View Poll Results: Quality Survey Part II

Voters
97. You may not vote on this poll
  • You feel problems with brand new Spyders are primarily due to faulty dealer prep and assembly.

52 53.61%
  • You feel problems with brand new Spyders are QC issues during manufacture

38 39.18%
  • You feel problems with brand new Spyders are mostly owner ignorance (newbie)

7 7.22%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Quality Survey Part II

Quality Survey Part II

Please choose one:

1. You feel problems with brand new Spyders are primarily due to faulty dealer prep and assembly.

2. You feel problems with brand new Spyders are due to quality control issues in the manufacturing process.

3. You feel problems with brand new Spyders are due to owner ignorance only (newbie stuff)

Please be honest and objective

Thank You
    Last edited by OldDog; 05-23-2013 at 01:33 PM.

Spyder Garage

I choose #2. There are some quality opportunities that should have been addressed at the factory.
    2013 ST S
    Stock for now

Spyder Garage

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Green RSS View Post
    I choose #2. There are some quality opportunities that should have been addressed at the factory.
    Specifics?

&

#1 Here

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OldDog View Post
    Quality Survey Part II

Please choose one:

1. You feel problems with brand new Spyders are primarily due to faulty dealer prep and assembly.

2. You feel problems with brand new Spyders are due to quality control issues in the manufacturing process.

3. You feel problems with brand new Spyders are due to owner ignorance only (newbie stuff)
    This should be a poll.
    Current Spyder
    2015 Magnesium Metallic F3-S SE6

• Gauge Spoiler - Pegs @ #5 - Long Reach Bars - Detachable Passenger Backrest - Cross Country Saddlebags - Power Commander V - Power Commander Auto-Tune - Power Commander POD-300 - Two Bros S1R Exhaust w/Black P1X tip - Two Up Shock - Detachable Driver Backrest - Spyclops LED - LED Headlights - Route 129 Windshield

Retired Spyder
    2013 Magnesium Metallic ST-S SE5 5,467 Miles

Ryding Since 1/19/13

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    Specifics?

&

#1 Here
    Specifics? things like the ball joints and the paint quality control issue (around the black grills).
    2013 ST S
    Stock for now

Spyder Garage

All the quality issues I had were a fault of the assembler at the factory.

JT

Spyder Garage

Although most of the issues ocurre in the factory, it is up to the dealers that the machine is in working order and preped up before customer delivery. QC involves the dealer since they are the ones that finish assembly and are instructed by BRP to test it before delivery. So it is a combination of 2 and 1.
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by bullant12 View Post
    Although most of the issues ocurre in the factory, it is up to the dealers that the machine is in working order and preped up before customer delivery. QC involves the dealer since they are the ones that finish assembly and are instructed by BRP to test it before delivery. So it is a combination of 2 and 1.

Spyder Garage

In my case the dealer would have not discovered the crappy persons work on the left side of the line that put my Spyder together unless the dealer had disassembled the bike then reassembled it which is not part of the assemble inspection process at the dealer.

JT

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jthornton View Post
    In my case the dealer would have not discovered the crappy persons work on the left side of the line that put my Spyder together unless the dealer had disassembled the bike then reassembled it which is not part of the assemble inspection process at the dealer.

JT
    Agreed... but it is still the dealer's responsability to inspect (to a certain degree) the unit before delivery. However, anything found by the owner after delivery still needs to be addressed by the dealer. So I still say it is half dealer, half manufacturer.
    Last edited by bullant12; 05-23-2013 at 02:07 PM.
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Let me grab my asbestos britches here...
    I see a lot of complaints that seem to originate from:
    The owners adding a farkle that had "unexpected results"...
    One the extreme side...
    A blowed-up engine (#3!), after a turbo was installed...
    In the middle of the mess...
    A different exhaust "causing" a lean condition, and backfiring
    The milder side...
    Extra lights killing off the battery

We just dont' know when to quit; do we?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I voted #2 because IMO, the dealer is the final station between the and the customer. A well prepped and test driven should find any bugs that make the an unhappy experience for the new customer.

#1 comes in as a second choice for me. BRP did not come up with the ball joint problem/resolution until much coercion from the public. There were enough complaints initially that it was obvious to a lot of us, that there was something not quite right.

RE: paint issues--I also have the peeling on the front of my 2010 RT-S. Not a mechanical issue, but cosmetic, if I look at it close.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Ball joints = factory.
    Oil over-serviced = ? Do they service the oil quantity at the factory or is it part of the set-up?

Spyder Garage

Agreed... but it is still the dealer's responsibility to inspect (to a certain degree) the unit before delivery. However, anything found by the owner after delivery still needs to be address to the dealer. So I still say it is half dealer, half manufacturer.
    I found no fault with the dealer with pre-delivery inspection. You could not see the problems I found unless you removed the covers. The dealer very happily fixed everything and even went out of their way to find the parts in house and fix them while I waited.

I'm just saying everyone's situation can be different and no blanket statements like this survey asks will cover everything.

JT

Spyder Garage

I found no fault with the dealer with pre-delivery inspection. You could not see the problems I found unless you removed the covers. The dealer very happily fixed everything and even went out of their way to find the parts in house and fix them while I waited.
    And we and dealers like that. The dealers that sell the and "nicely" tell the customer " you it's not our problem", give these machines a bad reputation.

I'm just saying everyone's situation can be different and no blanket statements like this survey asks will cover everything.

Previously owned:

Spyder Garage

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    One the extreme side...
    The milder side...

But, the question is - NEW Spyders

Spyder Garage

Default Survey Objective

The intent of the survey is to gather information. Once a consensus is reached, if it can, a collective resolution strategy would be the next step. My idealistic objective would be to make the Spyder the most reliable, confidence inspiring, world class ride out there.

I'm trying out an ST Saturday if all goes well. I have to convince my wife to let me buy one.

Spyder Garage

Thing is, Many of the Problems, that rear their ugly head, do so after some time of ownership. That tells me that the factory has kinks to work out. I bought mine knowing that the Spyder had some inherit issues, such as and overly-sensitive Nanny, Drive belt vibration, etc. I feel it is a machine that is still being developed and dealerships can not be responsible for something that they know will happen. All they can do is make the proper adjustments prior to delivery and pray the owner listened to him or her upon delivery. I'm sure some dealers are out for the dollar and do not care. However, the continuing common issues that happen to all of us, need to be addressed at the factory to see if they can be eliminated. This forum is full of those issues. Possibly another Poll. Which issues can and should be addressed by the factory ??? Hey! Just Sayin.. I'm a happy owner who has had my fair share of issues... and with my Spyder Too !!! I might add, Both my mechanic and the dealership go out of their way to resolve issues and make sure I'm happy! I also thank BRP for such enjoyment and Peace. R & D need to keep on top of these forums and the problems can be "engineered" out.
    Last edited by Mad Mike; 05-23-2013 at 04:38 PM.
    2011 RT LTD w/XM. And a heavily modified and happy owner.

Spyder Garage

I would say a combination of all three, but you can pick only 1.

J. D.
    2016 F3T Magnesium Metalic : Smooth Spyder Dual Backrest, Lamonster LED Head lights and Fog lights

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    One the extreme side...
    The milder side...

Bob, good thing you put on those asbestos britches because I've got my lighter aimed in your direction! I think you see a lot more complaints about things that originated at the factory or by the dealer setup. I know that has been my experience.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

I had to go with #2 I have an excellent Dealer Route 1 Motor Sports in Grant Fl. You guys Rock! But the troubles with my STS were all Factory....... Ball joints, Front end alignment, "twice". First time it was done the old way. Then BRP came out with the 2013 procedures and it was aligned all over again. So My vote is #2.

2013 ST-S SE-5 ("Quick Silver") Is her Name
    My Mods:

I Have Added the AM/FM Stereo and an Ultimate Seat, with Ryder Backrest, Power Sports wraps." Break Strips" Kit, GloRyders with the Spyder Cap, Fox Racing Shock and Anti- Sway Bar Kit, Spyder Pops Bump Skid, Spyderlighter's LED Running Light Kit With Fender lights. Cal Si Shorty Smoked Windshield, The 2014 Side Panels, Lamonsters Cat Delete, And an Akrapovic Sport Touring Exhaust.

Spyder Garage

I choose D. All of the above. Some are lemons from the manufacturer, some are dealer mistakes, some are owner mistakes....sometimes its just the bike.
    RS - 55K+ miles, F3 - 200 miles and counting.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi Anne,
    It's not ALL the fault of the owners; nor the dealers; and not even the factory...
    But that's the only one that we have any control over...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Tough one..!!

Have to say they all apply but to put them in order I'd have to say #2, #1, #3. JMHO...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Have to say they all apply but to put them in order I'd have to say #2, #1, #3. JMHO...
    I believe the above is correct, but I'd add a fourth, and that would be faulty design issues.

For those who want specifics:

For me, the poor initial alignment that caused my Spyder to wander was poor installation in the factory. A new alignment procedure and set up jig was developed by BRP. I had the front realigned twice under warranty
    The premature clutch failure was poor installation in the factory. I had the ckutch replaced under warranty
    The inside of the windshield wearing against the windshiled support was poor design. Both were replaced under warranty.
    The numerous rear shock failures (5) was due to faulty design and or setup. New setup guidelines were distributed to dealers. All repaired under warranty
    The loss of two side panels was poor design of grommets. New design of grommets (wider flange) One panel was replaced under warranty. I bought and installed new grommets on my own.
    The squeaky brakes was poor design. I think the brake pads are on the 3rd generation. New brakes were part of routine maintenance.
    The difficulties in locking the hood was poor design. A new mechanism was designed and installed under warranty
    The poor performance of the bluetooth adapter was poor design (installation instructions incorrect). Installation was performed under warranty,
    Premature failure of the OEM spark plug wires is due to poor design. New wires were installed under warranty.
    The seat delaminating was poor design. A new seat was installed under warranty.
    The loss of paint on the chrome badges was poor design. These are the badges in the access panels and the saddlebags, New badges were installed front and rear under warranty.
    The bouncing gas gauge was poor design. Happened twice. Both gauges replaced under warranty
    Purge valve failed, engine was throwing codes 1 month after factory warranty ran out. This is hard to define. Might be poor design, or just bad luck Repaired under BEST warranty.
    Poor performance of the CB was a design issue (LCD Cluster). A new cluster was installed under warranty.
    The broken windshield dogbone support was poor design and replaced under warranty.
    Need I go on ?...................

I will say, BRP and my dealer GSS Powersports have ALWAYS stepped up to the plate to support both myself and my machine.
    Almost all the repairs/redesign issues were completed in the first 12,500 miles (except for the purge valve and clutch). Since then, I've ridden the bike fairly trouble free with only routine maintenance.
    Last edited by ThreeWheels; 05-24-2013 at 03:37 AM.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey