Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 2013 RT-S SE5, need opinion

Hello All: I am new to this forum and appreciate all the helpful comments everyone has on this forum. I hope to one day contribute too.

I just traded in my 08 GS for a 2013 RT-S SE5.. and though expected driving experience to be different, I was not expecting too much.

First, I know that the seating position has change and it seems to be positive experience. I believe I can adjust quickly to that seating position.

Second is power, it feels like my RT-S is underpower even when I am only riding solo.. all 200lb of me by myself. at 45-60.. I can be in 4th or 5th gear and the bike shakes during throttle up.. RPM is about 3500-4500 during the shaking as if I am too high of a gear and slowly speeds up. (though I have not gunned it) The bike only has 100miles on it right now.. so maybe in the break in period I should be patient with it.

Third, I have been reading about the bike tracking left and right (hunting) at higher speed (45 and up). Coming off another Spyder, I think I have some sort of expectation that is accurate already.. but I maybe wrong since this is a touring model and not a GS.. and from what I understand there are more changes in the front end on the 2013. I drove it to the dealer this afternoon.. the owner took it out, and his tech took it out too, but both provided response as if it was normal.

During driving home, I am now trying to experiment and learn hoping I would get comfortable with the swaying.. but at 60, I feel like driving a car with lots of give in the steering on the highway. I decided to pull over at a neighbor and just to check out the give on the steering and here is what I video'd tape.

Can anyone verify that this is normal give? I don't recall my GS having this much give. If this is normal, is there any way to tighten it? or is this by design?

I purchase this for the wife, I still have another GS that is getting the power steering fix too.. Perhaps I have been riding with a bum steering system and have gotten comfortable with it instead of a working power steering either way, it is way uncomfortable for me.. season'ed rider. I am worried about letting it take the wife around.

Thanks in advance for anyone's input..

Here is the video

Spyder Garage

My 2013 LTD does the same thing, my dealer has ordered a new steering knuckle for it.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gorcutt View Post
    My 2013 LTD does the same thing, my dealer has ordered a new steering knuckle for it.
    Thanks Gorcutt,

I just called my dealer and sent him the video link. Did your dealer suggest it or was that something you mentioned and they are fixing it?

My bike only has 78miles on it, I would think that if I wanted to get it replace, they would not have a problem with it unless they say it is not abnormal to have that much wiggle?

Thanks again,

Hobbicam

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That ain't right; make them fix it!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I complained about bike darting, the tech found the play and compared with other other 2013 RT and said he though that was the problem. Now wating for the part.

Spyder Garage

Default Little checking..!!

That is not right. Make sure yours is not one that needed the ball joints changed and aligned if so check that it was done. On power you may be low on the rpm, we shift at about 5000 and I cruise close to that. You have the se and the clutch is temperamental. Hope the dealer get it right for you....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think if you feel the machine is not as controllable as you think it should be, then you need to make an issue of it to get it fixed. There are plenty of posts on here suggesting some have had a problem.

Secondly... you need to learn to shift differently with the RTS. Check out the link in my signature... then scroll down on the link to the shifting suggestions. I believe once you get used to shifting at these points you will find yourself riding an entirely different machine.

SL #7026
    VBA #652
    HOG #3935417
    2011 Viper-Red Spyder RT SE5 & Trailer
    2017 HD Ultra Limited
    Former Rides: 2014 HD Ultra Limited; '04 Kawa Nomad; '09 HD Ultra-Classic; and many Hondas through the years.
    Spyder Newbies Do's & Do Not's: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

Spyder Garage

make sure they check the toe on the front end that can make them dart all over the place and youll never catch up with it

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Get that steering,( too much play) fix by the dealer. I normally ride 4 th gear at 60-65 mph 5th gear at 70-plus.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Illinois Boy View Post
    I think if you feel the machine is not as controllable as you think it should be, then you need to make an issue of it to get it fixed. There are plenty of posts on here suggesting some have had a problem.

Secondly... you need to learn to shift differently with the RTS. Check out the link in my signature... then scroll down on the link to the shifting suggestions. I believe once you get used to shifting at these points you will find yourself riding an entirely different machine.
    Hello Illinois Boy,

thanks for the link.. it was really helpful.. looks like I was a little RPM shy on this bike. I did try the highway today and reached 65 at 5th gear.. I had a full-face helmet and the engine was louder then what I expected. I have not been behind a big windscreen before, my GS had wind noise that must have over powered the engine noise. Being that the RT-S has the windshield perhaps there were less wind noise and the engine was more noticible.

I will head out and try your suggestions.

@ Bob Denman, working with them on it...(cross fingers that this is something I am not just feeling).. I may have to find another RT-S rider in the area and ask if we could give each other test ride and compare to theirs.

@Chupaca, is there any way to tell (photo or something) to know if the ball joints has been replaced? I can only take the technicians word on all this. I did ask that this afternoon, no answer, and I sent the video link to the service team but have not gotten a email response yet.

Thanks again..

Hobbicam

Spyder Garage

At 45 MPH I'm just leaving 2nd gear and in 3rd. (usually shift around 39 MPH). At 55 MPH I'm considering shifting from 3rd into 4th. At 70 MPH I'm again considering shifting into 5th. I usually ride about 70 MPH so I'm usually in 4th gear.

Chris

Spyder Garage

Default Have the dealer run your Vin# and they will be able to let you

Quote Originally Posted by hobbicam View Post
    Hello Illinois Boy,

thanks for the link.. it was really helpful.. looks like I was a little RPM shy on this bike. I did try the highway today and reached 65 at 5th gear.. I had a full-face helmet and the engine was louder then what I expected. I have not been behind a big windscreen before, my GS had wind noise that must have over powered the engine noise. Being that the RT-S has the windshield perhaps there were less wind noise and the engine was more noticible.

I will head out and try your suggestions.

@ Bob Denman, working with them on it...(cross fingers that this is something I am not just feeling).. I may have to find another RT-S rider in the area and ask if we could give each other test ride and compare to theirs.

@Chupaca, is there any way to tell (photo or something) to know if the ball joints has been replaced? I can only take the technicians word on all this. I did ask that this afternoon, no answer, and I sent the video link to the service team but have not gotten a email response yet.

Thanks again..

Hobbicam

know if the balljoint upgrade is needed. I just walked out to my 13' RT Ltd. and have none of the play I see in your video.... None. I would take it right back to the dealer, slowly and carefully, because that play looks totally unacceptable.. Keep us posted and good luck!
    Lets ride!!!!

Spyder Garage

Your machine will perform better if you shift up at 4500 or higher rpms. The power really comes on at higher rpms. The Rotax engine is a high rpm design.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

sent video and email to service dept yesterday but have not gotten a reply yet...

Will keep you guys posted. Thanks for all the guidance.

Hobbicam.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I finally called the service guys today.. and they said that they looked at my video and compared it with all the others in the shop and it was the same. I guess that is the norm?

I was also told that there was nothing they could do for that since it was the same on all the 2013's they had there too and considered it normal.

guess that means relearning and getting comfortable with the bouncing around.

I did meet up with a local RT rider this morning and their handle bars did similar wiggle, but in that bike, he had Elka's and had it set on medium. I took it for a ride and it did the shifting, but I was comfortable with it since it did not bounce the front end. We both thought it was a contribution of the wind hitting me sideways and the softness of the front shocks that would bounce when I swayed from the wind too.

Looks like I will have see with time.. hopefully I get to meet more RT out on the road to compare.

Thanks for all the suggestions and help.

Hobbicam

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Update...

Not sure why, but I picked up another 2013 RT Limited for the wife since I was not feeling like letting her drive this one.. but when I went to pick up the second unit, the dealer had told me that after they spoke to me, BRP sent them a "fax" or something like that and told them about some 2013 needing to get something aligned.. I was just happy to hear that there was a possibility to resolve my wiggly riding.

The dealer told me he already aligned the new RT Limited and even though it was after hours, he manage to get the technician to do the alignment, which really took very little time.

Now I am happy to say, both bikes, are riding 100% better.. I can't believe it.. what a relief that I did not have to try to learn to ride with the wiggle in the front end.

Here are the too new members of the house.. gotta find a better place for them, but for now, they are safe..

Thanks everyone for your input and guidance!!.

DSC01030a.jpg

Hobbicam