my life, 75 years and counting rapidly, and that is on the Prius we bought in 2008 that has never had claim except one of the computers at 8 months. So that money goes down the drain in a couple weeks when the 5 years is up.
    Sorry this is so long, but I wanted you to realize that there was a way to keep the cost way down, cover many of the mysteries of Spyder ownership and still get max use of our $$$. I dare say we probably saved twice the cost paid for the Mx program and the bike has been pretty much trouble free and Serviced by super technicians and parts folks and even a loaner bike when my wife couldn't pick me up. I have normally done most of my own mx on cars, trucks, bikes, whatever, but with a bunch of back fgixes, shoulder, arthritis plus being a crab, per my wife, I could see the Spyder was a challeng to my abilities so that was the original cause of concern. Now it has worked much better than ever antiscipated and I'm a happy guy. Big red and I are scheduled to be at Maggie Valley, but my wife has a neck operation this Thurs and that may cnx the trip, but I hope to be at Lamonts, regardless.
    Tuck

OK, everyone jumps on this, but remember in the beginning, where I listed the 3 year benefits and that the total contract was a whole lot less than this one invoice. I will have 46,000 miles worth of mx for a lot less than this one bill. Again, I'm not defending how they run their business, but about 45,000 miles of parts, sked and unsked mx and free tire mounting at no charge and 2 batteries, if needed, plus troubleshooting and misc make it a good deal. like I said, look at the total benefits for the 3 year period and I believe I was the winner, dollarwise. After the 3 years, I will plan on oil changes and easy stuff, assuming I can still move a wrench. Other things will be worked out to my satisfaction with these folks or others. I was born at night, but not last night!!
    Tuck
    Tuck
    Last edited by TuckMiddle; 05-29-2013 at 07:03 PM. Reason: clarification

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the validation on the brake service, I'll be sure to look to see if they charged me double labor for it.