Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Windshield cleaner

Good Morning everyone,
    is there some special cleaner I need to use or should I just use some Iso Alcohol? Any helpful ideas is appreciated.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I use a an automotive glass cleaner that is safe for Lexan & window tinting film. Cannot use ammonia based cleaners windex. I use a clean microfiber cloth to wipe the windshield

Spyder Garage

I wouldn't use any product with alcohol or ammonia. Plain water is probably the best. Some people use hydrogen peroxide for the buggs. I use Windex Multipurpose with Vinegar successfully on all my windshields. Some swear by Pledge or similar products, but they leave a sheen for me that causes raibows when viewed with polarized glasses. Non-abrasive products made for plastics or aircraft windshields, such as Plexus, work well. I like the one Cee Bailey markets.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Same Windex used here!

Spyder Garage

Microfine cloth and Honda polish... keeps your windshield clean and scratch free!

JT

Spyder Garage

I keep a micro fiber cloth and a spray can of Plexus Plastic Cleaner in the rear cargo trunk all the time, Quick wipe after each ride keeps the windshield and the entire front end nice and clean.

Plexus.jpg

Kraig
    2012 RT SE5
    2010 RT-622 trailer
    2013 Triump Bonneville T100
    1971 Honda CT70
    1972 Honda CT70H

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Cleaning windshields

Windex or half hydrogen peroxide and water works great.

Spyder Garage

Default clean windshield

I use the half water half hydrogen peroxide for bugs and just soap and water when I clean the whole machine.

Indian Land, SC (30 miles S of Charlotte, NC) was Spotsylvania, VA
    Spyder Garage

I use Honda Spray Polish on everything on the Spyder including windshield. Similar to Plexis and cheaper.
    HokieV

2015 RTS Intense Red Pearl (New Jan. 2016) - Comfort Heated Seat w/Backrest, Custom Dynamics HMT Brake Light, superbrightled.com Brake Light Strobe, TricLED fender lights w/Blinker Module & Turn Signal Strips, Stebel Nautilus Horn, FOBO TPMS, Spydercuff, Dual USB outlet, Bike Barn.

Previous - 2011 RT Limited.

Spyder Garage

I use both Plexus and Honda Cleaner & Polish.
    2014 Timeless Black RTS/SE - BRP CB/Comm System; BRP Zumo 660 GPS System; BRP Cellphone Interface; BRP ST-1 Helmets w/BRP Headsets; BRP XM Radio; BRP Tri-Axis Handlebars; BRP Adj Wind Deflectors; BRP Adj Vent Windshield; BRP Comfort Seat & Utopia Backrest; Corbin Armrests; HMT Brake Light; TricLED 3/4 Brake & Running Lights; TricLED Fender Lights & Rr Cargo Lights; CD Fender TIPS Kit; Bump Skid; Scorpio i900 Alarm; Touratech GPS Locking Mount; NBV Highway Mounts; BBP Brake Pedal, Stebel horn.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Cleaning Windshields: No Windex, No Ammonia, No Paper Towels

"Do not clean acrylic or polycarbonate screens with common glass cleaners. The solvent action of the alcohol or ammonia will destroy the plastic." National Cycle http://www.nationalcycle.com/WhyBuy/chapter6.html

"Never clean a motorcycle windshield with traditional glass cleaner. Products containing ammonia or alcohol will damage Plexiglas windshields on contact. Do not use paper products, such as paper towels, on a motorcycle windshield. Paper products contain wood fibers that will create fine scratches on the surface of the windshield." How to Clean a Plexiglas Windshield on a Motorcycle | eHow http://www.ehow.com/how_4811857_clea...#ixzz2UWCC2vn8

"Have you ever noticed those windshields that look as if something is scratching or flaking off on them? Chances are, you're looking at a windshield that's been cleaned with an ammonia-based product like Windex. Ammonia-based cleaners and Lexan windshields do not go together. Windex is meant to be used on glass and glass only." http://www.thunderingeaglemotorsports.com/MotorcycleWindshieldCare.php

"...avoid glass-cleansing agents such as Windex, or petroleum-based chemicals such as Rain-X and Armor All -- the solvent action of the alcohol in these products can be harmful to some shields." http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/tech/windshield_care_cleaning/#ixzz2UWE351Cs

"Do not use Lock tite, ammonia, bleach, Windex, Rain X, or any other type of kitchen cleaning products." http://www.ceebaileys.com/cycle/windshieldcare.html

"The original equipment Honda Gold Wing GL1500 and GL1800 windshield is made of hard coated polycarbonate. Most other manufacturers shields are the same. While polycarbonate is great stuff, if you use cleaner containing alcohol or ammonia (including Windex® or Pledge®), you start softening the hard coating , exposing the windshield to greater tendency to scratches or pitting. Windex, Pledge and other alcohol-based household cleaners work great on glass, but aren't meant for synthetics. WARNING: Do not use Rain-X® on any coated windshield!" http://www.allamericanprod.com/hints.html
    Last edited by OldCowboy; 05-27-2013 at 01:38 PM. Reason: Correct font size.

Spyder Garage

I have been waiting to try the hyrodgen peroxide. Now that the bugs are out--I am going to give that a try.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I use Detailer's Pro Plex-All and a microfiber towel. It's about half the price of Plexus and performs just as well IMHO. It comes out of the can as a light foam, so you get good coverage with a small amount. A 19 oz can will cost you $10-13, but will last a LONG time.

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Don't forget ....

Good ole soap and water with a soft cloth works just fine and is almost free

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    Good ole soap and water with a soft cloth works just fine and is almost free
    Too bad it doesn't come in a spray can that won't leak in the trunk... I have a hard time finding rinse water and my shammy when I'm on the road. Honda Cleaner not only cleans every surface, it protects the finish but it ain't free.

JT

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Place a wet microfiber cloth on the windshield if it has lots of hard bug residue and let it sit for ten min or so then wipe off. Works great. When wiping dont use too much pressure as the bug exoskeleton is very hard and abrasive.

Spyder Garage

I carry an old windex bottle filled with RO water with a teaspoon of dishwashing liquid mixed in and microfibre cloths. At each fuel stop if needed I give it a shot and wipe the bugs and dirt off.

J. D.
    2016 F3T Magnesium Metalic : Smooth Spyder Dual Backrest, Lamonster LED Head lights and Fog lights

Spyder Garage

Default Re: Windshield cleaner

The Wizards Mist n Shine works great as well and is pretty inexpensive. It is for plastic. I carry a small bottle with me all the time...

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Name: Eric Heims
    Red 2016 RTS, Diamond R Armrests, Ram X Mount, Doc Humphreys Dampener, BajaRon Swaybar, Spyderpops "Critter Splitter"

"It is the common fate of the indolent to see their rights become a prey to the active. The condition upon which God hath given liberty to man is eternal vigilance; which condition if he break, servitude is at once the consequence of his crime and the punishment of his guilt." John Philpot Curran 1790

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

A wet (saturated) towel works great. Just leave it on there a few minutes viola bugs gone.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

When the shield is covered with bugs, I always leave a well soaked towel draped over it over night... followed in the morning by Pleaxus cleaner for a wonderfully clean surface to see through.

Spyder Garage

I use a gallon regular blue auto windshield cleaner for 32+ degree and a gallon yellow auto windshield cleaner for bugs. Then I mix them 50/50 and use a spray bottle and soft windshield cleaning rag. I spray on the mix and let it for sit for a few minutes and bugs comes off without rubbing hard. I got this mix from a motorcycle windshield manufacture That's IMHO.

Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MikeinGA View Post
    I use a gallon regular blue auto windshield cleaner for 32+ degree and a gallon yellow auto windshield cleaner for bugs. Then I mix them 50/50 and use a spray bottle and soft windshield cleaning rag. I spray on the mix and let it for sit for a few minutes and bugs comes off without rubbing hard. I got this mix from a motorcycle windshield manufacture That's IMHO.

Mike
    That sounds interesting. I think I'll try it.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cpdblegl View Post
    When the shield is covered with bugs, I always leave a well soaked towel draped over it over night... followed in the morning by Pleaxus cleaner for a wonderfully clean surface to see through.
    Same way I have always done it. No scratches and a nice clear shield.

Spyder Garage

Default Go with the Honda cleaner

Quote Originally Posted by jthornton View Post
    Microfine cloth and Honda polish... keeps your windshield clean and scratch free!

JT
    I use the Honda cleaner as well, it works well on the windshield, really it works good on every part of the spyder

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dliles6254 View Post
    I use the Honda cleaner as well, it works well on the windshield, really it works good on every part of the spyder
    Yep, I use it on everything except rubber and leather (seat, tires, grips).

JT