Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Angry RT Limited - Frustrated

I'm a bit frustrated with my new 2012 RT. I've had her only for 1 month and she has to go back into the shop for a 2nd time. At mile 600 the shifter coil/sensor went out. Got that fixed and the next day went on a ride with my family. 100 miles later the DPS and the VSS errors pop up and I have to LIMP home. PLUS to top it off, the seat got SOOOO HOT from the engine (NOT the Sun) that I actually have a surface burn on the inside of my thigh. Before you ask the temperature gauge did not go higher than half way - that was the first thing my Hubby asked. I love riding the Spyder, but if this is what I have to look forward to for the next several years, I'm very seriously considering sending her back as the headache will not be worth it. I did not spend that much money to have this many issues in the first 30 days!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CBROWN12713 View Post
    I'm a bit frustrated with my new 2012 RT. I've had her only for 1 month and she has to go back into the shop for a 2nd time. At mile 600 the shifter coil/sensor went out. Got that fixed and the next day went on a ride with my family. 100 miles later the DPS and the VSS errors pop up and I have to LIMP home. PLUS to top it off, the seat got SOOOO HOT from the engine (NOT the Sun) that I actually have a surface burn on the inside of my thigh. Before you ask the temperature gauge did not go higher than half way - that was the first thing my Hubby asked. I love riding the Spyder, but if this is what I have to look forward to for the next several years, I'm very seriously considering sending her back as the headache will not be worth it. I did not spend that much money to have this many issues in the first 30 days!!
    Drove my 2012 Rt Ltd for 11,000 Miles with no problems to speak of, hopefully they will get it fixed up and you can start to enjoy the ride again, don't understand why the seat got so hot though!!!

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member MidLifeCrisis's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default RT Limited - Frustrated

Something's definitely not right with the heat on the seat. They do get hot and make you sweaty and sticky, but no burns. Do you have the SpyderPops heat shielding installed? If yes, there may be an exhaust leak. That's about all I can think of to make it hot enough to burn your leg as it did. The heat could be a contributor to the other failures...Others with far more knowledge may have better ideas.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Spyder Garage

Default welcome

welcome to the perils of owning a spyder

Spyder Garage

I agree with the possibility of an exhaust leak making the seat that hot. I don't recall anyone saying they sustained a burn from the seat. Was there a possibility of riding with your foot on the brake? That will cause a limp mode. Hope you get this taken care of. Other than minor issues, we have had no problems with either of our RTs.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Wife and I also live in Florida and our seat does not get hot. I understand your frustration. I would stick with the spyder a little longer.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

As with Cruzr Joe, I have not had any issues at all with my 2012 RT Limited in almost 10,000 miles. The seat does get a little warm, but nothing at all like you mention.

I only mention this as possible encouragement for you. Contrary to Spyderpoops comment, I know many other very happy Spyder owners. Those few that experienced problems had them resolved and are enjoying many trouble free miles.

Hang in there! Good luck getting those issue resolved to your satisfaction and to the point where your confidence in your Spyder is restored.
    2012 RT Limited Lava Bronze w/ Tan Seat

Spyder Garage

I live and ride in Florida and have never had that kind of issue with the seat. Something very obviously is wrong.

What dealer are you using?
    Phil

I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands.

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Spyder Garage

Default HOT SEAT

Sorry to hear about your problems. Hang in there. I've got 2013 with 2000 miles. Dealer changed ball joints. Seat gets warm, no burns. Some annoyances & things to get used to, but it's a great machine.

ronbo 2013 RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Hope you get your problems resolved.I have had my 2012 RT Limited for 11 months.Ridden 12000 miles including my trip to Spyderfest with no problems contrary to what Spyderpoop above states.He seems to make only negative postings.There are many members on this site who are constructive and can help.

ivor

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This is more of a dealer issue, than it is a bike issue...
    Something's not right, but a good shop should be able to find and fix it!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the encouragement. I bought her in Kissimmee and she is currently being worked on in Brandon (closest location). It seems that the sensors are having issues so they are replacing those. As for the seat - the mechanic said that this is normal so I am looking into getting a Gel Seat cover. Saw a few on Ebay - now I just hope I pick the right one that fits. I should have her back friday or early next week so we'll see.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hope you get the problem resolve. The heat that cause a burn on your leg is not normal what ever the mech said.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Hello from Louisiana

Hope all is well with ya.

jerry wolf

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    Drove my 2012 Rt Ltd for 11,000 Miles with no problems to speak of, hopefully they will get it fixed up and you can start to enjoy the ride again, don't understand why the seat got so hot though!!!

Cruzr Joe

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the encouragement. I bought her in Kissimmee and she is currently being worked on in Brandon (closest location). It seems that the sensors are having issues so they are replacing those. As for the seat - the mechanic said that this is normal so I am looking into getting a Gel Seat cover. Saw a few on Ebay - now I just hope I pick the right one that fits. I should have her back friday or early next week so we'll see.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

to the site. Hopefully your dealer with get things right for you and you can start to enjoy your new ryde. Please keep us posted.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

As for the seat - the mechanic said that this is normal so I am looking into getting a Gel Seat cover.
    The mechanic is wrong...that is NOT normal. I have all my work done in Kissimmee (I live in Melbourne) and they've never lead me wrong yet.
    Phil

I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands.

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Hot seat

No seat should get so hot that it burns the occupant. Tell the dealer you don't want him working on your machine as he does not know what he is talking about.

Spyder Garage

I too get a lot of engine heat where the seat meets the glove box, very uncomfortable on my inner thighs. I notice it when I'm in traffic stopping and starting frequently, but on the open road, it isn't there. Sorry you are having issues. I had oil "disappearing" for a while and not it seems not to be a problem.....gremlins?