Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Full face or 3/4 Helmet

so what do most of you use for a helmet?

I bought a ST3 but I dont think I will like it much.

If touring, which do you prefer... Full face helmets, or 3/4?

Spyder Garage

Default choices, choices..!!

Done this several times..we use the HJC modular helmets with the scala G9 audio system. In town warm weather ryde with the face open freeway cold weather face down. My wife and I are very happy with this set up. There are other threads on the subject..check them out....good luck..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Ride Forrest Ride!
    Spyder Garage

I use both, full and 3/4.. on long rides. be it full for rain, cold and strong gusty dusty winds. 3/4 for med warm to hot.
    Of course it depends on my carrying capacity, no trailer I then take the full otherwise I take both.

Spyder Garage

Cool Best of Both Worlds!

I too have gone between open face and modular helmets until recently. I purchased a Nolan N43E Trilogy helmet that has a removable chin bar that locks into place. I am sure it is not quite as strong as an integrated chin bar but it allows me to quickly convert the helmet to open faced "bucket" in a matter of seconds. It also has a built-in retractable sun visor which is a nice feature. It is configured to allow for easy installation of bluetooth headsets (I chose the Sena SM5 over the very pricy Nolan model). It worked so well for me I ordered a matching one for my wife. We both love the versatility and can ride in all weather conditions without worrying about having chosen the wrong helmet for the ride.

Registered Users Grandpa Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I own half, 3/4 and full face. When traveling I use 3/4 when riding local half and in the winter full face. But if you want safety and don't mind sweating go full face. I like 3/4 when traveling with face shield because you never know what kind of weather you are going to be in.
    Grandpa Spyder 2015 F3S
    May God Bless All Of those Who Serve Our Country

Life is Good

Link to all of my Mods with pictures, http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-with-pictures

Spyder Garage

I like the full face for the protection. When riding in city traffic I just flip the face shield up to stay cooler. I just purchased this new modular helmet from HJC (new model this year), and really like the quality compared to other HJC helmets that I've owned. This helmet is a nice helmet and is lightweight, solid and has decent wind noise protection. I like that because my GS has the shorty sport windshield with no wind protection. I do like the airflow to stay cooler, it's just the wind noise that can be bothersome. If I ever decide to buy an RT, I would like to try the ST3 helmet from BRP as an alternative choice for second helmet. http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/h...x-align-helmet

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Yes buy one that is convertible.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

HelmetImpactChart_zpse4dbd104.jpg
    I'll stick with the full-face protection; thank you...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

We both have the Nolan N-43 (6 in 1) also, with Scala G-9. We use the 3/4 configuration mostly, but keep the chin guards in the frunk. The helmet works well for us.

Spyder Garage

Default Nolan N43

My wife and I bought Nolan N43 Triology helmets with intrgrated J&M Elite headsets. We are very satisfied with that setup. A word of caution on sizing. They seemed really tight and hard to get on at first but broke in after a few road trips and are very comfortable, quiet and stable when riding.

Spyder Garage

In answer to your question....

"How much do you value your chin?"
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

In the South with extreme heat and humidity it's always a toss up between protection from the road hazards and protection from heat stroke. Having said that I wear a SHOEI RF1100 full face for high speed highway travel (great ventilation) and a 3/4 carbon fiber HD with no face shield but goggles for around town or back roads travel ( lower speed, or local trips). In the winter its the Full Face SHOEI 100% of the time. Everything is a compromise and you have to make a personal choice.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

+1 for the Nolan N43E Trilogy. I previously used a Scorpion modular. But in the 3/4 configuration it didn't have a face shield (except the sun visor). With the Nolan, I have a full-face (I'll use it in the cold weather), open face, 3/4 with face shield. I also tried out a Shark modular that had the chin bar that would raise to the back of the head and retained the face shield.

Beides the features I liked, the Nolan fits best, too.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by effgjamis View Post
    I use both, full and 3/4.. on long rides. be it full for rain, cold and strong gusty dusty winds. 3/4 for med warm to hot.Of course it depends on my carrying capacity, no trailer I then take the full otherwise I take both.
    I agree with this strategy. It works great!
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DoggyDaddy View Post
    I too have gone between open face and modular helmets until recently. I purchased a Nolan N43E Trilogy helmet that has a removable chin bar that locks into place. I am sure it is not quite as strong as an integrated chin bar but it allows me to quickly convert the helmet to open faced "bucket" in a matter of seconds. It also has a built-in retractable sun visor which is a nice feature. It is configured to allow for easy installation of bluetooth headsets (I chose the Sena SM5 over the very pricy Nolan model). It worked so well for me I ordered a matching one for my wife. We both love the versatility and can ride in all weather conditions without worrying about having chosen the wrong helmet for the ride.
    +1 just got an N43e and love it
    2013 ST-S SE Pure Magnesium

Spyder Garage

What's the point of protecting the top of your head if you're not going to protect the bottom?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pro10is View Post
    What's the point of protecting the top of your head if you're not going to protect the bottom?
    Chins are easier to fix than brains.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

I use Scorpion 900's as they are convertible from full face to 3/4 face. I wear full face until the weather gets too hot then take the chin bar off and snap on the sun bill. It has a drop down sunvisor to protect my eyes from stones and bugs and even showers since I wear glasses. There are many OPINIONS and just as many know it all's so make your own choice after weighing all of the options.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pro10is View Post

Not because I'm so pretty ; but because I enjoy chewing my food!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Exclamation

Without getting graphic. You do not have to fall off your bike to sustain an injury. Once witnessed a Wing rider in stop and go traffic fail to stop in time. He was wearing a 3/4 helmet when his face met 'his' windshield. I did what I could for him until paramedics arrived. Folks it's all about choices......and those are best weighed with experience. Not preaching here. It's your head.
    Last edited by Jeriatric; 05-30-2013 at 11:10 PM.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Schuberth C3 modulars here with built in bluetooth system.....I'm too smugly to mess this mug up anymore...wifey is too purdy to risk messing that up. Its been a while since the last helmet thread which always leads to the debate.
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Spyder Garage

Default Modular helments

Best of both worlds /check these out

https://www.leatherup.com/l/Hawk-Helmets/3159.html
    Tricled lights front fenders,running lights truck,spyderpos block off plate and stainless grills , Baja Ron's sway bar, smoothe spyderBelt tensioner , tricled silver spyder on trunk lid
    Siver Spyder on helment
    Web boards and tredwear tire graphics state of Missouri

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DoggyDaddy View Post
    I just ordered the same helmet for the wife and I this weekend. She liked the comfort and the removeable chin bar as well. Cant wait to try mine out.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks... Sounds like I should try on a N43 somewhere before finalizing with the chin guard. I like to eat too, but I do see a lot of people on the road who must not like to.
    I liked the look of the Bell Mag9 Sena version as well.

Apologies if this thread has been done before. The search box brought up nothing, but I assumed it would a common thread.

Spyder Garage

From a safety standpoint--the full face is the way to go. Unfortunately, you never know when you are going to need the protection. Stuff happens and we just don't know when.

I have both full face helmets--a pair of Nolan full face 103's, as well as a pair of the 3/4 Nolan N43's. One with the removable chin bar and one without the chin bar. I usually wear the full face when going on rydes that are more than local, but like the N43 on other rydes. Akspyderlady is claustrophobic when it comes to full face--so her helmet of choice is the N43.

I am aware that most accidents happen within a radius of 20 miles or so from home. I am also aware that we make choices for what we are going to do concerning the safety gear we put on each time. I am a believer of ATGATT. All the gear, all the time.

A tough subject and we will see as many opinions as there are posts. This one is my .02.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red