Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

I would also opt for the upgraded sway bar. Glad to hear things are getting better for you and it is rideable now.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Good to here things turned out great. Bike looks nice, can't wait to see the custom fenders enjoy bro... Send pics..l

Spyder Garage

Glad to hear you've got it working better (i.e. haven't stutter bumped yourself into an oncoming gasoline tanker )! As much as I like my Spyder, I've always wondered why the BRP engineers decided to run with the tiny wheel sizes and not something in the 16 or 17" range? Would've made replacement tire selection much larger, and easier for us, and an additional selling point for Spyders. Larger wheel diameters would have made 320mm brake rotors and 4 to 6 piston calipers feasible as well (would have gone well with the 200HP, 6 spd, 640 lb Spyder they should have built all along.........................just sayin').

2018 F3 S, BRP SS Grill, Spoiler, Attitude Bars, #1 linkage kit, Chopped R Fender, TBR S1R slip On exhaust, Elka Stage 2 R Shock, Shad saddlebags

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flanker View Post
    Couple of good points already made by others...................you've just discovered the foibles of increasing the leverage (via your adapters moving the wheels/tires outboard to the stock location) your wheels exert on your suspension; the potential detriment of drastically increasing unsprung weight vs sprung weight (if you didn't know it's commonly accepted at a 1 to 4 ratio) without proportionately altering both spring rate and compression/rebound damping to compensate for the increase in unsprung weight, vividly demonstrating how low aspect ratio tires have stiffer sidewalls vs higher aspect ratio tires, thereby improving turn in response, decreasing rim protection, while increasing ride harshness, and requiring a minimum threshold sprung weight to function properly, as well as how important understanding the theory and practical implementation of toe in/out, camber, and caster settings are to proper suspension function. BTW: They do look bitchin'. As a practical suggestion....................Bajaron seems to have a pretty good grasp on the ins and outs of Spyder suspension based on experience and technical knowledge.................you might wish to consult with him r.e. potential mitigating measures for your new "pimpin' dubs". Good luck! Oh yea...................you've succeeded in making me nervous about swapping my front tires to 185/60/14s on the stock rims. Thanks! One more thing: I take it; it the roads are never wet at "your house"? Because if they are......................you'll discover why not having fenders over your tires sucks. OK, OK.................one more, one more thing..........................the taller OAD of the new front rim/tire combination with a corresponding increase in rear rim/tire OAD has fundamentally altered the overall stance of your ride, affecting center of gravity, polar moment of inertia, weight shift on acceleration and braking, roll rate and yaw response. They still look bitchin' though.

I put 185/60/14 Electra platinum tires and six spoke rims on my 2011 RS. Had to shim the fenders up and out a little bit them went on a four day ride though the Utah mountains, ran like a champ I also have Baja Ron's sway bar and rt front shocks. I have set on 5 setting on front shocks going to dial down to four setting to see if I get the same turn performance with a softer ride
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.” Edward Burke

Spyder Garage

Thanks Guys... I didn't hesitate... Ordered Ron's sway bar a few days ago... Was supposed to arrive yesterday, but apparently some USPS worker in Philadelphia, must have forgotten his/her glassess & sent the damn package to a different county.
    Patience is not my strongest quality...

I'm hoping to get it today... but might have to wait till Tuesday, due to their mistake. Got my lifted, naked & sedated in the garage, waiting for her new transplant. If it doesn't arrive, I'll be putting her back together.... Can't let the whole weekend pass without riding.

No, No, No,...... Not In My House!!!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

You have already invested a bucket full of time and money so go the extra mile and find a front end alignment shop and have the alignment checked by a professional that can think outside of the box. Keep us up to date as you are definitely thinking outside the normal box !!,

Spyder Garage

Picked up BajaRon's Anti- Sway Bar from the Post Office yesterday. (Wasn't about to wait till Tuesday). I have to admit.... When I pulled it out the box, & installed it... I couldn't imagine how this thing would make a difference. Took her out today for a run on the highway. It's sunny & clear, but pretty windy today.... about 20mph cross winds on the highway. I felt today would be a perfect day to test this baby, and all I can say is OH MY EFFIN GAWD!!! The sway is gone.... Gone..... The whole ride to the highway was rock solid. Once I was on, I accelerated to about 90mph, turned around with a BIG Ole smile on my face, tucked.... & hit 105mph on the way back. It was like an Arrow....
    . Amazing....

Haven't yet taken it to the shop for an alignment, (supposed to take it this Tuesday), but I really don't wan't them to mess with it to be honest. After today's ride, I honestly dont think I need it.. Feels more stable than it did before the wheel upgrade. I think I'm done guys..

SO... my magic fix was:

• Dropped Fox Podium shocks down to only 2 rings above it's lowest setting
    • Dropped stock tire pressure from 35psi to 17psi
    • Installed BajaRon's Anti-Sway Bar

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR ADVICE!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Good job!!! I was just gonna tell you NOT to do the alignment. Don't fix what's not broken. If everything feels good to you then leave it as is until you real need the alignment. From your previous post it sounds lime you don't trust the place too much. Enjoy the bike the way it is right now.
    When you get a chance, can you PM me the details of your spacers and the specs of your wheels. Much appreciated!!

Mellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm happy for you, doing what you want is the best thing to do. Just keep doing it safely. Good luck.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

Im really glad you got your Spyder running nice now. I have a question? I have a 2012 RS-S and I ordered new rims/tires 215/35/18 custom made from RideWrightWheels. I'm kinda worried because I hear stories about the Spyder's computer system goes crazy and that it goes into limp mode. Has anyone had any issues with this? Any info would help.
    Thank you
    Last edited by Jsalientes3; 07-19-2013 at 07:28 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default Wheel upgrade

Great story and all the advice from members was great, I'm glad it worked out but more impressed by all the good advice and support you got. What a great group to belong to.
    Loving the RYDE

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jsalientes3 View Post
    Im really glad you got your Spyder running nice now. I have a question? I have a 2012 RS-S and I ordered new rims/tires 215/35/18 custom made from RideWrightWheels. I'm kinda worried because I hear stories about the Spyder's computer system goes crazy and that it goes into limp mode. Has anyone had any issues with this? Any info would help.
    Thank you
    Well.... My story didn't really have a happy ending... A couple weeks after my last post, the bike went into limp mode on an on ramp while I was doing about 80mph in a wide turn. I was surrounded by traffic, in the passing lane, with an 18 wheeler to my right. It was the scariest thing I've experienced in a LONG time. I seriously can't believe/understand, why the someone would design a bike of any kind, to shut down & completely drop speed when it senses a "fault". It felt like it dropped to first gear while in 5th. It's the most dangerous thing you can do to a rider. ABSoLUTELy STUPID!!! I thought I had a blow-out the way it was sputtering.... I saw my life flash before my eyes as I heard cars breaking inches behind me. I was forced to pull off to the right since there was no left side lane, while cars where swerving around me.

Anyway, I took it to be checked a few days later & they told me it was obviously caused by the wheels. The way it was explained to me was, the spyder has sensors that monitor a number of scenarios, and/or conditions; and when certain scenarios/conditions are met, it = limp mode. I questioned why I had not experienced this before, while having the wheels and going much faster than I was that day. He felt the magic ingredient was the fact that I was in a slight turn, AND going 80MPH, causing the sensor to think I was spinning out.

My daughter is always wanting to ride with me, & I never want to have that happen while I have her with me, so I went back to stock for now. When I did, I realized what a difference the ride quality really was. Nothing comes close to the stability of the stock set-up.

Keep this in mind, The greater the difference is in OD from the stock wheels, the greater your chances are of going into limp mode. My 17" tire size was only .48" larger, which is a 2.1% difference in OD. If your going with a tire size of 215/35/18, thats 1.48" larger which is a 6.6% difference in OD. If your also replacing your rear wheel & making sure the OD difference of the back tire matches the front difference, then you might be ok. If you weren't planning on replacing the back wheel/tire, then I'm willing to bet my left nut that your dash will light up like a xmas tree before you leave your driveway.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well this is another issue that you might need to sort out... but it's a do-able item!
    I have heard of some folks moving all of the wheel speed sensors to just the rear wheel; it fools the 'puter into thinking that they're all happily spinning at the same speed...
    I'm not suggesting it... I'm just sayin'...

Spyder Garage

Yeah, I heard about the sensor move trick. The shop who checked out the codes, instructed me to call back & speak to their lead tech who was on vacation at the time. Apparently they install after market wheel all the time, & this particular tech knows how to either disable, or move the sensor to prevent limp mode. I know folks on this forum would argue to NOT disable or mess with the sensors.. But I'm sure if they ever go into Limp Mode, they'd be singing a new song. I'm gonna stay stock for now... We'll see... I'm keeping my mind off of the wheels for now, by redirecting myself & having some fun with HID lights, and some LED's from Tricled..

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We can't wati to see what you cook up next!