Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default RTS-SE near Lawrence, KS needing help

I am close to Lawrence, KS and needing some help..

Just got a 2013 RTS-SE5.. my driving experience is not as comfortable as I expected.. perhaps some burn-in time on the Spyder will help. Though I had a 08 GS Spyder and still do, I am noticing a bigger play in my steering that seems to be scarier at my higher speed driving. Looking for someone that has a RT-S to compare or help determine if this is the norm.

I have already taken this to Renos Powersport today where I purchase it from them yesterday and they did not find anything wrong. The bike currently has less then 100 miles on it. I hate to just go test drive another RT-S. Also, if someone that currently has been riding a RT-S could chime in it would be so helpful. My GS does not give as much or at all.

Here is the video of the loosy goosy steering.. Anyway to tighten it?

Thanks in advance all..

Hobbicam

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

I just went out and checked mine (I did not start it) and it has about a 1/4" of play. I'm having some handling issues with mine in high winds at highway speeds the front end nose dives and then it veers from side to side. I have an appointment to take it in next week. I do not remember if my 2010 had the same amount of play in the handlebars or not.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I have the same play on my 09 RS. I don't have any handling issues though.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD1 View Post
    I have the same play on my 09 RS. I don't have any handling issues though.
    I live nearby and sent you a pm. I have a 2013 rt

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kbfk View Post
    I live nearby and sent you a pm. I have a 2013 rt
    Looks like KBFK's RT had same play too.. but his did not have same driving experience had 60-70.... Though his Elka's seem to be so much different then the soft front end I have. Perhaps I will have to relearn.

Wonder if I can get the dealer to tighten it just a bit since some of the others seems to have tighter steering.

Thanks KBFK, for meeting with me this morning..

Hobbicam

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Front end

Going to the dealer Friday. Front end has pull to right ,last week was the 600 mile check . I told them bike is all over the road. They said the ball joint recall was not done ,on the bike yet ? They replace the ball joints, bike is better but still pulls, called brp customer rep .told me go back to the dealer have front end alin.under the new 2013 spec. The old way will make the bike worst. It's no joke at 70 mph,and hanging on it really wears you down no fun good luck

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tuffguy1509 View Post
    Going to the dealer Friday. Front end has pull to right ,last week was the 600 mile check . I told them bike is all over the road. They said the ball joint recall was not done ,on the bike yet ? They replace the ball joints, bike is better but still pulls, called brp customer rep .told me go back to the dealer have front end alin.under the new 2013 spec. The old way will make the bike worst. It's no joke at 70 mph,and hanging on it really wears you down no fun good luck
    I just bought mine and have some of the same issues when at highway speeds. I have noticed that it is not as bad when my wife is riding with me; however I am having my 600 mile check next week and am going to have it checked out as well. I will let you know what I find out.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    I just bought mine and have some of the same issues when at highway speeds. I have noticed that it is not as bad when my wife is riding with me; however I am having my 600 mile check next week and am going to have it checked out as well. I will let you know what I find out.
    , Gunny!
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

There is more play in all 2013 Spyders compared to previous models. Since the introduction of the 2010 RT the Spyder uses a steering column with 2 universal joints (yokes). Compared to the 2008 to 2012 RS which has a straight tube steering column, a torsional flex is noticed which can be interpreted as freeplay.

Torsional flex is now part of all models in 2013 since they all have the same (2 universal joint) steering column. Some freeplay is also considered normal due to the steering column splines at the top and bottom and the DPS gear lash.

If you remove torsional flex and other normal play variations the handlebar should not have more than 0.08" of play. Dealers have a procedure to measure this play if you find it to be excessive as some may notice it on their 2013s.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks Lamonster,

I took it in last week on a Friday when we picked up our second RT. I figured having 2 RT would make it easier to determine how much difference the first one had. Seems that the second RT did not have much then my first unit.

Though it was late and after service dept hours, the dealer quickly took my bike back to the back and did some sort of "alignment".

On the way home, there as a big "huge" difference in the driving. It was 100% better for me, as I thought. I was able to feel comfortable at 70mph and I don't think my heart rate raise above 150.

a few days later, I notice the ride had changed back to raising my heart rate up closer to 200 when I got to around 45-60mph. I emailed the dealer and he said to bring it in this weekend.

I hope it will be a permanent fix... I really enjoyed it when it was driving steadier.

Thanks again for the suggestion.

Hobbicam,

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    There is more play in all 2013 Spyders compared to previous models. Since the introduction of the 2010 RT the Spyder uses a steering column with 2 universal joints (yokes). Compared to the 2008 to 2012 RS which has a straight tube steering column, a torsional flex is noticed which can be interpreted as freeplay.

Torsional flex is now part of all models in 2013 since they all have the same (2 universal joint) steering column. Some freeplay is also considered normal due to the steering column splines at the top and bottom and the DPS gear lash.

If you remove torsional flex and other normal play variations the handlebar should not have more than 0.08" of play. Dealers have a procedure to measure this play if you find it to be excessive as some may notice it on their 2013s.