Thread: Concern?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Concern?

Finally got to take out my 2013 RT for its inaugural spin. Went everywhere around Oakville; mostly 50km/hr ish . Elected to ride through downtown Oakville which because of the long weekend traffic was stop and go. To my surprise after 5 minutes of crawling speed the Spyder just quit. It acted like I had just turned off the ignition. Up until that time everything was fine. Lots of gas, coolant in the normal range, and no codes. Managed to coast over to the side of the road. Shut her down. Started her back up. Everything was normal. Rode some more without any further problems. Should I be concerned? Other than that, as they say, "what a rush!!" Can't wait to get back out!

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

There have been a number of incidents of stalling with new Spyders lately. The problem seems to improve as time goes by. Still, it is unsettling to me. I'd report it to your dealer, but I don't know that there are any diffinitive answers as yet.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Having never experienced limp home mode before does it shut down the whole bike? In my case I coasted to the side of the road with no power. It only came back after I came to a complete stop and then restarted it. As I am new to Spyders I will pay particular attention to riding the brakes in the future.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

That would be "unsettling". Good luck in getting it resolved.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayJay View Post
    Having never experienced limp home mode before does it shut down the whole bike? In my case I coasted to the side of the road with no power. It only came back after I came to a complete stop and then restarted it. As I am new to Spyders I will pay particular attention to riding the brakes in the future.
    Limp mode just limits the rpm. You experienced a stall, which is a malfunction, not something the computer does in response to a malfunction. What you experienced is not normal, but there has been a rash of it lately on low mileage machines prior to their 600 mile service.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

IF it happens again...
    As soon as you're safely off the road:
    Don't touch the key just yet!
    Push in and hold both the "Mode" and "Set" buttons
    Then get another finger onto the turnsignal switch, and push it in as if to cancel a turnsignal...
    Any active error codes should show up on the info screen...
    If you've got any; write them down, and give that information to your dealer!
    Good Luck!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Scotty, thanks for the info. Just curious, I have the SE5, when the spyder stalls does the transmission drop into neutral? When the spyder quit I was able to coast into a parking spot. I would have thought that if the transmission remained in 1st gear my "gliding distance" would have been somewhat shorter. As this appears to be a sub 600 mile issue there is only one way to address it. 50 miles down and 550 miles to go. No complaints from me!!

Bob, thanks also for the code procedure. I have put a pencil and paper in the glove box. My memory is good but short.

Spyder Garage

Default Concern?

Sounds like you hit the kill button by mistake.

Spyder Garage

I don't think he hit the kill switch myself as this has happened to me also but my bike was idling in my driveway while I was putting on my gear to go riding and just died. It started right back up when I hit the starter button but why it quit, I'm not sure. My bike was also a 2012 SE5 and had under 500 miles on it when it happened. I mentioned it to my dealer when I had the 600 mile service and he said if it happens again to let him know. He said he did the updates to the bike while it was serviced. So it may never happen again and that will be good as far as I'm concerned.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

You could very well be right. The thought has crossed my mind since I started this thread. To be honest I have little experience riding so everything was a bit of a blur. I just found a safe haven to stop, went quickly and mechanically through the shutdown and startup procedure and off I went feeling relieved that I didn't require a tow. It didn't help that people were already watching as Spyders are apparently still not that common around here.

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=JayJay;624691]Finally got to take out my 2013 RT for its inaugural spin. Went everywhere around Oakville; mostly 50km/hr ish . Elected to ride through downtown Oakville which because of the long weekend traffic was stop and go. To my surprise after 5 minutes of crawling speed the Spyder just quit. It acted like I had just turned off the ignition. Up until that time everything was fine. Lots of gas, coolant in the normal range, and no codes. Managed to coast over to the side of the road. Shut her down. Started her back up. Everything was normal. Rode some more without any further problems. Should I be concerned? Other than that, as they say, "what a rush!!" Can't wait to get back out! [/QUOTE

My 2013 RT did the same thing for awhile(prior to 600 mile checkup) The dealer worked on it and then it quit for awhile, then it started again at about 2000 miles. I took it back and they had to order a purge valve. Still waiting to see what happens. Also one more problem was after being driven for awhile and stopping for a break it would not throttle up for a few seconds after starting. Also when putting it into gear it felt like it was in 2nd gear(lugging). Hopefully all this will be resolved when I get the new part. Other than thaat I am very happy with it. Hope it does as good as my 2010 RT that had 40,000 miles when I traded.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Limp mode just limits the rpm. You experienced a stall, which is a malfunction, not something the computer does in response to a malfunction. What you experienced is not normal, but there has been a rash of it lately on low mileage machines prior to their 600 mile service.

Been watching this also. Hope they (BRP/Mechanics) come up with a good answer.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Scotty, thanks for the info. Just curious, I have the SE5, when the spyder stalls does the transmission drop into neutral? When the spyder quit I was able to coast into a parking spot. I would have thought that if the transmission remained in 1st gear my "gliding distance" would have been somewhat shorter. As this appears to be a sub 600 mile issue there is only one way to address it. 50 miles down and 550 miles to go. No complaints from me!!

Bob, thanks also for the code procedure. I have put a pencil and paper in the glove box. My memory is good but short.
    The Spyder can be in any gear. When the engine quits, the rpm drops low enough that the centrifugal clutch disengages, so you can easily coast. It appears that you did not do the skills course in your manual (or on the DVD). Part of the parking lot practice involves hitting the kill switch to see what happens. I highly recommend you consider an hour or two of practice so things like this and evasive maneuvers are not a surprise. I'm not picking on you, I do some parking lot practice every year.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Scotty, thanks for the advice and I don't feel picked on. I will go through the manual and DVD as you suggest. I didn't hit the road completely unprepared as I just completed the Spyder Course offered at Georgian College in Barrie Ontario. This course is associated with our graduated licensing process. A lot was covered but not this particular item.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Finally got to take out my 2013 RT for its inaugural spin. Went everywhere around Oakville; mostly 50km/hr ish . Elected to ride through downtown Oakville which because of the long weekend traffic was stop and go. To my surprise after 5 minutes of crawling speed the Spyder just quit. It acted like I had just turned off the ignition. Up until that time everything was fine. Lots of gas, coolant in the normal range, and no codes. Managed to coast over to the side of the road. Shut her down. Started her back up. Everything was normal. Rode some more without any further problems. Should I be concerned? Other than that, as they say, "what a rush!!" Can't wait to get back out!
    There is something in the manual about break-in that talks about riding in stop-n-go traffic... said that if the fan was running constantly you should pull over and let it cool down. You should probably read it.

Spyder Garage

Default Happened twice to me on our 13'

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    rior to 600 miles when coming to a stop. Restarted fine, ran fine, has not done it since and we are at 2,500 miles. Mentioned it to the dealer at the 600 mile service, they did not find any issues, and has not done it since... I will admit it is a little unnerving when it happens...

Spyder Garage

my 2012 had a similar problem stalled once while idling also in first 200 mile had 3 time when I went to throttle up it sputtered and blubbered like it was going to stall out quick played with throttle and kept it running ,that purge valve thought sounds interesting