Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Shifting problems and P2806 code

Have been having shifting problems on our 2011 RT Ltd, SE5. It has been happening real intermittently, and not something that I can reproduce on will. Of course!! Took it to our dealer yesterday. Couldn't pull up any codes myself, but dealer hooked it up to BUDS today. They called today and said that there were two problems - one that was taken care of (they forgot to reconnect a sensor when they did work on the frunk last month and the ignition had been turned on before it was reconnected - that's been taken care of) The code they are calling BRP about tomorrow is P2806. (Gear position sensor angle - definer area vs. position not plausible)

Guess it would help if I would explain the shifting problem, eh? LOL!! Have had problems with shifting (with and without the RT 622 attached - yes, the trailer mode was on when attached) - would be in first gear, sometimes second and it would not up shift at all! Yes, my RPM's were in the proper range (4900-5100) (the dealer had called me earlier today to see if I knew that the spyder would not shift unless you were in the right RPM's - love being a woman....) I downshifted once to see if it could then get it to shift up and it did. But then another time, it wouldn't downshift either. Another odd thing is that I would be in 1st or 2nd gear and without turning the throttle the RPMs would surge up and then go down. Haven't had either of these problems on our 2012. Any ideas??? Thanks!

Michele

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

It will be interesting to see what is said tomorrow. I never received any active codes - that's what was throwing me off a bit (yes, I have read and learned a lot here on SL!) did the trick to pull any codes up and the screen was blank. The dealer said that's not unusual - but that BUDS would show if there had been any.

Due to my skepticism with dealers, figured I'd pick the brains here for any other insight!

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

The dealer pinned down the problem by looking at the fault code history. He probably has already ordered the Gear Position Sensor to replace yours, which likely has failed. Trust him and let him do his job. JMHO

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

They said they were calling BRP to see what to do about the code Scotty - that's why i wanted to just pick people's brains here. The service manager is new to Spyders... I don't know if he is certified yet or not, know he hasn't even ridden one yet.

Another question - is it possible for them to print out the BUDS diagnostics for our record? Since this is a used spyder, it would be good to have this information for our records I think.
    Last edited by Brew crew; 05-16-2013 at 08:27 PM.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Brew crew View Post
    They said they were calling BRP to see what to do about the code Scotty - that's why i wanted to just pick people's brains here. The service manager is new to Spyders... I don't know if he is certified yet or not, know he hasn't even ridden one yet.

Another question - is it possible for them to print out the BUDS diagnostics for our record? Since this is a used spyder, it would be good to have this information for our records I think.
    Best for them to check with BRP if they are inexperienced...but it sounds like they are on the right track. The BRP support provides a good backup.

It would be difficult for them to print out the diagnostic. You should get a service ticket when repairs are complete. That will list the work they did, for your records.

Spyder Garage

Default Maybe?

When a gear position sensor error comes up it is either a problem with the sensor or a symptom of something else. So let them change the sensor and see if it's fixed.

Now for reving by itself, believe it or not that's normal. When you are stop and shifting gears and it senses that it is unable to complete the shift (whether it's real or a bad sensor) it will rev to 1800 rpm to engage the clutch slightly so the gears in the transmission move and lineup better. It will try this up to 3 times.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I had a similar issue with my 2009 GS SE5 early on and replacing the gear position sensor resolved the issue. I haven't had any trouble since. My wife had an issue with hers a while ago and it was actually the paddle shifter contacts were not working properly. The dealer replaced that and she hasn't had any other issues.

It sounds like your dealer is taking the right steps, and with BRP's help they should be able to sort it all out for you. Hopefully they will have you back on the road very soon.

Spyder Garage

Just had the P2806 code come up 3 times while on the highway in 5th gear Manual Transmission RT SM5 at 60-70 mph, screen went orange and check engine came on BUT each time it lasted just a couple seconds and then everything on the screen turned normal again. It was 43 degrees and running 2 bars.
    I know its Gear Position sensor from my online manual but it seems funny it happens in 5th gear BUT was fine for about 30 minutes when I was on my back roads shifting through the gears???

Thank God I can use the GS tomorrow!
    Last edited by Sarge707; 01-12-2014 at 05:04 PM.

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Seems I'm now having this problem too. We were up on the Blue Ridge Parkway yesterday and had pulled over to the top overlook to snap a pic. I go into reverse, all is fine. I shift into first and ease off the clutch and it dies. I turn it off and back on and get the neutral/reverse lights flashing on the dash with the 'E' in place of the 'N' or other gears. I decided to start it and dropped it in to first gear and all went away. It happened one or two more times over the course of the day but ass soon as I shifted into first gear it all went away. However, I've not been having any problems shifting, or any other problems with the bike, really. Only issue is that we realized last weekend that it was EMPTY of oil. I had an oil change 5 months ago at the dealer so I didn't give the oil much thought since then. Well, guess I should have! She was pretty much dry. Poor girl. So, other than THAT mistake, I've had no problems with her. GRRRRR.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    Just had the P2806 code come up 3 times while on the highway in 5th gear Manual Transmission RT SM5 at 60-70 mph, screen went orange and check engine came on BUT each time it lasted just a couple seconds and then everything on the screen turned normal again. It was 43 degrees and running 2 bars.
    I know its Gear Position sensor from my online manual but it seems funny it happens in 5th gear BUT was fine for about 30 minutes when I was on my back roads shifting through the gears???

Thank God I can use the GS tomorrow!

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Asdgirl View Post
    Seems I'm now having this problem too. We were up on the Blue Ridge Parkway yesterday and had pulled over to the top overlook to snap a pic. I go into reverse, all is fine. I shift into first and ease off the clutch and it dies. I turn it off and back on and get the neutral/reverse lights flashing on the dash with the 'E' in place of the 'N' or other gears. I decided to start it and dropped it in to first gear and all went away. It happened one or two more times over the course of the day but ass soon as I shifted into first gear it all went away. However, I've not been having any problems shifting, or any other problems with the bike, really. Only issue is that we realized last weekend that it was EMPTY of oil. I had an oil change 5 months ago at the dealer so I didn't give the oil much thought since then. Well, guess I should have! She was pretty much dry. Poor girl. So, other than THAT mistake, I've had no problems with her. GRRRRR.
    You should get into the habit of checking the oil after a long ride. The 998 engine can use some oil every 500 miles or so. Sounds like the gear position sensor is going bad.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White