Spyder Garage

Question New ST-S SM-5 Will Not Start in Gear

The manual and forum threads all address the fact that to start the SE-5 Spyders if in gear, the foot brake must be depressed. Is this true for the SM-5 manual transmission? My ride has all of 45 miles on it, and I've stalled it a few times (mainly backing up) and the only way to re-start it is to shift her into Neutral. Kill switch is set to Run, key still in On position, Clutch Lever pulled in; if bike was stalled out in Reverse, then I would shift to 1st then try Re-starting. This could be a big issue if this happens and I can't get the bike to shift to Neutral from 1st. So, is this normal (and I misread the manual), or do I need to take her back to the shop for work?

Ed

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have the sm5 and mine will start in gear. I stalled several times in the beginning and if I had to shift to neutral to restart, I may not be here today. Good luck with everything.

Spyder Garage

Sounds like the clutch lever switch is bad, or a wire going to it is broken. Dealer time.

john

Spyder Garage

Take a look at the clutch lever switch, under the left end of the handlebar. It is pretty easy to bend the switch tab accidentally. If it doesn't contact the post on the clutch lever, and push far enough out of the way, it will not allow the Spyder to start in gear. If it is not broken, and the post on the clutch lever is intact, it can usually be gently bent back into position.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default I guess that's why...

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Take a look at the clutch lever switch, under the left end of the handlebar. It is pretty easy to bend the switch tab accidentally. If it doesn't contact the post on the clutch lever, and push far enough out of the way, it will not allow the Spyder to start in gear. If it is not broken, and the post on the clutch lever is intact, it can usually be gently bent back into position.
    After using my highly tuned visual sense () I discovered my problem. There is no clutch lever switch under the left handlebar. It's as if it was never installed. Two tiny screw holes where I imagine the switch housing should be but nothing else; no wires leading to that location, nothing.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BMWpilot View Post
    After using my highly tuned visual sense () I discovered my problem. There is no clutch lever switch under the left handlebar. It's as if it was never installed. Two tiny screw holes where I imagine the switch housing should be but nothing else; no wires leading to that location, nothing.

Thanks for everyone's help.
    That has happened before. It is usually a dealer prep error.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!