Thread: DPS Fault

Spyder Garage

Default DPS Fault

Rode 280 miles today 2010 rt se-5 a/c had a DPS fault going and coming went in limp ,mode had to shutdown bike pull key and walk off to clear . How do I pull up the fault codes. DPS was replaced under warranty less than 1000 miles ago.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by neelbert View Post
    Rode 280 miles today 2010 rt se-5 a/c had a DPS fault going and coming went in limp ,mode had to shutdown bike pull key and walk off to clear . How do I pull up the fault codes. DPS was replaced under warranty less than 1000 miles ago.
    Hey Neelbert, I have a 2013 RT SE5 but to see the fault code, I have to hold down (MODE and SET) same time then while I have them down, I tap in the turn-signal. I have tried it during my initial day of having the bike, though not code as expected. I was also told that if you turn of the key, the code may not be there, it will be saved for the technician to pull up. I may be wrong. I already planned that if I do go into LIMP mode, I would pull off, > neutral > Park > and immediately check the code and write it down or take a snap of the screen before turning off the keys..

I am not sure your 2010 is the same, but I found my info in my manual that evening.

Good luck.

Hobbicam

Spyder Garage

There are a number of things that can cause this. A low or bad battery, or a bad connection can, because the DPS is the largest single electrical draw on th Spyder outside the starter. If you were doing some long curves, or had a strong side wind, the steering sensor mismatch could have simply timed out. Another possibility is steering sensors that need zeroing. Also, believe it or not, your foot could just have been riding the brake. The fault codes may tell the tale, but only the active codes will show. Past codes have to be called up by your dealer with BUDS.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default DPS fault

Hey, late to this topic, but just had an issue this week.

2012 RT A&C with 9,500 miles. Riding home 2 nights ago and after about 15 minutes of highway, got the check engine lite, the light with the squiglies behind the three tires, the limp mode warning and ultimately the handlebars in orange and the "Check DPS" message.

Stopped the bike, checked all fluids and then started back up and drove home with no further messages. Today, rode it around a bit in town and no messages. Got on the highway and again, 15 minutes into the ride same series of messages from 2 days ago. Stopped bike and started again, and messages gone.

Ideas? Appreciate any help, as I'm figuring I need to take it in vs the planned road trip this weekend.

Spyder Garage

You just won the grand prize!

Couple of problems. #1-battery issues. Weak battery. Loose/dirty connections. Loose ground.
    #2-Loose relay or bad relay.
    #3-Display module is going bad.

Is the bike still under warranty? If so, take it to the dealer. Did you try to pull up any codes?

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Default DPS fault

Quote Originally Posted by bruiser View Post
    You just won the grand prize!

Couple of problems. #1-battery issues. Weak battery. Loose/dirty connections. Loose ground.
    #2-Loose relay or bad relay.
    #3-Display module is going bad.

Is the bike still under warranty? If so, take it to the dealer. Did you try to pull up any codes?
    I drove it home tonight with no issues. I'll check battery connections, but assume those are fine as it starts and runs fine. I have appointment to drop at dealer this weekend. I'd rather take road trip.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default DPS

Quote Originally Posted by neelbert View Post
    My 2010 rt se5 did the same this weekend , 4 times

I did pull out all the fuses in the front and install them back and drove 300 milles and no problems.