Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default I hate Rolling Thunder...

... because my Spyder is STILL in the shop.

I live close enough to the Pentagon that it's been non-stop bikes all morning long. All weekend long, of course-- went into town last night for dinner and saw hundreds all around.

The weekend is absolutely beautiful, it's sunny and crisp and perfect.

And my Spyder is STILL in the shop, and as of this coming Tuesday will have been for two full weeks, for routine 14K service.

I feel like a child again, when the ice cream truck would chime down my block only I ain't got no money.

Anyway, probably going to head down the Pentagon lot after breakfast to look at happy people getting to ride today.

Oh well. At least there's Arrested Development today!

Happy Memorial Day, everyone!
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cool If i were you, I'd be hating my dealer...

Quote Originally Posted by daveinva View Post
    ... because my Spyder is STILL in the shop.

And my Spyder is STILL in the shop, and as of this coming Tuesday will have been for two full weeks, for routine 14K service.
    My 14k mx done by appointment...in at 0930 out at 1500. Sorry your's is taking so long. Hope your weekend is great, otherwise.
    2016 F3-L Special Series? Mods: Lamonster IPS end caps w/ Gripper 3rd pegs, GPS mount, Power Plate, Perf. Muffler; Backoff Brake Light Strobe; CD Front (amber/red) Brightsides & Tip Kit; ISCI Flag Holder w/Long Poles; BRP Signature Light, Aux Lights, Saddlebag Liners, Garmin 590 GPS; TricLED foam Grips, LEDs (Aux/headlights); Pitbull Driving Lights; RDL seat; Ultimate backrest

Previous ryde: 2012 RT-L, 26,636 miles on it when traded; 2014 RT-L, 34,147 miles on it when traded

Spyder Garage

Why is it taking 2 weeks for service?
    If you ryde like there's no tomorrow, there won't be any
    Accidents hurt - safety doesn't

Spyder Garage

Default Bummer..!!

Maybe time to locate alternate shop. Most shops can tell you, within reason, how long till they get to you and flat rate dictates how long it takes. Always check ahead the mileage is a reference more or less makes no difference. Hope can mingle and enjoy anyway...we maybe able to ryde but we are not there...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Appointments?

I've seen a few posts like this? Probably a stupid question but why not make an appointment and plan around that?

Spyder Garage

For the record:

1. There are two "local" dealers in the Washington, D.C. area. They're both owned by Coleman Powersports, which in addition to Can-Am Spyders and Sea-Doos also service every non-HD bike model (that is by far their core business, so it's not like they live or die based on BRP service).

2. One is super-convenient to my house (Coleman Falls Church), just four miles from my house. The other, Coleman Woodbridge, is 22 miles. The next nearest BRP dealers are all over 50 miles away.

3. However, neither Coleman location works by appointment. First come, first serve, you wait in the queue until their Spyder techs get to you.

4. I dropped my Spyder off on Tuesday 14 May for the 14K service. Not the entire service, mind you-- I didn't want the valve check, didn't need new plugs or air filter (I replaced both recently), etc. Pretty much just oil change and inspections, PLUS-- and here's where I done goofed-- I mentioned that I likely needed new brake pads. The dealer said that Tuesday there were only three Spyders ahead of me in line, I should have my Spyder back before that weekend. I didn't expect to get it back, but hey, that would have been a bonus.

5. The following Tuesday, 21 May, they call to tell me all the service is done, but that I need new brake pads. Ummm, yeah, I figured, which is why I told them I needed new pads when I dropped it off. However, since they didn't look at the Spyder until that Tuesday, they didn't confirm for themselves that I needed new pads until then.

The kicker, however, was that they then needed to order new brake pads. How something like brake pads are not considered a routine wear item they'd have on hand in stock, I have no clue, but the bad news then was "Oh, it'll be 3 to 5 days until we get them in."

Why they couldn't have ordered the brake pads when I dropped off the Spyder to have them ready if I needed them-- or hand for the *next* Spyder that inevitably needed new ones-- I have no freakin' clue.

So, anyway, then I knew it wouldn't be until *this* weekend, Memorial Day weekend, that I'd have a chance to get my Spyder out of jail. Well, Saturday came and went, and they're closed today and tomorrow, so it'll be Tuesday *at least* before I get the bike back.

Again, for routine service.

Anyway, I've never really complained about Coleman before. Some people have had bad luck with them, I've had nothing but GREAT luck with them. I just always knew this was their modus operandi-- no appointments, a crapshoot for how long it takes them to do anything. Three days, a week, who knows?

But this is probably my last straw. I hate the thought of never going back to them-- FOUR MILES FROM MY HOUSE, people! The GF just picks me up after I drop off the bike, it's sooo convenient!-- but the only way they're going to learn this stuff is unacceptable is by taking my business elsewhere (and letting them know that I'm doing so). I hate the thought of riding 100+ roundtrip miles for an oil change, but I know dealers outside of the D.C. area work on appointments (I used Trumbull Motorsports in Mechanicsville, MD, last year to do an oil change and install my footboards and highway pegs, they did everything same day while I waited).

It's just very, very frustrating. I can't beat the location, I've never been less than 100% satisfied with the quality of their service... it's just the timeliness that's unsatisfactory. It'd be one thing if there was a weird *problem* with my Spyder, something that stumped the tech. But for a Spyder that isn't just a toy but also my daily driver, I can't go without a vehicle for two weeks at a time for a freakin' oil change.
    Last edited by daveinva; 05-26-2013 at 12:01 PM.
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Spyder Garage

Default service appt

the dealers here in the N.C. and S.C. area don't take appts for service you need to drop it off and when its ready they will call ya it is normal for 10 days - to two weeks to get it done not enough Techs for spyders in this area ?

Spyder Garage

Default bummer

thank goodness we have a dedicated dealer in NCC De...J & J powersports in Elesmere...always good fast service ....
    Last edited by chipshotin; 05-26-2013 at 12:40 PM. Reason: trip log didnt load properly

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Phyxius's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Bummer! I was planning to go but I'm working today (taking a little break to visit SL and post this.)

I've had service done at Pete's Cycles in Baltimore, they sounds similar to Coleman's but the service takes a couple hours not a couple weeks. (70 miles one way for me)

I've also had service done at Trumbull and once my pre-paid services are done at Pete's I'll be using Trumbull only. If the weather is nice it can be a fun drive own to Trumbull. You can make that 50 mile ride closer to 75 and take a bunch of backroads. (30 miles one way for me)

I got out yesterday but don't think I'll be able to leave today.
    -Christina
    2012 RT-S Blue
    Photographer and horse rider.
    2012 RT , Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The next time that this is looming; confirm with the service guy what parts will be needed before you let go of his throat and make sure that he's got theem on the sheet of stuff for ordering. Then; tell him exactly why you're acting so "unreasonable" about this whole situation...
    Then; go see the manager, or better yet, the owner and let them know that you want your bike back yesterday!
    Sometimes the squeakiest wheel gets greased first...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That really sucks
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default I hate Rolling Thunder...

Totally unacceptable!
    I've learned some dealers will just drag their feet if you are too casual about when you need it back. I give them a firm date when I drop it off and tell them I must have the Spyder back no later than such and such date,etc.

Been awhile since I've had one in for service, but I would have gone and taken the Spyder back from them after the first week.

Good luck!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

At last count I've done Rolling Thunder 13 times and worked as a volunteer on the Viet Nam Vets Wall assisting visitors who needed to know the location of a name that meant something to them...Was stationed at the Pentagon for 7 years..2 different tours and worked as an assistantant all of the 7 years...Got to ride a few of them...If you go MAKE SURE You visit the VFW in Arlington, right off I-66 after the event ends in DC...This is where all the folks who put together the ceremonies meet up for a free BBQ and lots of brotherhood. Here's a link to the post...If you get the chance tell them that Larry from the Chained Eagles in Ohio refered you...They treat you like royalty... https://www.facebook.com/VFWPost3150

Spyder Garage

I have also complained about 's being held hostage for days at some dealers. My dealer is not one of them. The other dealer is. If I were to lose my dealer, I would no longer be a owner. The season is way to short here for the to spend weeks in the shop.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default I understand your pain but

I can feel your pain clear down here. But can not understand why in the h@@@ it takes 14+ days to do a service unless they found a broken whatchamacallit and the thingamajig was worn out. They better give you a big discount for inconvenience and hardship for taking so long. That is ridiculous to say the least and they are probably the only dealer for 100 square miles too!a

Spyder Garage

Thanks all for listening to my venting, I appreciate it.

I understand why my dealer runs the business the way they do. There really aren't many non-HD dealers around here, which given the number of bikes on the road here never fails to surprise me. So, Coleman's got a near-monopoly on the sport and Japanese bike crowd for this area. And, of course, with so few BRP dealers around here, they have a *total* monopoly on the Spyder service.

Trouble is, every time I think they're getting enough business to hire another tech or something, they've got all the work backed up for their *non* Spyder bikes, which again is probably 95% of their service. It'd be one thing if they were a BRP-only dealer, but they make plenty of $$$ using their bays for other bikes.

I knew I was going to be in trouble dropping it off so close to Memorial Day, I knew they'd have plenty of bike-- and PWC!-- business coming up to this weekend. I just foolishly thought two weeks was enough time. Oh well!

But yeah, if I ever do use them again, I'm going to call ahead a *week* before I drop off the bike to ensure they've got all the parts. PITA, but it may be the only way to deal with it. That said, at a minimum I plan on speaking to the owner to express my frustration. I don't expect special treatment here, just *good* treatment.

Fauquier County VA - Virginia's most carefully pronounced county.
    Spyder Garage

Dave, my dealer is FMS in Fredericksburg. They do appointments. So far I've had good luck and have waited while the work was done.
    2012 RT Limited - Pearl White

My Mods -
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?39494-DR-Buck-s-2012-RT-Limited-Mods
    2012 RT Limited , Full size brake peddel White w/Red Highlights

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DR Buck View Post
    Dave, my dealer is FMS in Fredericksburg. They do appointments. So far I've had good luck and have waited while the work was done.
    Yeah, I've been down that way to visit FMS. Fredericksburg is such a hike from up here, though, especially with summer weekend traffic on I-95 (Saturday mornings are nearly as bad as Friday nights).

But I may just resort to doing that... thanks for the advice!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Littlebadwolf View Post
    .Was stationed at the Pentagon for 7 years.
    Good Lord! I was in 23 years but when it looked like my next set of orders was going to be either unaccompanied to Seoul, Korea, or more probably, the Pentagon, I decided to retire. I had occasionally had to take the CINCLANT helo up from Norfolk before and saw enough on those visits to know that I would go nuts in the "Puzzle Palace" and my wife and kids would probably leave me for someone who had a respectable job (like piano player in a cathouse). Hats off to you, brother.

Spyder Garage

wow..my dealer does appointments, as do my Suzuki and BMW dealers. I don't think that operating the OP's dealer does would cut it very long around here. A good service dept understands and manages their backlog. I know my dealer gets a backlog on routine stuff this time of year but make an appointment and it is done same day.

Spyder Garage

I still suggest Hanover Powersport in PA. Ryan is the best and does whatever it takes .... One day you will see the light ;-P Great prices and will schedule. If you take the hike, I will ride with you up there. It is a nice ride up 27...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I second the opinion that Trumbull Motorsports in Southern Maryland is the place to go. Great service and staff and the only thing you will find with wheels there is made by Canam. They are also a Canam platinum dealer with parts in stock and on display.

It is a small business and you will deal directly with the owner. I Have been very pleased with them in every way.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MountainSeaDog View Post
    Good Lord! I was in 23 years but when it looked like my next set of orders was going to be either unaccompanied to Seoul, Korea, or more probably, the Pentagon, I decided to retire. I had occasionally had to take the CINCLANT helo up from Norfolk before and saw enough on those visits to know that I would go nuts in the "Puzzle Palace" and my wife and kids would probably leave me for someone who had a respectable job (like piano player in a cathouse). Hats off to you, brother.
    Thanks...The 2 tours there were both the best...and the worst of my career but gave me the opportunity to really see D.C for what it is...The Capitol of our country. The place is absolutely amazing..Words can't describe how I felt about visiting all the historic sites including those not far from D.C...Like Gettysburg, Antietam, Manassas...You're also exposed to some of the best and worst people of our country...Overall it was a truly amazing time of my career.

Spyder Garage

Default Why use a dealer

Roll up your sleeves and do it yourself. Its not that hard. Then You don't have a beef.
    Don't just dream the dream! Live the dream! Sent from my coconut using tap-a-nut. Spyderlovers Southern-Most Member.

Spyder Garage

Dave

I feel your pain with Coleman's in Fall Church and they are my nearest dealer, 10 miles from work. It took them 19 day to replace a valve cover gasket that was leaking oil on my Spyder. It was several days to look at the Spyder, had to order the gasket which took a week to arrive and then several days to install the gasket after it arrived.

I like Coleman's for some of their online sales and state inspections but I will be traveling elsewhere for major repairs and service. I have used Fredericksburg Motor Sports before but I will probably be making the 80 mile one trip to Virginia Power Motor Sports (VPMS) in Ruckersville, VA. VPMS takes appointments and I would rather take a nice 160 mile roundtrip ride to get my Spyder back as quickly as possible.

Good Luck
    Last edited by YIRYDE; 05-27-2013 at 09:44 AM.
    [B]

2018 Intense Red F3T (See About Me under My Profile for mods)
    2010 Timeless Black RT-622 Trailer
    2014 Timeless Black RTS-SE6, 34,300 Miles, traded May 2019
    2011 Timeless Black RTS-SE5, 15,180 Miles, traded April 2014