Thread: Motor vibration

Spyder Garage

Default Motor vibration

Good Day to All:
    I am happy to be back on three wheels again. I have been told that there is a normal vibration with the Rotax motor
    The 2010 RS that I just rode from Nevada has a vibration at 4800-5400 RPM. Mostly noticeable in 4th and 5th under load.
    Looking for feedback. Thanks Dean

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by greendean View Post
    Good Day to All:
    I am happy to be back on three wheels again. I have been told that there is a normal vibration with the Rotax motor
    The 2010 RS that I just rode from Nevada has a vibration at 4800-5400 RPM. Mostly noticeable in 4th and 5th under load.
    Looking for feedback. Thanks Dean
    There is in most V twins a slight vibration, But most likely what you feel is coming from the belt [belt harmonics] And is considered normal..... Some times a little adjustment to the belt will help but won't stop all of it.... Also at 48/54 rpm in 4/5 your borderline lugging the engine at a load, Keep the rpm's up especially in 4Th.......

Spyder Garage

Default Where..??

vibrations come from several places. Harmonics, belt, engine and the trick is to find where they are coming from. I run above 4000 rpm on our RS manual. The semi-auto has more to contend with as they don't control the clutch. I installed the smoothspyder belt tensioner which helps and running high rpm's also helps but with all that still have vibrations to live with but they clear by speeding up or slowing down...good luck..!!
    Last edited by Chupaca; 05-21-2013 at 12:23 PM.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Keep the rpms above 4000 rpm. At lower rpms the vibration you are feeling maybe the engine lugging.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    There is in most V twins a slight vibration, But most likely what you feel is coming from the belt [belt harmonics] And is considered normal..... Some times a little adjustment to the belt will help but won't stop all of it.... Also at 48/54 rpm in 4/5 your borderline lugging the engine at a load, Keep the rpm's up especially in 4Th.......
    Good Day Thanks for the response I do keep the rpms up the vibration is very noticeable at 5000 and no doubt clears up at 5500 also noticeable more while accelirating
    under load. Catch is 4th gear 5400 is 63mph so (legal speed limit) 5th is unusable? 5th at 5500 is 78-80mph can you say ticket Thanks for the response Dean

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    vibrations come from several places. Harmonics, belt, engine and the trick is to find where they are coming from. I run above 4000 rpm on our RS manual. The semi-auto has more to contend with as they don't control the clutch. I installed the smoothspyder belt tensioner which helps and running high rpm's also helps but with all that still have vibrations to live with but they clear by speeding up or slowing down...good luck..!!
    I have never heard of the smoothspyder belt tensioner. Aftermarket or where do you get that. Thanks
    dean

Spyder Garage
    David
    2012 Spyder RTS SE5 - Sold

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cdavid View Post
    Thanks ordered one up Dean

Spyder Garage

Good Day to All
    I have received and installed my smoothspyder rotary belt tensioner. The reduction in vibration is
    very good 85-90%. There is still some but very tolerable now. Two thumbs up for Captain Jim.