Spyder Garage

Default 3-Wheel Basic Rider Course (3WBRC) Pros and Cons

Hello all,
    What are your pros/cons and experiences and perspectives on Motorcycle Safety Foundation's 3WBRC training?
    Thanx,
    Jon
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) ruthie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Any motorcycle (2 or 3 wheels) riding Course is great to take. I took the Trike Course with the Gold Wing Road Riders Association. GWRRA Course is not much different then the MSF one. You will enjoy the riding Course and improve your riding skills. Go for a riding Course. Oh, you don't have to have a Gold Wing Trike to take the GWRRA Trike Course, Spyders are welcome.

2014 RT SE6 Limited
    rYding Safe = Having Fun

Ruthie

Spyder Garage

Thanx Ruthie for the feedback.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Any course

Any time you can afford to take a safety course is money and time well spent IMO

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The 3-wheeler course qualifies you for 3 wheel machines only, while the 2-wheeler course qualifies you for both. FWIW, pros and cons. However, this might vary from area to area... IDK.
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by figmotoday View Post
    Hello all,
    What are your pros/cons and experiences and perspectives on Motorcycle Safety Foundation's 3WBRC training?
    Thanx,
    Jon
    I took the state sponsored basic motorcycle (2 wheel) course a few years back after my first Spyder, at the College of Lake County. Outstanding experience. Many of the things you learn can be applied to riding the Spyder, would highly recommend taking a course if not familiar with riding. You'll also get a break on your insurance after successful completion of the course. The basic rider course fills up fast though, may be difficult to find an opening now. I registered for mine very early in spring as soon as the web-site was open for registration.

Spyder Garage

Pros:
    -- If you have never ridden any motorcycle or trike, take it.
    -- If you have never had any riding training at all, take it.
    -- If your state recognizes the class and provides a DMV waiver if you pass the written and riding tests, take it.
    -- If you are on the fence about riding a Spyder and you can take the class on a Spyder, it's a great way to learn if the Spyder is right for you.

Cons:
    -- If you've had the MSF two-wheel class, a trike class is 80% redundant.
    -- Of the 20% that is unique to three wheels, most of it applies to conventional trikes (which doesn't handle like a Spyder) and sidecar hacks (which REALLY doesn't handle like a Spyder).
    -- Of all the possible vehicles (motorcycle, scooter, conventional trike, sidecar hack), a Spyder is by far the easiest to ride. If you already know how to ride two-wheels, taking a class to "learn" how to ride a Spyder is overkill. Even if you *don't* know how to ride at all, the Spyder isn't hard to learn on your own.

Now, I took a trike class and I found it worthwhile. I learned a few good things that helped me on the Spyder (how important weight shifting is in cornering being #1), and after riding an RT all weekend long I discovered that I really wanted a Spyder instead of another three-wheel vehicle, or a new motorcycle.

BUT, again, if you already know how to ride two wheels, I personally don't see a value in taking the trike class, unless you've never taken an MSF-style class before, or it's been long enough that you could use a refresher.

If you don't know how to ride at all? I'd recommend taking the MSF *two wheel* class before/in place the trike class-- after all, you learn on two wheels, you'll be able to ride a Spyder. You learn only on a Spyder, however, and you won't be able to ride two wheels.

That said, the decision is yours. No matter what, training is a good thing, and refresher training never hurts.
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Spyder Garage

I also took the GWRRA trike class last October along with some other Spyder owners. They cater to Spyders knowing the differences between the Honda and Spyder trikes as far as handling goes and how to apply the dynamics of riding each machine.

I can't take a two wheel class because of leg issues. I have a dead 650 Yamaha sitting in my garage. I don't wish to get on it even if it were in working order. It's why I pilot a Spyder.

No matter who offers a class, take one. I couldn't find a MSF course in GA so I took the GWRRA class in AL. I'll also be at the GWRRA's annual Wing Ding convention this July in Greenville, SC representing Our Spyders. Someone has to do it because BRP is not interested.

Spyder Garage

Ditto the comments that it is always good to take a well-planned safety training course... even as a refresher! I am a MSF Certified Rider Coach and every time I present a class I feel as though it is also my time to practice. Training, developing the proper technique and practice, practice, practice... or Ryde, Ryde, Ryde!!! Forming and turning good ryding skills into consistent habit prevents crashes!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

All MC training should be taken and be pre-requisite in getting endorsement. We (riders) are the final factors what will be the best training.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

Default You can always learn..!!

with all that state it is a good thing. Both you and the instructor learn. They know allot you may not have come against but not all that you have. You will always learn something regardless of how many times you go for even the instructor learn new things all the time...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

My wife could not take a 2-wheel class since she had never learned to ride a bicycle. She wanted a Spyder but I wasn't going to get one, try to teach her myself, then maybe find out she doesn't like to ride. I found a 3-wheel MSF course here in AZ, she took it on a Wing trike (rented from the instructor) and now she happily rides a Spyder. Riding on the back of my Wing for 10 years she had a good feel for motorcycling safety but riding for herself and taking the course made it all much more relevant. She and I are both glad she did it. And we now ride more, since she doesn't have to stare at the back of my big head.

Spyder Garage

I got my license on the two wheel class in August but took the 3 wheel class as well (in April) with my wife when she got her license. The three wheel class is really geared to a complete beginner even more so than the 2 wheel class. If you have been riding for any length of time or already have your license I wouldn't bother, none of the skills practice is even remotely challenging. With only 6 months of riding experience total it was just way to easy. My wife who only had a few weeks riding experience before the class also found it very easy. The only challenge is if you have the auto spyder, sometimes it can be a little harder to get it going fast enough quickly enough to get into second gear for whatever maneuver you need to perform.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My wife just completed the trike course two weeks ago. She never rode a two wheeler, doesn't like a clutch so the SE5 was the ticket on her RT. In PA the course is free and if you pass (she did) you get your endorsement on the spot. They had an RS there so I did some of the exercises with the class (2 trikes). Lots of fun and it really isn't hard to pass.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I took a 3 wheel class for TX license certification after living (and getting bit by spyder) in AZ. Even though I had ridden the spyder for some time (and many 2 wheel machines before then) I found the class to be both fun and worthwhile. I got an endorsement on my license that entitles me to drive both motorcycle and 3 wheel machines- but this may differ from place to place, so check yours before you take it down to the licensing authority. I found that the spyder handled so much better than the Honda and HD trikes and much better than the sidecar rig that was present in the class, but it was fun anyway! Go for it!

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) ruthie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cavman View Post
    . I'll also be at the GWRRA's annual Wing Ding convention this July in Greenville, SC representing Our Spyders. Someone has to do it because BRP is not interested.
    I will also be at Wing Ding as a Snyder rider. Also know of another owner from Mississippi that will be there. Need a Snyder meet up!

2014 RT SE6 Limited
    rYding Safe = Having Fun

Ruthie

Spyder Garage

the trike course was a lot more fun than the 2 wheel course

in the wheel course I took it was mainly people who had been riding for a long time but didnt have a license and needed to get one so they were doing some crazy stuff and the instructors were drawn to doing things with them versus focusing on the purpose of the course

the trike course was just pure fun - I learned about the nuances of a trike (including sidecars), the people in the course were all there to learn,etc, etc
    1. it is what it is - 2014 Black RT-S - Baja Ron Anti-Sway bar, lots of LEDs, Spyderpops Skid Plate, Twisted Sister HID Driving Lights, Tricled 2nd, 3rd & 4th brake lights, F4 Customs vented windshield, Lamonster highway pegs, Ultimate Tall Boy seat, Utopia backrest

Spyder Garage

Default trike class

Quote Originally Posted by Cavman View Post
    I also took the GWRRA trike class last October along with some other Spyder owners. They cater to Spyders knowing the differences between the Honda and Spyder trikes as far as handling goes and how to apply the dynamics of riding each machine.

I can't take a two wheel class because of leg issues. I have a dead 650 Yamaha sitting in my garage. I don't wish to get on it even if it were in working order. It's why I pilot a Spyder.

No matter who offers a class, take one. I couldn't find a MSF course in GA so I took the GWRRA class in AL. I'll also be at the GWRRA's annual Wing Ding convention this July in Greenville, SC representing Our Spyders. Someone has to do it because BRP is not interested.
    John,
    Earl Small has the MSF class and it's super. They actually did their first trike experienced rider course one weekend before the GW folks cranked up over in Alpharetta. There just was a MSF course couple months ago and I think it had 5 Spyders and one Harley. They did it in Cartersville. Ray Earl is totally devoted to training and does a great job, as do the GW folks. The course is not an initial and since GA doesn't require a 3 wheeled license, I think the courses are a necessity for the new folks that only have the two wheel course to get the endorsement.
    The Goldwing mag had a nice article about the Spyders in it a couple months ago and of course welcomed owners to attend a class. They were very direct ref the endorsement of the Spyder handling and spcifically mentioned other trikes that they would not train in their classes.
    Thanks for bringing up the GA training possibilities.

Tuck