Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Trailer Hitch Fender

Well I didn't measure enough to realize the tire is not in the center of the hitch so I have to make a new bracket but that won't take long now that I know more about what I didn't know before. And the different angles make more sense to me now... funny how things can confuse you when the part is not in situ.

Mockup...

RS-622 Fender 01.jpgRS-622 Fender 02.jpg

JT
    Last edited by jthornton; 05-24-2013 at 03:54 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jthornton View Post
    Well I didn't measure enough to realize the tire is not in the center of the hitch so I have to make a new bracket but that won't take long now that I know more about what I didn't know before. And the different angles make more sense to me now... funny how things can confuse you when the part is not in situ.

Mockup...

RS-622 Fender 01.jpgRS-622 Fender 02.jpg

JT

That be alooking very nice. Are you building one of's or are you making the needed adjustments for producing lots of them and selling them retail???
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IGETAROUND View Post

That be a looking very nice. Are you building one off's or are you making the needed adjustments for producing lots of them and selling them retail???
    For now I'm making a 1 off. If there is interest I could consider making the dies to bend the bracket. I think the problem would be the fender. The one I used I had to cut into 5 parts then weld the two parts together that I wanted as the inside edge on trailer fenders are flat. So to get a radius edge on both sides I had to weld two outside edges together.

I'll have to do more research on fenders.

Edit: I think I have found a fender that would work without modification so it would be practical to make.

JT
    Last edited by jthornton; 05-25-2013 at 06:06 AM.

Spyder Garage

I redesigned the mounting bracket to a more pleasing shape and got the fender centered up on the tire. I used my 50 ton press where I could and clinked the radius in and in some cases where I could not get into the bender I just used backup blocks and a hammer. Next up finish up the welding on the fender and mount it.

RS-622 Fender 03.jpgRS-622 Fender 04.jpgRS-622 Fender 05.jpgRS-622 Fender 06.jpg

JT

Spyder Garage

Default Hitch fender interest

Put me on the interested list if you're considering becoming a sponsor and offering them here.

If anyone else is interested you might like this post so he has a feel for level of interest.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    Put me on the interested list if you're considering becoming a sponsor and offering them here.

If anyone else is interested you might like this post so he has a feel for level of interest.
    Thanks, it would be nice to know if there is enough interest to pursue this.

A couple more shots showing the fender installed.
    RS-622 Fender 07.jpgRS-622 Fender 08.jpg

JT

Spyder Garage

My biggest question is how many feel they could install something like this. They would have to position the assembly, remove the fender from the bracket, remove the hitch then drill 4 holes in the hitch. Then reassemble.

How many would feel comfortable installing something like this?

Vs

How many would not take on a project like this?

Then I'd have to figure out how many to sell to support a sponsorship...

In the mean time back to fabrication...

JT

Spyder Garage

Lightbulb

My biggest question is how many feel they could install something like this. They would have to position the assembly, remove the fender from the bracket, remove the hitch then drill 4 holes in the hitch. Then reassemble.

How many would feel comfortable installing something like this?

Vs

How many would not take on a project like this?

Then I'd have to figure out how many to sell to support a sponsorship...

In the mean time back to fabrication...

JT
    Those without the skills who need/want it badly enough will pay to have it installed.

Spyder Garage

Those without the skills who need/want it badly enough will pay to have it installed.
    I didn't even think of that...

JT

Spyder Garage

I would be interested, I would have my dealer fit it though.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...t=Rear+mudflap

read from post 9 onwards, Lamont uses an off the shelf 10 inch trailer fender.

harry
    Last edited by harrypottar; 05-27-2013 at 09:47 PM.
    "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus"
    My Rides;
    Nimbus 2000, Ford Anglia, 2012 Spyder RT Limited, Pre 14 Vintage Classic Collectors Edition!

Favorite Ride;
    Nimbus 2000 boy this thing can fly.

Mods:
    Charm of invisibility, Reparo Charm (cuts down on service cost)

One always wonders about roads not taken.

Spyder Garage

Cool, at least I know the idea is a good one now.

JT

Spyder Garage

And another photo... just lacking paint I think.

RS-622 Fender 09.jpg

I can't think of a way to test the interest in this... of course I may have shot myself in the foot yesterday.

JT

Spyder Garage

Cool

you're fine. Looking good

JT, what's the ground clearance on the fender?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I can't think of a way to test the interest in this... of course I may have shot myself in the foot yesterday.

JT

Once you have all the measurements, figure on a price for the item (your time + materials +????) Then post up a poll with the price... Even if it is just ballpark at this point, you can over estimate on the poll, then if the actual price is lower, you can figure in probably another 10% more would take the plunge...

I know you can't make a firm decision based on a poll, but you may be able to get a better idea if it is even worth the time and money to go that route.

Spyder Garage

what's the ground clearance on the fender?
    Yup what he said..................will the travel in the rear suspension be a little to much meaning a custom ground bottom lip on the fender?
    2011 RTS SM5

Spyder Garage

you're fine. Looking good

JT, what's the ground clearance on the fender?
    I put the bottom of the fender 2 1/2" above the ground, but it could be any height you like.

JT

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Buttsy View Post
    Yup what he said..................will the travel in the rear suspension be a little to much meaning a custom ground bottom lip on the fender?
    Because it is attached to the trailer hitch, which is attached to the frame / axle, the only ground clearance you will give up is the give in the tire. That should be a fixed distance from the ground (unless you go airborne).

The bigger question would be the clearance at the top... Riding 2 up, is there enough clearance to not break any plastic...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Buttsy View Post
    The fender moves with the swing arm so the ground clearance is the same all the time. The fender is close to the tire so you would have to drive off of a square curb to hang it on anything IMHO. I'll post up a couple more photos.

JT

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by shelbydave View Post
    Once you have all the measurements, figure on a price for the item (your time + materials +????) Then post up a poll with the price... Even if it is just ballpark at this point, you can over estimate on the poll, then if the actual price is lower, you can figure in probably another 10% more would take the plunge...

I know you can't make a firm decision based on a poll, but you may be able to get a better idea if it is even worth the time and money to go that route.
    That's a good idea Dave, Thanks

JT

Spyder Garage

Talking

Because it is attached to the trailer hitch, which is attached to the frame / axle, the only ground clearance you will give up is the give in the tire. That should be a fixed distance from the ground (unless you go airborne).

The bigger question would be the clearance at the top... Riding 2 up, is there enough clearance to not break any plastic...
    Yep.

The fender moves with the swing arm so the ground clearance is the same all the time. The fender is close to the tire so you would have to drive off of a square curb to hang it on anything IMHO. I'll post up a couple more photos.

JT
    Thanks. Happen to live in the desert where the roads are constructed for major drainage(we have abrupt trenches in our roads - not slope).....a half inch of rain and we have flash floods. Based upon it being tighter to the tire than the hitch flap was, it should be OK. tol (thinking out loud)

Spyder Garage

The RT fender is practically vertical on the inside which increases the space between the tire and the RT fender. Toss in the fact that the arc of movement is forward of the center of the tire by about 30" and the resulting arc of movement will bring them close. I don't see anything above the fender that it could possible contact before the tire touches the plastic at the top. I assume that can not happen... I don't know of any way to find out how much travel the rear swing arm has short of putting a couple of well fed folks on the bike and lowering the pressure to minimum on the rear shock. IMHO the only thing that could touch would be the bottom lip of the factory fender if the trailer hitch fender was mounted too far aft.

JT

Spyder Garage

Opps the photos...

RS-622 Fender 10.jpgRS-622 Fender 11.jpg

The fender I used had about a 16" radius, I would have preferred one with a 14" radius to stay closer to the tire but that is all I could find in this 1/2 horse town. After some research online you can get just about any size fender you want.

JT

Spyder Garage

Here is a photo showing the original plastic fender along with my fender so you can see the difference in location and clearance.

RS-622 Fender 12.jpg

JT

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Yea, have to agree 14" would be better. As for "well fed volunteers" I B one......think rabtech B 1 2. Not sure if he'd volunteer but me do

Spyder Garage

Yea, have to agree 14" would be better. As for "well fed volunteers" I B one......think rabtech B 1 2. Not sure if he'd volunteer but me do
    Come on over and hop on and I'll take a photo of the clearance.

JT